Jay Cutler has no regrets about yelling at his left tackle

Jay Cutler, Clay Matthews, Erik Walden AP

Five days after Bears quarterback Jay Cutler bumped into and yelled at left tackle J’Marcus Webb during a loss to the Packers, Cutler said he won’t keep bumping his teammates. But he might keep yelling at them.

“I probably shouldn’t have bumped him, I’ll go with that. As far as me yelling at him and trying to get him going in the game, I don’t regret that,” Cutler said on ESPN 1000 in Chicago. “I’ve talked about it with the offensive line, each of them individually, and it is what it is. I think it’s been blown up probably a bit bigger than all of us expected. At the same time, that’s what you have to expect out of the media.”

Criticism of the media was a theme of Cutler’s radio appearance. When interviewer Marc Silverman started addressing problems with the Bears’ offense, Cutler cut him off and suggested that he doesn’t think members of the media know what they’re talking about when it comes to analyzing how an NFL quarterback does his job.

“These are guesses. You’re guessing. Admit that you’re guessing,” Cutler said, as Silverman tried to finish his question. “Yes, you are guessing. You are guessing. How can you say you’re not guessing? This blows my mind.”

Of course, it’s not just members of the media who have criticized Cutler since Thursday night’s game. It’s also opponents like Charles Woodson, who said the Packers knew Cutler would throw them the ball, and teammate D.J. Moore, who said he doesn’t think a quarterback can act the way Cutler acted. Cutler brushed off Woodson’s comments and said of Moore’s comments only, “He’s entitiled to his opinion and whatever he wants to say is up to him.”

One thing Cutler did make clear is that he doesn’t think his play against the Packers was as bad as his four-interception stat line would suggest.

“I think I had my composure. I think I had my composure all game. Under the circumstances, we moved the ball well all game,” Cutler said. “Every game, a win or a loss, you can go back and say, ‘We should have done this, we should have done that.’”

But for anyone who says Cutler should have held his tongue instead of yelling at his teammate, Cutler disagrees.

Permalink 72 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
72 Responses to “Jay Cutler has no regrets about yelling at his left tackle”
  1. eyeh8goodell says: Sep 18, 2012 1:27 PM

Cutler was wrong to do what he did. It’s not conducive to team cohesion and leadership.

However, he’s right about the media. All they do is magnify the smallest things and try to create drama and division. The media has gone from simply reporting the news to trying to create the news. And that is why networks like ESPN are closer to TMZ these days.

2. zoellner25 says: Sep 18, 2012 1:29 PM

Love him or hate him, Bears fans, he’s all yours. Good luck with that.

3. bigshirk says: Sep 18, 2012 1:30 PM

I see nothing wrong with anything he did.

4. mialto says: Sep 18, 2012 1:30 PM

JC6 is a passionate player with transparent body language…this makes him human.

Btw – more than 2/3 of those asked believe Cutler had every right after being sacked 6 times by the same person, and at times by his own linemen!

5. dbones750 says: Sep 18, 2012 1:32 PM

I love Jay Cuts. All drama, all the time. Dude was totally guessing, though.

Why not yell at the LT playing poorly? I have a job that pays wayyyyy less than a starting NFL LT. If I don’t do my job correctly, I get yelled at. Why shouldn’t he?

6. cheesewhiz12 says: Sep 18, 2012 1:33 PM

Under the circumstances, we moved the ball well all game,” Cutler said

At what point during that debacle dis Cutler ever move te ball well? The only TD came on a 4th down in garbage time on a drive that started at the Packers 30. And here I thought McNabb was dillusional.

7. ninjapleazee says: Sep 18, 2012 1:35 PM

Why not give Otah a shot

8. thebraso says: Sep 18, 2012 1:35 PM

Laser rocket arm and no brain….

9. pixelito says: Sep 18, 2012 1:35 PM

For a moment there I thought he was a real jerk.

10. rr2000k says: Sep 18, 2012 1:38 PM

He has no problem….until his left tackle lets a guy nail Cutler, as a pay back.

11. tatatoothy says: Sep 18, 2012 1:38 PM

I dislike Ryan Fitzpatrick a little less after reading this article. At least he’s a decent human being. Jay Cutler… not so much.

12. jhein23 says: Sep 18, 2012 1:38 PM

What a loser – Bears fans love him. What a leader & a winner lol.

13. londonlion81 says: Sep 18, 2012 1:39 PM

What a lovely guy.

14. jhein23 says: Sep 18, 2012 1:39 PM

Does Cutler ever admit he’s played like hot garbage? This guy think he’s a top 5 QB smh

15. jdawg111 says: Sep 18, 2012 1:41 PM

Cheesewhiz12

Actually the Bears were moving the ball down 3-0 until the refs killed their drive because he threw a flag on our RT for a 15 yard penalty even though the diva LB Hawk hit him first after the whistle with a ref (who threw the flag) looking right at the whole thing.

Even the announcers said it was complete bs and it should have been flags on both teams and offsetting penalties instead of a 15 yarder just on the Bears which killed their drive. But then again, they also overturned a call prior to that handing GB 3 points on a phantom 12th player, which also was a bs reversal according to the announcers.

16. justintuckrule says: Sep 18, 2012 1:41 PM

I’d yell too if I was sacked a million times in the span of 7 minutes.

17. metalhead65 says: Sep 18, 2012 1:41 PM

good for Cutler! I am sick of reading what a players says one day then offering apologies the next saying he was misquoted. I think it’s great he does not kiss the medias ass in order to get good press. people like florio have a personal agenda against him because of it. they think they can write and say anything they like about a player then act all indignant when that player dares say something back or defends himself.

18. mnpacker says: Sep 18, 2012 1:41 PM

He’s right, it’s everyone else’s fault. He also had his composure and never looked like a baby throwing a tantrum, and even though some retired QBs said the same thing about him, they are just guessing what it takes to be a quarterback.

19. scoops1 says: Sep 18, 2012 1:42 PM

Trade this guy to the Jets for Sanchez and 4th rounder. Cutler would fit Rexy’s system perfectly

20. theashleyguy says: Sep 18, 2012 1:44 PM

A leader steps up. If a leader screws up he says so. He doesn’t try to blame it on the media (because let’s face it–I didn’t see one reporter or camera operator out there yelling at J’Marcus Webb and bumping into him). I know this is really, really hard for you, Jay, but you could try being a leader. Do you see one other team out there with current and past players criticizing their QB publicly? Just one? If you can’t name one other team, then maybe, just maybe, you have some behaviors to correct.

21. piemasteruk says: Sep 18, 2012 1:45 PM

I can’t help but wonder how Cutler would feel if he was having a bad game and one of his o-linemen decided to tear him a new one in front of everybody.

22. bearskoolaid1985 says: Sep 18, 2012 1:46 PM

I like that BEARS quarterback was in Webb’s face. Webb needs someone in his face for he needs to play a lot more aggressive and mean spirited.
    So I applaud Jay for getting in Webb’s face. Maybe Tice should start using a cattle prod to help Webb play better.

23. qbofthenever says: Sep 18, 2012 1:51 PM

Back in ’82, Jay Cutler could throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

24. otis52gsh says: Sep 18, 2012 1:53 PM

Your not making friends here in Chicago Jay.

25. bfrsd says: Sep 18, 2012 1:55 PM

Gotta love all the Bear fans sticking up for this guy every week. I can’t wait until he’s traded or released in the future and all the same fans who defended him along the way will say how happy they are to see him go and that they’ve been saying that for years.

If Cutler were the QB of my favorite team, I would still root for them to win just as much usual but I would hope the winning came from the run game and the defense. I just could never root for the guy. Couldn’t stand him in Denver or Chicago. And he’s delusional. They moved the ball well all game? They had negative yards in the first quarter I believe.

26. bullcharger says: Sep 18, 2012 1:59 PM

Cutler has to say “It was a team loss but I played poorly and I need to improve”. Why can’t he just say it. It’s totally true and would fix all this BS.

27. justintuckrule says: Sep 18, 2012 1:59 PM

Where’s the media slamming Aaron Rodgers for showing up Finley last year in the playoff loss after Finley dropped about 15 passes?

28. dannythebisforbeast says: Sep 18, 2012 2:00 PM

Yelling is one thing. Put your hands on me and I’ll lay you out. Webb probably would have whiffed but. Cutler is a douche. He didn’t exactly play great when he did have time.

29. eddardofthehousestark says: Sep 18, 2012 2:05 PM

Wow, this guy gets more and more unlikeable by the minute. And then they have that loudmouth Urlacher on defense, I feel sorry for Bears fans. You guys have my remorse. Good luck winning 6 games this year.

30. bfrsd says: Sep 18, 2012 2:06 PM

Why do all you Bears fans keep bringing up Rodgers when talking about Cutler? Rodgers is loved and respected by his teammates. He was at Cal and he still is in Green Bay. When he yells at someone on the field (and never physically touches them) he always takes responsibility through the media. He never blames teammates at his press conferences. He always puts the blame on himself.

Cutler was disliked by many teammates at Vanderbilt. He was disliked by many in Denver. He is now disliked by many in Chicago. He throws teammates under the bus on and off the field regularly. How does that compare to Rodgers. Not one of you could sincerely tell me that you would take Cutler over Rodgers.

31. duck99 says: Sep 18, 2012 2:07 PM

Cutler said he wished Webb would have pushed him back. He wanted to light a fire under the guy who cares more about tweeting his fast food meals.

32. duck99 says: Sep 18, 2012 2:09 PM

Cutler also said he played poorly and should have thrown a better ball on the pass Marshall dropped for a TD. The article doesn’t tell the whole story.

33. bfrsd says: Sep 18, 2012 2:09 PM

And to compact his current locker room problems, his delusion is very apparent when talking to the media. He tells the Chicago media they don’t know what they’re talking about but then he says that they moved the ball well and he didn’t play bad. The Packers had 4 picks and dropped another 3 that hit them right in the hands. How is that good?

34. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Sep 18, 2012 2:10 PM

He’s very puffy.

35. purpleguy says: Sep 18, 2012 2:14 PM

Let me guess something: Cutler is an okay QB, but completely unlikeable as a person.

36. rayburns says: Sep 18, 2012 2:17 PM

I think it’s time to face the facts. Cutler is not a leader and never will be a leader. He doesn’t have the temperament to lead a team. And that’s not a knock against Cutler. But Chicago needs to realize that they can’t keep expecting Cutler to be the one to pick them up and carry them.

As for Cutler yelling in the dude’s face, that’s great and actually does show fire and spirit. When guys like Michael Jordan, who was notorious for riding his own players like personal hobby horses, would get in someone’s face, MJ would then go out and drop the next ten points which gets a lot more attention. But you lose a lot of credibility when you do that and the next time you’re on the field you throw wounded ducks to wide open receivers.

37. bearflagfan says: Sep 18, 2012 2:23 PM

BTW don’t the Bears have an OLine coach? That’s Webb’s boss, not Cutler. Every Bears fan sticking up for Cutler needs to think how you’d like it if a co-worker who doesn’t even know how to do your job criticized you in public, to the media and everyone else. If the line isn’t working then it Tim Holt’s job to fix it or get fired.

38. bmue42 says: Sep 18, 2012 2:25 PM

It looks like hes guessing if his receivers are open or covered

39. bearflagfan says: Sep 18, 2012 2:32 PM

Jay Cutler is Ryan Leaf with less talent.

40. jtbndy says: Sep 18, 2012 2:37 PM

“It’s also opponents like Charles Woodson, who said the Packers knew Cutler would throw them the ball”

Right… because snide comments from a division rival should be taken very seriously.

41. nfloracle says: Sep 18, 2012 2:38 PM

Cutler in this interview reminds me of Jim Mora, Sr. when he melted down on the Jim Mora show one night many years ago in New Orleans and pointed out that most sports reporters really didn’t know jack about what was happening in an NFL football game.

Both Mora and Culter are right, of course. Nobody can understand the intricacies of today’s game without actually playing it.

42. slk018 says: Sep 18, 2012 2:40 PM

Jay needs to do this behind closed doors. yelling at him is one thing, but dont push him. Adress it behind closed doors. Cutler is a punk imo anyway

43. endzone says: Sep 18, 2012 2:50 PM

Jay Cutler’s plesantries with the press is only surpassed by Jim Harbaugh’s.

44. kehnn13 says: Sep 18, 2012 2:51 PM

Kind of silly that we are saying players shouldn’t yell at their teammates now…remember Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird? These guys all let their teammates know when they weren’t doing their job, and we used to call that good leadership. What is happening to us?

45. trevor123698 says: Sep 18, 2012 2:53 PM

we’ve seen low points in cutlers career before. you will all see a super bowl win before his career is over. And if there is any one thing holding him back its diabetes, which is easily cured with doctors who know what they are doing.

46. jjb0507 says: Sep 18, 2012 2:58 PM

Bears fans shouldn’t be so hard on Jay he may get upset and ask for a trade.

47. f00sballfan says: Sep 18, 2012 3:08 PM

Watch out, Jay. Webb might toss you a “good luck block” or two next game.

~SarcasmOff

48. warwiac says: Sep 18, 2012 3:31 PM

I don’t really like Cutler, but I think he’s getting a bum rap cuz of last year. I read the comments on here about how he acted etc and then watched the game for the 1st time that nite. And Frankly I could find no difference between his behaviour and that of Rodgers. And frankly I thought he did play well considering how often he got hit. And the int’s weren’t that bad either. One was his, the other one he was hung out to dry by his receiver and the other was just a great play by the defense, and the one at the end of the game was garbage time anyways.

49. skyslimit87 says: Sep 18, 2012 3:35 PM

I’m really not sure how Webb still has a job…I don’t have any problem with what cutler did to this scum

50. dino2997 says: Sep 18, 2012 3:38 PM

jjb0507 says:
    Sep 18, 2012 2:58 PM
    Bears fans shouldn’t be so hard on Jay he may get upset and ask for a trade.

—————————————————

Don’t confuse the media and the haters with Bears fans. The vast majority who have seen all of Cutler’s games know what he’s about and support him fully.

51. ninersfan75 says: Sep 18, 2012 3:40 PM

I agree with other commenters who say Jay Cutler did nothing wrong and the media is trying to create controversy. If you watch the replay of the bump closely, Cutler bumped him in a playful manner and you could see Webb laughing and sticking his tounge out. Cutler wasnt criticizing Webb, he was telling him to get his head in the game. And the way Webb was playing, he deserved much worse then he got. If this kid Gabe Carimi is the real deal, they need to move him to left tackle. Can you really blame Jay Cutler for throwing the ball up for grabs after getting sacked a million times. Those weren’t the best passes he threw, but Brandon Marshall needs to catch the ball and help out his quarterback.

52. greatgallopingghost says: Sep 18, 2012 3:52 PM

OK, I watched the game and:

WEBB
    If he has any value at all it isn’t as outside edge protection; he couldn’t protect the outside edge of a coffee cup while holding it with both hands. He is big but far too slow for that position. Plus, I watched as a defender would get one, maybe two steps on him, he’d just stop and watch Cutler get sacked; no effort to pursue. He deserved to be yelled at but not “bumped”.

CUTLER
    Jay was not compsed and was not moving the ball no matter what he says. Bad officiating aside, he was too busy running for his life to be effective. He also has a facial expression that shows readily when he gets rattled. The Packers got into his head and he let them. There was also a lack of the short, over the middle passes that would have spread the Packer pass defense maybe allowing more yardage but that observation is subjective.

OFFENSIVE LINE
    And if there is any truth in advertising then the line was truely offensive during this game. Rewatch the game and see how fewer and fewer receivers are sent downfield as time goes by because they are being held back to protect the quarterback from 3 and 4 man rushes plus the occasional blitz. Chicago has some awesome weapons this year but an entire arsenal won’t do you any good if they have to stand in for pass protection.

THE MEDIA
    You guys really do have an issue with the Bears/Cutler and it comes across in this forum. When the Bears win your focus is on the other team (their QB, recievers, coach). When they lose your focus is on the other team (their QB, recievers, coach). Very seldom do I see any effort in analyzing the Bears offense or defense for weaknesses or improvements. I do see quite a bit of finger pointing and blame at specific people on the squad. You guys are professionals, I expect more from you.

53. cobibones13 says: Sep 18, 2012 3:59 PM

people need to quit referencing great players yelling at teammates like it’s somehow applicable to this situation.

Cutler yelling at his teammates during games on the field is like Horace Grant or Steve Kerr throwing a temper tantrum at lesser players.

You don’t see his o-linemen acting like know-it-all jerks yelling at him after every pick he threw, but somehow he has a license to act like a jerk to his teammates when he wants to? I guess that would be cool if he actually accomplished something in his career.

54. larryboodry says: Sep 18, 2012 4:09 PM

trevor123698 says: Sep 18, 2012 2:53 PM

————————————–
    Diabetes can be controlled with proper treatment and medication…There is no cure.

55. wnstonchill says: Sep 18, 2012 4:11 PM

The pride before the fall! This is what happens when a guy can’t swallow his pride and admit when he messed up. A LEADER is the first to step up and apologize so things can be resolved. It’s a shame that a guy with so much God given ability is such a mental midget. As a Bears fan for many years, I hate to see the best QB we’ve had here in decades, self-implode. I think it’s the McCaskey curse rearing it’s ugly head once again……. it’s been real, Jay, but I think the beginning of the end is taking place. Hope I’m wrong, but a leopard can’t change his spots.

56. ballboy48 says: Sep 18, 2012 4:14 PM

This guy is a cancer. Bears should just cut their ties with him, and let him go all Hollywood with his girlfriend, or wife, whatever she may be.

57. larryboodry says: Sep 18, 2012 4:18 PM

bfrsd says: Sep 18, 2012 2:06 PM

——————————————-
    And you know this how, exactly?

58. gizzmonic says: Sep 18, 2012 5:08 PM

After bumping him with his shoulder, i’m surprised he did’nt take himself out of the game. Ohhh. He only does that in the playoffs… This drama queen has done NOTHING to impress.anyone…..football wise!

59. nashwaakkidd says: Sep 18, 2012 5:54 PM

maybe Chicago should flirt/glance at Flynn in seattle…..you know what would happen next?!?!?! bye bye bears,

60. shorttracknews says: Sep 18, 2012 6:38 PM

Seems like PFT is making a bigger deal out of this then then the city of Chicago is. Webb has played poor his whole career and the Bears upgraded a lot this off season but ignored the offensive line (again) and anyone would be frustrated with this. Blowups like that happen every week of every game in the NFL, not sure why this one is such a bigger deal then the rest.

61. denverdude7 says: Sep 18, 2012 7:04 PM

Here’s what nobody is talking about.

The Bears O-Line is actually pretty good. But they practice the good old “Ole” block because Cutler is such a whining, sniveling little brat they would prefer to take their chances with anyone else but him.

62. bfrsd says: Sep 18, 2012 7:19 PM

larryboodry says:
    Sep 18, 2012 4:18 PM
    bfrsd says: Sep 18, 2012 2:06 PM

——————————————-
    And you know this how, exactly?
    ________________________________
    Gotta love the ignorant thumbs up for your comment. It’s a widely known fact that Cutler had the same problems while at Vanderbilt. His body language was an issue, his calling out teammates was an issue, and his think skin and thick head was an issue.

As it has been in every stop on Jay Cutler’s career, when things are going well Jay plays well and acts like a man, but when things don’t go perfectly Jay gets flustered and acts like a little kid. While he was griping in Denver an analyst at Vanderbilt said that if Jay gets love and is respected by everyone he will give respect back but once things get tough he becomes a sour puss.

63. snccoach says: Sep 18, 2012 7:35 PM

That locker room is a mess right now. You can tell Olin Kruetz isn’t there any more because if he was there’s NO WAY Cutler would run his mouth or ever put his hand on an offensive lineman.

64. wnstonchill says: Sep 18, 2012 7:40 PM

Cutler needs a self-directed leadership education program. Until he figures out that the world doesn’t revolve around him, he’s going to be like a yo-yo. It’s called mastery over self. He can ‘t effectively lead his team until he learns how to follow. If a guy is too big to follow, he’s too small to lead!

65. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Sep 18, 2012 7:44 PM

I’m “guessing” Cutler is a jerk QB that threw 4 INTs to the Packers which I’m “guessing” cost them the game.

66. chi01town says: Sep 18, 2012 8:08 PM

Cutler did exactly what he should have done an when its time ( an it will come ) Cutler should GO OFF AGAIN. Play up to his expectations or leave.

67. wferg1121 says: Sep 18, 2012 9:19 PM

Not a Bears fan, but that offensive line stunk. Cutler got the crap beat out of him. I don’t blame Cutler, I saw Brady do it to his offensive line before, but he is labeled a competitor or leader.. Cutler screams at a guy and he is a crybaby.. That line has stunk for a while and the Bears hasn’t done enough to fix it.

68. bedabear says: Sep 18, 2012 10:00 PM

“I think I had my composure.

I’m glad you think so Jay, because you are about the only one who thought that.

69. larryboodry says: Sep 18, 2012 10:56 PM

snccoach says: Sep 18, 2012 7:35 PM

——————————————
    If Kreutz was still there he’d be the one in Webb’s face, Cutler wouldn’t have to.

70. larryboodry says: Sep 18, 2012 11:08 PM

@ bfrsd…You said:

“While he was griping in Denver an analyst at Vanderbilt said that if Jay gets love and is respected by everyone he will give respect back but once things get tough he becomes a sour puss.”

Thank you for clarifying that, I learned something from that…But you know, that makes Jay human, not evil…Anyone who has ever yelled at his wife after a bad day at work knows the feeling.

71. dukemarc says: Sep 19, 2012 10:23 AM

How the heck did this guy get a degree in “Human and Organizational development” at Vandy?

72. rootgamble says: Sep 19, 2012 11:34 AM

Why don’t we see anything on one of the first things he said in the interview? “Offensively it starts with me, I’ve got to play better.” Everyone says he needs to take accountability, yet when he does it gets skipped over so he can continue to be ripped. He said it a few times over the course of the show that he needs to play better.

Also, maybe you should let people know what the “you’re guessing” thing was all about. First off, he’s got a weekly radio show with Waddle and Silvy and they have a great rapport, and tend to bust each other’s you-know-what’s a bit. It’s not as if it is a mandatory interview with some random radio host that he has never spoken to before. Silvy said “I felt against Green Bay a lot of things were bugging you” and went on to list a few things. That’s where the guessing comment came from, it had nothing to do with how the media as a whole has no idea how to analyze an NFL quarterback.

Perhaps you should listen to the whole show/interview, or at least have a link where others can hear for themselves instead of taking quotes out of context and spinning them to make a guy look bad. Just sayin.