NFL suspends 49ers’ Clark Haggans three games for drunk driving

Cowboys tight end Phillips runs against the Cardinals outside linebacker Haggans in the fourth quarter during an NFL game in Glendale Reuters

Clark Haggans, an outside linebacker who signed with the 49ers just before the start of the regular season and hasn’t played in a game yet, won’t play for at least three more games.

The NFL suspended Haggans three games as a result of his guilty plea to extreme DUI, for driving with a blood alcohol level of higher than .15. That was the second time during his NFL career that he has been convicted of DUI.

“Earlier today the team was made aware of the NFL’s decision to suspend Clark Haggans for three games,” 49ers G.M. Trent Baalke said in a statement. “We were certainly aware that this decision was a possibility as we evaluated Clark prior to adding him to our roster. Therefore, we are prepared to move forward accordingly.”

Haggans, who played for the Steelers from 2000 to 2007 and the Cardinals from 2008 to 2011, signed with the 49ers after the preseason when San Francisco lost outside linebacker Parys Haralson to a torn triceps.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
24 Responses to “NFL suspends 49ers’ Clark Haggans three games for drunk driving”
  1. sj39 says: Sep 19, 2012 7:27 AM

If I played for that team I would drink as well.

2. vysethelegend says: Sep 19, 2012 7:36 AM

So does Turner get a suspension too?

3. hollymolley says: Sep 19, 2012 7:36 AM

Is this type of action part of the NFL move to deminstrate that they are really interested in player safety, and serious about it. It is to there best interests to do so as the storm that is brewing about liability for concussions and other injuries will be a MAJOR legal nightmare. It will have the potential to change the face of the game. Just a thought…

4. cardsfann1 says: Sep 19, 2012 7:40 AM

Why hasn’t Lynch from Seattle been suspended yet? I thought for sure he would get a game or two. Damn shame with all of these knucklehead players who all make more than enough money to pay for someone to drive them from the club to home.

5. FinFan68 says: Sep 19, 2012 7:41 AM

That should be the norm for a FIRST offense regardless of whether they plead guilty or not. If they were driving and blew over the limit (or refused to blow/give blood) it ought to be automatic. The behavior endangers others and too many times a lawyer is able to plea down to something meaningless.

6. skoobyfl says: Sep 19, 2012 7:45 AM

49ers 15-1 still, Buffalo being their only loss.

7. niners816 says: Sep 19, 2012 7:49 AM

Call a cab!! It doesn’t even matter if you’re a pro athlete, you’re endangering people’s lives when all you have to do is not drive. Is it really that hard? I don’t care if he plays for my favorite team, the NFL needs to suspend them a lot more than 3 games. Maybe then the players will figure out not to drink and drive. Embarrassing.

8. cup1981 says: Sep 19, 2012 7:49 AM

Well, going from the Pittsburgh Steelers to the Steelers Retirement Farm (AKA the Arizona Cardinals) is enough to drive any man to drink…

9. adlent says: Sep 19, 2012 7:53 AM

What’s on the docket for Michael Turner?

10. lionsdraftguy says: Sep 19, 2012 8:03 AM

Wow. Good team, but what a bunch of tools.

11. dagnon13 says: Sep 19, 2012 8:12 AM

lionsdraftguy your ignorance knows no bounds clearly.

Read the article and you will realize this hapened before he was a Niner. You’re just pissed we dominated your team.

12. lurch61 says: Sep 19, 2012 8:15 AM

lionsdraftguy
    you mean unlike the saintly duo of Suh and Fairley huh.

13. billsboy88 says: Sep 19, 2012 8:20 AM

What is an “extreme” DUI?

14. yankeemofo says: Sep 19, 2012 8:53 AM

Why is he still allowed to play? EXTREME DUI for his SECOND offense?

He should be in jail and perma-banned from the NFL>

15. tmac4454 says: Sep 19, 2012 9:39 AM

Public figure goes out and have a few drinks. Get caught breaking the law. I just do not understand. First you have to deal with the authorities, then your career gets stained. I know we make mistakes but CMON.
    Go home and bring the party to you. I can bring a couple of skanks to your pad and you make sure the booze is there. Then we do not have to worry about drinking and driving.

16. bucs13 says: Sep 19, 2012 9:46 AM

I think that Mr. Haggans should vigorously contest this suspension, and demand that GODdell turn over all the evidence that he used as a basis for making this decision. He should probably sue for defamation as well, as this action no doubt impinges on his professional reputation as a football player. Until we got to the bottom of this lawless and unConstitutional act, Mr. Haggan should be playing on the field. Playing football in the NFL is a right, and employers shouldn’t be allowed to do anything to employees if the employee says, “I didn’t do it and/or the court was wrong.”

17. apollice11 says: Sep 19, 2012 9:50 AM

So let me get this straight. Joe Haden gets 4 games for taking Adderall and Clark Haggans gets 3 games for drunk driving? Haggans could’ve threatened innocent lives or killed someone, yet, Haden gets the more harsh punishment. Un-freaking-real.

18. hawks49 says: Sep 19, 2012 9:51 AM

I don’t really make excuses for DUIs b/c they are just plain stupid… but I’m surprised he got 3 games and not just 1 game.

This guy was looking out for his daughter. I have a feeling there are plenty of people that would make that decision (right or wrong) when panicking about the life of their child.

“I was at a concert with my wife when I got a call from our babysitter that our 5-year-old daughter was having trouble breathing,” Haggans’ statement reads. “She has been on medicine and inhalers since she was born because of her underdeveloped lungs. The sitter was panicked. I had been drinking and my wife was planning on driving home from the concert. But my wife was wandering around when I got the call, and I couldn’t find her. I tried calling her within the concert, but had no luck getting a hold of her. I needed to get home to my daughter immediately. I felt that my only choice was to drive home. While driving home, I sped and ran a red light, so I was pulled over. I, along with the officers, proceeded to my house and administered the treatment and my daughter responded.”

19. lightcleric says: Sep 19, 2012 10:11 AM

Michael Turner’s punishment is continuously getting the ball when he’s 30 years old and gets like 2 yards per carry.

20. mazblast says: Sep 19, 2012 11:11 AM

hawks49,

That statement is a bunch of hooey. Is he saying his wife didn’t have her cell phone? That he couldn’t take a cab home? That he couldn’t tell the sitter to call 911 and have his child taken to the hospital, find his (presumably sober) wife, and have her drive to the hospital? Did he just ditch his wife, whom I presume is the child’s mother?

Hiding behind your child is ridiculous. Using your child’s medical condition as an excuse for irresponsible behavior is appalling.

21. jimthebuilder27 says: Sep 19, 2012 11:20 AM

Kenny Britt is only suspeneded 1 game after 8 arrests (and a drunk driving) and Braylon Edwards isn’t even punished, yet they suspend him for 3 games?? The NFL truly has no clue whay they’re doing!

22. ilovefoolsball says: Sep 19, 2012 12:47 PM

bucs13 says:
    Sep 19, 2012 9:46 AM
    _____
    While your weak attempt to compare this to the saints bounty situation is laughable it is not indeed funny. Comparing a driving offense that has the potential to kill innocent people to something that happens in an NFL locker room is atrocious. Furthermore a COURT OF LAW has heard Mr Haggans plead guilty to the charges unlike a sports league fabricating evidence, bullying testimony out of former employees, and trying to save face in a botched scapegoating campaign.

23. vcstriker16 says: Sep 19, 2012 1:55 PM

It should be noted that the offense occurred in the off-season prior to signing with the 49ers.

24. realfann says: Sep 19, 2012 2:13 PM

I don’t blame him. I would have done exactly the same.

Clearly the arresting officers felt the same way otherwise they would not have escorted him home to treat his daughter.

I don’t know if the article mentioned it but he did serve a few days in jail.

The law’s an ass and so, apparently, is Goodall.