Matt Ryan on Peyton Manning: Every QB wants to be where he is

Peyton Manning,  J.D. Walton AP

After watching film of Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning last week, several players on the Falcons’ defense said they don’t see any difference between the Manning of 2012 and the Manning who won four league MVP awards with the Colts. But it was a player on the Falcons’ offense, quarterback Matt Ryan, who may have had the highest praise for Manning.

Ryan says that when he’s squaring off against Manning on Monday Night Football, he’ll be going against the player he’s tried to imitate for most of his life.

Every QB watches him,” Ryan told the Associated Press. “You have to be your own player. But in terms of watching him at the line of scrimmage, what he’s done historically for a long time, you try to bring some of that into what we’ve done in the no-huddle. Certainly, I think everybody aspires to be where he is.”

Ryan, who was in seventh grade when the Colts took Manning with the first pick in the 1998 draft, said he can hardly remember a time when he didn’t look up to Manning.

“I remember watching him at Tennessee. Unbelievably talented,” Ryan said. “Then when he got into the NFL, he was carving people up and has been doing it for a long time. It’s fun to play against the very best, and he’s obviously one of the best quarterbacks of all time.”

Ryan said he doesn’t know how the Falcons’ defense will stop Manning tonight.

“Not my job,” he said. “That’s the great part of playing quarterback. I don’t ever have to go on the field against him.”

The job of the Falcons’ secondary won’t be easy tonight. With their top cornerback, Brent Grimes, out for the season after suffering a torn Achilles in Week One, the Falcons are shorthanded against a quarterback who might be the best ever, and who appears to be back after a year off and as good as he was in his prime.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Matt Ryan on Peyton Manning: Every QB wants to be where he is”
  1. tlmoon2112 says: Sep 17, 2012 1:20 PM

“Every QB wants to be where he is” :

Lets see if they say that after he gets carried off the field on a stretcher

2. randallflagg52 says: Sep 17, 2012 1:22 PM

Matt Ryan has done a great job impersonating Peyton Manning throughout his career. Especially the part where they both fall apart in the playoffs.

3. redskinpotatoes says: Sep 17, 2012 1:22 PM

At least Matt Ryan will win the nickname battle.

4. agentpyro says: Sep 17, 2012 1:23 PM

…Denver?

5. rajbais says: Sep 17, 2012 1:34 PM

Not me.

I’m okay with 3 Super Bowls, 2 MVP’s, Bridget Moynahan as my first lady, and Gisele as my current wife!!!!

Sometimes it’s better to be Brady than it is to be Manning!!!

6. joetoronto says: Sep 17, 2012 1:36 PM

Minus the bad neck.

7. beckzhere says: Sep 17, 2012 1:38 PM

Peyton Manning vs Peyton Manning 2.0

This game is going to be a lot of fun to watch. I’m expecting 300+ passing yards by both QB’s. And with Grimes out, Atlanta’s secondary is going to be suspect.

8. coltsluckdynasty says: Sep 17, 2012 1:46 PM

First off matty ice, you need to set your standards a little higher, and look at peytons playoff record, and stat line.. You don’t want to become one of the greatest “regular season” quarterbacks of all time! Trust me, as great as it was to have manning, it was also more frustrating than you could imagine. Denver will get a taste of it this year, wait, the cold and snow hasnt even started yet…. Just wait,manning is full of false hopes

9. cooklynn17 says: Sep 17, 2012 1:47 PM

why don’t you start by winning just one playoff game.

10. zaggs says: Sep 17, 2012 2:05 PM

Ryan has the wrong Manning. Eli has double the rings and doesn’t have to live in Denver.

11. gpatrick15 says: Sep 17, 2012 2:09 PM

You have to learn to lose before you figure out how to win sometimes. A lot of people harp on Ryan for his 3 playoff defeats, but 3 games is not a great sample size, and you cannot disregard how effective he was in getting them there. Ryan is a very good quarterback, on the cusp of becoming elite. Manning has a pretty spotty playoff record too, but he’s still considered by everyone to be one of the greatest ever. Once he figures it out in the playoffs, he’ll be given the recognition he deserves. Give the snarky remarks about Ryan’s playoff record so far all you want, but a good chunk of the league would be chomping at the bit to sign him if he ever became a free agent. All of this coming from a die hard Steeler fan.

12. truthfactory says: Sep 17, 2012 2:16 PM

The fact thay Peyton consistantly took 2-14 caliber rosters and coaching staff to the playoffs every year and to two Superbowls says a lot more than his playoff record indicates.

Almost every playoff game his team had an inferior running game, run defense, pass defense, special teams, and often times coaching. The ONLY advantage the Colts had in nany game was passing… And that was all thanks to P.M.

13. randallflagg52 says: Sep 17, 2012 2:35 PM

truthfactory says:Sep 17, 2012 2:16 PM

==================================

Let’s be honest here. Peyton got to beat up on the likes of the Titans, Jags and Texans when he was in Indy. For most of his time there that was 6 wins, easy. Any semi decent QB would have made the playoffs in a division that featured opponents like David Carr/Sage Rosenfells, David Garrard/Byron Leftwich and Vince Young/Kerry Collins.

14. londonps says: Sep 17, 2012 2:45 PM

I love how Peyton gets blamed for losing a team game with terrible defenses, sure he has had some bad games but what’s his playoff passer rating

15. sb44champs says: Sep 17, 2012 3:22 PM

Thats funny, Ryan has played against Brees countless times in the past few years and he has never, ever said anything GOOD about Brees… The same guy that won Super Bowl 44 MVP over top-notch Peyton Manning!!!

16. coltsluckdynasty says: Sep 17, 2012 3:31 PM

Well, Let’s see, when you are paid enough to field the entire Kansas city chiefs payroll, you will have deficiencies at other posistions. The colts couldn’t afford to field an entirely competitive team, because the likes of polian would dump money into horrible draft picks, and refused to ever hit the free agent market. don’t get it mixed up, I know Peyton seems like everyone’s all American hero, but Peyton is a greedy, “I know how hard I’VE worked” type of guy. I can remember the numerous times he blamed an offensive lineman, or threw 20 balls to Ty law, and Rodney Harrison. As for the chiefs, (I know, misdirection) what are they going to do when they are forced to spend 89% of the salary cap? Won’t be able to save much money will they, and rob their hard working fans of a team they deserve! See ya later mr bowe…

17. deeppurple13 says: Sep 17, 2012 3:38 PM

======================

Umm, if I’m not mistaken, the only reason the Titans weren’t in the playoffs every year was because of Peyton Manning. Also, if you want to talk about weakest divisions in football look no farther than the AFC East in which the Patriots have the easiest schedule in football year after year.

18. jsho55 says: Sep 17, 2012 3:48 PM

How much guaranteed money did Manning make between last year and this year?

Its not just QB’s that want to be where he is……..

19. gpatrick15 says: Sep 17, 2012 3:56 PM

Colts fans ragging on Manning? I’ve seen it all. Like it or not, Manning earned his contracts. He didn’t hire the Polians to run a crappy job around him. The Polians and that wackjob owner surrounded him with mediocre defensive talent outside of Mr Glass Bob Sanders. They haven’t had a decent running back since Edgerrin James left. And yet Manning still went to 2 Super Bowls, winning 1. You’ll be lucky (no pun intended) if Luck is even half as successful as Manning was. In no way should Manning be loathed in Indy, even if he doesn’t play there anymore. There’s too much “what have you done for me lately” in play these days, and I hate it.

20. rooneyruleblues says: Sep 17, 2012 4:15 PM

My favorite manning moment without a doubt was when he threw that pick 6 to porter in the superbowl. Just loved it.

Loved watching Eli, Archie, and Momma pout in the box seats.

Defensive coordinators should punish this guy, he wont last the season.

21. Broncofanatic7 says: Sep 17, 2012 4:49 PM

If all you hacks on here think that Rings are what separate great QB’s then you need to get a clue….
    Basically all of you are saying that you would rather have Brad Johnson, or Trent Dilfer than Dan Marino! Bogus!
    Teams win Championships, not just QB’s.
    Peyton is now on one of the best TEAMS he’s ever been on.
    Only 4x League MVP ever…. Peyton is the best QB of all time.

22. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Sep 17, 2012 5:27 PM

Lots of points in the game tonight!

23. cali49er707 says: Sep 17, 2012 5:40 PM

Broncofanatic7 says:
    Sep 17, 2012 4:49 PM
    Teams win Championships, not just QB’s.
    Peyton is now on one of the best TEAMS he’s ever been on.
    Only 4x League MVP ever…. Peyton is the best QB of all time.
    ————————-
    I have seen your PRO Manning posts before & it’s troubling for me. I understand you like Peyton Manning & thats ok but, you constantly run to the defense of Peyton like he is your best friend. Dude just because, you see him on TV doesn’t mean you know the guy!!!

24. xyzchattanooga says: Sep 17, 2012 5:48 PM

“Thats funny, Ryan has played against Brees countless times in the past few years and he has never, ever said anything GOOD about Brees…”

That’s funny. I remember watching an interview in which Ryan was very complimentary toward Brees, both as a player and as a person.

25. frostymugobeer says: Sep 17, 2012 6:02 PM

Elway may just end up being the best V.P. of football operations ever….
    the Manning deal looks to be a great move

26. Broncofanatic7 says: Sep 17, 2012 6:53 PM

————————————————–

Nothing that I said on that comment suggested that I stand up for him like he’s my friend. I stated obvious facts. People are saying that Peyton Manning isn’t really THAT good because he “only” has 1 ring…. There are many great QB’s (Dan Marino being the greatest I can think of) that don’t have even 1!
    You have guys like Roethlisberger who has played with a top 3 defense his whole career with 2 rings, and you have guys like Trent Dilfer that have done the same.
    I’m not saying Big Ben isn’t good, but I will definitely say that Peyton has been, and will be better than him at the end of his career.
    He has individual statistics to prove it, but has only 1 team championship.
    As a die hard Broncos fan, I even disagree with Elway (my personal fav QB of all time) that Peyton needs another ring or two to prove he’s the best. I just think he has done things in the game that have never been done before and he plays it smarter than most!