Get ready for Griffining

Washington Redskins' Griffin III celebrates after passing for an 88-yard touchdown against New Orleans Saints during their NFL game in New Orleans Reuters

Trey Parker and Matt Stone were right, as usual.

One of the funniest South Park episodes pokes fun at memes, from Tebowing to Faith Hilling to Taylor Swifting to the talking cat that says “Oh long Johnson.”

As the NFL goes, Tebowing is so 2011.  The new brand new thing is Griffining.

Yes, Griffining.  Which consists of celebrating by sitting on one’s butt and pointing with both hands, like Robert Griffin III did after throwing an 88-yard touchdown pass to Pierre Garçon.  (It actually looks a lot like Taylor Swifting.)

“Who would have thought getting knocked on your butt and throwing a touchdown would start a phenomenon like that?” Griffin said Wednesday, via Tarik El-Bashir of CSNWashington.com.  “Griffining and RGIII and whatever they want to call it, I’m not opposed to it.  It’s pretty funny to me.”

It may be funny for now.  But it’ll quickly become tired and old and overplayed, if it takes off like Tebowing did.

And folks will be doing it until everyone decides next year to start Matt Barkleying.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
38 Responses to “Get ready for Griffining”
  1. voiceofreasonsays says: Sep 12, 2012 10:59 PM

I do the Griffining pose everytime RGIII proves me right in the sea of haters here on PFT. Get ready Rams…Redskins 45, Rams 13. In fact if we aren’t undefeated by the time we face the Steelers, I’ll retire from commenting on this site.

2. gunndlewittlebaum says: Sep 12, 2012 10:59 PM

Two of the best things the internet has going for it are memes and naked people. Don’t rock the boat, Florio. We all know you’re into both of them.

3. vendictar says: Sep 12, 2012 10:59 PM

As long as Griffin does not do it on the sidelines before every game, it really won’t bother me. It’s not like he even did it on purpose. He seems to really only be focused on Football, which is a good thing.

4. sadskinsfan89 says: Sep 12, 2012 11:07 PM

I dont care what he does after just keep throwing touchdowns

5. huskersrock1 says: Sep 12, 2012 11:20 PM

Actually it looks more like Bradying, although under different circumstances.

6. gaykegayden says: Sep 12, 2012 11:32 PM

If you actually believe that’s one of the funniest South Park episodes, you must have started tuning in no more than two years ago.

7. howiefeltersnatch says: Sep 12, 2012 11:33 PM

Brandon Weedening – staring at your empty hands wondering where the football is at

8. veraky says: Sep 12, 2012 11:34 PM

This is getting stupid, not at the fault of RG III obviously. I don’t know if football is getting to main stream but things that should not be getting any real notice are turning into TMZ headlines. Apparently the media can’t be just happy with the fact that RG III had a great game, they have to give him his own “thing” as well.

Oh and voiceofreasonsays congrats, I hear you’ve been named the official semen receptacle sponsor for RG III, I know you’ve worked really hard at sucking on his nuts over the last few months, you are a testament that hard work or in your case hard sucking, can really pay off.

9. bkostela says: Sep 12, 2012 11:39 PM

conveniently, “vicking” and “romoing” can also be done while on the ground. “romoing” is done in the same position as griffining but with your hands covering your face, and “vicking” is done while laying on the ground and clutching a random injured body part.

10. voiceofreasonsays says: Sep 12, 2012 11:53 PM

veraky says:
    Sep 12, 2012 11:34 PM
    ——
    Your joke bombed harder than all the other rookie QBs in Week 1 not named Robert Griffin.

Oh and fun fact, RGIII according to ESPN, Griffin has “earned more than any other rookie in NFL history before throwing his first regular-season pass,” largely as a result of endorsements…Griffin has signed a number of endorsement deals from companies such as adidas, Castrol Motor Oil, EA Sports, EvoShield, Gatorade, Nissan, and Subway. Boom. That’s right, my QB can play AND sell you a product at the same. He’s that incredible…don’t get mad at me that he’s not your QB.

11. tfbuckfutter says: Sep 13, 2012 12:10 AM

Don’t worry. It won’t become annoying because no one who has ever Tebowed will ever Griffin because he’s not the right….ahh….shade for them.

12. stricknineskinz says: Sep 13, 2012 12:19 AM

I am a die hard Skins fan and I love RGIII, but I WILL say that voiceofreasonsays doesnt seem to have any reason in anything he says.

Of course these athletes like RGIII and Tebow wont tell anyone to stop this nonsense, as reacting negatively to something their fans do would reflect poorly on themselves. I, however, have no such problem. Please stop this nonsense! Seriously, what is wrong with people? We are a nation of lemmings. Ugh

13. broncosnative says: Sep 13, 2012 12:25 AM

You know what, I wouldn’t rule them out from going undefeated leading up to the steelers game. Only the falcons and giants gonna give them competition and of the two, giants are the most likely to upset. Let’s see, they have to rams, Bengals, bucs, and vikings, neither of these QBs are at RG3 level yet. I could easily see them finishing 11-5 possibly 12-4 with this easy schedule. Flacco, Ryan and big ben is the only competition outside their division, RG3 has it easier than luck to succeed the first year though both will be good.

14. voiceandreason says: Sep 13, 2012 12:36 AM

Sitting on his butt throwing his hands in the air is something bob is going to do alot during his short career. Except it’s going to be after thrown down and mad that he just threw an interception.
    Doesn’t matter anyway the deadskins are going to finish last in the NFC EAST anyway.
    deadskins- forever in the cellar

15. bluebongzilla says: Sep 13, 2012 1:03 AM

You take a QB that high, he either wins you a Super Bowl or he’s a bust.

16. RUAHORNH8R says: Sep 13, 2012 1:08 AM

Voiceofreason, it’s been 1 game Bro!!! All Rooks will have their ups & downs, time will tell. But apparently you are too busy blushing over your Man crush to notice! You have got to be in full support of same Sex Marriage! Poodle-sniffer! Get outta the closet with your pink RG3 jersey & your neon addidas……..

17. expodis says: Sep 13, 2012 1:13 AM

I look the same during a power dump. No big deal really

18. butkusditka says: Sep 13, 2012 1:23 AM

Voiceofreason vs voiceandreason…..it’s like a presidential election!!! You ask yourself “which one of these clowns is less of a water head?!”

19. ddogdaddy says: Sep 13, 2012 1:34 AM

@stricknineskinz
    See I knew there people like you out there. A true fan who doesnt feel the need to talk crap about any qb other then Bob and other teams that aren’t named after native Americans. I’ll be damned. You must feel like Snooki’s parents feel after watching her on Jersey Shore having to listen to idiots like voiceofreasonsays. Keep up the good fight brother and root like hell for your favorite team. I know I will. Go Colts.

20. ddogdaddy says: Sep 13, 2012 1:37 AM

What’s a lemming?

21. scalfor3 says: Sep 13, 2012 2:29 AM

guys played one game. keep it in your pants, skins fans

22. jimcaldwellsucks says: Sep 13, 2012 3:33 AM

Of course a new fad could be called Lucking… it’s a synonym for sucking..> The Colts have been doing it for 2 years…. 2 years AP After Peyton…

Good call Irsay.

23. mcbleezy5150 says: Sep 13, 2012 4:22 AM

That’s the stupidest f****ng thing Ive ever heard. Griffin will fall down to earth. Go ahead, put him in Canton after one good week against a terrible defense. Wait til a real defense starts smacking him around, “griffining” will end.

24. randallflagg52 says: Sep 13, 2012 4:40 AM

ChadJohnsoning consists of head butting your gold digging wife.

25. nokoolaidcowboy says: Sep 13, 2012 5:06 AM

Rather than Tebowing or Griffening…how about just Play-ing?

26. gweez76 says: Sep 13, 2012 5:40 AM

I’m a life long Skins fan. I went to their last SB as a kid and let me tell you, this stuff is going too far. Griffin ing is annoying as are the posts. It’s one game.

Enough gloating, enough booing Rex. Everyone just calm down.

Well….except for making fun of Peytonsneck. I’m ok with that.

27. bobzilla1001 says: Sep 13, 2012 5:50 AM

This Bob Griffin seems like a really nice kid. But he sure is overexposed.
    Give it a rest.

28. graham4jc says: Sep 13, 2012 6:28 AM

deadskins- forever in the cellar
    _________________________

Bwahahahahaaa!

Oh wait, you were serious?!? OK, well, you are OBVIOUSLY the voice and reason around here #sarcasm

29. raiders757 says: Sep 13, 2012 7:47 AM

I’m sorry, but the likes of “planking” and “Tebowing” are carried out by shallow minded moronic sheep. It’s pathetic and sad. It’s not funny, nor cute, or clever. Your just being an idiot when doing something so stupid. Please people, just stop. Your making all of America look just as dumb as the rest of world thinks we are.

30. discosucs2005 says: Sep 13, 2012 7:53 AM

“In fact if we aren’t undefeated by the time we face the Steelers, I’ll retire from commenting on this site.”

No offense Redskins or RG3, I have nothing against either of you, but I really want the Skins to lose a game before they play Pittsburgh so we never have to listen to “voiceofreasonsays” say anything ever again.

31. cowboyhater says: Sep 13, 2012 8:01 AM

My own personal voice of reason tells me that this nonsense is driving me crazy concerning all this coverage. I just want my skins to fly under the radar, and sneak up on their opponents, but this will not be possible with the media making up a bunch of crap concerning RG3. Griffining? Really? That’s just ridiculous. I’m just looking for this kid the to continue to mature as a professional football player, and for the entire team to play consistent good football every week. Let’s not forget fellow skins fans, we still have a ton of holes to worry about. Our O-line is mediocre, and have no safeties, and average corners. Let’s chill out until we see consecutive good performances from the TEAM, not just from one QB. HTTR!!

32. crubenst says: Sep 13, 2012 8:02 AM

Tebowing is old because Tebow is no longer relevant. As long as RGIII keeps playing like the best QB in the game, Griffening will never get old. Tough task though.

33. mattyj7183 says: Sep 13, 2012 8:30 AM

I like RGIIIng. I am going to call it that.

34. theralph2012 says: Sep 13, 2012 8:31 AM

I thought Griffining was when you pull in 10 million dollars for pumping up five dollar footlongs for 30 seconds.

35. marko959 says: Sep 13, 2012 8:47 AM

Looks like fun, but I’m not flexible enough to sit with my legs straight.

36. thesmartestmanever says: Sep 13, 2012 11:02 AM

well i suppose we could all go out and beat up our mommies and call it DezBryanting, or perhaps we could lock college girls in the bathroom and do some bigbenning but my favorite would be to have the whole world tell me that i am capable of going all the way only to believe my own hype and then fail, yews it’s called Cowboying up….

37. redskins8310 says: Sep 13, 2012 7:24 PM

HTTR….

38. scalfor3 says: Sep 14, 2012 12:34 PM

funneling vodka mixed with red bull and protein shakes is now referred to as “gronking”