Michael Turner apologizes for his DUI arrest

File photo of Atlanta Falcons running back Turner running for yardage against the Tennessee Titans during their NFL football game in Atlanta Reuters

Falcons running back Michael Turner apologized for his early morning DUI arrest, which came hours after he helped his team to a Monday Night Football win over the Broncos.

“I’d like to apologize to Mr. [Arthur] Blank, Thomas Dimitroff, Mike Smith and the whole Falcons organization and the fans out there for the situation that I’m in right now,” Turner said, via D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal Constitution. “It was a bad decision on my part. I can’t say too much about it in detail right now. I’m just trying to move forward from here.”

The perfunctory part of the conversation behind him, Turner said he had no good explanation for the incident, which is the Falcons’ second from a post-game celebration. Lawyer Milloy was also busted in a similar case in 2008.

“Any time that you’re in a situation like this you don’t want this to happen,” Turner said. “You try to keep a clean slate throughout your whole life like everyone else. Unfortunately, this happened and I just have to move forward.”

He’s lucky he’s able to. Turner was clocked doing 97 mph in a 65 mph zone on Interstate 85, which is dangerous if you haven’t had anything to drink.

Turner said he talked to his father and Falcons coach Mike Smith after he was taken to jail.

“Disappointment,” Turner said when asked about the tone of those conversations. “I don’t think that anybody is more disappointed than myself. I just have to man up, talk to everybody and face it.

“I’m just taking it day by day. I’m around the guys right now and they are keeping me encouraged and telling me to keep my head up and take it day by day.”

“I never really thought about it like that,” Turner said, and rightfully so. “I’m just going to go out there and play hard. Play hard for my teammates and do everything that I can to help my team win.”

He could start by calling a cab next time.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Michael Turner apologizes for his DUI arrest”
  1. daknight93 says: Sep 19, 2012 2:09 PM

just a bonehead mistake…a player of his age should no better…yep, calling a cab next time would keep him out of trouble.

2. steeltown666 says: Sep 19, 2012 2:09 PM

Going 97 in a 65mph zone on I-85 isn’t nearly as dangerous as the many idiots who go 60 in the left lane of I-85 here. The only part that got him pulled over was the fact that he did it at 5am when no one else was on the road yet. Hopefully he will call a cab next time.

3. cleverbob says: Sep 19, 2012 2:13 PM

“Turner ran 17 times for 42 yards Monday night, and was apparently (and hilariously) asked if going out for a drink was related to his slow start.”

Appropriate or not, I applaud whomever it was that asked him. Getting drunk during the season could make the difference between 1st downs and punts, TD’s and FG’s. If I was a professional athlete I wouldn’t be putting any garbage in my body that would hamper my performance and earning ability.

Then again, I have a desk job and get paid to use my brains, yet I still booze it up once in a while.

4. realitypolice says: Sep 19, 2012 2:23 PM

In my book, everybody gets one.

If we don’t see his name on the arrest meter again, then I put it down as a stupid mistake by an otherwise decent guy.

If he does it again, he loses my respect forever.

Not that he cares whether or not I respect him, just telling you where I stand.

5. maddenisfordorks says: Sep 19, 2012 2:35 PM

NFL players handbook – CH.1

Section 1:
    part 1:
    Make it rain while enjoying adult beverages.

Part 2:
    Get in car – floor it, get pulled over.

Part 3:
    Issue apology.

Part 4:
    Repeat

6. sonoco says: Sep 19, 2012 2:53 PM

I heard he tried to evade but couldn’t break away.

7. sdwat54 says: Sep 19, 2012 3:26 PM

I was his age once, and even more stupid…sounds like he gets it though. Talked to his dad and his coach first, and that’s a good sign.

Someday, if he’s smart, he’ll shudder when he remembers the feeling he had when those flashing lights popped up in his rearview.

Best to you, Mr. Turner.

8. wayne1693 says: Sep 19, 2012 3:29 PM

Virtually everyone I know who is a social drinker [not talking about problem drinkers!]…from ages 18 to 65, has had a DUI at sometime during their life. In most cases, that arrest changes future behavior for the better. So put the DUI in perspective: It is not wife-beating [Deion & Chad!]…nor drug-pushing…nor gun violence. So please step down, Soap-Boxers.

9. nookers says: Sep 19, 2012 3:33 PM

These guys make millions of dollars a year and they can’t hire a cab or get a driver?

Do you really feel sorry for him? or any of them when it happens? Not me .. stupid stupid stupid.

10. ambitoos says: Sep 19, 2012 4:04 PM

I hope that he gets suspended before the Charger game. In San Diego we know how bad he is on the field. Good luck Mike, but after the Charger game.