Redskins place Orakpo and Carriker on season-ending IR

Adam Carriker AP

The Redskins did the expected today and placed defensive end Adam Carriker and linebacker Brian Orakpo on injured reserve.

Neither player got the designated for return label, which means both are out for the rest of the season.

To fill their roster spots, the Redskins promoted defensive end Doug Worthington from their own practice squad, and signed linebacker Markus White off the Buccaneers practice squad.

They also signed defensive lineman Dominique Hamilton to the practice squad.

Worthington spent most of last year on their practice squad, while White was drafted by the Redskins in last year’s seventh round, and went to Tampa Bay after the Redskins waived him in final cuts this year.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
19 Responses to “Redskins place Orakpo and Carriker on season-ending IR”
  1. JSpicoli says: Sep 18, 2012 3:24 PM

Bringing new meaning to the term “Orakpoed”

He is taking the bus and he WILL be at the pancake breakfast.

2. voice0freasonsays says: Sep 18, 2012 3:25 PM

Guess I’ll have to give up on the redskins and go for my real favorite team…. the 49er’s. Nothing finer than a forty niner Brother!!!

3. pottymouth777 says: Sep 18, 2012 3:29 PM

Big shoes to fill.

Wish #94 & #98 speed recovery!

4. urworstnitemare58 says: Sep 18, 2012 3:40 PM

Well at least Orakpo will have more time with his cheerleading lady friend that he does the ads with.

5. adlent says: Sep 18, 2012 3:41 PM

This really hurts. Talking a pure pass rush standpoint I think honestly the backups could generate the amount of sacks Orakpo has brought each of the last few seasons, but he is freakishly athletic and we will also miss Adam Carriker who has been stout in the run.

6. voiceofreasonsays says: Sep 18, 2012 3:47 PM

Orakpo is the LaVar Arrington of this decade. Good player but no so vital that the defense will drastically suffer. The defense will chug along just fine and I’m glad Rob Jackson is there as he offers more. HTTR.

7. kattykathy says: Sep 18, 2012 3:49 PM

It’s not like the ‘Skins were gonna crash the playoff party anyway. As long as Snyder is involved, they will never be nothing more than mediocre

8. eventhorizon04 says: Sep 18, 2012 4:19 PM

“The defense will chug along just fine.”

Yeah, the defense only allowed 31 points against the St. Louis Rams and only 32 points against the New Orleans Saints – and that was WITH Orakpo and Carriker.

But I’m sure they’ll keep doing “just fine” without them.

9. jmsincla says: Sep 18, 2012 4:54 PM

2 weeks, 4 players on IR for the skins. Ouch.

10. rg3andout says: Sep 18, 2012 4:54 PM

We are doomed fellow skins fans!!!!

11. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Sep 18, 2012 5:11 PM

Makes little sense to have to pre-designate to bring a player back. If you get one exception make it open ended. who knows how fast different players will respond down the road or what the team needs will be. Why lock them in?

12. rg3andout says: Sep 18, 2012 5:23 PM

rg3 will take us to the promiseland, if the bottom is promiseland, us true skins fans will take it, were used to it!!!

13. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 18, 2012 5:28 PM

Too bad. I hate to see this.

14. endzone says: Sep 18, 2012 6:26 PM

And I have to wonder would both Carriker and Orakpo have gone down injured if the game had not gotten out of hand because of the replacement refs being in over their heads?

But I think the players from both Rams and Redskins teams are at fault too. Too many of them acted like 6th grade boys taking advantage of a substitute teacher. Only the stakes are much higher: their own heads and bodies.

Seems to me right now the best thing to do until things improve in the officiating is for players to play cleaner before, during, and after the whistle. Doing anything else is just plain stupid since they are the ones directly suffering the consequences of bad officiating. Stop taking cheap shots and trash talking at each other and the officiating will get a whole lot better from the replacements.

15. boyshole25 says: Sep 18, 2012 6:37 PM

i think im going to miss carriker more than orakpo, he has never had a sack against an nfc east opponent. hes good but cmon man. Secondly our front 7 isnt that bad our secondary on the other hand has been trash since taylor was killed

16. rg3andout says: Sep 18, 2012 6:57 PM

no need to fear fellow skins fans, rg3 is near……………..the bottom!!!!

17. jimmylions says: Sep 18, 2012 8:26 PM

I’m with everyone who thinks this will give Orakpo more time with his Scrabble partner. I hope this means those commercials go away.

18. tdurdenlives says: Sep 18, 2012 10:23 PM

I’ve not been too impressed with my Skins’ defense in general since we changed to the 3-4. There were a few times on Sunday when I saw the Rams opening lanes so wide I thought I almost could have run for a first down. I think we have some very decent players, the scheme just isn’t working. I guess I’m just not a Jim Haslett fan.

I almost wish we still had Gregg Williams running our D.

19. skinsfan91 says: Sep 18, 2012 11:15 PM

voiceofreason you are pathetic and make me physically ill. You don’t deserve to say “HTTR.” Please shut up and leave. Don’t post in a Redskins thread again. “The loudest guy in the room is the weakest guy in the room.”