Joe Vitt to visit wounded soliders during suspension

New Orleans Saints v Tennessee Titans Getty Images

Joe Vitt can’t coach, but he is going to try to help make some people better.

The suspended Saints interim coach is leaving Monday for Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, where he’s going to work with wounded veterans.

“If I can’t be around my players, maybe I can be around these ‘wounded warriors,’ and help them with their rehab,” Vitt said, via Mike Triplett of the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “I’m extremely fired up about this. I’m going to leave my cell phone at home, I’m going to check into Walter Reed Hospital, and I’m going to stay as long as they want me.

“I’m fired up about that opportunity to help these guys. And I hope at the end of the day I’m of some use to them.”

Vitt hasn’t been off an NFL sideline in the fall since he started working for the Baltimore Colts in 1979, and wants to work with the veterans however he can. He can’t return to the Saints until after their Oct. 21 game at Tampa Bay. He has some plans about talking about game-planning and helping with rehab, but mostly he’s planning on showing up and helping as needed.

“I think it’s going to take me three or four days to really get the lay of the land, see what I can do to help. Then once I get into the groove, I may stay up there ’til the better part of the suspension is over,” Vitt said. “I’m in. Our players know what that means. If you’re in, you’re in. I’m not just going to dip my toe in the water. But I’m nervous as hell. I don’t know what to expect.”

It’s hard to find many positives out of the Saints suspensions, but credit to Vitt for finding one.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Joe Vitt to visit wounded soliders during suspension”
  1. kattykathy says: Sep 21, 2012 4:29 PM

Saints coaches are all class.
    Unlike the Belichiks, Schianos, and Jim Harbaughs of the league.

2. blacknole08 says: Sep 21, 2012 4:29 PM

I have a renewed respect for Vitt for doing this. Always support the troops!

3. thekiller678 says: Sep 21, 2012 4:38 PM

PR move

4. ahs2 says: Sep 21, 2012 5:06 PM

I’m cynical with these people we put on pedestals but I believe him. As a disabled veteran, I can say that Jim Vitt is in for one hell of a rewarding experience and will walk away changed at least in some small way; I’m thrilled and thankful he’s going to spend his time this way.

5. franktherat96 says: Sep 21, 2012 6:04 PM

thekiller678 says:
    Sep 21, 2012 4:38 PM
    PR move

___________________

Seriously, does it really matter. Not that you would know, but the Saints as an organization have always done things in the community to help out. I have been following this team since 1991. they are always visiting soldiers, visiting kids in the hospital, helping to build homes for needy families, etc. They have done this for years before Katrina, Bounty Gate etc. These players and coaches actually do work, unlike some players that show up for when the cameras are on, then leave.

My guess is there will be more remarks like yours to follow attached to this article and my guess is also that the majority of the people making these remarks haven’t done anything like this before. Haven’t lifted a finger to help someone in need. I have helped with one of the projects myself before one of the super bowls in new orleans. I have personally gone on Thanksgiving/Christmas to the shelters and help serve food.

Bottom line, think before you type.

6. markbul says: Sep 21, 2012 6:47 PM

If you want to get good publicity to clean up your image, go visit our Wounded Warriors. And before you go, tell the media, to make sure they get the word out to the intended audience. Fraud.

There’s something in the Bible about doing good when no one is watching, and not announcing your good works.

Here you go: Matthew 6:1

“Be careful not to do your ‘acts of righteousness’ before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.”

7. La Milicia Negra says: Sep 22, 2012 8:58 AM