“Bizarre scene” in Jets locker room as Scott threatens reporter

New York Jets v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

A “bizarre scene” is apparently unfolding in the Jets open locker room, as linebacker Bart Scott apparently threatened to punch a reporter.

According to the Twitter feed of Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post, the incident began when Dan Leberfeld of JetsConfidential.com took a cell phone photo of Scott, who then suggested Leberfeld “get a life.”

Words were exchanged, and according to Hubbuch, Jets PR man Bruce Speight stepped between the two, the “only thing that seemed to prevent fisticuffs.”

Scott apparently threatened to punch Leberfeld, who replied “Yeah, and I’ll sue you!”

Scott said: “I don’t care!

Earlier this offseason, Scott declared a “media mutiny,” by which he meant boycott.

If the Jets are trying to dispel the notion of a circus, they have a funny way of going about it.

Permalink 65 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
65 Responses to ““Bizarre scene” in Jets locker room as Scott threatens reporter”
  1. logicalthinkersays says: Sep 21, 2012 1:51 PM

Steroids…can’t wait!!!

2. fitzmagic1212 says: Sep 21, 2012 1:52 PM

ugh it would have been so funny if he hit the guy..wed have a great storyline until sunday

3. dgoens3109 says: Sep 21, 2012 1:54 PM

Bart Scott is a chump.

4. mjbulls45 says: Sep 21, 2012 1:56 PM

if ur gonna step to bart scott

be ready to throw down

dont counter with the old “ill sue” line ,

5. mjfan4life23 says: Sep 21, 2012 1:56 PM

Can’t wait!

6. beecee71 says: Sep 21, 2012 1:58 PM

Just Bart being Bart. I hope he has been saving his money because his effective playing days ended 2 years ago.

7. theonlyjagsfan says: Sep 21, 2012 2:00 PM

Ol Rex has lost the locker room. Fired by next year.

8. k0mbucha says: Sep 21, 2012 2:02 PM

Can’t stand the Jets but good for Scott, why would media guy be in the players locker room taking photos? Scott should have shoved the camera down the guys throat.

9. bennyandthemets says: Sep 21, 2012 2:04 PM

“Yeah, and i’ll sue you!”

“Can’t Wait!”

10. rickastleydancemoves says: Sep 21, 2012 2:06 PM

He got a pic of Bart in a Jets banana hammock.

11. tdubdizzle says: Sep 21, 2012 2:07 PM

Typical reporter, pisses the guy off then threatens to sue.

12. hankhill says: Sep 21, 2012 2:08 PM

I’ll probably be in the minority, but I’m siding with Bart Scott on this one. I can’t think of a good reason this guy could have for taking cellphone pictures of athletes he should be covering. At the very least it’s unprofessional and I’d be pissed, too. It also seems this guy might have been intentionally trying to escalate the situation to get a bigger story or wind up the story himself.

13. johnnyjagfan says: Sep 21, 2012 2:09 PM

I’d get sick of guys following me around with a camera phone, too. All the guy’s going to do is stick it on his dorky website. Jets shouldn’t let the guy in the locker room.

14. charliework says: Sep 21, 2012 2:14 PM

I read the headline totally expecting the article to be some inexplicable freak out from Bart Scott. But a reporter snaps a picture of him with his phone, in the locker room, like he’s some kind of zoo animal? I’m no Jets fan, but just because a member of the press has the ability to do this, it doesn’t mean he should.

15. justintuckrule says: Sep 21, 2012 2:14 PM

Who’d want to take a cell phone picture of Bart Scott anyway?

16. eyeh8goodell says: Sep 21, 2012 2:14 PM

“yeah and I’ll sue”.

What a coward and pathetic excuse for a man.

17. bjorntorock says: Sep 21, 2012 2:20 PM

I remember when people were saying this guy was probaly the more talented middle linebacker in Baltimore….what a joke that was!

18. scoops1 says: Sep 21, 2012 2:24 PM

Their defense can’t stop a nose bleed but they sure can stop a reporter from taking pics

19. boblavoie says: Sep 21, 2012 2:30 PM

get your tickets for the CIRCUS in miami

20. neemdaddy13 says: Sep 21, 2012 2:31 PM

If his tackling is any indicator, Bart might be starting something he can’t finish. Guy is all mouth, no skill, got his contract riding Ray Lewis’ coat tails and couldn’t start on any other team in the NFL without the Circus master coaching a team.

21. nemysys23 says: Sep 21, 2012 2:32 PM

The New York media is pathetic. Leberfeld is lucky he didn’t get his face broken.

22. ampats says: Sep 21, 2012 2:35 PM

Richard Todd knew how to deal with reporters.

23. amanistumor says: Sep 21, 2012 2:35 PM

Media, male or female, should not be allowed in the lockers rooms period!

They have media rooms or can wait out in the halls to speak or interview players & staff.

If sexy Rexy has control he’d lock the doors on them for the rest of the season. The media has done the Jets no good at all this season.

24. cowboycjn says: Sep 21, 2012 2:38 PM

Just as several others took Scott’s side, I do think he was right. I mean come on- pictures in the locker room – is this guy a perv or what? Then the threat of “I’ll sue” would have warranted giving him a face full of knuckles for sure. What a wimppy dude.

25. fightnamish says: Sep 21, 2012 2:38 PM

so much for Rexy saying the Jets are not being a 3 ring circus. guess he was telling the truth that the Jets are gonna win the super bowl this year and they are the beat team in NY

26. dogman9 says: Sep 21, 2012 2:42 PM

I just hope that this reporter has a striking resemblance to Tannehill.

27. EJ says: Sep 21, 2012 2:44 PM

Bart Scott is a loser.

28. geniusfan says: Sep 21, 2012 2:44 PM

Wow so the coward said “Yeah and I’ll sue you” what kind of man is that?

Man the media is full of spineless guys just like this. I really wish Bart Scott broke his nose, he deserves it.

29. 49erstim says: Sep 21, 2012 2:51 PM

Cue of the circus music and somebody pull Mr Scott’s tiny car around front. Thanks.

The dude probably shouldn’t have taken the pic, but Scott did NOT have to blow up. It takes 2!

30. igotgamenj says: Sep 21, 2012 2:53 PM

The Jets tried to unload him this offseason no team wanted this bum. This without a doubt will be his last with the Jets.

31. raidernation210 says: Sep 21, 2012 2:54 PM

geniusfan says:
    Sep 21, 2012 2:44 PM
    Wow so the coward said “Yeah and I’ll sue you” what kind of man is that?

———————————————

The real coward is threatening somebody who you are clearly more superior than. It takes a real man to threaten a reporter. I wish Bart did break his nose and than get arressted for assult and than get sued and suspened and fined from the league.

32. pooflingingmonkey says: Sep 21, 2012 2:55 PM

eyeh8goodell says:
    Sep 21, 2012 2:14 PM
    “yeah and I’ll sue”.

What a coward and pathetic excuse for a man.

*******************

Who’s worse, the one who threatens violence, or the one who threatens retaliation?

33. macbull says: Sep 21, 2012 2:56 PM

What kind of “perv” is this reporter (Dan Leberfeld)…taking cell phone pictures of players in the locker room?

If I were a Jets player, I wouldn’t like it…never know where that picture might turn up if the reporter happens to be some sicko.

34. riverhorsey says: Sep 21, 2012 2:59 PM

Jets meltdown has begun.

35. ninerhatersgetready4ring6 says: Sep 21, 2012 3:00 PM

Once this team goes 1-4 with losses to Miami, SF and Houston, this team implodes and the media will be calling for Tebow to start The team finishes the season at 9-7 barely missing the playoffs. Rex Ryan gets fired and Tebow finally gets his wish and gets shipped to Jacksonville.

You heard it head first……….

36. rushmatic says: Sep 21, 2012 3:00 PM

I absolutely love these stories.

37. jetstizzi85 says: Sep 21, 2012 3:07 PM

What happened to this guy? As a Jets fan, I am disappointed in the way he handles himself. The guy came in as a leader of the D but now he is a joke….dump em

38. bullcharger says: Sep 21, 2012 3:11 PM

Scott is so self important. He reminds me of Joey Porter. Once he’s gone no one will remember how he played, but only that he was a jerk. “Can’t wait” until he’s out of the league.

39. cereal blogger says: Sep 21, 2012 3:12 PM

And yes, this instigating “reporter” should be kicked out of the locker room for good….great points above…

40. philyeagles5 says: Sep 21, 2012 3:21 PM

i remember having this exact conversation when i was 10

41. pftcensorssuck says: Sep 21, 2012 3:30 PM

Don’t know the particulars of the case, and don’t care much for Bart Scott, but why is a reporter taking cell phone photos in a locker room????

42. gonickgo82 says: Sep 21, 2012 3:31 PM

Y’all know that if wasn’t for reporters none you you would have any way of knowing what was going on with the Jets, right? Good or bad, it’s the media that brings the NFL to you.

43. nesuperfan says: Sep 21, 2012 3:31 PM

The “I’ll sue” was a little lame since he would be much better off with, “and you’ll go to prison”. I agree with the other posters, who said that it is kind of pathetic for a big, professional athlete to physically threaten a writer physically.
    That said, they either allow camera, and pictures to be taken in the locker room, or they don’t. If they do, then the writer was right, if not, the writer was wrong for snapping a shot. Considering all the locker room shot I have seen over the years, I suspect that cameras are allowed.

44. randolph32 says: Sep 21, 2012 3:37 PM

DId anyone take their shoes and socks off?

45. jackblackshairyback says: Sep 21, 2012 3:49 PM

According to Hubbuch, Lederfeld has as history of trying to provoke Scott. Sounds like a vendetta to me. And yes, some reporters carry vendettas against certain players.

46. r8rsfan says: Sep 21, 2012 3:50 PM

Seems to me that most of these reporters are the kids who had their underwear run up the flagpole by the football players. Couldn’t make the team and still hold a grudge.

47. kingpel says: Sep 21, 2012 3:51 PM

Funny. I used to be very entertained by Bart Scott, but now I just shrug off these outbursts. Why do I only hear about Bart Scott when he is saying something assinine? Hey Bart! How about coming out and having a good game this week against Miami? I was starting to forget you were even on the team.

48. billybatty says: Sep 21, 2012 4:02 PM

Bart should at least buy Dan a new pair of pants, I’m sure aforementioned pants were soiled during the incident.

49. psousa1 says: Sep 21, 2012 4:02 PM

Can’t blame Scott. Little creepy to have a grown man take a cell phone picture of you.

50. drexelvol says: Sep 21, 2012 4:07 PM

Yeah, you really shouldn’t be taking pictures in a locker room. “Jetsconfidential.com” is hardly a media outlet and that why shouldn’t have been allowed in the locker room in the first place.

Can anyone with a hack website get press credentials now?

51. rjkilla says: Sep 21, 2012 4:10 PM

if a guy eggs on a millionaire to the point of violence just so he can sue. that should be brought before the court and that lowlife should get nothing

52. bleedgreen11 says: Sep 21, 2012 4:11 PM

Bart Scott’s Mansion was on a recent Tanked episode. My first thought of his ridiculously large home and equally ridiculous koi ponds was that I wonder when the bank is going to foreclose.

53. lumpyf says: Sep 21, 2012 4:14 PM

lol prevent fisticuffs? All the fists would be coming from one side.

54. donterrelli says: Sep 21, 2012 4:18 PM

What a loser. The players are in the locker room after practicing and trying to shower and change, and some reporter whips out his cellphone to take pics?

55. sixjak says: Sep 21, 2012 4:21 PM

If Bart would have been able to throw him a beating and I were the judge I’d throw the lawsuit out after I threw Lebernan a beating myself.
    Good thing I’m not a judge.

What a creeper.

56. Keyser Söze says: Sep 21, 2012 4:28 PM

Leberfeld needs to be kicked of the air at SIRIUS for this incident. ANY reporter that threatens to sue doesn’t deserve to be in the locker room.

57. fuzzynuts55 says: Sep 21, 2012 4:28 PM

Reporters have to much access. They need to stay out of locker room. Dan Leberfeld is known for provoking players. Why would he use his cell phone for pics? Especially after Bart was drying off?? Gezzzz!

58. mogogo1 says: Sep 21, 2012 4:31 PM

The reporter may have been asking for trouble, but the cell phone pics aren’t an uncommon practice. Notice there was other media on hand to report on this incident, so it wasn’t like the guy was sneaking around like a perv or anything. And looking at the jetsconfidential website, they post video and photos of player interviews in the locker room.

59. ptownstripes says: Sep 21, 2012 5:00 PM

I hate the Jets, and Bart Scott is one of my most hated Jets, but I am on his side here. Picture not withstanding, don’t engage in a potential fight if you’re not ready to fight, and please don’t include “I’ll sue.” Sick of people in America suing and running to the cops when they provoke fights and then get smashed. Some are saying that Bart shouldn’t threaten a reporter who he knows he can crush. Well, I am sure that Bart Scott could crush me, but if I got into a conflict with him and believed in my stance, we would just have to fight and he would just have to crush me; no law suit.

60. exibitsman says: Sep 21, 2012 5:22 PM

Time for tannibaums to dump this jerk bart scotts hes more trouble then he is worth.

61. situsavaisprier says: Sep 21, 2012 5:54 PM

I’ve had it passed my head about that “I’ll sue” bs. Give me a break already. Too many cowards suing and claiming bs, and they win. How about that moron that caught the huge snow ball from Shaun Ellis and was raising it up in the air like he won something. Lo and behold he tries to sue and claim all sorts of trauma (physical, mental, emotional, hand, using had to….).

Now this little chicken twurp brings that up. I’m sure he would’ve pulled that emotional trauma card and claim that whenever he enters a public restroom he cringes. Give me a break. This guy should lose his job for that. That is unprofessional.

62. mrguygadbois says: Sep 21, 2012 6:49 PM

Leberfeld was just sending some pics to the ol’ gunslinger’s phone- why did Scott get so upset?

63. nofaceangler718 says: Sep 21, 2012 7:24 PM

If I was Bart I wouldn’t want to talk to the media either. The only difference making play he has made in the past two years was when he kicked Revis in the head. Bart was amusing when he could play. Now he misses tackles and needs to shut up.

64. jr507 says: Sep 21, 2012 7:57 PM

I love the folks who credit the media for being the reason we have sports coverage. When’s the last time anyone read a football article and came away amazed at the literary “skill” of the journalist? we could replace many of these self-important d-bags with third graders and get the same info. the TEAMS provide unprecedented access and spoonfeed these pilot fish. The truth is that Chad Pennington hit the nail on the head when he let the NY media know they should feel privileged for their jobs… but we all saw how the sharks frenzied on that one.

65. covercorner says: Sep 21, 2012 8:07 PM

Are the press allowed to take pics in the lockeroom without permission? Maybe Bart Scott was not dressed?