Javon Ringer said infection could have cost him an arm

Javon Ringer AP

Because he’s a backup and probably doesn’t impact your fantasy team, Titans running back Javon Ringer’s listing on the injury report probably didn’t catch your eye.

But Ringer told John Glennon of the Tennesseean he could have lost his arm because of an infection that has him out this week.

Could. Have. Lost. His. Arm.

“At first, even though it was swollen,  . . . I knew it was serious, but I didn’t know the extent of it until after the first surgery,” Ringer said. “[Doctors] said they wanted to hurry up and get to it because if it got in my bloodstream, I probably could have lost my arm.

“I’m looking as it as a blessing, . . . It could have kept getting worse and worse, and it could have got in my bloodstream and I could have lost an arm.”

Ringer went through two surgeries and spent four nights in the hospital with cellulitis in his elbow. He’s still wearing a device (linked photo not for squeamish) that sucks fluid from the infected area and helps heal scar tissue (which sounds one step from that tank they put Luke Skywalker in in The Empire Strikes Back).

“It’s just to clean stuff out, get a lot of the mess out,” he said, understating it magnificently.

Ringer practiced a week ago, but his arm began to swell last Saturday, sending him to the hospital.

He hopes to return to practice next week, and the fact that’s a possibility makes him fortunate.

I’m going to wash my hands now.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans
6 Responses to “Javon Ringer said infection could have cost him an arm”
  1. mintberrycrunch1 says: Sep 14, 2012 3:27 PM

Glad to see you’re getting better, Javon. Go Green!

2. tennesseetitan78 says: Sep 14, 2012 3:53 PM

Roos, and Stewart are very talented O-lineman, but everyone else are garbage. Chris Johnson dances around too much looking for the homerun everytime instead of just hitting the hole. Titans OC Chris Palmer has garbage run plays, every since he’s been in the league calling plays all of his RB’s have suffered. That’s real funny how this all started when Chris Palmer took over at OC.

3. wayne1693 says: Sep 14, 2012 4:26 PM

Scary Football-Medical stories like this, at a time when medical advances are happening so rapidly it can make you dizzy…really makes you wonder how NFL players survived 50+ years ago.

4. bobloblawlawblogger says: Sep 14, 2012 4:46 PM

It’s called a wound vac, no big deal they have been around for years, it helps to keep the wound clean by providing a tight suction allowing the tissues to heal. It’s not even graphic, probably due to a MRSA or Beta Strep infection.

5. baily67 says: Sep 14, 2012 4:52 PM

what does Ringer’s arm have to do with Palmer, CJ, etc.?? they’re talking about Ringer’s arm!

6. abreathofsanity says: Sep 14, 2012 6:34 PM

don’t like the titans, but id hate to see a guys career get ruined like that.