Andy Reid cuts back on media access to Eagles practices

Philadelphia Eagles v Cleveland Browns Getty Images

Eagles coach Andy Reid has decided to be less open with the media.

Reid told the reporters who cover the team today that he has decided to give them less access to practices. In the past, Reid allowed reporters to watch full practices on both Thursdays and Fridays. Now Reid is only allowing reporters to attend the first 30 minutes of practice, which is what NFL rules require every team to allow.

“My No. 1 priority here is to win football games and to put the best product on the field,” Reid said. “Just to minimize any of the competitive advantages that take place, I want to do this. I think it’s best for the fans, it’s best for our football team. . . . I just want to minimize anything, any competitive advantage that another team might possibly have.”

As a member of the media, I’ll always advocate for more access and more information being shared with the public. But I have to admit that I suspect Reid is right that there are competitive advantages to a team closely guarding the amount of information it allows to become public. According to the Eagles, only six NFL teams allow the media any practice access beyond that 10-minute minimum that the NFL mandates.

It wouldn’t be surprising if that number soon drops from six to zero.

UPDATE 6:25 p.m. ET: After we published this item, the league office forwarded us the rules for practice access, which state: “Following the completion of Week 2 of the NFL preseason schedule through the regular season and playoffs, daily practice (Monday through Friday) must be open to local media (those who regularly cover the team) for at least the first 30 minutes or until the start of “team” work. It is permissible to limit the videotaping or photographing of certain portions of practice.”

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
29 Responses to “Andy Reid cuts back on media access to Eagles practices”
  1. insanelomein2 says: Sep 13, 2012 2:17 PM

Does this mean Reid is secretly having Foles take first team snaps?

I surely hope so.

2. Kyle Orton's Hangover says: Sep 13, 2012 2:20 PM

Here’s an idea. If you don’t want the other team to have a competitive advantage don’t throw 4 picks.

3. eaglesw00t says: Sep 13, 2012 2:22 PM

The amount of information that has been made available by the Eagles was already at a trickle.

Now it will just be non-existent, with the exception of post game interviews, which are also mandatory.

That is very frustrating.

4. fmwarner says: Sep 13, 2012 2:24 PM

I’d prefer that the reason is that they’re installing designed runs for Vick instead of giving first team reps to Foles. No matter how bad they looked, they’re 1-0 and this is no time to throw the season away.

5. whatnojets says: Sep 13, 2012 2:26 PM

The media should have absolutly no access to any practices. They should be treated like every normal football fan…wait until you see the game on gameday.

6. gallaghedj311 says: Sep 13, 2012 2:27 PM

Keep at it Andy. Im literally shocked that the birds were one of those 6 teams….. Maybe Andy talks more in the post game press conference? Let’s hope so….going for our 10 consecutive win on Sunday!!

7. dogluverssuck says: Sep 13, 2012 2:31 PM

insanelomein2 says:Sep 13, 2012 2:17 PM

Does this mean Reid is secretly having Foles take first team snaps?

I surely hope so.

___________________________

Didn’t you say that about Kolb too? :)

8. insanelomein2 says: Sep 13, 2012 2:34 PM

@eagleswoot:

Dave Spadaro has to be the worst ever. Him and Don Tollefson just love every single Eagles player to ever wear the midnight green or kelly green.

9. sisqsage says: Sep 13, 2012 2:37 PM

Walrus needs to lose that mustache…pronto.

10. burgandyandgold says: Sep 13, 2012 2:37 PM

Is someone a little worried about his job?

11. insanelomein2 says: Sep 13, 2012 2:42 PM

dogluverssuck says:
    Sep 13, 2012 2:31 PM
    insanelomein2 says:Sep 13, 2012 2:17 PM

Does this mean Reid is secretly having Foles take first team snaps?

I surely hope so.

___________________________

Didn’t you say that about Kolb too?
    —————————————–
    I believe I did say that in the past.

Kolb never got his chance to shine in Philly. He was knocked out 1st half of the 1st game and Vick came in.

Reid, himself, claimed that he was a fan of Michael Vick during his ATL days. I have never waivered on my stance that I dont believe Vick should be the QB of the Eagles.

12. erod22 says: Sep 13, 2012 2:45 PM

Perhaps you should cut back on the number of passes you let your idiot quarterback throw.

13. laeaglefan says: Sep 13, 2012 2:45 PM

Of course Spadaro is a “homer”. Jeff Lurie signs his paycheck. So what would you expect?

14. We'reFineThere says: Sep 13, 2012 2:46 PM

Dave is not as bad as he used to be. I think over a decade of people hating him has hardened him a little.

I’ve heard him be critical of players recently. I learned that McNutt looked to slow to play during OTA’s, something he would have never said in the past.

15. andyreidsbuffet says: Sep 13, 2012 2:47 PM

Reid doesn’t want Baltimore to know that he plans on throwing the ball 90% of the time, and have Mccoy take 12 carries after Vick gets knocked out of the game. A true genius that Andy Reid guy.

16. rajbais says: Sep 13, 2012 2:49 PM

This is the beginning of the end for Andy, sadly. I never disliked Mike Vick as the Eagles’ QB after 2011, but he and his teammates needed a new coach after last year’s debacle.

Andy’s best days are way behind him and he’s made bad coaching moves and played a part in bad player acquisitions.

Yes, the Eagles won big games under Andy from 2000-04, 2006, and 2008, but after that his regular season win totals have declined yearly. Is that not an indictment on how maligned he’s becoming? It seemed like only 5 people outside of Philadelphia favored for his departure after 2011. Now the Reid supporters need to admit that they were 100% wrong.

The Pats fired Pete Carroll after he went 8-8 in 1999 and then hired Bill Belichick. How did that work out?

The same could’ve happened for Philly. Now look at the Birds. They’re winning no more than 5 games in 2012.

Reid’s resume only looks good because of the past. Now, his team is bad with outside pressure unlike the 2010 Steelers and Jets and Reid doesn’t have enough games where he shows how creative he can be. That can be seen in games and on coaching and I’m not even a scout!

Andy seems like a great guy, but it’s time for the Reid era to end. He might get a Job in less than a second, but the Super Bowl may not even come at all.

Meanwhile, Philly can look forward to drafting Tyler Wilson or EJ Manuel in next April’s draft!!!

17. gumbogumbo says: Sep 13, 2012 2:50 PM

This could be due to the fact that the Texans picked up on the Dolphins snap count by watching Hard Knocks. Obviously not the same type of coverage but minimizing access can decrease opportunities for opposing teams to obtain an advantage (such as snap count).

18. andyreidsbuffet says: Sep 13, 2012 2:50 PM

Reid also has to stop giving away so much information during the post game pressers, I think that’s why teams seem to know what plays the Eagles are going to run. Gotta do a better job there.

19. dogluverssuck says: Sep 13, 2012 2:53 PM

You guys are clowns. Sure put in a rookie who looked okay vs vanilla preseason teams who can’t scramble.

Just see how fast he gets put on injured reserves.

You guys blind hatred for Vick makes you look….well…..STUPID

How did week 1 work out for Luck? Ask RG3.

Deal with it, the mobile qb is the present and future.

20. insanelomein2 says: Sep 13, 2012 3:00 PM

dogluverssuck says:
    Sep 13, 2012 2:53 PM

Just see how fast he gets put on injured reserves.

You guys blind hatred for Vick makes you look….well…..STUPID

How did week 1 work out for Luck? Ask RG3.

Deal with it, the mobile qb is the present and future.
    ————————————————

RGIII is a rookie correct?

I dont hate Vick, I hate Vick as the QB of my Philadelphia Eagles.

Vick threw 4ints to the CLEVELAND BROWNS defense but let me guess to you that was a coaching mistake right?

Please see the 3rd int Vick threw, he pulled the classic Vick scramble to the left and made a JUMP PASS a la John Stockton to Celek, threw the ball 3yds to the right of the receiver and hit the MLB square in the numbers.

Tell me again how that’s blind hatred or an educated football fan.

21. We'reFineThere says: Sep 13, 2012 3:05 PM

^^I agree that the mobile QB is the future but there was one other huge difference between the too…. Luck’s arm looked soo weak… I’m not saying he will never be good but it’s going to be more of a learning process for him. He can’t throw downfield across his body like RG3 did.

22. geniusfan says: Sep 13, 2012 3:37 PM

“On one hand, I want to respect their wishes, on the other hand, I see a football team that I have invested 35 years into. And they dont want me to know anything about them except what they push through Spadaro.”

I don’t know about this. As a Patriots fan we never get any real information from Belichick, some fans whine and complain about it but I understand respect and in reality support it because I know it helps my team win.

Access is bad in the NFL. This isn’t basketball or baseball, there is real strategy going on in practices, real game-planning, not just shoot arounds and fielding drills. Injury information is equally important it can be vague so other teams have to prepare for a player that may or may not play, if they don’t they risk getting burned for being unprepared.

In the end he Eagles have to play better that’s the most important thing. If they can cut out the turnovers and limit penalties they will be a very good team, but it’s not nearly as easy as it sounds.

23. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Sep 13, 2012 4:40 PM

Now Reid is becoming paranoid. The wheels are coming off the team in Philly.

24. airashleigho says: Sep 13, 2012 4:53 PM

He’s smart.

25. dolphins4 says: Sep 13, 2012 6:33 PM

Billicheck is one of the best coaches of all time and he don’t tell anybody anything.

26. bobonmycob says: Sep 13, 2012 6:42 PM

here come the haters and losers with no life commenting on other teams. Keep it coming lonely fools!

27. phillyphannn83 says: Sep 13, 2012 6:54 PM

I for one, don’t need any access from the media to ell me ANTHING about MY team. I’m disappointed in eaglesw00t because he knows what he’s talking about and doesn’t just spew homer crap. Anyone who is a dedicated fan shouldn’t need the media to tell them they cant see and figure out for themselves. Maybe its because I played fr 9 years, maybe not, but I understand the game so well that I do a better job analyzing my team than the media does anyway. National media is too busy covering everybody that they don’t understand any 1 team well enough to know them like the good fans do.

What we(the intelligent football fans) need the media for is to tell us about the other 31 teams in the NFL because we don’t know them inside and out like we do our own team. I’ll be the first one to admit, I know a lot about the giants, cowboys, and redskins, but certainly not as much as their fans do. I also don’t think the media should be at in-season practices at all anyway. There’s no reason for it. Practices are for the team only and there should be absolutely no distractions. The game isnt played to sell newspapers or generate blog hits. That’s not what created the NFL and the midweek overreactions by the media are wrong 9 times out of 10 anyway. Good move by Andy(finally!).

28. voiceofreasonsays says: Sep 13, 2012 6:54 PM

I’ll tell you who needs to cut back on media coverage – my boy RGIII. Even us ‘Skins fans are sick of hearing about him.

29. fmwarner says: Sep 13, 2012 6:59 PM

rajbais says: Sep 13, 2012 2:49 PM

Now the Reid supporters need to admit that they were 100% wrong.
    —————————————