Michael Oher starts at left tackle, Bryant McKinnie a backup

Pittsburgh Steelers v Baltimore Ravens Getty Images

After the Ravens’ offense played well on Monday night with Michael Oher as the starting left tackle and Bryant McKinnie as a backup, that’s the way Baltimore’s offensive line will remain.

Oher will remain as the start left tackle and McKinnie will remain a backup going forward, sources told NFL.com.

McKinnie agreed to take a pay cut just before the season, when the Ravens said they’d cut him if he didn’t. The fact that he’s not in the team’s plans as a starter strongly suggests that they were serious about getting rid of McKinnie if he wouldn’t agree to play for less pay. Although McKinnie has been a Pro Bowl left tackle and Oher has less experience, the Ravens apparently see Oher as a more reliable player, as well as a better-conditioned player, which makes him a better fit for the no-huddle offense the Ravens plan to keep running regularly.

On Monday night Oher started the Ravens’ 44-13 win over the Bengals and got 53 offensive snaps. McKinnie came in for Oher late in the game and got 10 snaps on offense. McKinnie and Oher are both on the Ravens’ field goal/extra point unit, so they both got eight special teams snaps on Monday as well.

Kelechi Osemele is the starter at right tackle. McKinnie would move into the starting lineup at left tackle if either Oher or Osemele got hurt; if Osemele goes down Oher will move back to right tackle.

Oher, who’s the NFL’s most famous offensive lineman thanks to his life being turned into the bestselling book and hit movie The Blind Side, is expected to continue protecting Joe Flacco’s blind side all season.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
29 Responses to “Michael Oher starts at left tackle, Bryant McKinnie a backup”
  1. theherbsman says: Sep 13, 2012 2:05 PM

looks like mckinnie’s the one getting blindsided

2. ingraven says: Sep 13, 2012 2:05 PM

Is anyone surprised?

3. gallaghedj311 says: Sep 13, 2012 2:13 PM

Can’t wait to see Oher against Trent Cole

4. sj39 says: Sep 13, 2012 2:18 PM

Rams will trade you a 4th rounder for him.

5. cantgetenoughwp says: Sep 13, 2012 2:22 PM

Sandra Bullock probably had a little chat with Coach Harbaugh. End of story.

6. threatlevelbob says: Sep 13, 2012 2:27 PM

Oher had a rough transition from RT to LT after his rookie season, but if you really break down the tape, he was just below average not terrible.

His biggest problem was the amount of pointless false start penalties he accrued through the first half of the season. “False start, number 74 offense.” seemed more like a ritual than a surprise after a few games.

He’s looked solid when playing on the left side during camp and in the first preseason game (the only one he started at LT I believe), so while I think the Eagles might present a serious problem, I expect him to be decent against the majority of DE’s and OLBs.

The far bigger surprise was seeing Ramon Harewood at LG. He came out of no where after riding the IR seemingly forever. I’m worried he will be the one abused repeatedly if he should remain a starter.

McKinnie is a decent LT, but was only considered a 1-2 season patch at best, and really, based on work ethic and tendency to stretch the truth (“I hurt my back, which is why I didn’t report to camp on time, or even call anyone.”) he’s a very, very tough player to root for.

7. Max says: Sep 13, 2012 2:39 PM

Kelechi Osemele such a good pick in the draft, the guy is a monster! Ravens continue to be one of the best evaluators of talent in the NFL.

8. jefftownsend52 says: Sep 13, 2012 2:44 PM

Don’t forgot the Ravens also started Ramon Harewood at left guard instead of veteran Bobbie Williams. These two moves shaved off a total of 21 years of age between the two.

We’ll see how the younger offensive line looks throughout the year…

9. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Sep 13, 2012 2:48 PM

I’ve always like Oher because of his story, but keeping McKinnie on the bench gives me even more reason to root for him.

10. EJ says: Sep 13, 2012 3:02 PM

The Ravens are lucky to have Oher, he is one of the most dominant Offensive Lineman in the NFL. I’m just surprised that they didn’t just throw him right in at the LT position when he was drafted. I’m sure McKinnie could of slid over to the Right Tackle spot and stood pretty dominant. Now they have a Pro Bowler sitting on the bench when he could be helping protect Joe Flacco. Send McKinnie over to Buffalo, we’ll give you 4th and 6th round picks for the 2013 draft. I guarantee that he still has a lot to give.

11. domeunit says: Sep 13, 2012 3:03 PM

gallaghedj311 says:
    Sep 13, 2012 2:13 PM
    Can’t wait to see Oher against Trent Cole

_______________________

and I can’t wait to see Trent Cole try and stop the run, Ray Rice is going to have a big day on Sunday

12. randallflagg52 says: Sep 13, 2012 3:10 PM

Oher’s only issue from keeping him from being a pro bowl level tackle is the amount of false starts he get’s. I’m sure now that the game has slowed down for him he’ll cut them out. Don’t forget that Oher is a much better run blocker than McKinnie, so now the Ravens can run to both the right and left effectively.

This coaching staff has always been high on Ramon Harewood, but he’s spent his first two seasons on IR (possibly to stash him from other teams). Hope he proves their faith in him was worth it.

13. ubb44 says: Sep 13, 2012 3:18 PM

I laugh at the ‘McKinnie was a probowler’ comment. He was like 4th alternate the one year and to top it all off he was to lazy to go to the practices he got kicked off the team! KICKED OFF THE PROBOWL TEAM!

14. evan2442 says: Sep 13, 2012 3:29 PM

The Ravens were moving linemen in and out the entire game. They used certain linemen in specific packages and certainly had a jumbo package on goalline. I like the strategy, it seemed that all linemen were fresh, and besides two or three plays Flacco never seemed rushed. The Ravens are lucky to have such depth, especially when Jah Reid comes back as well…

15. icecubeusedtobeangry says: Sep 13, 2012 3:42 PM

Why Birk didn’t jump up and down yelling “Don’t do it, this guy is a tool” before the Baltimore picked him up I will never know!

16. steelersownyou says: Sep 13, 2012 3:51 PM

I expect a typical flacco game on the road like last year. Seahawks, jaguars. Where the offense will be feeble. Then al the ratbird fans will come back to reality & see flacco for what he is. A mediocre QB who has problems being consistent. Enjoy 9-7 ratbirds. Reality check time is coming!

17. conormacleod says: Sep 13, 2012 3:56 PM

Give McKinnie a break. It’s only September, and he’s probably just trying to play himself into shape still!

18. randallflagg52 says: Sep 13, 2012 4:06 PM

steelersownyou says:Sep 13, 2012 3:51 PM

==================================

What was Roethlisberger’s TD to INT ratio last year? How many game last year were the steelers held to under 17 points? How often is Rothlisberger sacked compared to other QBs? How many red zone INTs has Roethlisberger thrown in the past 3 years? What did Roethlisberger’s stat line look like against Jax and Seattle? What was Roethlisberger’s head to head stats compared to Flacco?

Find the answers to these and come back and tell me who is inconsistant, and who is the better QB. The answer is obviously Flacco.

19. flaccodelic says: Sep 13, 2012 4:14 PM

steelersownyou says:
    Sep 13, 2012 3:51 PM

Hey, remember that Flacco road game in Pittsburgh last year? No? Still co-opting stuff Terry Bradshaw did in the 70’s?

PS- Reality is 2 straight losses to the Ravens. Also 2 straight losses to Denver, including one led by Tim Tebow.

Now sit down and shut up, n’kay?

20. ravenseattheirownpoop says: Sep 13, 2012 4:32 PM

I get a kick out of the Ratbird fans. They beat Cincy and now they are the best team in the NFL. Remember people it is only one game and you did only beat Cincy. Simmer down radbirds

21. joldewurtel says: Sep 13, 2012 4:45 PM

After the way the Ravens offense looked, I guess it’s hard to second-guess their decision making on personnel. I think they have the right 5 O-Lineman on the field, but I think I would switch Osemele (to LG) and Harewood (to RT).

I don’t want to count McKinnie out just yet though. Even though I know he has a hard enough time staying in shape for a regular tempo offense…

22. mrgroovesd says: Sep 13, 2012 4:54 PM

The Bolts will take him if he plans to be in shape and ready to play. Can’t say that much about Gaithers.

23. randallflagg52 says: Sep 13, 2012 5:00 PM

ravenseattheirownpoop says:Sep 13, 2012 4:32 PM

==================================

The Ravens didn’t beat Cincy. They had non-consensual intercourse with them, if you catch my drift.

Also, aren’t you a Cincy fan???

24. tennesseeoilers says: Sep 13, 2012 5:04 PM

Michael Oher, Ray Rice, Derrick Mason, Steve McNair, and Samari Rolle. These are the players who slowly converted me from being an absolute Ravens hater (as most Titans fans were in the early to mid-2000s) to being someone who likes to keep an eye on them. Yes, I even enjoy watching Ray Lewis play, the man who more than any other kept the Titans from making two Super Bowl trips in a row.

25. ravenseattheirownpoop says: Sep 13, 2012 5:12 PM

Yes I am just a Cincy fan but I call em like I see em

26. ravenseattheirownpoop says: Sep 13, 2012 5:16 PM

That’s one way of putting it. Or u could say they shanked them in the superbowl parking lot.

27. getyourownname says: Sep 13, 2012 6:17 PM

ravenseattheirownpoop says:
    Sep 13, 2012 5:12 PM
    Yes I am just a Cincy fan but I call em like I see em
    *******************
    Sincerity is admirable, but your optemitrist just called, you missed your annual checkup.

28. Show Me Your TDs says: Sep 13, 2012 6:24 PM

Steelersownyou you are an embarrassment to steeler fans. You are no better than ravenator. Ignorant biased loud mouthed moronic comments. I’m ashamed that I am a fan of the same team as you. Please start liking the cowboys packers or patriots….I’m sure their fan bases will accept you with open arms

29. diamondmo33 says: Sep 14, 2012 10:54 AM

Show me your TDs: the best user name
    I have ever seen!!