Florio Jr. is 16 today

DSC_0257

Those of you who have been visiting this site since we launched in 2001 may remember me talking about my five-year-old son.

And in early 2006, after Vince Young chalked up a six in the Wonderlic, a nine-year-old Florio Jr. took a portion of a sample test and generated a score that extrapolated to a 15.

And now Florio Jr. goes from 15 to 16.

The birthday comes a day after he missed his high school’s football game with a “mild” concussion.  His team is now 3-0 after a 30-0 win, and there’s a good chance they’ll be ranked No. 1 in the West Virginia Class A in the coming days.

And the best part about football season is that there’s no time for him to get his driver’s license.

Permalink 56 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
56 Responses to “Florio Jr. is 16 today”
  1. packersareandwillalwaysbebetterthanthebears says: Sep 15, 2012 9:56 AM

He’s older than most of the Redskins fans that post on this site.

2. gorilladunk says: Sep 15, 2012 9:56 AM

I turn 54 in three weeks. Perhaps you’ll make a note of it on the site.

3. 49erstim says: Sep 15, 2012 9:58 AM

Congrats young Florio on the b-day.

“Mild”…… I’m with you there. That is an absurd categorization of brain trauma. Completely ridiculous. Get well soon Jr.

4. simonwelds says: Sep 15, 2012 10:02 AM

Hurry up and grow up JR, Im a phins fan we need all the help we can get!!!! HBD

5. peytonwantsaflag says: Sep 15, 2012 10:03 AM

I hope va’s rankings are better than yours

6. cojetsfan says: Sep 15, 2012 10:03 AM

Happy Birthday Jr!!!

7. usmutts says: Sep 15, 2012 10:03 AM

And luckily for young Florio his looks are inherited from his mom!

8. xx4zu1 says: Sep 15, 2012 10:05 AM

Happy birthday Florio Jr. today would be a good day to thank your mom that you don’t look like your dad :)

9. jacobslatter says: Sep 15, 2012 10:07 AM

Have a BMW 760Li sedan ready for jr. sitting in the garage so he can learn on & then use for his everyday activities.

10. ddogdaddy says: Sep 15, 2012 10:12 AM

Happy Birthday Florio Jr. I hope you realize how much your dad loves you. In this day and age you can never get enough love. Just be glad you don’t play QB because a certain Redskin fan who has a man crush on his QB, would be dogging you to no end.

Way to go MF looks like you got a keeper.

11. silverbleedblack says: Sep 15, 2012 10:14 AM

Hopefully you get to enjoy the day Florio, well deserved!

12. CKL says: Sep 15, 2012 10:15 AM

Ahhhh 16…one of the first birthdays for which kids counted down the days until they reached it.
    I hope he has a happy birthday.
    You could always do what my mom did, forbid me to get my license at all until I was almost 18, and I’d already had a paid PT job (not counting babysitting)since I was 16.

13. EJ says: Sep 15, 2012 10:18 AM

Florio jr. Happy 16th B-day! Mike Florio, congratulations making it 16 years!

14. dadindebt6 says: Sep 15, 2012 10:24 AM

Congratulations on surviving your parents for this long. Don’t let them bull you. There is plenty of time to let you practice for your driver’s license. Just wake up the parents early and have them ride along as your drive to school!

15. humb0lt says: Sep 15, 2012 10:25 AM

Florio Jr. is lucky to have a father who is so devoted to him. Florio Sr. is a busy man, having becoming a sought after football analyst celebrity with the success of PFT, especially since the merger with NBC. Yet he obviously still finds time to be a full-time father to Florio Jr. This is pleasing. My father died a few days before my 16th birthday.

16. udtfrogmanvet says: Sep 15, 2012 10:29 AM

Happy Birthday, Jr.! We the people of the First Coast of Florida hope you have a great one! Virgos rule!

17. ingloriousmaster says: Sep 15, 2012 10:31 AM

Stories like this are what make PFT great. Florio’s love for his family is awesome and it’s nice to see a successful guy keep it real with personal, light articles. Keep up the good work MF, you and PFT deserve the attention your getting. Keep it up! You don’t get half of what you get on PFT on the Four Letter Network.

18. robigd says: Sep 15, 2012 10:47 AM

What is PFT, and what isn’t PFT? This story confuses what I thought I knew about PFT.

19. mymanmccoy says: Sep 15, 2012 10:50 AM

Let’s hope jr. goes to school and gets an education that means something instead of a law degree. Happy Birthday kid!

20. pftcensorssuck says: Sep 15, 2012 10:50 AM

I’m guessing that the older Jr. gets, the less he enjoys Dad using this site to talk about him.

heh, heh, heh…….

21. swedeg says: Sep 15, 2012 10:52 AM

You can hear the pride when you talk about Jr. when you’re on KFAN, Mike. Congrats to your family!

22. schmitty2 says: Sep 15, 2012 11:02 AM

Happy B-day Jr! And if “Voice ofreasonsays” posts on here that Jr will never grow up and be as good as a qb than RGIII I’m going to hunt him down

23. AlanSaysYo says: Sep 15, 2012 11:08 AM

Considering your build, he better sharpen up on his punting skills if he wants to play at the next level.

24. thepvyharvin says: Sep 15, 2012 11:16 AM

“It’s yet another one of those strange, bittersweet moments, where pride for what he has become intersects with sadness over days that never will return.”

Wow Florio, you are a good guy after all. My exact feelings as I watch my daughters grow,,,Happy Birthday JR! You deserve a VERY expensive car!

25. notoriousbri says: Sep 15, 2012 11:20 AM

Happy 16th Jr. Mike I hope you do get to enjoy all of these moments now because they grow up so fast. Good to see that you still make time for the important things.

26. nfloracle says: Sep 15, 2012 11:23 AM

Mike, take the rest of the day off and go fishing with your son!

The more you work and the older you get, the more you’ll regret working too much and not spending enough time with your kid(s).

At age 64 this realization is all too painful… and it’s too late to do anything about it in my case.

27. cliverush says: Sep 15, 2012 11:24 AM

This is one article a certain West Virginia lawyer enjoyed writing. Nice to see Mike.

28. canesfan56 says: Sep 15, 2012 11:26 AM

Happy birthday! Enjoy your time with him Mike; before you know it he will be in college. Because you love him and spend time with him now, he will want to spend time with you later.

29. nonetruerthanblue says: Sep 15, 2012 11:41 AM

Happy B-day, Flo J!

It’s great you write about your son and family from time-to-time. Allows readers to better connect with writers.

30. classygentleman7 says: Sep 15, 2012 11:42 AM

Tomorrow’s headline:
    “Florio Jr. grounded for life for crashing my car”

31. glazerh8er says: Sep 15, 2012 11:42 AM

Congrats. But no need to brag about how your nine year old son of a successful lawer/entrepreneur is smarter than V. Young from the hood. Let’s see how he does when you stop paying the bills and if he makes close to what V. Young made.

32. Mike Florio says: Sep 15, 2012 11:50 AM

He’s 5’11″ and 220.

33. darthvader89 says: Sep 15, 2012 11:56 AM

Wow. Seems like a pretty healthy 220, damn I wish I’d grown that early.

34. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Sep 15, 2012 11:56 AM

I dig it that Papa Florio has so much passion, respect, love and affection for his boy — exactly how it should be!

It may be “off-topic” – but it’s still cool by me.

And of course, Happy Birthday, Michael Florio, Jr.!

35. ndnut says: Sep 15, 2012 12:03 PM

16 years old, 5’11″ and 220 lbs. Attends a Catholic High School. This is an exact replica of me! (though I’m currently 15, holding a Restricted Drivers License in SD, and won’t be 16 till March. Is Jr. a Soph. or a Jr.?

36. Mike Florio says: Sep 15, 2012 12:04 PM

10th grade.

37. usmutts says: Sep 15, 2012 12:20 PM

Mike,
    Hug him fiercely every day, no matter how big he gets, or how old he gets, or how much he decides he doesn’t need a hug from his dad. It’s important. My son died at 14. I looked around and there was no son to hug.
    Best wishes to your family.

38. julyeast says: Sep 15, 2012 12:27 PM

happy birthday to Mike jr.

I love these periodic family posts – thanks for sharing

39. bleedburgandyandgold says: Sep 15, 2012 12:30 PM

Congrats! And happy birthday!

40. jasons81 says: Sep 15, 2012 12:34 PM

Happy birthday Florio Jr!

41. Corey Jeppesen says: Sep 15, 2012 12:37 PM

Happy Birthday, Florio Jr! You’re blessed!

42. tinbender2000 says: Sep 15, 2012 12:39 PM

Love them all you can whenever you can. Lost my oldest a few years back, would have been 22. My youngest is 8, I want to push down on her head to keep her small. It’s not working, she almost comes up to my shoulders! What are they putting in the food these days?
    Happy Birthday Jr.!

43. ddogdaddy says: Sep 15, 2012 12:41 PM

@nfloracle
    It is never to late. Pick up the phone, you may be pleasently suprised. I hope you are. Good luck.

44. thegreatgabbert says: Sep 15, 2012 12:43 PM

Sweet.

45. depleted00uranium00balth says: Sep 15, 2012 1:22 PM

Ha ha, that reminds me that my Mom’s birthday is today, too. I need to call her.

46. pftcensorssuck says: Sep 15, 2012 1:47 PM

I do feel bad for Florio Jr. though …. he’s at the age where other kids are going to start busting on him that his father is a real dweeb ……. kids can be so perceptive ….. er, mean.
    ;)

47. raiders757 says: Sep 15, 2012 1:49 PM

Happy Birthday!!!!

Drum solo everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

48. KIR says: Sep 15, 2012 3:02 PM

Mike, what is your height and weight? Is he already bigger than you?

49. mnvikes7897 says: Sep 15, 2012 3:39 PM

Happy B-Day!

50. larryboodry says: Sep 15, 2012 3:53 PM

Love all the comments…Happy Birthday, Mike Jr.!

51. rajbais says: Sep 15, 2012 5:00 PM

Congrats and Happy Birthday!!!

Hope you feel better soon!!! :)

52. Deb says: Sep 15, 2012 6:48 PM

Happy birthday, young man!!! Congrats on the success of your team!! So sorry to hear of your injury and wish you a speedy recovery. :)

53. catquick says: Sep 15, 2012 7:13 PM

I know how you feel, Mike! My son turned 30 yesterday. That’s why pictures are so important.

54. turfrage says: Sep 15, 2012 8:12 PM

Very tacky to throw in the Wonderlic score. Those scores aren’t for you’re use anyway. Serves no purpose here except to insult. Bad idea.

55. brewbrostv says: Sep 15, 2012 9:40 PM

Happy Birthday F JR! Bad news…it’s all uphill from here!!!

56. footballer4ever says: Sep 16, 2012 9:25 AM

usmutts
    Sep 15, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
    And luckily for young Florio his looks are inherited from his mom!

xx4zu1
    Sep 15, 2012, 10:05 AM EDT
    ——————————————————–
    You ain’t kidding about that. Besides looks, let’s hope Jr. Inherited mom’s charisma and personality too or else he’s in trouble.
    _________________________________
    KIR
    Sep 15, 2012, 3:02 PM EDT
    Mike, what is your height and weight? Is he already bigger than you?

I don’t think Florio Sr. will answer that, but from an article by deadspin.com in 2009, this might give you an idea.
    “Yesterday it was announced that feisty little Italian, Mike Florio, and his Pro Football Talk site were partnering with NBC Sports. “