Plaxico feels frustrated, but confident he can still play

New York Jets v Miami Dolphins Getty Images

Plaxico Burress can’t believe he’s not with an NFL team right now. But he doesn’t believe his NFL career is over.

Burress, who played last year for the Jets but has been unable to attract much interest in free agency over the last six months, said in an interview with ESPN’s Trey Wingo that he never believed the season would have started and he’d still be waiting for some team to give him a call.

“I didn’t think that I would be going into the second week of the season, not playing football and doing what I love to do,” Burress said. “It’s a little frustrating.”

Burress remains confident, however, that he will play for some NFL team this season.

“I believe it will happen,” Burress said. “I’m staying in shape. . . . For the next month or so I’m going to continue to work hard, see what happens, remain optimistic and when the opportunity comes I’ll be ready.”

At this point, Burress probably has to wait around and see if some team that suffers a rash of injuries at wide receiver wants to give him a shot. If he does get that shot, he insists that he’s going to make that team better.

“The sooner the better,” Burress said. “I’m ready to go. I’m ready to play. I’m going to go into a situation where I’m going to assist the offense, draw double coverage in the red zone, go up and make plays — plays other guys can’t — and I’m going to be accountable, go out there and play football and play hard.”

Until the day comes when he can play hard, Burress will be waiting by the phone.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
33 Responses to “Plaxico feels frustrated, but confident he can still play”
  1. jimnaizeeum says: Sep 14, 2012 8:20 PM

May be a long wait Plax, but hey, you can always hang out with T.O. & Chad.

2. jetfan28 says: Sep 14, 2012 8:21 PM

I’ve heard a lot of talk about the deterioration of taken on the Jets O before the year. The Jets started last year with Plax and Derrick Mason as 2 of their top three wr’s.
    This year: Kerley and Hill. 4 Tds in game one. Plax and Mason are out of football. Shows you what the “pundits” know.

3. brenenostler says: Sep 14, 2012 8:23 PM

I can see Chad Johnson and T.O. not having a team. But I’m actually surprised Burress doesn’t. He’s a pretty good receiver and still relatively young, and I think he’ll play for any salary at this point.

4. buckeye94 says: Sep 14, 2012 8:23 PM

A team should hire him. He wasn’t a distraction for the jets really and he can still play and seems to have moves. I think he can be a solid vet wideout.

5. derekjetersmansion says: Sep 14, 2012 8:26 PM

Plax is a luxury. Only red zone? You need to do more than just that.

6. vbe2 says: Sep 14, 2012 8:27 PM

HasBeenTalk.com?

7. blackngold4life says: Sep 14, 2012 8:29 PM

Plax had a decent year..lots of teams with far worse WRs then him. Must be a $ issue

8. mojosmagic says: Sep 14, 2012 8:34 PM

Bad attitude,bad in the locker room, and will not accept a reduced role. Does that spell it out for you Plax.

9. rickyclark5 says: Sep 14, 2012 8:34 PM

As a panthers fan, I would take him.

10. totallyuselessme says: Sep 14, 2012 8:36 PM

Plax still has some football in him. I’d sure take a shot if I was contending. Not like he’s got any leverage to drive up his own price tag.

11. jerseyshoregiant says: Sep 14, 2012 8:36 PM

brenenostler says:Sep 14, 2012 8:23 PM

——————————

Plax is not relatively young for the NFL. Actually he is old. Also I believe Chad is younger.

12. emoney12 says: Sep 14, 2012 8:37 PM

If I say that I’m in shape and can still play, does that mean I can be in the NFL too? 32 teams think otherwise. The dream is over.

13. bobby927 says: Sep 14, 2012 8:40 PM

Was this day dreaming or wet dreaming?

14. nycoccet says: Sep 14, 2012 8:42 PM

it seems to me there are just alot of talent around anymore bc 5-10 years ago if i guy had as many tds as he did he would nt be unemployed.

15. giantrutgersfan says: Sep 14, 2012 8:45 PM

Somebody should take a chance on Plaxico. I say that as a Giants fan who watched most of the Jets games last year.

Plax can still play. We also got to realize that of course he would have been rusty last season, he was in jail and hadnt played football in years!

I dont think Plaxico is a bad guy. Giants are kind of stacked at WR, but there are many teams out there who could use this guy. The most prominent of them being the Jets

16. trojanwarrior007 says: Sep 14, 2012 8:45 PM

he needs to lower his price.

17. rickastleydancemoves says: Sep 14, 2012 8:50 PM

*pulls out saxophone*

*then plays Benny Hill theme*

18. 69finfan says: Sep 14, 2012 8:50 PM

Nice touch MDS with the “give him a shot” reference.

19. e5280 says: Sep 14, 2012 8:51 PM

Someone in the CFL should take a shot with him….

20. snoilog says: Sep 14, 2012 8:51 PM

dude, give it up. Wasn’t it Dan Enos who threw to you in College?

You’re old, Go home (don’t shoot yourself) and enjoy your $$$

GO STATE
    GO LIONS

21. greymares says: Sep 15, 2012 8:35 AM

32 teams more than 1/2 could use help at wide receiver, say you can’t play.

22. onbucky96 says: Sep 15, 2012 8:42 AM

Come on, let Plax take another shot at his career…sorry waaaay too easy.

23. bunjy96 says: Sep 15, 2012 8:45 AM

erseyshoregiant says: Sep 14, 2012 8:36 PM

brenenostler says:Sep 14, 2012 8:23 PM

——————————

**********
    Plaxico Born 8/12/77
    Chad Born 1/9/78
    T. O. Born 12/7/73

24. promickey says: Sep 15, 2012 8:53 AM

Where is Drew Rosenhaus his agent? The only way Plaxico does not get a shot is if Drew over priced him.

25. steelers6rngs says: Sep 15, 2012 8:54 AM

Whose Plaxico?

26. steelers6rngs says: Sep 15, 2012 9:00 AM

Enjoy playing Mr. Mom Plax at least your wife is educated enough to keep you in that big house that you have not paid on in years.

27. effjohntaylornorelation says: Sep 15, 2012 9:13 AM

He should feel “unemployed”

28. cmdrsmooth says: Sep 15, 2012 9:53 AM

Nobody wants Plaxico because he is just Plaxico. He was a big reason for the Jets issues last year, he neverr backed up Sanchez last year and now tries to come off like he is a team player. Everybody knows he is toxic.

29. frankgiasone says: Sep 15, 2012 12:10 PM

Aside from the locker room issues, this guy just isn’t a factor between the 20’s. Not fast/disciplined enough to consistently get separation at the LOS and only effective in the RZ.

With that being said, if you have a team that can handle the possibility of a negative attitude in the locker room and are lacking a real RZ presence, he’s a solid option.

Won’t be the Jets, tho. Guarantee that one.

30. nashwaakkidd says: Sep 15, 2012 12:23 PM

one trick pony that’s a locker room cancer …..hmmmmm i wonder why there’s no interest? guys like him,to, and chad are now reaping what they have sown . decling talent not worth the headaches.

31. mjkelly77 says: Sep 15, 2012 1:21 PM

bunjy96 says:Sep 15, 2012 8:45 AM

erseyshoregiant says: Sep 14, 2012 8:36 PM

brenenostler says:Sep 14, 2012 8:23 PM

——————————

**********
    Plaxico Born 8/12/77
    Chad Born 1/9/78
    T. O. Born 12/7/73
    ____________________

It ain’t the years, it’s the miles. And the attitude.

32. cmdrsmooth says: Sep 15, 2012 5:33 PM

I remember Plaxico saying: ” Sanchez is Sanchez” when he had a chance to step up for him after the season. Not much of a team player.

I guess Karma is Karma.

33. bobzilla1001 says: Sep 15, 2012 6:14 PM

When Plexico played in Pittsburgh, his sleepy, lazy-like demeanor drove me nuts. Maybe it’s his slow-speaking, too-cool personality that’s holding him back.
    Hey, Plex…
    Show some energy and enthusiasm!!!!