Saints wideout raising money to help injured Tulane player Devon Walker

Devon Walker AP

Saints wide receiver Joe Morgan doesn’t have a household name.

He’s not letting that stop him from trying to do what he can to help an injured member of the football fraternity. Tulane player Devon Walker fractured his spine during a game against Tulsa on Sept. 8 and he remains in an Oklahoma hospital while he recovers from the injury. Dealing with such injuries requires a lot of money and Morgan is doing what he can to make sure Walker has enough of it.

Morgan is donating tickets to this week’s game against the Chiefs, a football autographed by members of the Saints and a dinner for two to a raffle that’s being conducted on the Tulane campus. Nakia Hogan of the New Orleans Times-Picayune has more details on how to buy a raffle ticket and there are other ways to help out the Devon Walker Fund that the school has helped set up to benefit Walker and his family.

The Saints’ importance to the city of New Orleans has been a frequent talking point since hurricanes ravaged the city in 2005. It’s nice to see that Morgan has bought into that connection with designs on helping an injured member of the community.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Saints wideout raising money to help injured Tulane player Devon Walker”
  1. doe22us says: Sep 18, 2012 10:04 AM

Very Admirable and a great cause by Joe Morgan. Never heard of him, but he has sky rocketted in my books.

2. oneandonlyramsfaninpa says: Sep 18, 2012 10:15 AM

I am all about this, I think its great what he is doing. but I don’t understand how the school doesbt hafta pay for his injuries considering it happened on the field in play? arnt schools covered with insurance for this stuff?

3. neovenator250 says: Sep 18, 2012 10:29 AM

I know one of Walker’s cousins. He’s got some feeling in his extremities and he’s being moved from the hospital in Tulsa to an undisclosed location to see a specialist. Devon was a senior in Tulane’s Cell and Microbiology program. Hopefully he’ll be able to make something with that since his football career is done.

4. nispikers says: Sep 18, 2012 10:50 AM

The player does have insurance through the school and the NCAA, but the money is probably going towards other expenses like having his parents stay there. Living expenses for them, meals, etc. It takes more than just insurance for these types of injuries. Joe Morgan has stepped up in my book. But this is just another typical Saint doing what he can for others. Good for Joe Morgan and good for Devon Walker. Devon and his family have been in my prayers since the day this happened!

5. granadafan says: Sep 18, 2012 11:03 AM

“oneandonlyramsfaninpa says: Sep 18, 2012 10:15 AM
    ===============================================

There aren’t just hospital bills, but homecare, therapy, or wheelchairs. If they can bring him home, the family might need to renovate the house to accomadate home therapy equipment. Plus his family will need places to stay when they visit him in the hospital.

Kudos to joe Morgan for helping out a kid in need of help.

6. daknight93 says: Sep 18, 2012 11:06 AM

Big ups to Joe Morgan, very admirable…my thoughts and prayers are with this young man and hopefully he recovers from his injury.

7. nomercy2012 says: Sep 18, 2012 11:14 AM

As a Saints fan, I’ve followed Joe on twitter and by all accounts he’s a great guy. I’m not suprised by this gesture and while it’s true he hasn’t quite lived up to his potential on the field, the Saints fans trashing him in the comments section of the linked article – should be ashamed.

8. fatguystrangler says: Sep 18, 2012 11:28 AM

Stand-up move by Joe Morgan. I’m sure any little bit will help to aid in Devon Walker’s recovery. It’s always nice to hear these type of positive stories in the news.