Alex Smith threatened with fine if he keeps supporting Giants

553130

Alex Smith wants to root, root, root for the home team, but it’s going to be expensive.

According to Cam Inman of the San Jose Mercury News, the 49ers quarterback was threatened with a $15,000 fine from the NFL if he continues to wear a San Francisco Giants cap to postgame interviews, as he did often last year.

The league considers non-NFL items non-sponsored gear, and players can’t appear wearing it 90 minutes before or after games.

Smith said the league took back an initial fine of $15,000 in lieu of a warning, which was issued by former 49ers safety Merton Hanks, who works for the NFL now.

Asked about the fine for his loyalty to the local team, Smith suggested he’d keep going if the baseball team picked up the tab, saying: “Yeah, can you call [Giants CEO] Larry Baer for me?”

The news comes at a time when the league’s hawking “football caps” made by New Era, the same company with baseball’s hat deal.

Maybe Smith should just split the difference, and wear a New York Giants hat instead.

Photo credit: CSNBayArea.com

Permalink 60 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
60 Responses to “Alex Smith threatened with fine if he keeps supporting Giants”
  1. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: Sep 19, 2012 7:20 PM

2. maximus50 says: Sep 19, 2012 7:21 PM

New York Giants hat joke is lame.

3. beedubyatoo says: Sep 19, 2012 7:22 PM

Every time you think the NFL rules can’t get more petty, they do,

4. lionsdraftguy says: Sep 19, 2012 7:25 PM

Moron

5. hank10 says: Sep 19, 2012 7:27 PM

So, can the players fine the NFL for using non-official officials between the time the ball is kicked off until the final whistle?

6. voiceofreasonsays says: Sep 19, 2012 7:27 PM

I’ve never seen a bigger attention seeker. I guess since he’s below average on the football field, he needs to find other ways to make news.

7. nyyjetsknicks says: Sep 19, 2012 7:28 PM

Thankfully the league is all over this important issue. Can you imagine the impact on 49ers games with Smith wearing a Giants hat in post game interviews? It’s all about protecting the integrity of the league, people!

8. tigers182 says: Sep 19, 2012 7:31 PM

When did Merton Hanks become the terd in the punch bowl? The is the kind of facist garbage that pisses everyone off. If its not offending anyone, who cares?!

9. surferbum01 says: Sep 19, 2012 7:31 PM

The NFL is so lame about this and it just looks petty. The irony is that this was handed down by former 49er player Merton “chicken neck” Hanks.

I’m not sure but you’d think they’d have bigger things to worry about than a local professional player supporting another local professional team. Alex should just wait 90 minutes AND THEN do the interviews!

10. surferbum01 says: Sep 19, 2012 7:35 PM

@voiceof-treason——–”I’ve never seen a bigger attention getter…….”

You, sir, need to go back to your cage. Smith is probably one of the least attention seeking people you could ever meet.

Every passing day I’m grateful the ‘Skins get to call you theirs……………by now I’m sure they want a refund.

11. keepingitrealdumb says: Sep 19, 2012 7:36 PM

i understand the love of the oldsk00l style of defense as i grew up watching ronnie lott. and i loved that style of defense .. so i get it. i totally get it.

but nowadays .. with fantasy football being as popular as it is .. and me being a participant in many fantasy football leagues .. i do NOT need oldsk00l defenses knocking my players out for weeks at a time. that will completely screw up my team and my chances of making the playoffs.

i am still upset that dunta robinson knocked my desean jackson out a few weeks .. that severely jeopardized my season!

12. 4evrnyt says: Sep 19, 2012 7:37 PM

I’ve never seen a bigger attention seeker.
    —————————————————-
    Alex Smith is the biggest attention seeker you’ve ever seen? Hyperbole much?

13. ronaldmexico says: Sep 19, 2012 7:38 PM

The rule seems petty, especially in this case, but I suppose if it wasn’t in place players would be rocking all sorts of other branded gear in post-game pressers.

The last Niner apparel controversy was when former coach Mike Nolan wanted to wear a suit on the sideline.

14. match25 says: Sep 19, 2012 7:40 PM

voiceofreasonsays says:
    Sep 19, 2012 7:27 PM

________

Alex Smith as an attention seeker?! Dear God you have no idea what you are talking about. Dude avoids attention like the plague!

15. ryzilla5 says: Sep 19, 2012 7:41 PM

This is weird because the interview before the monday night game against the broncos…Matt Ryan was wearing a Atlanta Braves hat, yet no fine

16. letmesetyoustraight says: Sep 19, 2012 7:42 PM

Heck, he’s got a buttload of money that he never earned, so he can keep wearing the hat in post-game interviews & paying the fines for quite a while.

17. carlsbadboltfan says: Sep 19, 2012 7:46 PM

Easily the dumbest fine the NFL has come up with.

18. letsberealpeople says: Sep 19, 2012 7:47 PM

Hometeam support should absolutely get an exemption from that rule.

19. commonsense4allofus says: Sep 19, 2012 7:48 PM

How greedy can the NFL be? I guess it’s never enough money. I’m surprised these guys don’t get fined for wearing suits to the press conference. Do they have any league approved suits that they are getting paid for?

20. lionsdraftguy says: Sep 19, 2012 7:52 PM

Itll be 7 years before he understands the rule, just like it took 7 years for him to learn how to quarterback in the NFL.

21. sbdt says: Sep 19, 2012 7:53 PM

“voiceofreasonsays” needs a job. And a lady.

22. giablommi says: Sep 19, 2012 7:54 PM

Welcome to Roger Goodell’s NFL

23. superseahawk says: Sep 19, 2012 7:55 PM

Ridiculous.

24. thehighhat says: Sep 19, 2012 7:55 PM

I’ve never seen a bigger attention seeker.
    —————————————————-
    At least he’s not hawking Subway Sandwiches.

25. sixjak says: Sep 19, 2012 7:57 PM

Umm yes you have. You get to see him every time you look in the mirror.

Oh just wanted to point out here that the Skins lost, yes that’s lost to the Rams on Sunday.

And your visionary QB struggles with wearing NFL approved gear 2 weeks in a row so far. If only Justin Beiber and RG3 could morph into one, your life would be complete.

26. nickmiller63 says: Sep 19, 2012 8:02 PM

voiceofreasonsays is a troll, right? I’m slow on the uptake, but I think I figured it out.

Alex Smith is the opposite of an attention seeker. How could an attention seeker have survived the past eight years of a career like his?

27. discosucs2005 says: Sep 19, 2012 8:10 PM

I think Smith should claim it is a 49ers hat. It just says SF after all. There is no copyright or ownership of that.

28. sdbolt says: Sep 19, 2012 8:11 PM

Way to be loyal to your roots Alex Smith. Guy is from San Diego, he should be rockin a Padres hat. TRAITOR/BANDWAGON RIDER.

29. voiceofreasonsays says: Sep 19, 2012 8:16 PM

Not a troll. I just tell it like it is and I get villified for it because I dare to look at things differently and In my humble estimation, correctly…and really? “Hawking Subway Sandwiches”…you guys are envious that Robert is better at all aspects at just 22 years of age then this attention seeker Smith.

30. 49ersmang says: Sep 19, 2012 8:18 PM

Voiceofreason is an attention seeker who knows where to look for it, at the pancake social with Caveman Bob and ALL PRO LINEBACKER B.R.I.A.N O.R.A.K.P.O.
    Dude just go away brother !!!

31. opshuns says: Sep 19, 2012 8:25 PM

Make sure Alex removes the Fruit of the Loom label from his drawers.
    NFL greed is starting to drive me away. Their little DirecTV Thursday night football irks me also but, you can pay for a replay of any game. Eat my grits!

32. jamesmcv72 says: Sep 19, 2012 8:28 PM

Show of hands….How many of you would have ever dreamed that Merton Hanks would end up as the NFL’s version of that Home-Owners Association ahole who fines you for not mowing your lawn?

33. ninerdynasty says: Sep 19, 2012 8:34 PM

@Voiceofreasonsays – The biggest troll in this website talking about attention seekers? hahaha.. *facepalm!*

34. ripster65 says: Sep 19, 2012 8:37 PM

DANG! And I was thinking of getting a 49ers hat but now I’m not because Alex Smith wasn’t wearing one. Maybe I’ll get a Giants hat out of spite.

After watching the 49ers first 2 games and listening to all the experts in the media, apparently their only weakness is how they dress (a red undershirt and a baseball cap)?

35. mikea311 says: Sep 19, 2012 8:43 PM

——————

Best.Reply.Ever.

36. bobhk says: Sep 19, 2012 8:43 PM

voiceofreasonsays says:
    Sep 19, 2012 7:27 PM
    ——
    It’s hilarious coming from you….

37. citynative says: Sep 19, 2012 8:45 PM

@lionsdrafttroll

Great years joke. Answer these: How many years has it been since the Lions last beat the Niners? How many consecutive years has it been that the Lions havent won the Super Bowl?

38. jimmywho14 says: Sep 19, 2012 8:49 PM

You’ve got to be kidding me! Doesn’t the NFL have anything more important to do? Oh yeah, that official thing

39. lionsdraftguy says: Sep 19, 2012 8:49 PM

Voiceofreason is a loser.

BUT, he is correct that RGIII is probably already better than Alex Smith. Id never want Smith as my QB.

40. wtfchiefs says: Sep 19, 2012 8:51 PM

Gotta love corporate America

41. hannahduccab says: Sep 19, 2012 8:59 PM

voiceofreasonsays says:
    Sep 19, 2012 7:27 PM

Your partner probably thinks you’re below average in the sack hence the reason for your post.

42. despenc925 says: Sep 19, 2012 9:06 PM

@lionsdraftguy what was the score of the lions game last week?! what did Alex smith do to the lions last year??

43. lionsplayoffs says: Sep 19, 2012 9:15 PM

I saw Joe Maddon put on a Buccaneers helmet…what’s the big deal? Don’t they want to promote this kind of unity?

44. goldrush36 says: Sep 19, 2012 9:39 PM

Apparently there are no mirrors in mommy’s house.. huh voiceofreasonsays?

45. billsdiehard says: Sep 19, 2012 9:39 PM

Tony Romo wore a Starter hat on the player lineups on the Wednesday night game…what was that fine as it was during the game!?

46. t8ertot says: Sep 19, 2012 9:42 PM

“thereisfootballwestofjersey
    Sep 19, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT
    Roger Goodell has West Coast Envy. Always has. Fuhgetaboutit Alex. Keep ROCKING THE WEST”

I can’t take this guy seriously. 2pac and Biggie died a while ago and so did East vs West. East coast bias? Please…

47. nofunleague says: Sep 19, 2012 9:44 PM

Doesn’t this league have enough to worry about other than the type of hat someone wears before or after a game. Maybe this needs to be changed in the next player agreement. Referees that don’t know yardage for penalties, or even the two teams names, and Goofwell is concerned about a hat. Roger go crawl back under a rock. I’m sure your parents are embarrassed by your every move. I would be.

48. richndc says: Sep 19, 2012 9:46 PM

I think he should replace it with a “Goodell sucks!” hat, much nicer.

49. 84sgl says: Sep 19, 2012 9:46 PM

This is a bad rule. I love it when NFL players support their local baseball and hockey teams. With the NFL being the new American past time I bet players of other sports really appreciate the support.

My Steelers are often seen sporting Pirates and Pens gear. What’s wrong with these other leagues getting 15 seconds of support? Especially around playoff time. It isn’t like the league is strapped for cash.

50. nathanbetz91 says: Sep 19, 2012 9:47 PM

the next time you guys watch sunday night football and the colts are playing, when they go through the colts defense when the players say thier names and school they went to look at dwight freeney. hes wearing a yankees hat in his picture!! so fine him!

51. demtexasboys says: Sep 19, 2012 9:58 PM

@lionsdraftguy

For all Alex’s shortcomings, at least he hasn’t run out of the back of the endzone yet like you guys’ attempt to field something that remotely resembles a quarterback for the last decade. Back to the paper bags bro because you guys arent going anywhere with that abomination on a defense.

I bet you guys dont make the playoffs. Shake on it?

52. kirschmania says: Sep 19, 2012 11:37 PM

Reminds me of the saying: If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around, does it make a noise? If Alex Smith wears a Giants hat and fans, players, coaches, trainers, etc…don’t care, does it really matter?

53. sixjak says: Sep 20, 2012 2:15 AM

lionsdraftguy says:
    Sep 19, 2012 7:52 PM

________

And it’ll be another 7 years before you catch up with the rest of the world in realizing the sheep think about Alex Smith is out of date. Don’t look now but Alex out played your golden boy last week and last year. One thing that will never change is that Matty looks like he has down syndrome. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Just an observation. Man up and accept that 9 times out of ten SF will hand Detroit their rear ends.

54. piemasteruk says: Sep 20, 2012 3:40 AM

Out of interest, what’s the fine for turning up to the post-game press conference late enough that it is now 90 minutes after the game?

55. herminator81 says: Sep 20, 2012 4:14 AM

People use to crack jokes about Alex Smith. Call him the worst quarterback in history. But if you haven’t read the news about the San Francisco 49ers and how far they have come to becoming an outstanding team nearly entering the last Super Bowl. You got to give Alex Smith some credit for his progress. He actually made it to being the top five quarterbacks in the fantasy league. Trust me, if you have him right now you want to hold on to him as long as you can. Those of you just calling out hate about Alex Smith without looking at the current facts, you have no idea what you are talking about. Seriously, look at the facts before you ridicule the guy. I hate certain people but I at least try to make sure my facts are clear. I have always been a fan of San Francisco and I always will be.

56. 1historian says: Sep 20, 2012 7:44 AM

the dude is getting fined $15,000 for wearing a hat.

Let me repeat

The dude is getting fined $15,000 for wearing a hat.

Has anyone out there ever heard the quaint phrase ‘freedom of speech’?

57. ripster65 says: Sep 20, 2012 8:59 AM

Smith haters crack me up. In the last 4 meaningful games, Alex has beaten Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Matthew Stafford and should have beaten Eli Manning.

58. dukemarc says: Sep 20, 2012 9:43 AM

—————————–

Wouldn’t that circumvent the salary cap?

59. footballer4ever says: Sep 20, 2012 12:05 PM

Haha! With a name of “voiceofreasonsays”, there is nothing humble or reasonable you might be able to say. Aside finding a life, a lady or boyfriend, you might want to find a real reason to speak your voice.

60. herminator81 says: Sep 20, 2012 6:08 PM

lionsdraftguy says:
    Sep 19, 2012 8:49 PM
    Voiceofreason is a loser.

____________________________________

RGIII maybe better than Alex Smith statistically, but he’s on the Redskins. So far they have only won 1 game. They are at the bottom of their division. San Francisco is second in their division. I think we know who the better team is here. All thanks to players like Alex Smith.