When ball left his foot, David Akers thought he’d missed record kick

San Francisco 49ers v Green Bay Packers Getty Images

In the moments after he booted a record-tying 63-yard field goal on Sunday, 49ers kicker David Akers wore a look of shock on his face. That’s because Akers thought he missed.

Akers says that while he knew he’d have to kick the ball with a lot of power to make a 63-yard field goal, he was also making a conscious effort to kick it straight as well. When the ball left his foot, he thought he had put too much emphasis on kicking it straight and that he hadn’t kicked with enough power, and he was surprised when the ball hit the crossbar and bounced over.

“You have to do two things on every kick: You have to get it long enough and you’ve got to get it between the sticks,” Akers said. “The one thing I didn’t want to do is overkick it. I almost didn’t hit it, I thought, well enough. That’s where a lot of the shock came from. To me I just think it’s a blessing and a miracle, honestly, for my own little personal deal. That’s the way I saw it. I was like, ‘There’s no way I hit it good enough.'”

Akers, whose previous career long was 57 yards, is still surprised he made it.

“I thought it was amazing. Again, you hit it and you don’t think you hit it well enough, then it hits the crossbar. I’m like, ‘All right, that’s going to be great, you have 63 and you came up an inch short,’ and then it was the opposite and it went in,” Akers said.

Akers’ kick on Sunday came on the last play of the first half, so the 49ers didn’t have to worry about giving the Packers good field position if Akers had missed. But 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh has said he’d consider sending Akers out to kick from as long as 60 yards, even if it weren’t just before halftime or the end of a game. Harbaugh may be more confident in Akers’ leg than Akers.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
18 Responses to “When ball left his foot, David Akers thought he’d missed record kick”
  1. philyeagles5 says: Sep 12, 2012 9:09 PM

way to go Eagles.

2. madesian says: Sep 12, 2012 9:10 PM

I was lucky enough to see it live and it was honestly one of the more entertaining plays of the day. I know I’ll catch some flack for saying that but it’s true.

I’ll never forget the shocked look Akers had when it went in. It was just a heck of a kick. I don’t think it would have been as cool if it didn’t hit the crossbars.

Good job by Akers, I hope he doesn’t burn the Vikings with another great kick like that in week three though.

Skol Vikings.

3. blacknole08 says: Sep 12, 2012 9:10 PM

When he made that kick I had a feeling it would be the 49ers day.

4. blue18hutthutt says: Sep 12, 2012 9:50 PM

Akers is a guy you can’t help but root for

5. scoobaj says: Sep 12, 2012 10:22 PM

the packers offense didn’t show up that game at all, they are not that bad, and the 9er’s aren’t that good. week 2 will show that

6. renoedge says: Sep 12, 2012 10:26 PM

That was an awesome kick…an awesome bounce….and an awesome reaction. The Packers cornerback J. Bush said the team didn’t execute and Akers had nothing to do with that kicks success.

7. discosucs2005 says: Sep 12, 2012 10:30 PM

8. hookem6903 says: Sep 12, 2012 10:30 PM

Not a fan of the Niners, but this was a fantastic moment as a football fan. Good for him.

9. ravensoriolesnation says: Sep 12, 2012 10:32 PM

the kick of the year, one feild goal that will empower the team for the entire season ……way to go great kick:…………he deserves this

10. thenewenglandpatriots12 says: Sep 12, 2012 10:58 PM

What a truly inspiring story…👎

11. whatchutalkinabouthillis says: Sep 13, 2012 12:23 AM

Official record says they tied but I think Akers beat Dempsey by half a foot.

12. georgeblanda says: Sep 13, 2012 12:28 AM

Like many Forty Niner fans, I am also a fan of Aaron Rogers, since his days at Cal. This game was an “edge of your seat” day at our home. But I must say, the look on David Akers face after this kick was the highlight of the game. It is so refreshing to see an athlete not point to himself, or the name on his jersey when something goes well. Akers is all about the team. He deserved that great moment and the joy on his face and his teammates surrounding him was fantastic to see. This guy is great to his teammates and his coaches and the fans. He was great to the Eagle fans when he was let go by his former team. Just a classy guy and a skilled athlete.

13. areyesrn says: Sep 13, 2012 2:09 AM

during his final years with the Eagles, seemed like he couldn’t successfully kick it ball over 40-45 yards anymore…

14. sjoyner59 says: Sep 13, 2012 5:19 AM

As a eagles season ticket holder for a long time I can tell you David Akers is a class act.After not being resigned by the eagles he purchased a billboard by our home stadium thanking all the eagles fans for supporting him for his time in Philly.Even though he plays for another the 49ers now I still route for him and was happy to see him tie the longest field goal record-I thank him for all he did for us in his time in Philly !

15. raiders757 says: Sep 13, 2012 8:00 AM

“discosucs2005 says: Sep 12, 2012 10:30 PM

The really amazing thing was that it was that far and not in Denver. There should be a little footnote about that in the record books.”

———————————

Then they might as well add in that footnote that it barely made it, and that Jano’s had several yards to spare and would have easily made it in any city at any altitude.

Not taking anything away from Akers kick, as that was an exciting bounce in the right direction, but there is no reason to try and take away the credit Jano deserves for his, as he cleared the cross bar with plenty of room to spare. Being in Denver had little to do with it.

16. electionconfidential says: Sep 13, 2012 8:06 AM

That was fun to watch. I was still a kid when Tom Dempsey kicked the first 63 yard field goal in New Orleans (1970). They never played Saints games live on TV back then, so I saw it as a replay.

Akers kick is the only 63 yarder since then not kicked in Denver, so it’s quite an accomplishment. Having it hit the crossbar and bounce over was priceless.

17. bubba9er says: Sep 13, 2012 3:22 PM

I have watched a lot of football over the years, and seen a lot of kicks hit the “sticks” as Akers puts it. I have seen plenty of them bounce off the inside of the uprights and go through, some grazing, and some taking dramatic bounces on their way through.

In all my life I have never seen a kick hit the CROSSBAR, bounce ten feet up and go through. You see many that hit the crossbar and bounce out or go straight down, but this was one of the coolest things ever. If anyone can think of another time a kick has hit the crossbar and bounced over, let me know.

18. whatchutalkinabouthillis says: Sep 13, 2012 4:50 PM