Pollard takes no pride in knocking out so many Patriots

Bernard Pollard AP

Whenever there’s been a debilitating Patriots injury the last few years, it seems Bernard Pollard is always nearby.

As a Chief, his hit on Tom Brady yielded a torn ACL. With the Texans, he was in the area when Wes Welker suffered an ACL tear. And after joining the Ravens, his bringing down Rob Gronkowski resulted in a high ankle sprain.

But in advance of Sunday’s Ravens-Patriots game, Pollard said he takes no pride in being labeled a Patriot missile.

Anything that I’ve done, I don’t celebrate with that,” Pollard told Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network. “I don’t laugh when people come up to me and call me ‘The Brady Killer.’ I don’t laugh at that. I’m looking at a man that I respect. I respect Tom Brady with everything that I have. I know his story, I respect him, first of all, because he’s a man. I respect him because he’s a  player.

“Honestly, I don’t get excited because of that. When it’s all said and done, that man had to do the treatment, he had to do everything else to come back. Nothing is done maliciously.”

That doesn’t mean he’s worried about being the bad guy.

“Uh, they can think I’m a villain all they want to,” Pollard said. “I think the fans have to understand that we as players, we don’t come out and look to hurt anybody. That’s not our intention by any means.

“But I think fans have to understand that this is a very violent game. And at any snap of the ball, anybody can get hurt.”

Of course, there’s no guarantee Pollard’s even going to play Sunday, as the Ravens aren’t as confident as they were earlier in the week that he’ll be back from bruised ribs.

But if he’s there, the Patriots will be watching.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “Pollard takes no pride in knocking out so many Patriots”
  1. benh999 says: Sep 19, 2012 10:43 AM

Lil Wayne killed Brady’s knee.

2. rc33 says: Sep 19, 2012 10:43 AM

Nothing wrong with his hit on Gronkowski. That’s just football. Looking back at his hit on Brady, Sammy Morris should’ve done a better job keeping Pollard down after blocking him, instead of allowing him to lunge at Brady’s knee.

3. gisellichek says: Sep 19, 2012 10:46 AM

As a Patriots fan … I like this guy… he is a player … he cares … and he is a pro… Injuries are a real part of this game … if you go back and look at the play with Gronk … Pollard was the only Raven between Gronk and the end zone … he doesn’t make that play… Pats score and put the game out of reach.

4. qbofthenever says: Sep 19, 2012 10:57 AM

Spoken with class

5. severinsmith says: Sep 19, 2012 11:03 AM

I disagree. He’s changed his story every year.

He was contrite immediately after the hit on Brady, when I think he was scared about league discipline. Then a year or so later he got belligerent about it in the press, and antagonized the Pats and their fans. He had nothing really to do with the Welker injury, as I remember it, but the Gronk hit, to me, looked intentional and cheap as did the Brady hit.

I think this guy is a cheap shot artist, and I don’t like him. He reminds me of Merriweather, who I was ecstatic the Pats dumped. I hope he plays and someone lays him out hard. I look forward to him no longer being in the NFL.

6. ironmike778 says: Sep 19, 2012 11:04 AM

I’m a Pats fan. This guy Pollard is class. Lot of respect for his perspective on all of this.

7. dyims says: Sep 19, 2012 11:15 AM

benh999, you need to re-watch the play. He was blocked to the ground and then crawled forward and lunged into Brady’s knee. He wasn’t blocked into Brady.

8. unbreakable02215 says: Sep 19, 2012 11:16 AM

Yeah, I wish he was a Patriot. Dude plays hard.
    They actually tried to sign him at one point I
    believe.

9. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Sep 19, 2012 11:28 AM

As a Steeler fan, I respect Pollard’s play. Hard-nosed/take-no-prisoners.

To the Ravens’ credit, they draft very physical players. Lewis and Ogden came early on. Reed is another notable one from a number of years back.

But they’ve drafted players with the same mentality and game since. Ngata is the prime example.

In addition, the Ravens have acquired legitimate tough guys in free agency too. Pollard comes to mind. So does Leach.

They play football the way my Steelers do. Buckle the chinstrap, line up and play football.

As for Pollard’s quotes, it doesn’t get much classier than that. How can you not respect those sentiments?

10. beardinals says: Sep 19, 2012 11:33 AM

Not a Pats fan here. Pollard speaks like a true man and competitor. Maybe he should have a conversation with James Harrison.

11. phillyphannn83 says: Sep 19, 2012 11:53 AM

Maybe he should stop diving at peoples knees and they won’t label him like that. Learn how to tackle properly.

12. ez0682 says: Sep 19, 2012 12:06 PM

Phllyphan ur what an idiot is lol

13. rebel21das says: Sep 19, 2012 12:10 PM

benh999 says:
    Sep 19, 2012 10:43 AM

“Actually, Brady’s ACL was torn because Laurence Maroney blocked Pollard into him. Maroney was the third-down back instead of Kevin Faulk because Faulk was serving a one-game suspension for being caught with marijuana at a Lil Wayne concert.

Lil Wayne killed Brady’s knee.”

It was actually Sammy Morris who was blocking on the play not Maroney.

14. patriotinvasion says: Sep 19, 2012 12:13 PM

benh999 says: Sep 19, 2012 10:43 AM

Lil Wayne killed Brady’s knee.
    _______

It was Sammie Morris, not Laurence Maroney. Look it up. But you’re right on everything else.

15. sj39 says: Sep 19, 2012 12:26 PM

I just watched it (it’s been a while) he was blocked into Brady’s knee so Brady Bunchers quit whining.

16. patriots87 says: Sep 19, 2012 12:28 PM

you can’t call yourself a pats fan and like this guy. can’t do it. you can respect him as a player. but i refuse to feel anything but dislike for him. he has caused me to much heartache.

17. trevor123698 says: Sep 19, 2012 2:45 PM

Im now a fan of Bernard Pollard

18. nathanielflor says: Sep 19, 2012 3:52 PM

@benh999 it was actually Sammy Morris who hopped on Pollard’s back when he hit Brady

19. patsfiend says: Sep 19, 2012 6:23 PM

severinsmith says:
    Sep 19, 2012 11:03 AM
    I disagree. He’s changed his story every year.

————

This is how I remember it, too. Not too impressed with his recent “hard working” and “humble” statements. In my eyes, he lunged at the knee (not watching it again) AND he swung his leg around in a weird kung-fu move to tackle Gronk, too.

I totally forgot about Welker, though. That’s a heck of a coincidence.

Keep him away from Brady, that’s all I can say. Keep him away.

20. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 19, 2012 7:15 PM

Patriots fans wish he were banned for life.

21. ravenator says: Sep 19, 2012 9:13 PM

Pollard is so Raven football. Soak it up folks, like it or not, he’s making a difference Sunday night.

22. steelersownyou says: Sep 20, 2012 7:22 AM

This guy is a below average at best. He would be cut if he was on the steelers. No room for soft on our viscious defense!

23. lovefootball4life says: Sep 20, 2012 11:21 AM

steelersownyou says: Sep 20, 2012 7:22 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unfortunately statistics are against you on this argument. Pollard is currently outplaying both Polamalu and Clark and this “viscious” I mean vicious defense is ranked behind the likes of Seattle, San Diego, and Philly on team defense.

24. randallflagg52 says: Sep 20, 2012 4:53 PM

One of my favorite Ravens, I’m so glad Houston was dumb enough to let him go. He’s been great since day 1 for us here in Baltimore.