NFL security says Raiders have cleaned up the Black Hole

San Diego Chargers v Oakland Raiders Getty Images

The enhanced security measures that the Raiders have implemented for their home games haven’t made the Black Hole a totally peaceful place — as the photo here of two fans fighting at Monday night’s opener demonstrates — but the NFL’s security department says the atmosphere for games in Oakland is getting better.

Jeff Miller, the head of NFL security, told the Bay Area News Group that the Raiders as a franchise have done a lot to make their stadium safer, and that the vast majority of Raiders fans want to attend games in a safe environment.

“One of the first games I worked when I came to the league was here, on a Monday night [in 2008], and it was a tough situation,” Miller said. “I’ll tell you what, each year they’ve made tremendous improvement and it’s turned around significantly. A lot of that has to do with the assistance we get from the fans.”

The NFL has required all teams to use metal detectors at their home stadiums, and the Raiders told fans that security will be so thorough this year that they should arrive two hours early to make sure they can get to their seats in time. That’s been met with mixed reviews from fans, some of whom say it makes them feel safer while others say the wait time is unacceptable.

In Oakland, the league says security is working.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
40 Responses to “NFL security says Raiders have cleaned up the Black Hole”
  1. shadcan says: Sep 12, 2012 7:06 PM

I really love football but it makes me weep for humanity that people routinely resort to fistacuffs because their team lost.

2. mikealstott says: Sep 12, 2012 7:07 PM

That’s what she said!

3. askmarc says: Sep 12, 2012 7:10 PM

I’ve walked right in the games this year. No wait, no lines. Last year lines were sometimes over an hour for pat downs. The big difference is no “merging”. Separating the women and men for patdowns was a disaster.

4. pick6ftw says: Sep 12, 2012 7:11 PM

i really see no problem with two guys going at it with their fists. damn that dude got pwned though; every snapped pictured captured a punch to the grill.

5. vincentbojackson says: Sep 12, 2012 7:12 PM

Where was Raiders security when the Bengals robbed them of multiple draft picks in exchange for their aging quarterback?

6. spellingcopfather says: Sep 12, 2012 7:14 PM

Dude fist is in that mans mout!!!

7. sfm073 says: Sep 12, 2012 7:14 PM

What a pathetic city.

8. tehsideshow says: Sep 12, 2012 7:15 PM

I saw this fight, it was actually NOT IN THE BLACK HOLE. Lets be clear on facts, the back hole is the Southern end zone. This fight took place on the away team sideline seats. You almost never see fights in the black hole.

9. radrntn says: Sep 12, 2012 7:15 PM

two hours is not necessary….. I had friends said they came in 45 minutes and there were no lines to get in. I showed up an hour early , no lines to see the pre game Ice Cube show, who showed up 5 minutes before kickoff…go figure

anyway to show a picture of two knuckleheads fighting, instead of showing the tens of thousands of raider fans , and the three chargers fan that showed up having a great time is not really that fair. Most fans were clapping when these two guys got tossed out and locked up…..I know all venues have fights….very rarely do fights ever break out in the black hole part of the stadium.

10. villa41 says: Sep 12, 2012 7:16 PM

Look let’s stop stereotyping fans and cities. I’ve gone to numerous games at the Coliseum, and I can tell you with certainty that there are much worse places as it relates to safety. How do I know this? Because I’ve gone to stadiums all over the country with the Raiders as the visitor.

I’ve been to the old Three Rivers, Philly, and many others. Without question Buffalo is the worst of them all. The fans in Philly are sweethearts at there core. Buffalo has a real bunch of knuckleheads in the upper deck. I’ve never felt I would have to throw down at a game – except in Buffalo.

11. magnetik713 says: Sep 12, 2012 7:18 PM

You know it’s real bad when it’s unsafe even when rooting for the home team.

12. tehsideshow says: Sep 12, 2012 7:25 PM

Both combatants were Raider fans, most likely fighting over spilled nachos. GO RAIDERS!

13. britishraven says: Sep 12, 2012 7:30 PM

I went to SD @ Oak a couple of years ago and it was probably the most intimidated I’ve ever been. Walking out of the metro station into a caged walkway over a road without a steward/cop in sight was a fairly bad start followed by: fights in the toilets/seating areas, people smoking weed in the concourse. Can it get worse than that?

14. bobnelsonjr says: Sep 12, 2012 7:30 PM

Knife attacks are better than shootings.

Beatings are better than knife attackss.

Fights are better than beatings.

Improvement no matter how minute is progress and someday, Bigfoot, the Chupacabra, and a sober Raider’s “fan” might all be seen.

15. n001363 says: Sep 12, 2012 7:40 PM

I’m sure they think they’ve all got it made out there because of the weather. Just proves Oakland is one large open air penitentiary. Sad!

16. montsta says: Sep 12, 2012 7:45 PM

I’m a Bay Area Carolina fan, and only get to see my Panthers when they play @SF or @Oakland. I’ve been to many games at both as a visitor and can honestly say I’ve encountered MUCH more problems at Candlestick than I ever have at the O.co coliseum. I will say I felt kinda badass wearing my Steve Smith jersey across the BART ramp though.

17. tlaw21 says: Sep 12, 2012 7:46 PM

britishraven says:Sep 12, 2012 7:30 PM

———————————————————-

Dude I’ve seen people fighting and smoking weed at Lambeau which many say is the most fan friendly stadium in football so what’s the big deal??? I’d rather hang out with a bunch of stoners than drunks anyways since that’s how 99% of fights happen

18. calibear831 says: Sep 12, 2012 7:55 PM

I was @ the.game, ant to tell u the truth i didn’t see one single fights that night. . .usually i get to see 2-3 fights

19. hummer53 says: Sep 12, 2012 8:17 PM

A Raider game at night with Ice Cube before the game. And there were fights? I’m shocked.

20. carlsbadboltfan says: Sep 12, 2012 9:00 PM

Villa! You gonna just take that punch? LOL!

21. alzwalker says: Sep 12, 2012 9:09 PM

One time I went to a fight, and a Raider game broke out!

22. bigbluecrew420 says: Sep 12, 2012 9:31 PM

Just bring one to the house and shut um up….

Kids lightning out there and will be a stud just remember to hold on tight to the pigskin

23. remok9 says: Sep 12, 2012 9:43 PM

____________________________________

Agreed, I’m an Eagles fan and live in the East Bay, been to both Raider and 49er vs the Eagles games in the past 25years. Sadly the SF crowd has been far worse for the past few.

24. jolink653 says: Sep 12, 2012 9:47 PM

I love how that guy’s fist and the cop’s baton are both getting to their targets at the same time…I’m sure neither guy had a fun morning

25. arzcardinals says: Sep 12, 2012 9:54 PM

I didn’t go to this years Cards vs Raiders game due to the violence that comes with it.
    …I wasn’t shocked to find out a Raider fan shot a Cardinals fan outside the game.
    Raider fans are the scum of the NFL fans…ask anyone who has season tickets for any team. They show up looking for fights.
    Dallas fans are 2nd worse

26. tsimpson50 says: Sep 12, 2012 10:12 PM

Awesome, the guy who is punching the man is about to get jacked with a night stick.. :)

27. war27 says: Sep 12, 2012 10:55 PM

Go to Pittsburgh and tell me about bad fans. 3 visits there and not 10 minutes go by that there wasn’t a visual fight going on in some section of the stadium.

Some “lady” wanted to beat me up for wearing a Raiders hat on while getting a beer one visit. She was stopped by her boyfriend/husband and she ended up punching him in the face and breaking his tooth.

I too have been to many stadiums all over the country and there is nothing like that poophole in Pittsburgh. I will say the lower levels are fine. it’s the people with the welfare tickets that are the issue.

28. ravensoriolesnation says: Sep 12, 2012 11:00 PM

I agree with tlaws comments, I’ve been all threw the country and many stadiums the Eagles Monday night is the worst I’ve ever seen, I don’t even know where to start. just that the police have sheilds and roit gear on , when a huge brawl brock out in the uperdeck , the visiting fan we decked out in their team colors and were humiliated, cursed at, hit with batteries , drinks thrown ay them , it was a experience, I got the hell out of there. When we went to ate seats I notest bottles of wiskey lined up under the seats as far as the eye could see…and the smell of pot , was everywhere..this is the truth.

29. maiphatdong says: Sep 12, 2012 11:02 PM

Sign that guy up Gaider Nation, hes the only one wearing silver and black that actually put up a fight that night.

30. Grinds My Gear says: Sep 12, 2012 11:46 PM

The black hole is always peaceful, once you get into section 1xx down towards the field most fans are die hard Raider fans. I mean I hate to say it, you go to any game and the further away, the cheaper the seats, the more “ghetto” the fans and that applies at any sporting events.

31. moss49thteam says: Sep 13, 2012 12:14 AM

I have been to quite a few games over the years in Oakland. I can honestly state that I have never felt in danger or that I needed security assistance.

I did get pelted with a beer bottle in Philly, I was walking out of the concourse and got nailed. In no way was I the intended target. I also have had numerous suction cup tipped arrows shot my way in KC, had dog biscuits thrown at me in Cleveland, wore beers in New York and Baltimore, and have walked away with drinking buddies in Pittsburgh/Dallas/Tampa/Chicago/New Orleans/Seattle/Tennessee and more.

I think you get out of your game day experience what you put into it. Oakland is no more violent then the upper deck in Jacksonville. Sometimes you just have to respect that you are in another persons house.

32. mullman76 says: Sep 13, 2012 1:02 AM

RAIDER haters are the biggest bunch of donkeys known to man.

Bunch of narrow minded kooks.

33. jfinn5 says: Sep 13, 2012 3:49 AM

Does anybody believe anything that comes out of the NFL commissioners office?

34. tatum064 says: Sep 13, 2012 4:17 AM

shadcan says:
    Sep 12, 2012 7:06 PM

—————————-

Cry me a river. People shouldn’t antagonize others because the opposing team won, either – and it just doesnt happen in Oakland, it happens in Philly and a lot of other venues.

Theirs sportsmanship , and there’s arrogance, too.

35. nokoolaidcowboy says: Sep 13, 2012 5:08 AM

You really need a life if you resort to violence over sports entertainment.

36. aljack88 says: Sep 13, 2012 6:20 AM

tsimpson50 says:
    Sep 12, 2012 10:12 PM

———————————————————-

and I betcha that night stick came down more than a few times…

37. nflofficeadmin says: Sep 13, 2012 8:06 AM

c’mon g’s, we gotta put down the gatz.

38. raiderdeejay says: Sep 13, 2012 10:44 AM

In response to your comment.. 1st of all it was a Cardinal fan who shot a Raider fan. I heard the Card fan happen to be a formal shady cop from NY who “accidently shot the guy in the eye” in so called self defense.
    I’m a Raider fan was at the game and actually tailgated next to Card fans with no problems occuring before,during or after. Only heard about the incident which occured in the way north parking alot way from the stadium from a friend who text me. If you want to talk about Cards fans this past weekend multiple fights with Seahawk fans in parking lot a friend of mine told me…..

arzcardinals says:
    Sep 12, 2012 9:54 PM
    Dallas fans are 2nd worse

39. radrntn says: Sep 13, 2012 11:40 AM

arzcardinals says:
    Sep 12, 2012 9:54 PM

__________________________________

now thats funny. A guy who lives in Arizona and complaining about gun control…. Next we are going to have a eskimo complaining about how cold it is ……At least the cardinal fans wear red, so it matches their necks.

40. dougydougdoug says: Sep 13, 2012 7:16 PM

Don’t forget. It’s Mexi-CAN…not Mexi-CAN’T.