Victor Cruz said he’s ready to go after “nice little wake up call”

Giants receiver Victor Cruz looks for an interference call from the officials after missing a catch in the Dallas Cowboys' endzone during their NFL football game in East Rutherford Reuters

Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz admitted that he thought things were going to be easier in the opener, and seemed to wonder if he was working as hard as he could have.

During his first appearance with Mike Francesa on WFAN (via Newsday’s Tom Rock), Cruz sounded mystified by his three drops against the Cowboys.

“For me personally it was I guess a couple of first game jitters,” Cruz said. “Just trying to, personally, just thinking that the game was going to come to me naturally and I probably didn’t have to, you know, work as hard. But, you know, we got a nice little wake up call, a nice little rude awakening that teams are going to be prepared for us and we’re going to get every team’s best effort.

“I think as a team we’re more prepared and more focused this week.”

Cruz said the Cowboys did “nothing special” scheme-wise, but he is going to have to get used to more attention than he’s received from opposing game planners in the past.

“It’s definitely going to take some getting used to, but I have to understand it,” he said. “I have to understand that I’m going to get every defender’s best effort and everybody is going to be out there to stop me. I just have to come prepared and come with my A game.

“As much as it is going against the top defenders, they have to defend me as well. I’m excited about the challenge this year. Hopefully I can go out there and play my best and good things will come.”

Cruz doesn’t have the luxury of sneaking up on teams anymore. And after taking the path he’s taken, it’s hard to imagine him taking his success for granted, and not putting in the work required.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Victor Cruz said he’s ready to go after “nice little wake up call””
  1. japslapopa says: Sep 11, 2012 7:15 PM

Looks like the curse of the soup

2. koreatowng11 says: Sep 11, 2012 7:31 PM

“Just trying to, personally, just thinking that the game was going to come to me naturally and I probably didn’t have to, you know, work as hard.”

Sounds like a true professional. First game of the week against a divisional rival and you want the ball to “naturally” stick to your gloves? Hey Victor, nice commercial but you’re not a Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald buddy. Next time you underestimate a team or overestimate your talent level, you will cost your team another loss.

3. lolo376 says: Sep 11, 2012 8:31 PM

The Giants have a history of not making the playoffs after winning the super bowl (check the stats) seems like it can be that case again if one of their best receivers thinks he doesn’t have to try hard this early.

4. cometophillyforthecrack says: Sep 11, 2012 9:03 PM

Haha the next miles austin. Victor Cruz is a one year wonder.

5. bluebongzilla says: Sep 11, 2012 9:26 PM

“And after taking the path he’s taken, it’s hard to imagine him taking his success for granted, and not putting in the work required.”

Hard to imagine, but it sure looks that’s what he’s saying he has done. PFT has kinda said the same thing about Romo, though.

6. dirtybuc says: Sep 11, 2012 9:47 PM

He better prepare for this game against Tampa. Something tells me rookie safety Mark Barron is ready to ring his bell when he comes across the middle of the field. Its gonna be an interesting to see what will come as a result of Eli going against his old QB coach who is now the new OC for Tampa. Will NY be able to exploit Tampa Bays newfound pass rush?

7. roadtrip3500 says: Sep 11, 2012 11:01 PM

Condolences to Cruz and his family on the loss of his grandmother, the woman who inspired his salsa TD dance.

8. TheWizard says: Sep 12, 2012 12:16 AM

An example of how stupid this guy is:

Last season I heard him on a national radio show talking about how he was taught to “have respect for everybody”.

Then they did a 5 minute segment on his end zone dance.

9. salventuri says: Sep 12, 2012 11:47 AM

Cruz will be just fine. The entire Giants team looked unprepared and possibly a bit nervous although the lack of talent in the secondary is a big concern and its going to hurt all year long.

And really, “Prince I-Should-Be-On-The-Practice-Squad Amukamara” is a joke. I’d start Coe over him in a heartbeat.

I’m a huge Giants fan and honestly would be more than satisfied with 10-6 this year. They’ve kept me happy lately, gotta cut them some slack. Last year had to suck a ton of emotion from this squad.

On a side note, I wonder how many times Colts owner Rob Isray was vomiting after watching RGIII last week? Wish he was with Indy, last thing I wanted this guy is in the NFC East. He looks good….real good.

10. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Sep 12, 2012 1:00 PM

Cruz realizes now that this was not the 2011 Cowboys. While they didn’t really do anything surprising scheme wise, this year the Cowboy secondary did what they do better.

11. kev86 says: Sep 12, 2012 2:50 PM

??? he was wide open and dropped three passes. take it down a notch ya 1-0 big bad cowbullies.

12. bigbluefan1 says: Sep 12, 2012 7:12 PM

koreatowng11 says:Sep 11, 2012 7:31 PM

_________________________________
    Your right he is not Johnson or Fitzgerald he has done things they may never do.
    Such as score in an super bowl and wear the ring of a champion

13. koreatowng11 says: Sep 12, 2012 7:34 PM

First off, Fitzgerald has scored in a Super Bowl.

Secondly, you’re missing the point. I’m talking about professionalism along with preperation. If Johnson and Fitz had the same supporting cast as the Giants, a superbowl would be close to a guarantee for them. For a person to have 1 standout year and to come back the following season to expect great things to happen without working hard just shows how his 2 minutes of fame got him overly big-headed. It might be a safe assumption to believe Mr. Cruz had too much salsa before the game.

Oh and FYI, winning a superbowl does not guarantee anything in this league especially the outcome of one’s career. Just ask Plaxico.

14. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Sep 12, 2012 7:41 PM

Ronde Barber and Mark Barron got something for you Mr. Salsa dancer.