Broncos fans complain about pigeon droppings

A pigeon walks on the pitch during the English Premier League soccer match between Chelsea and Newcastle United at Stamford Bridge in London Reuters

Peyton Manning might have won his first regular season game as Broncos quarterback, but all was not well at Sports Authority Field on Sunday night.

The problem actually started somewhere above Sports Authority Field, actually. That’s where pigeons were congregating and using the fans sitting below them as target practice. Their ammunition? Feces.

Two of the fans pelted by pigeon droppings spoke to the Coloradoan about their unpleasant experience in the stands on Sunday night. They said that several people sitting in their section were hit and that workers at the stadium told them that it has been an ongoing problem.

“There’s actually a plastic owl,” Jeff Harden, one of the affected fans, said. “I’m sure they set that up there at one point to deter the pigeons. It’s obviously not working. It’s a health issue. There’s people with drinks. There’s open food containers.”

The company responsible for stadium maintainence, Stadium Management Company, released a statement to the paper.

“We strive to ensure that all fans have a positive experience during Broncos games, and their safety and comfort is our No. 1 priority. Unfortunately, outdoor stadiums do sometimes have issues with birds.”

This isn’t the first time we’ve heard about unpleasant run-ins with flying animals at football games this season. Fans at a Ravens preseason game had a run in with a bat, sparking a brief fear that they may have been exposed to rabies. No one wound up being infected and there haven’t been any reports of vampires running amok in Charm City, however.

The silver lining for Broncos fans? Getting pooped on by pigeons is far better than if it were the Raiders.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
25 Responses to “Broncos fans complain about pigeon droppings”
  1. robgilman says: Sep 12, 2012 4:40 PM

Oakland carrier pigeons, sending the message

2. scoops1 says: Sep 12, 2012 4:41 PM

It’s good luck

3. tannethrill says: Sep 12, 2012 4:44 PM

When they’re gone next week know that the stadium crew killed all of them in the name of football.

4. gtrav says: Sep 12, 2012 4:49 PM

I’d like to thank these pigeons for creating a Broncos story not about Peyton Manning.

5. schmitty2 says: Sep 12, 2012 4:52 PM

It’s all good. The Broncos crapped all over the Steeler’s too. Par for the course

6. jkjdawg1 says: Sep 12, 2012 5:00 PM

The Broncos are about to have another unpleasant run-in with flying animals, when they arrive in Atlanta Monday night.

7. niners816 says: Sep 12, 2012 5:01 PM

Those damn pigeons.

8. kwoodc says: Sep 12, 2012 5:01 PM

9. trevor123698 says: Sep 12, 2012 5:03 PM

heres the easy solution. Play the sound of pigeons dying.

10. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins says: Sep 12, 2012 5:09 PM

Meanwhile, Seahawks fans complain about receiver droppings.

11. lilb360 says: Sep 12, 2012 5:20 PM

Oh noooo some rich yuppie got pooped on sitting in his corporations field level fifty yard line seats.
    Me and some buddies flew from Seattle to Denver a few years ago to watch my favorite team get crushed by the chiefs that and to take in some of the finest gentlmens clubs in the country( shotgun willies anyone). Point is I was disgusted that pretty much from 30 yard line to 30 yard line on both sides of the field were practically empty (they were in a playoff race too) I asked a worker at the stadium about the empty seats and he said most are season tickets bought by companies who give them out to rich friends and clients.
    And the broncos wonder why the their home field advantage isn’t what bit once was.
    Kind of rambled a bit I know. I think that if by the end of the first quarter the good seats aren’t filled the teams should let the real fans come down from the nosebleed seats. I hate rich fake fans, who use football games as a status symbol.

12. broncosnative says: Sep 12, 2012 5:24 PM

This is why I watch my broncos games on a big 55 inch flat screen tv in hd at home, so I wont have to worry about getting pooped on, bitten, fights or shot.

13. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 12, 2012 5:30 PM

I nearly spat out my Dr. Brown’s cola reading this.

14. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Sep 12, 2012 5:31 PM

Get a dome.

15. hrmlss says: Sep 12, 2012 6:03 PM

It would probably improve the taste of a stadium hot dog.

16. hrmlss says: Sep 12, 2012 6:05 PM

“I am a commercial property manager and the only way to get rid of pigeons is to purchase a falcon.”

Isn’t an F-16 a little overkill for a few birds?

17. Broncofanatic7 says: Sep 12, 2012 7:48 PM

@lilb360 Shotgun Willies… well played sir :)

18. silverbleedblack says: Sep 12, 2012 8:30 PM

They were at the wrong game. They should have been helping my Raider’s special teams.

19. tommyribs says: Sep 12, 2012 8:31 PM

Get a couple of guys with Falcons, that will take care of the issue.

20. joetoronto says: Sep 13, 2012 5:21 AM

They saw all those Donkeys sitting there and couldn’t resist.

21. db105 says: Sep 13, 2012 6:10 AM

PETA will take care the issue.

22. yssupasigninnamnotyep says: Sep 14, 2012 12:20 AM

This organization deserves to get crapped on daily…bunch of losers.

23. denverscott says: Sep 14, 2012 5:52 PM

Yeah right home stool. I would introduce you but VonDoomerWolfe will make the introductions themselves. It’s gonna be bad for the home fans. Oh, and Peyton will say “Hi” as well.

24. denverscott says: Sep 14, 2012 5:54 PM

This organization deserves to get crapped on daily…bunch of losers.

And you root for who? I mean besides your sister on prom night. We hear you yelling “swallow, swallow”. Sad dude.

25. yssupasigninnamnotyep says: Sep 15, 2012 9:28 PM

I’m pretty sure swallowing is what you were doing on prom night denverscott. I hear that’s what most Donkey fans are famous for…that and giving Elway rim jobs.