Jerod Mayo picks up $21,000 fine for hit on Early Doucet

Kevin Kolb, Jerod Mayo AP

Last year, Pats linebacker Jerod Mayo found himself fined $25,000 for hitting former Colts quarterback Dan Orlovsky in the head/neck area when he was defenseless.  Last week, Mayo hit Cardinals receiver Early Doucet in the head/neck area when he was defenseless.

And Mayo has been fined $21,000.

So says the league office, which makes fine information available from the prior week on Friday afternoons.

Also fined from the Patriots was safety Steve Gregory, who drew a $7,875 penalty for a late hit on Cardinals tight end Todd Heap.

Stay tuned for more fine information.  And get ready to make the perfunctory “it’s not football!” complaints.  Which also still complaining about the Bucs treating the final play of last Sunday’s game like it’s football.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
18 Responses to “Jerod Mayo picks up $21,000 fine for hit on Early Doucet”
  1. jimnaizeeum says: Sep 21, 2012 4:14 PM

Was it an early hit?

2. iluvanejos says: Sep 21, 2012 4:18 PM

This is getting ridiculous… Just heard Mason Foster got fined 21K too for his hit on Hixson! So sad to see what has become of the NFL now days.

3. mazblast says: Sep 21, 2012 4:19 PM

I didn’t see the hit, but in general my feeling is that these fines for hits have gotten out of control.

4. jazzaman12 says: Sep 21, 2012 4:20 PM

Jesus, that hit by Gregory was barely anything. The Mayo hit, I agree was against a defenceless receiver and worthy of a fine, but I didn’t realise they were fining guys for hitting someone just as he’s going out of bounds. Calling it roughing, fine. But fining him? Seemed soft.

5. homelanddefense says: Sep 21, 2012 4:25 PM

I actually thought the Gregory hit was far worse, it was well out of bounds. MAyo, from what I recall, used his sholder to hit a guy that was running directly at him. MAYBE he was defenseless, but what was Mayo supposed to do, step out of the way and let him run free?

6. jtchernak says: Sep 21, 2012 4:29 PM

Maybe the Gregory hit but no way the mayo hit it was shoulder no intention to hit slicer in the helmet

7. ibreathefootball says: Sep 21, 2012 4:38 PM

Before you know it, Goodell will have baseball being more physical than football.

8. minnyfan4life says: Sep 21, 2012 4:57 PM

Pro Football Talk should put up a weekly meter for how much the NFL has fined players. I would be quite interested in that total.

9. Stiller43 says: Sep 21, 2012 5:03 PM

Whatever happened to being flagged for a hit that was wrong and that was it? The good ole days…

10. lgw91s says: Sep 21, 2012 5:22 PM

Was at that game. Remember that Mayo hit, which drew quite a few oooh’s, and aww’s from the crowd. Perhaps that is what Goodell is trying to eliminate from the game.

11. 1phd says: Sep 21, 2012 5:35 PM

Next time he or any other NFL player wants to earn a fine, stop and think, instead of throwing my money away like that, I could buy my man PhD a new car. Just leave a msg here and I’ll let you know what I’m in the market for.

12. death1to2hipsters3 says: Sep 21, 2012 5:36 PM

Last Sunday te buccaneers were clearly going after Eli manning. It was tom coughlins fault for not noticing or maybe even the giants offensive line, whoevers fault it was they’re on the giants squad and should be ashamed, I loved that play.

13. pftwstbshmc says: Sep 21, 2012 6:26 PM

Are you f-ing kidding me? That hit by Mayo was just a good solid clean hit, shoulder to chest, textbook. It is part of the physical aspect of the game.

So what does Goodell want these guys to do?

Next thing you know he will have one side dressing in pink tu-tu’s and the other side with pink skirts so you will know which side is which and then they will dance for four quarters, flip a coin to decide a winner and call it a game.

I’m about to offiically give up on football if CLEAN hits are no longer allowed. This is beyond ridiculous!

14. Patskrieg dot com says: Sep 21, 2012 6:45 PM

I’m struggling to think of a $21,000 worthy hit by Mayo during that game, but if it’s the one I’m thinking of he avoided the head and laid his shoulder on a ballcarrier without leaving his feet. What else do you want from the guy?

The Gregory hit was way worse, and way more unnecessary. I don’t get the math on this at all.

15. noreasterforlife says: Sep 21, 2012 6:58 PM

Just the NFL and it’s owners finding more ways to get all their money back in their pocket from the players.

16. raz75reb says: Sep 21, 2012 7:53 PM

This is a BS fine. Completely avoid the head/neck. If you have an issue with the fines, blame the concussion lawsuits. They’re trying to prove their concern for player safety.

Fine money goes to charity btw.

17. northerntanned says: Sep 22, 2012 4:54 AM

Gregory’s hit was made out of bounds and could have been avoided. When it happened,everyone around me was saying he would be fined…and he was.
    I watched the Mayo hit again on replay and it was clean away from the neck and head with no launching off his feet. It’s the NFL where most hit are violent, and some are more than others. Bad fine, but that’s what you get in goodell’s NFL.

18. scalfor3 says: Sep 22, 2012 9:49 AM

that hit was on a big third down play. mayo gave him a good lick but the receiver did a good job and held on to the ball and got the first down (i think the cards got a field goal out of the drive). so, since the hit itself was perfectly legal (shoulder to chest, no launching) the nfl is basically saying mayo shouldn’t have made a play on the ball at all and should have conceded a first down in a tight game…