Sean Lee calls Golden Tate block “part of football”

Sean Lee AP

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones believes the NFL should and will fine Seahawks receiver Golden Tate for his hit on Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee on Sunday. But Lee says he didn’t have a problem with it.

“It’s one of those deals. It’s part of the game,” Lee said. “It’s part of football. The NFL will judge whether that’s legal or not. Whatever it is, I’ll deal with it. I’m on to the next game. I’m not worried about it. I’m more worried about how we can be better on defense, how we can improve from the mistakes we made.”

Tate’s block on a Russell Wilson run (which you can see here) was the kind of hit that most of us were taught growing up is, in fact, part of football — and a great part of football. There are probably high school coaches across the country showing that clip to their players as an example of the right way to block downfield.

But the NFL’s approach to player safety has changed so much in recent years that it’s not surprising that Jones believes Tate should be fined. We’ll see this week whether the league office agrees.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
30 Responses to “Sean Lee calls Golden Tate block “part of football””
  1. blackqbwhiterb says: Sep 18, 2012 7:42 AM

Jerrah wouldn’t say anything if one of his guys made the exact same block on an opponent, it looked pretty legal to me..Way for Sean Lee to man up and not be a whiner about it, too-THAT’S how a player should react.

2. kiopta1 says: Sep 18, 2012 8:13 AM

To me it look as legal as it was violent.

3. rdrdrs58 says: Sep 18, 2012 8:20 AM

Good hard clean block… didn’t leave his feet and didnt go helmet to helmet ….

4. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Sep 18, 2012 8:21 AM

Great attitude from Lee a tough linebacker. I thought the hit was clean. As a former football player, I have been on the giving and receiving end of similar hits.

5. poopshakes says: Sep 18, 2012 8:24 AM

Sean Lee got LIT up, no ifs ands or buts. Beautifully executed block by Tate.

6. cowboys5x says: Sep 18, 2012 8:28 AM

im a cowboys fan and i agree with sean lee, bring the game back where it once was thats what we love about football hard hits less talk.

7. shinywalrus says: Sep 18, 2012 8:29 AM

Not that we needed more evidence, but this is why Sean Lee is everything that is right with football and why Jerry Jones is everything that is wrong with football.

8. phillyphannn83 says: Sep 18, 2012 8:33 AM

That was a perfectly legal block, he hit him in the chest UNDER his arm. There was no helmet-to-helmet contact, he didn’t hit him from the side or behind. Lee was running with his head sideways focused on Russell Wilson. That’s HIS fault for not having is head on a swivel…remember that term from 5 years ago??? You couldn’t go a single week without hearing it, where’d it go? Just because a hit it violent doesn’t make it illegal. This is a MAN’S sport and the NFL needs to man-up!!

That’s why I think the concussion lawsuits are bogus. Anyone and everyone whose every played football at any level has felt big hits and KNEW there was a SIGNIFIGANT concussion risk. I do not support the way the NFL treats its retired players but the concussion lawsuits are garbage.

9. omeezyx says: Sep 18, 2012 8:33 AM

I respect you now Sean. This is football. Not soccer. Way to take it like a man

10. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Sep 18, 2012 8:38 AM

Boom.

What a classy response by Sean Lee. Lee gets it. There is a difference between good, hard, clean football – and – a dirty shot.

What Tate did was drop a nice kiss to protect his (possibly Franchise) QB.

What is dirty, and in my opinion – deserved criminal charges and a lifetime league ban – was when Packer DL Charles Martin basically ended the meaningful component of Bear QB Jim McMahon. Martin snuck up behind McMahon long after a play was whistled dead, picked up McMahon and then body-slammed him on his throwing shoulder. McMahon, who was forced to go on I.R., was never the same after that. That is dirty, and calls for punitive action.

But what Tate did is just good football. In football, some times you’re the hammer. Other times, you’re the nail. Best game ever invented by a quadrillion light years – but like I always say, football is not meant for everybody.

11. kacapaco says: Sep 18, 2012 8:42 AM

Tate did in fact used the crown of his helmet to hit the neck and head area of Lee. It sucks but Godell is going to suck 20K of his check.

12. tmac4454 says: Sep 18, 2012 8:44 AM

Sean Lee is on the wrong team. Majority of the cowgirls are whiners & sore losers. It take a real player to admit that the hit he took is all in the game. I did not hear anything about Jenny Jones complaining when his offensive players horse collared one of the Giants players to save a TD. I did see in blk and white where Opie Garrett did not have a problem with the horse collar tackle by his player. So Jenny Jones shut up and pay the bills.

13. seahawks4lyfe says: Sep 18, 2012 8:54 AM

Jerry Jones is ruining the Cowboys he’s still stuck in the Jimmy Johnson Era!

14. spacemonkey says: Sep 18, 2012 8:58 AM

Not a Vikes or Boys fan here, got no dog in the fight, but would expect him to get a fine letter this week.

The only video I can find online clearly shows him leading with the crown of his helmet, and worse is that he pushes up violently at the point of attack.

This kind of move is taught in Football 101, but that move is supposed to start at chest level, not at the face.

Is there better video available?

15. drainbameged says: Sep 18, 2012 8:59 AM

The league has shown with these replacement refs player safety isn’t their main concern. Needless to say this is a good block by the receiver, can’t ecen say it was a block in the back. The linebacker should probably keep his eyes open.

16. markdamack says: Sep 18, 2012 9:04 AM

blackqbwhiterb says:
    Sep 18, 2012 7:42 AM

————————————————–

I don’t want you to think i’m coming after you, I’m not. You make a great point about Sean Lee manning up but, it sounds like you’re trying to say that Jerry Jones would be the olny owner to do that. 31 owners would do the same exact thing. I can’t think of a single time where an owner said “No way, My Player X, should be fined for that hit!!”

17. jjb0811 says: Sep 18, 2012 9:08 AM

Typical Goodell. Offense has complete immunity, but defense not only gets flagged but fined.

Yes, big hits are part of game but it has to be on both sides of the ball. How many fines and flags went for defenseless receivers last year?

18. marzalmighty says: Sep 18, 2012 9:36 AM

The only thing that pissed me off about that play was the asinine call on Bruce Carter for shoving Wilson out of bounds.

19. sixjak says: Sep 18, 2012 10:04 AM

The NFL should fine Jerry for fielding a team of fail and dissapoint year after year.

20. bbeaman78 says: Sep 18, 2012 10:29 AM

Sucks to say it, but the cowboys got whipped physically by the Seahawks. From the hits from the Seattle secondary and the special teams, my cowboys got punches in the mouth. Do they get up or tank. Honestly my expectations are pretty low.

21. mungman69 says: Sep 18, 2012 10:33 AM

That was a good, clean, hard block. Hey Lee, the Ravens could use guys like you.

22. mazblast says: Sep 18, 2012 11:02 AM

Props to Sean lee for being a man about it. He got clocked, he admits it, IMO nothing dirty about it.

I’m waiting for Jenny to fine or cut Lee for “disloyalty”. The gall, the nerve, the unmitigated audacity, disagreeing with The Great Oz–I mean, Jones.

23. trollhammer20 says: Sep 18, 2012 11:54 AM

Posted a link to a still photo taken at the moment of impact that clearly shows the top of Tate’s helmet is several inches below the bottom of the level of Lee’s helmet, but my post was removed. Do an image search for “golden tate sean lee” and you should be able to find it.

I suppose it’s borderline as to whether or not the league will fine, but to me, Tate did everything he could to ensure the LB was not going to continue to chase down his QB. He didn’t leave his feet, and the primary point of impact was his left shoulder to Lee’s upper torso.

24. russrpm says: Sep 18, 2012 12:27 PM

I really don’t care one way or the other if he gets fined or not. What I do care about is what I care about on Sundays with the refs (replacement or otherwise); if its a fine, or penalty on one player, be consistent and call it the same way league wide. It’s the total lack on consistency that drives me nuts.

25. footballfan71 says: Sep 18, 2012 12:29 PM

kacapaco says:

====================
    Obviously you have not seen the replays, slow-motion views, or even the still photos on the web. Trollhammer20’s info above is correct, take a look. Then take a look again. In your case, maybe one more time.

He says exactly what I have been saying to others: The “helmet to helmet” contact was incidental – it came when Lee’s head whiplashed forward and his facemask struck Tate’s helmet.

Look at the pic. Lee’s chin hits the BACK of Tate’s helmet because of the whiplash effect. That said, Lee gets my respect for being a man about the game.

26. patfanken says: Sep 18, 2012 1:20 PM

If that hit is fined then as far as I’m concerned, Jones just sounded the death knell of the NFL. In another 5 years it will be more interesting to watch the Lingerie League., At least there will be some upside to the lack of contact.

27. brysong says: Sep 18, 2012 4:41 PM

I wish that there were more players like Lee.

“I’m on to the next game. I’m not worried about it. I’m more worried about how we can be better on defense, how we can improve from the mistakes we made.”

This hit has conjured up the phrase “It’s a MAN’s game” about a thousand times since Sunday. What’s lost in the argument is the fact that MEN take responsibility for their actions, even when their actions are failures.

I despise the Cowboys, but this guy I like.

28. jsrdc says: Sep 18, 2012 10:21 PM

Tate should get fine, IMO, and I believe he deserves it. I watched that block very closely and several times back and forth in slow motion, and what I saw is that Lee’s head goes back IMMEDIATELY, not down first and then back like it would have been if he was hit in the chest. Then (and this is the worst part of it all) Tate crawls around on the ground like he’s a DE after a big sack, and then points to the name on the back of his jersey to further show off.

Hitting him in the chest is one thing. Leading with the crown of the helmet and spearing somebody in the chin with a blindside hit is quite another. I don’t believe Tate intentionally laid a dirty hit, but celebrating after a hit like that on a good young player is classless, IMO.

I am not saying it was the type of hit Warren Sapp put on Clifton years ago when Clifton was nowhere near the play, and I am very thankful Lee wasn’t seriously hurt, but the hit to me wasn’t 100% clean. I believe the league will fine Tate.

Lee is a classy player, and it is unfortunate that hits like this could potentially cut short or even end his career. That is why these types of hits are banned by the league.

29. cup1981 says: Sep 19, 2012 4:31 AM

The hit’s borderline. The crown of Tate’s helmet does come up and hit the dude’s chin. Ultimately, I think the NFL will call that incidental and just tell Tate to bring his head a little lower.

Awesome block! Makes me miss Hines Ward…

30. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 19, 2012 7:13 PM

Exactly. STOP WHINING, JERRY.