Marcell Dareus back at practice, four days after brother’s murder

Marcell Dareus AP

Bills defensive tackle Marcell Dareus has returned to practice, four days after his 19-year-old brother was murdered in Alabama.

Dareus was on the field at the start of practice today. Dareus traveled to Alabama to be with his family when he learned of his brother’s murder shortly after the Bills’ loss to the Jets on Sunday, but Wednesday’s practice was the only one he missed.

Bills coach Chan Gailey said on Wednesday that the team wanted Dareus to take whatever time he thought he needed, but that Dareus had already said he wanted to play in Sunday’s home opener against the Chiefs and would be back.

A 20-year-old man named Jon Staggs Jr. has been charged with capital murder in the killing of Dareus’s brother and two other young men.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Marcell Dareus back at practice, four days after brother’s murder”
  1. ingraven says: Sep 13, 2012 2:57 PM

Good for him. Hope both him and his family can be strong at a time like this. May Jehovah bless you.

2. blacknole08 says: Sep 13, 2012 3:01 PM

I respect his decision for playing Sunday as it might serve a good coping mechanism for Dareus. Dunno if I would have the mental capacity to do this. Good luck to him and bless his family.

3. dariusmyles says: Sep 13, 2012 3:02 PM

Thoughts and prayers go out to you man. I feel bad for the chiefs offensive line and Matt Cassel. Give em hell!!! Whomp dar-e-us!

4. EJ says: Sep 13, 2012 3:08 PM

I’m not sure I’d be ready to go back so soon, I think I’d still be pretty messed up, but I am pretty close to my Brother, so thats probably why.
    I hope Marcell has a monster day against the Chiefs!!!

5. shaggytoodle says: Sep 13, 2012 3:43 PM

As crappy as the situation is, when time gets tough for me, work can serve as a sanctuary, and place to get your mind off al the sillyness, home can be giving.

6. ruffbufffire says: Sep 13, 2012 4:07 PM

Charles Jefferson… Ridgemont High time!!!!

7. billsboy88 says: Sep 13, 2012 4:33 PM

Lock the murderer up and throw away the key.

I’m not that close to my brother, but I can only imagine the rage I would feel after the extreme sadness. Look out chiefs…