Revis still “in a fog” after so-called “mild concussion”

Jets Revis Football AP

Shortly after Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis suffered one last week, people close to him said he’d be fine. And when you attach a modifier like “mild” to a medical condition, people assume it’s not that big a deal.

But Revis said Thursday he was still “in a fog,” and hadn’t passed the tests he needed to play Sunday in Pittsburgh.

He said yesterday he felt “pretty good,” and wanted to play, but acknowledged it wasn’t his decision.

“It’s not my call. It’s the doctors’ call,” Revis said, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “Whatever they say goes. I would try to be out there with a broken leg. They know that. It’s a competitive spirit in me that just wants to go out there and play. If I feel fine, which I do, then we’ll go from there.”

Revis can’t return until he’s cleared by a team doctor and an independent neurologist. Jets coach Rex Ryan seems to have gotten the memo, saying he’ll lean on the word of doctors.

“If he’s not 100%, then Darrelle won’t play,” Ryan said Thursday. “It’s as simple as that.”

The Jets won’t even take him along unless he’s cleared in advance of their Saturday flight, which is the right thing to do.

Because even a “mild concussion” is still a concussion.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Revis still “in a fog” after so-called “mild concussion””
  1. fitzmagic1212 says: Sep 14, 2012 8:37 AM

yeah hes not playing..i respect the hell out of the guy but if he plays the league is lying when they say they care about player safety

2. unprovenprophet says: Sep 14, 2012 8:44 AM

“If there’s a more misleading and potentially dangerous term than “mild concussion” I’m not sure what it is.”
    ———————

Yes there is, it’s when she says she’s “a little pregnant”.

3. ralphwilsonphillips says: Sep 14, 2012 8:53 AM

This is what happens when you play the mighty & vaunted Buffalo Bills defense. 12/30 rematch with the Jets? CANT WAIT. prediction…. pain

4. jnbnet says: Sep 14, 2012 9:07 AM

As a Patriot fan, I have no love for the Jets, but I do hope Revis gets well soon. Ryan is doing the right thing in holding him out until he is 100 percent.

5. schmitty2 says: Sep 14, 2012 9:11 AM

Some might argue he was already in a fog

6. lrjets says: Sep 14, 2012 9:12 AM

As much as we’ll need Revis, his health is first and foremost. We don’t need a corner who dribbles oatmeal down his chin.
    Play it safe, rather than just play!

7. donterrelli says: Sep 14, 2012 9:13 AM

Sounds like he’s scared of the Steelers offense to me.

8. jonsilver1947 says: Sep 14, 2012 9:25 AM

Dear Ralphwilsonphillips:

Revis’ concussion was caused by him getting accidentally kicked in the head at the end of a play by his teammate Bart Scott. It was clear on the replay at the time, and has been consistently reported since then.

9. bweavs says: Sep 14, 2012 9:34 AM

Sounds like Bart Scott maybe should play soccer. He has a hell of a boot!

10. sudz28 says: Sep 14, 2012 9:41 AM

Here’s to hoping he fully recovers and is back on the field as soon as possible. These guys should never be rushed back after a concussion, mild or otherwise!

11. dmretrogames says: Sep 14, 2012 9:45 AM

Harrison and Polamalu look to be out, too. Should be a lot of footballs in the air Sunday.

12. djmcba says: Sep 14, 2012 10:10 AM

Can’t stand revis, think he gets away with more contact down the field than any other db (not that it adversely affects my horrendous dolphins passing offense).

I wonder if there is a psychological component to the new awareness about concussions; guys used to get one and keep playing, now players miss weeks, half of seasons and in Sydney Crosby’s case (nhl) the entire year. Makes you have to wonder if by trying to think about water your brain is alright day after day, there might be a psychological component.

I know if I spent my day trying to think aboutif my brain was acting normal I would become continually more uncertain.

Hope he gets well soon though.

13. jpb12 says: Sep 14, 2012 10:18 AM

He should be like Deion. Play the ball. Avoid contact.

14. epicfailflacco says: Sep 14, 2012 10:20 AM

I was really looking forward to the jets awesome secondary, and the steelers receiving corps…steeler nation wishes you a speedy recovery Mr. Revis!!!

15. nickster31 says: Sep 14, 2012 10:24 AM

dmretrogames says:
    Sep 14, 2012 9:45 AM

**************************************

Polamalu sat out practice, but that is normal for him, he will play Sunday.

16. rcali says: Sep 14, 2012 11:03 AM

This is football. Nobody feels 100% after Game 1.

17. bjerols says: Sep 14, 2012 11:11 AM

The article doesn’t state Revis is still in a fog, it states Revis was in a fog on Sunday after getting hit in the head:

“Revis, who has not yet been cleared for contact by doctors, admitted on Thursday that he was “in a fog” after getting kicked in the head during the season opener. Although the All-Pro cornerback said that he felt “pretty good” and capable of playing in Pittsburgh, the decision will ultimately be out of his hands.”

18. ampats says: Sep 14, 2012 11:33 AM

It’s alittle early for any Jets to be “in a fog”. Anually the month of December is when the Jets team plays like it is in a fog ,followed by the yearly anniversary celebration at the end of the season.

19. whistlndixie1 says: Sep 14, 2012 11:41 AM

Suffering from a “mild concussion” myself after a drunken fall in Vegas last last… “foggy” is about the best way to describe it; bigger appriciation for these guys and head injuries in the last 7 days after living with it.

20. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Sep 14, 2012 12:43 PM

Just stop paying him and the fog will lift.