Bears think Matt Forte has a high ankle sprain

Chicago Bears v Green Bay Packers Getty Images

The injury that knocked Bears running back Matt Forte out of Thursday night’s loss to the Packers is likely to knock him out of more games as well.

Although a more thorough diagnosis is likely to come today, the Bears believe Forte suffered a high ankle sprain, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports.

A high ankle sprain is usually an injury that costs a running back multiple games, so Forte could be out for a while. Bears backup running back Michael Bush said after the loss to the Packers that he’s ready to carry the load as long as Forte is out.

“That’s why I’m here: They brought me here to pick up where [Forte] left off, if something went wrong,” Bush told the Chicago Tribune. “It’s the insurance plan, I guess. I’ll be ready.”

The Bears will need Bush to be ready. Their offense looked terrible on Thursday night even before Forte went down.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
29 Responses to “Bears think Matt Forte has a high ankle sprain”
  1. jojopuppyfish says: Sep 14, 2012 9:06 AM

But Bush looked good.

2. regisphilbin says: Sep 14, 2012 9:09 AM

This is why you dont pay RB’s a ton.

-jags fan

3. schmitty2 says: Sep 14, 2012 9:12 AM

Besides signing Marshall..signing Bush was the smartest move the Bear’s made

4. biggestredmiami says: Sep 14, 2012 9:16 AM

ahh the dreaded high ankle sprain, get well soon and thank your agent for getting you the money in August

5. mgfred says: Sep 14, 2012 9:18 AM

Fuuny how this happens after you “Pay the man!”

No reflection on Forte, just the Football Gods..

6. sj39 says: Sep 14, 2012 9:18 AM

Damn replacement officials, must be their fault.

7. flipside715 says: Sep 14, 2012 9:21 AM

Jay Cutler’s security blanket will be missed for the next month. Bush will contribute to the run game, but in the pass game; when protection breaks down (which happens a lot), I don’t have confidence in dinosaur hands Michael Bush to make something happen with a check-down the way Forte does.

Forte is a totally different animal. Still, the most underrated running back in the league.

8. crazycane says: Sep 14, 2012 9:21 AM

9. djcologne says: Sep 14, 2012 9:25 AM

Raider fan here and it absolutely killed me when Bush signed elsewhere. Bush can be a beast and has the ability to run through teams and wish him the very best with the Bears!

10. vickismydogg says: Sep 14, 2012 9:30 AM

This is bad news for my fantasy team.

11. tmac4454 says: Sep 14, 2012 9:35 AM

Sorry for Forte, I was looking for him to have a break out game. I guess Capers had a game plan for him. M Bush did very well rushing. Good Luck Chicago with Cutler..With all the rookies coming out, one would think about replacing that sorry a** Cutler forcing throws, blaming others for his mishaps. OMG, Chicago looked pitiful last night.

12. bweavs says: Sep 14, 2012 9:40 AM

Even the greatest QB’s to ever play would have sucked with that offensive line in front of them. I know that GB has some rushers, but those guys are a joke!!!!

13. dlw492 says: Sep 14, 2012 9:49 AM

Starting to think this guy’s injury prone. Seems like he only plays 11.5 games a season!

14. andredawsonscreek says: Sep 14, 2012 9:59 AM

Forte did not miss a game in his career until last season. He has been rock solid. Injury prone doesnt seem fair at this point

15. threedeep1998 says: Sep 14, 2012 10:17 AM

Bet he comes back sooner than y’all think. Didn’t AP have a high ankle sprain in 2010 vs WAS only to come back the following week to have 3 TDs and over 100 yards vs Buffalo?

16. otis52gsh says: Sep 14, 2012 10:45 AM

That is really bad news

17. bubba9er says: Sep 14, 2012 10:47 AM

I have had high ankle sprains, and they are horrible! It feels like no matter how tightly you are taped up that your foot is just going to turn around the wrong way every time you push off with any force. The pain wasn’t excruciating, but the feeling of uncertainty takes weeks to go away.

18. bubba9er says: Sep 14, 2012 10:52 AM

It is really easy to break your leg on plays like his last night too. Plus, you can tear up your knees. Bad juju.

19. hatasgonnahate says: Sep 14, 2012 10:53 AM

You fantasy football losers are retarded. Forte has been injured for 4 games of his career and now he’s injury prone?

20. larrydavid7000 says: Sep 14, 2012 11:15 AM

thanks a lot forte thats why I drafted Alfred Morris in my fantasy draft.

21. dprouse says: Sep 14, 2012 11:28 AM

Unlike a conventional ankle sprain, there’s no way to tape up a high ankle sprain. You simply have to wait for it to heal. He’ll be out for a good month…

22. dannythebisforbeast says: Sep 14, 2012 11:33 AM

Morris will be hurt next week it’s the NFL players get dinged every week. You can’t control it

23. goods65 says: Sep 14, 2012 12:08 PM

i swear to god,this happened to me last year with charles.albeit he tore his ACL,i just hope forte is not out too long.I have no luck drafting rb in fantasy,thank goodness i handcuffed bush with forte.

24. vinegarstrks says: Sep 14, 2012 1:44 PM

“Forte injured? Next thing that you’re going to tell me is water’s wet and the skies blue. ”

Up until his knee injury last year, Forte didn’t miss a game as a pro. One injury in 4 years is injury prone?

25. rudegger says: Sep 14, 2012 2:35 PM

this might be a good thing for the bears. forte is nothing more than a glorified reggie bush. it is hard to set up playaction when the RB doesn’t run between the tackles. bush is perfectly suited for that role. and with the troubles they have on the o-line, playaction should be, at least in my opinion, sprinkled in there quite a bit.
    what is lost in all the talk of the bears is how terrible the packers looked last night, they needed trickery to win. was there pass rush that good, or were the bears that bad?…..the bears were that bad.
    someone should tell jay cutler that games aren’t won on hubris alone.
    mike tice should’ve stayed on the love cruise….his game plan simply stunk.
    the packers didn’t win, the bears lost.

26. papertiger418 says: Sep 14, 2012 2:44 PM

Exactly why I drafted Bush in my fantasy football league this year. Forte may not have been injury prone before, but running backs wear down and Bush has hardly any mileage. I never root for a player to get hurt but football is a war of attrition.

27. bringbacktheflex says: Sep 14, 2012 2:44 PM

Heh heh. Typical RB. Gets his big contract, then runs tentatively and gets a boo-boo. Join Chris Johnson standing over there.

28. gmsingh says: Sep 14, 2012 3:14 PM

Matt Forte got targetted with a dirty hit from Charles Woodson in my opinion.

29. tfoltz says: Sep 14, 2012 4:03 PM

High-five to all Bush fantasy football owners.