Baas, Boothe fined for post-kneeldown conduct

Dallas Cowboys v New York Giants Getty Images

For the second week in a row, someone who has complained about dirty play by an opponent has found himself fined.

Last week, Texans defensive end Antonio Smith was forced to fork over $21,000 for kicking Dolphins guard Richie Incognito in the noggin.  Smith had claimed that Incognito was doing something unnatural to Smith’s leg at the time.  (Incognito, who said he was merely trying to keep Smith from recovering a fumble, wasn’t fined.)

This week, two Giants offensive linemen have been fined for their actions after the Bucs treated the kneeldown at the end of the game between the two teams as, shockingly, an actual football play.

According to the league office, center David Baas and guard Kevin Boothe each were fined $7,875.  As we explained on Wednesday, Baas bashed his forearm into the head of Bucs linebacker Quincy Black, and Boothe rolled defensive end Adrian Clayborn over, WWE-style, and dropped a knee into his chest.

No fines were issued to the Buccaneers for treating the final play of the football game as, shockingly, an actual football play.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Baas, Boothe fined for post-kneeldown conduct”
  1. lunt101 says: Sep 21, 2012 4:31 PM

Wait. Was it an actual football play? #JokeDoubleDown

2. kattykathy says: Sep 21, 2012 4:33 PM

Whats up with all of the $7,875 fines?
    Geez, why can’t the league make it $7,500 or $8,000?

I swear, Goodell and the league are becoming more obnoxious and arrogant with every passing day

3. mazblast says: Sep 21, 2012 4:33 PM

For some reason, Goodell is much later with his fines for Giants players than he is for players for other teams. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that he’s a Giants fan?

4. onebucplace says: Sep 21, 2012 4:37 PM

But but but the game was over, the Giants had a 7 point lead with the ball in Bucs territory, if the Bucs had any class they wouldn’t have even been on the field for that last play since nothing strange has ever happened in the last moments of a Giants game. And what about Eli — I mean not a single Bucs player touched him but the mental abuse of stumbling over because your own lineman hit you, this type of thing can cause could lead to years of therapy for himself, the coaches and the fanbase.

5. jmagnet28 says: Sep 21, 2012 4:37 PM

Has there ever been a play that had no bearing on the game and no injuries resulting from it that has been more talked about and dissected than this freaking kneel down??

People! It’s over! Can we move on?

Talk about the Music City Miracle, talk about Vinatieri’s FG in a driving snowstorm. But please stop talking about this!!!

6. ibreathefootball says: Sep 21, 2012 4:37 PM

7. EJ says: Sep 21, 2012 4:38 PM

I don’t understand how the NFL comes up with the dollar amount for these fines.

8. phillyphan93 says: Sep 21, 2012 4:40 PM

Think this sums up the leagues view on the topic….

9. thekiller678 says: Sep 21, 2012 4:44 PM

mazblast says: Sep 21, 2012 4:33 PM

—————————————————————-

What are you even talking about?

10. shirsc2 says: Sep 21, 2012 4:53 PM

when does Goodell fine himself for all the mistakes he’s making as commissioner?

11. irishstout says: Sep 21, 2012 5:03 PM

Honestly, if we’re going to get rid of the unwritten gentlemen’s agreements in the NFL, that’s fine, let’s do away with more than one and kill two birds with one stone.

I say if you are going to hit hard and try to get at my QB on a kneel-down, I’m just never going to kneel regardless of the situation.

Up 28 in the middle of the 4th quarter? My foot’s staying on the gas, let’s run up the score. 2 min warning at midfield up by two scores? Pour it on, let’s embarrass them. 1st and goal at the 2, 55 seconds left, up by a TD? I’m sure not going to kneel and give you a shot at the QB, let’s see if we can pile on some more points and rub in the victory just a little more.

This cuts both ways. I think if Schiano wants to do this, that’s fine. But then he shouldn’t be surprised if a powerhouse team decides to just run up the score on him rather than taking a knee.

12. coughlinsredcheeks says: Sep 21, 2012 5:05 PM

Okay, fines administrated now let’s move on and never speak of this again. Quite frankly I’m tired of listening to “Kneel-gate”

13. sabatimus says: Sep 21, 2012 5:18 PM

Just call Melky Cabrera and the MLBPA–they could get those pesky rules and fines to go away snap.

14. sabatimus says: Sep 21, 2012 5:19 PM

“ibreathefootball says:
    Sep 21, 2012 4:37 PM
    How much do hockey players get fined when they knock out the other guys’ teeth in a fight?”

What do hockey rules have to do with football rules?

15. sasattack says: Sep 21, 2012 5:21 PM

Spoken from guy that clearly never played a down of organized football in his life. Maybe because he couldn’t fit a helmet over that coif of his.

16. 2ndaryinsanity says: Sep 21, 2012 5:35 PM

Buc’s players should probably get used to retaliation.

17. skittlesareyum says: Sep 21, 2012 6:01 PM

irishstout says:
    Sep 21, 2012 5:03 PM

I noticed you left out another scenario, which coincidentally is the one from the Giants-Bucs game: up less than 8, not in the red zone, a few seconds left. Do you:

A. Run the ball, hoping a fumble is not forced.
    B. Pass, hoping there isn’t a pick-six.
    C. Kneeldown with almost no chance of a fumble, while having your lineman block AS NORMAL.

Hmm, choices…

18. mydogwantstofightvick says: Sep 21, 2012 6:12 PM

Onebucplace the toughest guy with a keyboard. Up by 21 still lost, ur the type who gets knocked out and yells like a tough guy when your running away. First time ever I’ll ever be cheering for the cowboys!

19. andrewproughcfe says: Sep 21, 2012 6:19 PM

Got to love it when 350 pound guys wearing full-body pads are fined for doing things to other 350 pound guys wearing fully-body pads that couldn’t possibly hurt either of them.

20. irishstout says: Sep 21, 2012 6:22 PM

I’d run, and tell my RB that his main objective is to protect the ball, and that includes taking a dive if necessary. And I’d tell my o-line to punish the D-line, and maybe if someone gets chop blocked I don’t care so much.

But I do not risk a chance that my center gets pushed back into my QB and potentially injures him, under any circumstances. So no, I do not kneel in that situation, and anyone who would (in fact, in my view all the “yeah, play to the final whistle and try to get to the QB” folks) simply have no grasp of either football or statistical probabilities.

21. footballfan292 says: Sep 21, 2012 6:34 PM

Well…there you go, Giants fans. The league says you and your coach is full of crap. What the Bucs did was perfectly legal and within the rules.

Just another manufactured controversy by a whiny New York team with a sense of entitlement.

A kneel-down is a FOOTBALL PLAY. It is within regulation. The game is not over until that clock reads ALL zeros. The defense has every right to charge for the ball.

22. electionconfidential says: Sep 21, 2012 6:50 PM

I think that this is a productive conversation. In the end Schiano and Coughlin appear to have an honest difference of opinion and other people weighing in disagree as well. This is going to shake things up a bit. What has come to the fore is the reality that the CUSTOM of kneeling down does not trump the REALITY / LEGALITY of playing every play to its fullest until the clock runs out.

Sometimes these things need to be aired out and in this case it’s been worthwhile, not because it matters what happened in that one game, but because it transforms thinking going forward.

23. omen316 says: Sep 21, 2012 7:05 PM

You do know that the consensus of nfl players and coaches agree that it was a scumbag play? No the game wasn’t over and yes the o-line was asleep at the wheel, they should treat every down as a play as long as the there is time on the clock and be prepared for the other team. But I’d have to agree with tuna the way coughlin handled the situation is why we’re having this discussion. If he’d have just shook his hand and left it alone this would be a non issue. I just can’t wait to see the bucs have a game wrapped up and kneel the ball just to have other teams use this tactic against them. Hey it’s all part of the game. Right?

24. fluffy19 says: Sep 21, 2012 7:16 PM

@Irishstout,
    Can you please get a head coaching job for my favorite team’s arch rivals? That way we’ll never be out of a one score game with no timeouts.

Do me a favor and google “miracle at the meadowlands” then come teach us some more about football and statistical probabilities. The Giants kneel down had nothing to do with mercy and everything to do with sealing victory.

Also, just because it’s a kneel down, doesn’t mean the o-line needs to take the play off. I call it poor coaching to not have your o-line ready to at least fire off the line a bit to protect their qb. It’s not as if the Bucs are the first NFL team to try to disrupt the snap on a kneel down play. Gentleman’s agreement my ass. In a multi-score game, sure. But if there’s a chance for a W, you take it.

I’ve spent my entire life playing/coaching/watching football and I couldn’t think of anything more bizarrely wrong and illogical than to say ‘Playing hard till the last whistle blows (in a game that’s still in the balance) isn’t proper football etiquette’.

25. japmen says: Sep 21, 2012 8:20 PM

Who gives a shyt if they are fined? Who cares if it’s 7500 or 7817.21? That sounds like the stupidest, most petty argument ever. These a million dollar players getting fined a pittance of their pay and you are worried about fines? Wow!q

26. bkostela says: Sep 21, 2012 8:27 PM

can we put this nonsense to rest now? giants are 2-1 now after stealing one from the bucs and absolutely stomping carolina. looking forward to seeing how the rest of the NFC east fares this weekend

27. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Sep 21, 2012 8:30 PM

Leave it to pencil neck Coughlin to cry about the Bucs trying to get to Manning in a kneel down while his own players are going WWE on the Bucs defenders.

28. thegame2love says: Sep 21, 2012 10:04 PM

Bucs had 59 other minutes to prove how tuff they were, the game is over at the kneel down.

29. cap1378 says: Sep 21, 2012 10:31 PM

To all the idiots out there:

Just wait till this happens to ur team. Next time we’ll be up up by 21 and shove another td down your throat. Then you’ll be complaining that we ran the score up. Can’t wait to play Tampa bay Fucs again!

30. yousuxxors says: Sep 23, 2012 5:11 AM

miracle at the meadowlands happened because the giants didnt kneel down