Carriker agrees with RG3 on Rams

Adam Carriker AP

Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III says the Rams are dirty.  The Rams (specifically running back Steven Jackson) say that Griffin is not in Waco anymore.

But Redskins defensive end Adam Carriker, who suffered a torn quad tendon early in Sunday’s loss to the Rams, agrees with Griffin’s belief that there’s something dirty in St. Louis.

“You know, I played two plays, but from what I saw I would completely agree,” Carriker told our pals LaVar Arrington and Chad Dukes of 106.7 The Fan in D.C. on Thursday, via the Washington Post.  “I don’t know, but it looked like they’re coached to play that way.  I don’t know if that’s the truth, but that’s just what it looked like.  I mean, I saw [London Fletcher] on the ground, the O-lineman jumps on him.

“You know, there were guys on the sideline talking about ‘the guy was twisting my ankle under the pile,’ or ‘this guy was talking about I’m gonna take your knees out after a play.’  Some guys said it was the dirtiest game they’d ever played in.  And I’d never seen anything quite like it, just because it looked like they could explode at any second.”

Carriker thinks it’s a reality of the replacement officials.

“You have to approach it like that with these new refs, just because you can tell that they’re not the regular refs,” Carriker said. “The way I would handle it if I was able to suit up this Sunday, I would try to dominate them in between the play.

“And then if they did something after the play, I would do exactly what Fletch did after that guy jumped on him.  Fletch got up, stared at him, got right in his face.  Did not push him, did not shove him, but he let him know, that’s not gonna happen. And you can’t throw a flag for that. That’s exactly how I would handle it.”

Carriker’s belief that the Rams are “coached to play that way” raises some interesting questions.  During his time as head coach of the Titans, Jeff Fisher had plenty of players with a reputation for being chippy — as does his former defensive coordinator’s Lions team.

Moreover, someone who is very familiar with the Saints defense under coordinator Gregg Williams recently remarked that the Rams defense has Gregg Williams’ fingerprints all over it, presumably via his son, Blake.  So even though there’s surely no bounty or pay-for-performance program in St. Louis, the comments from Carriker should make folks wonder whether there’s an institutional approach to getting under the skin of opposing players by going after them, after the whistle.

Which makes me even more convinced that Cortnoris will be doing their best to cause Brandon Marshall to blow a gasket on Sunday at Soldier Field.

Permalink 55 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
55 Responses to “Carriker agrees with RG3 on Rams”
  1. redskinpotatoes says: Sep 21, 2012 11:32 AM

Most objective folks I’ve chatted with about the game agree with RG3.

2. sixjak says: Sep 21, 2012 11:34 AM

We’ll see where this goes….

3. bobonmycob says: Sep 21, 2012 11:36 AM

You mean the redskins DE? Wow you guys said he played for the Rams get it together.

And wow… thats news… its so weird that a player on the same team would agree…. I mean I am in shock…. Wow a player agreeing with their quarterback/team leader… thats different…

4. voiceandreason says: Sep 21, 2012 11:37 AM

“You know, I played two plays,”……Just an attempt by some NOBODY to get some press time. The redskins are like a bad disease! You play them and the people on you team that can identify with the the most, the benchwarmers, catch the crybaby disease….redskins will be swept by the NFC EAST and once again miss the playoffs! No surprise there though!

5. We'reFineThere says: Sep 21, 2012 11:38 AM

Can we retire the word chippy yet? How many more times do I have it hear it this week?

6. shlomotruehovic says: Sep 21, 2012 11:38 AM

Football is a physical sport, but there is a big difference between trying to hurt someone and trying injury them. The Rams were definitely crossing that line last week.

7. bleedburgandyandgold says: Sep 21, 2012 11:39 AM

Every time I read that Cortnoris I crack up lol

8. gainedm says: Sep 21, 2012 11:39 AM

I don’t remember players being this whiney before. This stuff has always happened and has absolutely nothing to do with the replacement officials.

9. schmitty2 says: Sep 21, 2012 11:40 AM

Geez, get over it..you lost the game!! I’m not going to say the Rams didnt have a couple of shots that should have drew flags (hit on Fletcher and Davis) but the flag for late hit on RGIII on the sidelines was BS. Point being-the refs let the game get out of control and the Ram’s came away with a W

10. iced107 says: Sep 21, 2012 11:41 AM

More whining from the Redskins because they didn’t win their game. The game was a bit chippy – but to act like The Rams were the only ones at fault and hitting after the play is ignorant and false.

But go ahead and keep on Crying RG3 – you’re only exposing yourself to more harassment from future defenses knowing they can get in your head.

BTW Mike sando (NFC West blogger) reviewed the tape and didn’t see any “Dirty” hits… And the hit by the Janoris Jenkins btw wasn’t dirty – it was completely legal. No launching, didn’t lead with his helmet, receiver had already taken atleast 2 steps.

11. hugeredskinsfan says: Sep 21, 2012 11:41 AM

I wish RG3 would have never said anything… The media seems to be blowing this out of proportion (like usual)

12. kylehealy says: Sep 21, 2012 11:41 AM

Not a fan of either team, but the rams looked classless in that game

13. daysend564 says: Sep 21, 2012 11:41 AM

Every team that loses pulls the “need new refs” card.

14. tltho10 says: Sep 21, 2012 11:43 AM

Hard to believe 1st round bust Carriker has a problem with his old team. What a bunch of whiners. A QB that can only run is appalled at getting tackled. Pathetic.

15. coltsluckdynasty says: Sep 21, 2012 11:44 AM

I’m already starting to see the exact comparisons to Cam and RGIII, they both like to ride on the excuse train. We didn’t get beat, we beat ourselves, I have played 2 nfl games, and the rams are dirty, because I know what nfl football is about. I think it’s hilarious that bob thinks this game is going to be so easy, he hasn’t even faced anyone in hi own division yet. Think things are easy, wait until you play a really good defense.. Stop crying bob, while you look for excuses, and are worried about “dirty” teams, luck continues to stay out of the spotlight, and let his game do the talking. It’s not even gonna be close, Luck will be the most superior QB in the league, while bob is going to start being compared to leaf, as who was the biggest second overall bust! All hail LUCK

16. jmsincla says: Sep 21, 2012 11:44 AM

Shut up rook…oh what’s that? You mean Carriker isn’t a rookie but a seasoned Vet. Well…

Anyone that saw that game knows that the Rams played as if they had bounties out on certain players.

17. pottymouth777 says: Sep 21, 2012 11:44 AM

STL got in WAS’s heads last Sunday and I give them credit for taking advantage of the loose officiating.

It was obvious and the refs let them get away with it.

Do I blame them? No.

18. rooneyruleblues says: Sep 21, 2012 11:45 AM

Shawn Merriman is a turd, but no doubt Jeff Fisher put a bounty on him the year he blew out his knee. Jeff Fisher is the common denominator.

19. thejabronisayz says: Sep 21, 2012 11:47 AM

The Rams also traded Carriker away because he was one of their many first round busts.

I would probably be more surprised if he didn’t agree with his quarterback – but when a team trades you away and then beats your team, does anyone really expect him to say “RGIII is wrong, the Rams aren’t dirty”?

20. gofuccyourselfflorio says: Sep 21, 2012 11:48 AM

Shocking! A guy on RG3′s team agrees with RG3?

21. rjg427 says: Sep 21, 2012 11:49 AM

Ive always found it funny that Jeff Fisher sits on the competition committee , and every team he has coached is known for being dirty..case in point he ran and got the diretiest back on his team –Courtland Finnegan..
    he should be thrown off that committee..

22. stl2la4life says: Sep 21, 2012 11:51 AM

It’s football the redskins need to quit crying the game has been played the same way since it started . I say if they dont like it go play basketball where all contact is a foul .

23. kattykathy says: Sep 21, 2012 11:52 AM

Most people also thought the Titans were dirty when Fisher was coach.
    I don’t like whiners, but maybe there is some truth to it. These kids today are too soft. If they played in the day with my hottie Romanowski, they would get run out of the league,

24. deathtoromo says: Sep 21, 2012 11:53 AM

Here’s the kicker, Fisher is on the competition comittee. As a skins fan, I was pissed that Shanahan was hugging and smiling with his buddy Fisher after the game when he saw what everyone else did from the Rams. Gotta make the players feel like he’s got their back huh….

25. dikshuttle says: Sep 21, 2012 11:54 AM

In order to be swept by the NFC East AGAIN, you have to be swept once.

Count 2 wins vs. the Gints last year Voice&Trolldom, u?

Aand Carriker has been playing this game for a while. He’s a starter & only out ’cause he’s injured. So that’s why the ‘reason’ is replaced by trolldom there.

All that being said – I didn’t realize there was even a DEBATE about how dirty that game was. Thought it was a given, esp. seeing how Monday nite turned out.

26. mjbulls45 says: Sep 21, 2012 11:56 AM

now thats a DANG football coach ,

thats how u play the game

just win

anything it takes,

Jeff Fisher is a beast,

hes got the Rams believing just in 2 games…

27. alphaq2 says: Sep 21, 2012 11:56 AM

One of the dirtiest games I have ever seen. How an offensive lineman can launch himself like a lawn dart at a downed players back well after the whistle has blown, and not get a penalty is amazing. Or Griffin slides and three Rams dive and deliver forearms to the head while he’s on the ground and not get penalties. It happened the entire game.

I wonder if coaches are going to get to a point with the Rams where they tell there fifth WR to retailiate (Andre Johnson style) against Finnagan in order to have them both ejected. That guy is the deffinition of dirty. If the Rams continue to play that way, it will be a league wide understanding that when you play the Rams you try to injure them every possible chance you get. That type of play will come back to bite them.

28. deck104 says: Sep 21, 2012 11:56 AM

Interesting when you consider that Jeff Fischer’s football career was cut short by his knee being taken out (by Bill Cower)

29. romosmicrodongs says: Sep 21, 2012 11:57 AM

Amen. that game was disgusting, and if you didn’t watch the whole game (highlights don’t count) you should shut your mouth. it was a disgusting performance from bounty scheme Jr.

30. cosmoman11 says: Sep 21, 2012 11:57 AM

Sour grapes by Carriker. He couldn’t make it in St Louis which tells you alot about him.

31. jr4real says: Sep 21, 2012 11:57 AM

It’s the coach. Did it in Tennessee. Ever heard of Albert Haynesworth?”

32. Patskrieg dot com says: Sep 21, 2012 11:58 AM

Put Jeff Fisher in charge of a football team and scumbag things are going to happen.

33. unbreakable02215 says: Sep 21, 2012 11:59 AM

This isn’t news. This is Jeff Fisher. This comes from Buddy Ryan. This is what he taught in
    Houston/Tennessee. I watched him laugh on the
    sidelines when one of his wideouts took out
    Rodney Harrison’s knee. I thought Bruschi was
    gonna kill Fisher.

34. captfoxboro says: Sep 21, 2012 12:00 PM

Fisher changes teams but the accusations remain ?

Where there’s smoke …

35. zoellner25 says: Sep 21, 2012 12:02 PM

I would have to agree to an extent. Jeff Fisher-coached teams have always had this rap. And another disciple of his, Jim Schwartz, coaches his team the same way. There’s something to this. I’m just glad I’m not a Rams fan so I don’t have to watch them.

36. zachari14 says: Sep 21, 2012 12:02 PM

Sounds like a team that’s not very focused on the only game that matters… The next one.

37. savocabol1 says: Sep 21, 2012 12:09 PM

Funny, you never see winners calling out the losing team for playing dirty….stay classy DC

38. peytonmanningsneck says: Sep 21, 2012 12:13 PM

The only thing dirty was Carriker’s shorts after he tore that tendon. Listening to all these people whine about dirty play gets old!

39. lrt79 says: Sep 21, 2012 12:16 PM

Cortland Finnegan is on this team. I don’t understand how there are any questions about whether they encourage dirty play when he is one of their marquee players.

40. starchybunker says: Sep 21, 2012 12:17 PM

no surprise this follows Fisher from TN to StLou…he fools many in the media with the smug “classy” image that he works so hard to cultivate, but the dirty play is a tenet of his coaching…

41. damon089 says: Sep 21, 2012 12:18 PM

It’s cool. Babin and Cole will end RG3′s season anyway

42. amaf21 says: Sep 21, 2012 12:22 PM

This is why the Rams will never be winners – completely classless organization.

43. chilomane says: Sep 21, 2012 12:26 PM

They won, stop crying move on.

44. pepsilvia says: Sep 21, 2012 12:30 PM

I really think that most of your comments against the Skins are just spiteful ” i hate the skins so anything they do must be wrong” comments. if you look at the game everything theyve said it true. There was even video of it, one being that after a play was over and whistle was blown Finnegan grabbed someones ankle on camera twisted it and yanked it before throwing it down and walking away. Do your research before you come on here spouting BS.

45. The Prophet says: Sep 21, 2012 12:31 PM

Whethere there’s extra money on the line or not, Williams’ defense always plays dirty, bottom line.

46. unbreakable02215 says: Sep 21, 2012 12:36 PM

Everyone knows this. Look at the responses
    above from fans across the league. This is not
    earth-shattering. This is what Fisher teaches.

47. mrgroovesd says: Sep 21, 2012 12:47 PM

You have to remember who the coach is…Jeff Fisher who was the coach of the Titans. Other teams were saying the same thing about the Titans when he was the coach there. Coincidence? You make the call.

48. stlrams39 says: Sep 21, 2012 12:48 PM

Rams are suddenly a classless organization after one game accused of being dirty?
    What have the Rams done in the past to become this classless organization?

49. hendawg21 says: Sep 21, 2012 12:51 PM

To a man I don’t believe there is one NFL or football player in general who doesn’t appreciate a hard fought physical game, and anyone who’s played also knows this…and I believe what RGIII was saying hey it’s football its suppose to be violent physical game, however, his point was you draw the line when teams/players start using dirty tactics and that makes a big difference. For those who think it’s whining you must not have played the game, because when everyone including the announcers, ESPN, NFL Network etc., say the same thing it’s not whining it’s a fact. The officials lost control the inmates were running the asylum…if they’d flagged and maybe tossed a player or two I bet it would have ceased.

50. hendawg21 says: Sep 21, 2012 12:58 PM

stlrams39 says:
    Sep 21, 2012 12:48 PM
    What have the Rams done in the past to become this classless organization?

I don’t think people are saying the organization as a whole just the COACH and players…and lets look at common denominators…Jeff Fisher, Greg Williams and Jim Schwartz have all worked/coached together…and we all saw how last year Detroit was and is a dirty playing team see SUH etc., so there is a connection and reason to believe…

51. xerocc says: Sep 21, 2012 1:24 PM

“You know, I played two plays,” is as far as you need to read. How can a guy sitting on the sidelines hurt have an objective opinion

52. bduncanscott says: Sep 21, 2012 1:26 PM

There’s A HUGE difference between being coached to play tough and aggressive and to play DIRTY, the RAMS are definitely playing DIRTY and it should be looked into. If G Williams is having ay influence via his son or however it violates his suspension and NO CONTACT agreement

53. bradshawlives says: Sep 21, 2012 1:32 PM

Doesn’t Jeff Fisher only have 6 winning seasons in his long head coaching career?

54. rams1579 says: Sep 21, 2012 1:41 PM

josh morgan gets death threats on twiiter, but the rams are classless…got it.

55. kingpel says: Sep 21, 2012 4:19 PM

Something tells me if the Redskins played Mike Vick the exact same way, the DC area would have a parade.