Smith chews out Moore for saying Cutler shouldn’t chew out Webb

Indianapolis Colts v Chicago Bears Getty Images

In case you’re wondering about the hierarchy of the Bears locker room, head coach Lovie Smith just established it.

First, quarterback Jay Cutler bumped and swore at one of his offensive linemen on national television, showing him up on the field in the middle of a four-interception, seven-sack game.

Then, cornerback D.J. Moore took issue with Cutler’s behavior, suggesting he shouldn’t have singled out left tackle J’Marcus Webb in such a public manner, saying: “I don’t think you can act like that.”

So naturally, Smith’s response was swift and sure.

He wasn’t happy at all,’’ Moore told the Rick Morrissey of the Chicago Sun-Times. “He said, ‘Don’t say it in this setting’ or ‘don’t say it here’’ or “don’t say it there.’ He was just telling me the right way to do stuff.’’

Ah, the right way to do stuff. That must have been quite a talk.

I’m sure the part about not airing out your teammates in public was very helpful to Moore, and everyone else in the locker room.

Except that one guy, of course.

What Smith has done, beyond a shadow of a doubt, is enable his quarterback to act in whatever way he pleases, as long as they’re both employed there. Because right or wrong, Cutler’s far more important to Smith’s continued employment as a head coach than Moore is, so it’s Cutler’s back that he’ll get.

If there’s a split in the locker room over Cutler’s behavior, Smith just announced to the lot of them whose side he’s on.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
37 Responses to “Smith chews out Moore for saying Cutler shouldn’t chew out Webb”
  1. dukemarc says: Sep 19, 2012 4:32 PM

Gotta love all the drama coming from Chi-town!

2. packfntk says: Sep 19, 2012 4:33 PM

My 2 year old cries less than Jay Cutler.

3. brenenostler says: Sep 19, 2012 4:34 PM

Smith chewed out Moore for stepping up and being a leader when the QB wasn’t being one?

Got it.

4. bsizemore68 says: Sep 19, 2012 4:35 PM

You can pay the players a lot of money, however you can’t pay them enough to produce smarts, some point in time they will learn when to open there trap, and when its best to think before they open there mouth. Bill

5. Commander Buffalo says: Sep 19, 2012 4:35 PM

How do you know Smith hasn’t had a similar conversation with Cutler? Perhaps Lovie had some things to say about Cutler’s behavior, and the two of them aren’t talking to the press about it.

Or maybe you’re right. Your bias, in any case, is pretty clear.

6. rpiotr01 says: Sep 19, 2012 4:36 PM

How can a coach who consistently gets such discipline and performance out of his defense year after year be so clueless in so many other ways?

7. yousuxxors says: Sep 19, 2012 4:37 PM

omg its football that wasnt a big deal at all. rodgers did the same thing but no one cares about him because hes 10 times better. most qbs would start yelling with a line playing like that. webb is a professional and an adult, i think hell survive.

8. larryboodry says: Sep 19, 2012 4:49 PM

And Lovie was right…How is it wrong for Cutler to chew out Webb during the game, as many of you so fervently believe, but it was okay for Moore to call out his QB in the press? Cutler and Webb have talked and put the incident behind them as the team prepares to host the Rams. It’s past the time for everyone else to do the same.

9. oranjellojones says: Sep 19, 2012 4:55 PM

Oh gimme a break. Moore was unhappy about Cutler making waves in public so what does he do? He gripes about it in public and does it with a mic in front of his face without the benefit of the excuse that it was ‘heat of the moment” on the field of battle. Cutler went too far with the bump but Moore’s move trumps it with hypocrisy and the benefit of a cool head and the ability to give it forethought. Plus like others have said, QB yell at linemen ALL the time when they screw up. The only thing that made this any different was the bump.

10. sabatimus says: Sep 19, 2012 4:56 PM

Looks like a he said, she said thing to me.

11. eventhorizon04 says: Sep 19, 2012 4:56 PM

I’ve watched football for decades.

NEVER have I seen this much attention and lecturing about an isolated incident in which one annoyed football player (Cutler) yelled at another football player (Webb) as their team was losing.

These are competitive men playing professional sports. There will be yelling and signs of frustration when they lose. I’ve seen QBs, good and bad and in between, yell at offensive linemen, and I’ve seen offensive linemen yell back. I have NOT seen day after day after day of articles about it.

If men yelling at each other upsets you because they’re hurting each others’ feelings, go watch tennis.

12. blacknole08 says: Sep 19, 2012 4:57 PM

I agree with what D.J. Moore said. But to go public about his thoughts only prolongs the situation and opens Cutler up to be scrutinized even more, thus becoming an even bigger distraction to the team.

But Moore should have kept his thoughts in the locker room.

13. pdennis33 says: Sep 19, 2012 4:59 PM

The only drama around Chicago is in the media, lol. I agree the situation could have been handled better by everyone, but jeez, can you twist things around more to be more dramatic than you already have?

Here’s the simple version of what happened:
    Tempers flared in a sport that requires a temper to play it, and things were said and done that normally wouldn’t have been said or done. The players talked amongst themselves and to coaches, and things were settled internally. Cutler spoke about what he did, so he spoke about himself, hence why Lovie was ok with him talking about it. Moore spoke negatively about a teammate to the media, hence why Lovie wasn’t happy with that. These are things that happen all the time, yet for some reason they are being magnified into something extremely dramatic.

If the Bears were getting beat up by their arch rivals and tempers were NOT flaring, I’d be a lot more worried :)

14. lostsoul8888 says: Sep 19, 2012 5:16 PM

I don’t think there’s a split or that there’ll ever be a split in this locker room. This is just a bad article with one big opinion from a bad sports journalist.

15. spacincasen says: Sep 19, 2012 5:32 PM

How come this website is the only place I keep hearing about this so-called “locker room split” in Chicago? If you can’t see the difference between calling out a teammate face-to-face on the sideline versus calling out a teammate in front of a microphone to the press… you are a complete idiot.

16. rootgamble says: Sep 19, 2012 5:38 PM

It’s one thing to yell at an under performing teammate in the heat of the moment mid-football game. It’s another thing to discuss it with the media after the fact. Hell, I would have loved to see J. Webb turn right around and yell right back. Show some passion and intensity instead of standing there smiling like Shrek. I’m just GUESSING here (guessing, yes, I’m guessing) but I’d put money on it that Cutler wasn’t thinking “oh yeah, the cameras are all on me, I better go over and yell at Webb on national tv, that’ll show him where he stands on this team.” Not to mention he said on his show (which you were so quick to quote earlier when it benefited the Cutler bash) that he talked with the higher ups on the team, including Lovie, and each member of the offensive line individually.

And do we really think Lovie is capable of chewing anybody out?

Give me a break.

17. hyzers says: Sep 19, 2012 5:39 PM

Can’t blame DJ Moore too much. He’ll take all the attention he can possibly get so people know who his name. Kind of like when Stafford tossed him like a rag doll and he got mad.

18. bullcharger says: Sep 19, 2012 5:39 PM

“as long as they’re both employed there. Because right or wrong, Cutler’s far more important to Smith’s continued employment as a head coach than Moore is, so it’s Cutler’s back that he’ll get.”

——————-

Smith should change his tune. At a time when the NFL QB has never had a bigger chance to shine, Jay Cutler has been about average at best. He’s not getting them anywhere. Smith better do something before both he and Cutler are run out of town. Even Rexy got them to the Super Bowl. Cutler is not the guy.

19. larryboodry says: Sep 19, 2012 5:40 PM

eventhorizon04 says: Sep 19, 2012 4:56 PM

I’ve watched football for decades.

———————————————-
    Best comment on the whole Cutler/Webb incident yet…Wish I could ‘thumbs up’ more than once!

20. amaf21 says: Sep 19, 2012 5:55 PM

Dysfunctional much? These guys are dead in the water.

21. imjinbrdgr says: Sep 19, 2012 5:59 PM

DA BEARS!!! ya gotta love the DRAMA. If this keeps up we’ll being skits on SNL.

22. tommytd says: Sep 19, 2012 6:04 PM

Lovie SmithIS the problem! No discipline, no leadership, no balls!

23. conormacleod says: Sep 19, 2012 6:07 PM

Well, SOMEBODY better get in Webbs face and get him fired up before he gets his QB killed out there! Ask anybody from Chicago how last season went after Cutler went down with an injury.

24. billsfan1 says: Sep 19, 2012 6:11 PM

It’s unbelievable the amount of slack jay cutler gets from Chicagoins . Sad really. Lovie smith is a terrible coach . Shoulda been let go a while ago

25. irishgary says: Sep 19, 2012 6:19 PM

Hope they don’t fire Lovie or get rid of Cutler, 2 easy wins for the Packers evey year.

26. Bearfan54 says: Sep 19, 2012 6:24 PM

I said in an earlier post that Lovie wouldn’t put up with DJ Moore talking to the media about Cutler. In fact I wouldnt be surprised if D.J Moore all of a sudden is gone by next year.

27. playin2x says: Sep 19, 2012 6:39 PM

Dysfunctional and it’s only week 3 !!

28. grahzue says: Sep 19, 2012 7:47 PM

spacincasen — I agree completely with you. My original post seems to have been deleted (oops, meant no offense with it) but its getting tiring seeing two or three headlines a day about this stuff… and that’s just with the latest Cutler “incident”. Though this site does seem to spend an inordinate amount of time on Cutler and his perceived shortcomings as a whole.
    (then again, look at the top comments stories. Seems like its working)

There’s plenty of other minor issues that get blown up way beyond what is actually warranted here as well. Its just annoying to have to sift through more fluff stuff like that to find the great stories that got me coming to this site to begin with.

29. larryboodry says: Sep 19, 2012 8:42 PM

hyzers says: Sep 19, 2012 5:39 PM

—————————————-
    Yeah, like the play last November when Stafford threw a pick to Tim Jennings, Moore threw a clean block on Stafford, and then Stafford tackled Moore by the facemask out of frustration? Stafford tossed 4 picks in that game, 2 of which were returned all the way, and the Bears won 37-13…Was it ‘kind of’ like that?

You left out so many facts on that play, I wouldn’t want anyone to be mislead.

30. baconholybacon says: Sep 19, 2012 10:35 PM

Anyone surprised by any of this needs their head examined. As a Broncos fan, I was glad to get rid of him. He comes up small in big games and he always throws interceptions. It’s what he does. A rocket arm only gets you so far. Remember his comment about how he had a better arm than Elway? Maybe he does. But between the ears? Not even remotely close.

Quit comparing what he did to what Rogers has done. Rodgers has a ring; Rodgers is one of the best QBs right now. Rodgers had EARNED the right. Cutler has won nothing. He’s done nothing. He did nothing in Denver other than alienate a fan base that desperately wanted to love him. He’s doing the same to you, Chicago. It’s only a matter of time.

Mark it down.

31. wnstonchill says: Sep 19, 2012 11:08 PM

Lovie Smith did the right thing as a head coach. I agree with D.J. Moore’s assessment of Cutler, but, at the same time, he should’ve kept his comments out of the media. Personally, it makes me question Lovie Smith’s leadership with this team when you have a player talking to the media about something that is an internal issue. There’s a reason that turbulence is taking place with the Bears right now and it’s happening on Lovie Smith’s watch! Yes, I agree that Lovie needed to address D.J. Moore, but I also think that Phil Emery should be addressing Lovie Smith for not running a tighter ship……..

32. qcbearsfan says: Sep 20, 2012 8:34 AM

Why are people obsessing over this? To me, it’s simple. Cutler called out his lineman for playing like crap, and did it to his face. While Moore calls out his teammate behind a mic to the press with Cutler nowhere to be found.

It’s pretty simple, to me at least, who was in the wrong. And Lovie got it right.

33. chi01town says: Sep 20, 2012 8:46 AM

I am a DIE HARD CHICAGO BEARS FAN!!!
    The Bears looked for years for a real NFL QB an now they got one an dont know what to do with him so let me help.
    1. Protect Cutler on and off the field .. Buy him a real O-line an put ONLY FRENDLY MEDIA IN CHICAGO in front of the room an let your QB answer them
    2.ANYBODY ON THE TEAM GET ON CAMRA an talk against Cutler is Gone THIS MEANS YOU URLACHER an the rest of the DJ Moores.
    3. Make the whole organization moore about Cutler. He needs a life sized photo in the loop an down town….. I know but They should be bigger an in more places

34. CKL says: Sep 20, 2012 2:29 PM

It was pointed out elsewhere that perhaps the reason Moore felt comfortable commenting about Cutler is that they are both alums of Vanderbilt (though their playing careers didn’t overlap IIRC) so there’s a connection there. I agree that he shouldn’t have commented to the press though I think he is right. And he surely shouldn’t have relayed what Smith told him. The fact he’s not a top player on the D yet commented this way may suggest that some other players feel similarly though they won’t comment publicly. Bottom line is that we all have people at our jobs we can’t stand and we have to work with them. This is no different.

35. chi01town says: Sep 20, 2012 8:25 PM

I cant belive that DJ Moore is still is Chicago. This is why Lovie needs to go. Lovie is the head coach an he didnt make an example of DJ Moore? Cutler is his Franchise QB an he let DJ… A second string DB insult his starting QB

36. larryboodry says: Sep 20, 2012 10:10 PM

chi01town says: Sep 20, 2012 8:25 PM

———————————————
    I usually agree with your posts, and I ALWAYS love your enthusiam for Da Bears…And, like you, I am a big Cutler fan who thinks the media and hater fans with an agenda have it in for him. Now, having said that, I also believe you are being too harsh on both Moore and Urlacher, who are both important members of the team. Moore is entitled to his opinion, but was wrong saying it to a reporter, which Lovie addressed…As L’ve mentioned on another post, it’s time to move on and focus on the Rams.

Go Bears!

PS – Back in the Ditka era, defensive players and offensive players didn’t always like each other (Hampton & McMahon, for example) but the team won anyway.

37. larryboodry says: Sep 20, 2012 10:18 PM

lostsoul8888 says: Sep 19, 2012 5:16 PM

——————————————
    Who’d you pay to keep that from being deleted?