Anschutz’s interest in selling AEG could derail NFL’s L.A. plans

File of Los Angeles Kings team owner Anschutz posing after his team won the Stanley Cup in Los Angeles Reuters

At a time when the NFL’s potential return to Los Angeles seems to be closer than at any time since the Rams and Raiders left town a generation ago, the man behind the effort to build a new stadium in downtown Los Angeles could be unloading the company that would be building the stadium.

According to Reuters, Phillip Anschutz is considering selling AEG, that company that has been pushing to bring the NFL back to L.A.  It reportedly would sell for several billion dollars.

While AEG could still spearhead the project, the new owner of the company would have a strong say in such important strategic matters.  In the interim, there’s a chance that AEG will pull the plug on a potential money pit.

Meanwhile, Ed Roski has a shovel-ready project in the City of Industry.  But the NFL still doesn’t seem to care about that.

Permalink 58 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Jacksonville Jaguars, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
58 Responses to “Anschutz’s interest in selling AEG could derail NFL’s L.A. plans”
  1. jaggedmark says: Sep 18, 2012 10:23 PM

No football for you, Los Angeles

2. gweez76 says: Sep 18, 2012 10:24 PM

How about we get refs who know the rules before we trust the NFL to build a stadium.

3. reconl63 says: Sep 18, 2012 10:24 PM

This is just delaying the inevitable. LA is a superior city and will easily appreciate a football team more than the current loser cities of the Vikings, Bills, Bucs, Raiders, or Chargers. All those teams have sub-par fanbases and LA deserves a team more than they do. I’ll be laughing at you as I buy my season club seats and enjoy every game in style while you losers sit in a trailer with rabbit ears on your TV wishing you had the good life like we do in LA.

4. mjbulls45 says: Sep 18, 2012 10:28 PM

al davis still has rights to the city of L.A.

he sued and won,

google it.

5. trojanwarrior007 says: Sep 18, 2012 10:29 PM

well at least Minny used the LA threat to get their new stadium.

6. chuckleberry1974 says: Sep 18, 2012 10:31 PM

you forgot miami and jacksonville. 3 NFL teams in florida was a huge mistake.

7. gweez76 says: Sep 18, 2012 10:31 PM

Owners would fit right in Tinseltown.

They act like they care about the players health.

They act like they care about the integrity of the game.

8. mazblast says: Sep 18, 2012 10:36 PM

Neither Buffalo nor Bills fans are losers. Just the team.

It would be hilarious if the Raiders were the ones to move to LA. Back and forth, back and forth…

As for “LA deserves a team more than they do”, I request proof. You lost two teams already, to Oakland and St. Louis for gosh sakes. If LA “deserves” an NFL team because of its size, then Atlanta “deserves” an NHL franchise. Again.

9. kingcarlbanks says: Sep 18, 2012 10:39 PM

@reconl63,

Seems to me you had two teams at one time and could not hold on to them. And good life? Yeah i’ll take a pass on smog days, hour long waits on the 405, outrageous prices and taxes, oh, and gang warfare in the streets. I did my time in LA and couldn’t wait to leave, just like any sane person!

10. phillyfanmatt says: Sep 18, 2012 10:40 PM

If LA would supposedly support a NFL team better then some of the other cites you mentioned. Then why is that LA could not keep the 2 teams that previously played there and teams only even threaten to move there to get their cities to build them a new stadium yet never really seem to want to actually well you know move to LA. I mean it worked here in Philly all those years ago to get the Linc built and it worked again recently to get the bill passed in Minnesota. I highly doubt football is coming back to LA anytime soon. I’m just sayin.

11. Sam says: Sep 18, 2012 10:41 PM

@ reconl63. Why don’t you shut your mouth when it comes to things you dont know anything about. Minnesota has a great fanbase and even though it took forever to get a stadium deal done, guess who the drving force was to get a deal in place. Thats right, the fan base. Why dont you just pick one of the 3 teams already in california since la already struck out on keeping 2 in their “superior city”.

12. phillyjoej says: Sep 18, 2012 10:47 PM

Yes LA is far superior if you are referring to smog, 20 lane free ways, plastic people without personalities who go to sporting events simply to be “seen.” I would take every city tagged in this article 100 times before I’d move to LA.

13. what da says: Sep 18, 2012 10:49 PM

@ reconl63 ,
    Yes living in la la land with a bunch of yuppies, phonies, and smog must really be great. Also I would love to sit in the I405 gridlock traffic for 3-4 hours a day. Yup, that just makes me want to move to LA and pay a million dollars to live in a one bedroom shack. Sounds like a great life.

14. sbmcintosh36 says: Sep 18, 2012 10:53 PM

Did I really just read LA deserves a team and is a superior city….Holy crap please god give me what you’re smoking !!!
    They had their chance more than once didn’t support them and never will, I know you’ll get a team eventually so enjoy your games but you better bring friend to talk to to because no one else will be there.

15. jagswag72 says: Sep 18, 2012 10:53 PM

can you please explain why Jacksonville is tagged in this and Tampa is not….

16. buhbay1c says: Sep 18, 2012 10:56 PM

Sep 18, 2012 10:24 PM

Rampant crime, corrupt police force, lousy public education, and it’s a place where celebrities first class citizens tht can get away with murder. Sign me up to live in that toilet!

17. AlohaMrHand says: Sep 18, 2012 10:57 PM

The Honolulu Chargers……..

18. ambitoos says: Sep 18, 2012 11:06 PM

It would seem to me that this is a move that he needs to make to buy a team. AEG controls several stadiums and it would be a conflict of interest for AEG to own the team. He is freeing up several billion dollars to buy a team and build a stadium that he personally owns. This move tells me he’s about to make a deal. I can think of no one else but the Chargers. The Chargers can’t keep going and not sell tickets.

19. lessfrazier says: Sep 18, 2012 11:11 PM

@ reconl63 –

Yes – LA is superior to Minneapolis. Enjoy your smog; your gangs, your murders, your poverty, Compton, your 2 hour commutes, your broke state, your high gas prices, your high cost of living, Nancy Pelosi, your brush fires, your earthquakes, $1,000,000 for a 1500 sq ft home, Hollywood……oh, and your lack of a football team.

Yeah – the good life. L.A. I wish I was you….I really do.

20. b3nz0z says: Sep 18, 2012 11:14 PM

why did they lose all their other teams?

21. lafan101 says: Sep 18, 2012 11:54 PM

You people keep bringing up the fact we lost two NFL teams. Yes we did because we has to lousy owners in Al Davis and Georgia Frontiere. We don’t care if we get one because we don’t live and die with football like you hicks do. What else is there to do in many NFL cities? Nothing! We have the Lakers, Stanley Cup Champs the Dodgers becoming the West Coast Yankees. We can live without it. If we do get a team we should get our Rams back. So keep being jealous of us. Tomorrow it’s going to be 80 and beautiful again. I can use that line in January. Can you? Nope! Enjoy shoveling snow losers.

22. andrewfbrowne says: Sep 18, 2012 11:56 PM

LA is the Senator’s son of the NFL, lots of potential and excitement and then reality sets in and it is little more than a name and some glitz, but very little substance. If they deserve a team so bad, they should have kept the two they had. Bill Parcells said it best about potential, all it means is you ain’t done squat.

23. valman61 says: Sep 19, 2012 12:07 AM

Reconl63:

I sit in my new York giants club seats enjoying a superior experience of any California fan in history. I also do it while respecting the every day hard working fans who supported my team for almost a century making this club seat psl billion dollar stadium a possibility.

Also while respecting the fact that these people got pushed out cause I was willing to pay more. I earned and pay for that fun. I also know it wouldn’t be possible without the every day fans support.

I also do it knowing my city supports two teams and have forever. I will never ever ever sit there smug and cheer for a team after my pathetic fan base caused two teams to leave.

And I will never ever poke my nose at people who may not be as fortunate as me. That post was pathetic and basically sums up why LA has always been a failure for a passionate home fan base.

24. mullman76 says: Sep 19, 2012 12:20 AM

If California/ LA suck so bad, why do people keep moving here. I am 4th generation (non hispanic) Californian and I rarely meet anyone who is ACTUALLY from California.

So please, stay home or leave- but whining and stereotyping does no good.

Donkey transplants.

25. pooinyourface says: Sep 19, 2012 12:20 AM

I’m with Philliejoej on this one Hahah amen to that. Your gonna be laughing at chargers and Vikings fans from an L.A. stadium packed until half time when the place clears out by all of the “devoted” fans trying to beat the traffic. You guys really have a knack for that. the cheerleaders can be orange leather skinned white hair plastic bimbos and u can have Perez Hilton flamboyantly hopping around the stands in a pink jersey. Your making fun of cities who have had success in the past and NEVER lost 2 NFL teams. L.A. is a joke

26. slick3 says: Sep 19, 2012 12:47 AM

Ultra-liberal Los Angeles, California with it’s huge, and welcomed, concentration of illegal immigrants and extended families, won’t support American football. This severe cultural swing will now only support soccer. Therefore, no American football franchise will survive under those conditions.

27. scytherius says: Sep 19, 2012 12:51 AM

I’m in L.A. and used to care . . .until I saw the NFL willing to kill the game with refs who shouldn’t be there and are ruing a great game all so some billionaires can save a few million dollars.

Stay away NFL. I no longer care.

28. billsboy88 says: Sep 19, 2012 12:57 AM

Not sure how anyone can claim the Bills have a subpar fan base. U obviously know nothing about western NY. The area rampantly supports the team. The market is small and the team hasn’t been to the playoffs since 1999, yet the Ralph still sells out. If it doesn’t, it’s because the team is 3-12 there’s snow in the forecast and we could all make better use of the money for tickets to a meaningless game by spending it on Xmas gifts for loved ones.

On the other hand, Minnesota had a hard time selling out their last home playoff game, the chargers struggled to sell out this season’s home opener, and the Bucs can’t sell out a game if they included free passes to Disney. Do I even have to mention the crazy amount of empty orange seats at every Dolphins’ game?

Mark my words, if the Bills can make a late season playoff push, tickets to the December games at the Ralph will be a very hot commodity

29. pop562 says: Sep 19, 2012 1:04 AM

Sunny California, out 365 days 95% are sunny and nice breezes. It’s interesting that non residents of LA or California acts like they know the lifestyle and activities are like in LA. Oh no murder and gang violence…sounds so scary. Why won’t you pee brains do some research and see which city in America has a high murder rate and violence. Check out Detroit, flint Michigan, Chicago Illinois, Louisiana and then talk. But it’s ok, if LA is a scary place to live, I guess we can adapt in any environment and not a bunch of cowards hiding in their homes because they heard a gun shot. You guys sound anti social, grow some nutts.

30. billsboy88 says: Sep 19, 2012 1:11 AM

Sitting in trailers watching tv’s with bunny ears….hmm yeah not quite.

You do realize that LA has a huge amount of poverty stricken people, right? All those housing projects, slums, and ghettos aren’t art projects.

Also, I live in a 5 bedroom house with a detached 6 car garage situated on 4.5 acres. If I lived in LA that would cost me something like $10 million. Heck a double-wide with the bunny ear tv would cost $575,000 in LA.

Oh and my Samsung LEDs have cable, thanks.

31. juvegol says: Sep 19, 2012 1:21 AM

Haha oh you small town trolls sound funny bashing LA. You can bash all you want, my property’s value is still worth 3 to 4 times the value of yours …carry on :)

32. lafan101 says: Sep 19, 2012 1:24 AM

New York Giants club seats that are in New Jersey in the middle of a swamp. Enjoy freezing your ass off when you host the Super Bowl. No thanks! I’ll be watching in the comfort of my living room on my big screen and BBQing outside when it’s 80 and beautiful in February here in L.A. Say hi to Vinny and Guido. haha

33. notsobigsam says: Sep 19, 2012 1:50 AM

Forgetting about the bs and smack talk, the NFL will come to Los Angeles when it’s profitable enough.
    By that I men when the league can get a stadium on its own terms, with a very sizeable relocation fee.
    As for me, I have DirecTV, so I can watch whatever the best game is. (Yes, I live in LA, and I don’t care if the NFL ever comes back)

34. cliffordc05 says: Sep 19, 2012 1:52 AM

The lack of an NFL team in Los Angeles is reflective of the importance (or lack thereof of local revenue to an NFL franchise). I would like to see an impartial analysis of the extra revenue a Los Angeles team would generate for the league. At this point, the other owners are simply salivating over the possibility of receiving a relocation fee that will most likely exceed $300 million.

35. kingcarlbanks says: Sep 19, 2012 2:08 AM

One more earthquake and the whole question becomes moot. All of L.A will being hanging with the seals in the Pacific!

36. jfinn5 says: Sep 19, 2012 2:25 AM

Chargers are the only Southern Cal team and can’t sell out.

37. couple1314 says: Sep 19, 2012 3:05 AM

As a die-hard Vikings fan for almost 40 years, I would just like to say that I love to read a story about NFL football in LA knowing it no longer involves the Vikings. That said, reconl63, get your facts together before you make a post. The Vikings are in Minnesota for the long haul, and Zigy is going to bring Minnesota a Super Bowl victory……. in Minnesota. Please do not involve the Vikings in any further discussions involving the NFL in LA. Thank you.

38. bobnelsonjr says: Sep 19, 2012 3:25 AM

Some of you who claim LA does not deserve a team simply do not know your NFL history.

Minnesota had 3 teams fold before they were lucky to get another chance due to the NFL/AFL war. Duluth Eskimos, Minneapolis Marines, and Minneapolis Red Jackets.

Cleveland lost the Indians, Bulldogs, Rams, the Browns and yet got another franchise.

Boston lost the Bulldogs, Yanks, Braves/Redskins, and got another franchise when the NFL merged with the minor league AFL.

St Louis lost the All Stars, the Gunners, the Cardinals, and still convinced the Rams to move there.

The problem with Los Angeles has always been that the Colosseum and the Rose Bowl are too large in crowd capacity for the NFL and their old blackout policy. Each can hold more than any any NFL stadium. Additionally, as they approach 90 years of age, they were not designed with luxury boxes for corporate sponsors’ tax right offs in mind.

Public money for luxury boxes is un-American.

39. billybills says: Sep 19, 2012 4:24 AM

People forget L.A. hasn’t had a team in a dozen years. There are olds hookers that might follow raiders or rams, but also a generation of younger fans that are huge NFL fans but don’t have a strong interest in a particular team. Revenue potential is also much different given the change in demographic over time. As long as there’s a winning product on the field, which given the potential earnings, “future ownership” would spend money to do so, fans will flock and spend money. L.A. ranks in the top third tier in attendance for both teams in the NBA and MLB. Given the NFLs popularity, a new team would easily do the same if not better.

40. hoopieguy says: Sep 19, 2012 5:29 AM

Wow, People from New York and L.A. fighting over who has it better. I really am in an alternative universe. You both live in different versions of hell. I am a happy hoopie living in the sticks of Ohio. Well, gotta go now, I have to go out back and burn a wickerman and pray to my magic rocks. Wow, blogging is so cool. Even an un-learnt public screwl drop out like me gets to give the cyber-finger to up-scale folks from big cities…………
    GO BROWNS!!!! (and Bengals) Ha-Ha We got us TWO teams!!

41. jimmysee says: Sep 19, 2012 5:47 AM

Truly all the anti-L.A. lunkheads don’t have a clue.

California is the Golden State; I love L.A.

We actually get lots of football now — it’s all free — like five games each Sunday.

With no dumb-butt owner, public funding of a stadium, or threats of blackouts.

42. chandler455 says: Sep 19, 2012 7:19 AM

I still say jacksonville, non-movement agreement be damned, Yes the state/City where hardly anyone speaks english and you can get shot just standing at a street corner thats where i wanna go

43. sj39 says: Sep 19, 2012 7:22 AM

This LA nonsense should never have started but should stop now. No NFL team is going to shoulder the cost of moving a team to LA and LA is not going to pay for it. Forget it.

44. tomthebombtracy says: Sep 19, 2012 7:47 AM

People in the entertainment business have been scratching thier heads about how AEG operates and have been wondering when the Mr. A in AEG might just get tired of all this.

You see how public companines in the entertainment biz like Live Nation and many record companies have tanked. Not so AEG because it is not a stock you can follow.

Wonder, too, how the emails released in the last few months on the Michael Jackson have resonated with Mr. A. They dropped their 16M insurance claim on MJ’s death and the wrongful death suit by the family against AEG could be catastrophic.

He might have said enough is enough.

45. wmthomas3 says: Sep 19, 2012 7:52 AM

Screw off chuckleberry1974. The Jags haven’t had a blackout since 2009 and we won’t this season. We love are team even though we’re 0-2, but that doesn’t matter. Jacksonville is a football town. We have a word for people like you down here, A__holes.

46. gmen1987 says: Sep 19, 2012 8:23 AM

mazblast says:
    Sep 18, 2012 10:36 PM
    Neither Buffalo nor Bills fans are losers. Just the team.

99 13 i

==================================
    Buffalo is filled with losers and many Bills fans are losers.

47. rajbais says: Sep 19, 2012 9:20 AM

No they won’t!!!!

This idiot wanted to buy a franchise piece at a discount!!!!! Is he not watching the NFLRA/NFL dispute???? That’s all about money!!!

He ruined the current LA stadium deal and we don’t need him anymore!!!!! The whole country knows it!!!

48. realitypolice says: Sep 19, 2012 9:29 AM

Nobody is paying attention to Ed Roski and his “shovel ready” project in City of Industry because everyone knows that won’t work.

LA doesn’t work as a traditional football town. For an NFL team to succeed there, it has to draw the rich people and celebrities like the Lakers do, and that means a glitzy downtown destination filled with luxury suites, not a stadium in COI.

People in LA have lots of options, so you have to make yours the best. And schlepping out to the boondocks on a Sunday afternoon ain’t going to cut it.

49. realitypolice says: Sep 19, 2012 9:35 AM

b3nz0z says:
    Sep 18, 2012 11:14 PM
    why did they lose all their other teams?
    ===============

1) they played in an outdated stadium with little or no luxury suites

3) the rams actually played in Anaheim

2) one of the owners referred to astrology charts and consulted a psychic to make important business decisions

3) the other owner was so hated by the league that they refused to help him with his stadium issues

There is zero comparison between the situations those franchises found themselves in and what an owner with a state of the art downtown stadium loaded with luxury suites and the full support of the league would find themselves in.

50. chocopoppy says: Sep 19, 2012 9:42 AM

London here we come!

51. newyorkgiants11 says: Sep 19, 2012 9:58 AM

mullman76 says:
    Sep 19, 2012 12:20 AM

Hey Einstein….last year, for the 1st time since California became a state, more people have left the state than have moved to it. Don’t belive me, look it up genius.

P.S. the only people moving in…..illegals/entitlement scum. People moving out…..middle class, aka the tax base.

52. ernie ernie says: Sep 19, 2012 11:06 AM

Just where is the NFL going to get quality bodies to create a new teams. They already have some real bums playing right now at QB and running backs.
    Your going to water down the league with many more players who wouldn’t have made the cut.

Think about how many of the 32 teams have what you would call a top notch quality running back who is a game changer. Not too many. Most teams have those guys who a yard here a yard there.

I don’t care to see a bunch of rum dums playing the game and making stupid plays and mistakes. That’s what your going to get with two new teams.

Hockey went this route and now you have a host of also rans and one or two top teams.

53. AlohaMrHand says: Sep 19, 2012 11:25 AM

I’ll bet anything that stadium downtown is never built.LA won’t get a team and LA will be happy with that reality.The Texans were supposed to be LAs franchise even the league delayed the announcement just so they could get things in order and they never did.

54. mazblast says: Sep 19, 2012 11:30 AM

realitypolice,

The Rams moved from LA to Anaheim, then out of town–and that doesn’t count as having left LA? Nice logic.

As for Alice Davis, why should the league have helped him? He moved to LA without permission and was constantly suing the NFL, LA, Oakland, and anyone he could think of suing. The league was quite right to take the attitude, “Thanks for asking, but why should we help someone who’s always embroiling us in litigation instead of negotiation?” Davis always reminded me of that kid who asserts his independence from his/her parents–until he/she needs money, a car, a place to live, etc.

55. jefbob says: Sep 19, 2012 12:19 PM

“Wow, People from New York and L.A. fighting over who has it better. I really am in an alternative universe. You both live in different versions of hell.”

This. It pisses me off so much when LA and NYC (and other big city) people start thinking they are better because they live in the big city. It all comes down to preference and if your preference is LA or NYC, so be it….but your city is not “supierior”. If you ask me living in either city would be hell. I love living in southern Ohio and couldn’t imagine living anywhere else, especially a big city like LA or NYC. We’ve got country roads that aren’t gridlocked during rush hour and driving past the fields with a nice morning fog that hasn’t lifted yet is a lovely sight.

As for LA and being 80 in January, I’ll pass. Here in Ohio we get all four seasons and I don’t know what I would do with myself not getting to experience the nice cool fall mornings with the leaves changing colors. When the weather is nice and cool like that makes for good tailgating and football weather too. Snow doesn’t bother me one bit, I like having the chance for a white Christmas.

In short, you may appreciate what LA has to offer, but in no way shape or form is LA “superior”.

56. realitypolice says: Sep 19, 2012 12:27 PM

mazblast,

Thank you for making my point for me. People pointing to Al Davis leaving LA as an example of why the NFL can’t work there is idiotic, for all of the reasons you cite.

I’m glad you agree with me that the experiences of those two franchises should not be used a reason to not make a proper effort with a proper owner in a proper stadium to make football work in LA.

Thanks again.

57. billsboy88 says: Sep 19, 2012 4:24 PM

I agree with whoever said that the best place to live is entirely up to the individual.

The people who are from big cities feel like the city is the only place worth living and everyone else is stupid.
    Meanwhile, those of us not from the city can’t understand why anyone would want to pay a fortune to live on top of tons of other people and deal with constant gridlock traffic, noise, crime, and never get to see the stars.

Its all about your personal preference. I would never live in NY or LA, but plenty of people in those places would never want to live where I do. Neither view is wrong.

58. finitesd says: Sep 19, 2012 11:45 PM

I can’t stand L.A. for several reasons, (the people, the traffic, the smog, I can go on and on and on….) But I still believe L.A. DOES deserve an NFL team as long as its a relocation and not an expansion.

As lame as your post was, I do agree with one thing you pointed out. The San Diego Chargers have a VERY weak fan base. Some of the WORST fans in the NFL. And I’m a Chargers fan that was born and raised and still lives in San Diego!!

Don’t get me wrong, there are a good number of very dedicated, true Bolts fans in SD. Its all the other part-time, fake “fans” who make our overall fanbase look bad. At times I almost reconl63 — Yeah buddy, you have at the very least 5 years until your city will have a (regurgitated) team you can call your own. So until then everyone else will be laughing at you for the same childish reasons you explained in your post.

Don’t get me wrong, there are a good number of very dedicated, true Bolts fans in SD. Its all the other part-time, fake “fans” who make our overall fanbase look bad. At times I almost feel like we don’t deserve an NFL team.

But don’t get your hopes up L.A. football fans. The Chargers are NOT going to be moving to L.A. anytime in the near future!! If it was going to happen, it would have happened already. Spanos has had many opportunities to move the Bolts up north in the past decade and has spent millions of dollars in proposals alone to try to find ways of keeping the Bolts in SD. If the Bolts do bolt it will be a last minute desperation move after all efforts have been exhausted to get a new stadium built here.

But the truth is that L.A. isn’t any closer to getting a stadium than San Diego. Another thing that complicates the Bolts moving north is that Spanos does not want to sell a chunk of the team which from what I understand is exactly what needs to be done if a team is going to move to L.A..

I learned long ago not to believe everything you read in the media. And arguing about what city is “the best” is so pointless. Everyone has their own opinion. And none of our geographical preferences will have any effect on what team will move to L.A..

Oh, by the way…My Dad can beat up your Dad!!! ke we don’t deserve an NFL team.

Oh, by the way…My Dad can beat up your Dad!!!