Ryan Mathews: I feel right where I left off

Ryan Mathews AP

The expectation is that Chargers running back Ryan Mathews will make his 2012 debut against the Falcons this weekend.

The Chargers haven’t confirmed that yet, but there’s nothing left for Mathews to do on the practice field after he’s made it through contact unscathed. It’s time for him to start playing in games and helping the San Diego offense, something that the running back confirmed in comments after another full practice on Thursday. It’s been six weeks since he broke his clavicle and Mathews said that he feels like he’s back to where he was before the injury.

“I’ve been keeping in shape and keeping on my stuff so that when it was time to go, I wouldn’t be behind,” Mathews said via Michael Gehlken of the San Diego Union-Tribune. “I feel right where I left off. Just still getting the plays and just getting the speed down still, but it’s slowed down. It’s really like I never left, but you still have to get the timing down.”

The only way to check off those final boxes will be to play in actual games because there’s no way to simulate that experience on the practice field. Atlanta, which has allowed 270 rushing yards in the first two weeks, should provide a good transition back to action for Mathews.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
7 Responses to “Ryan Mathews: I feel right where I left off”
  1. broncsfan72 says: Sep 21, 2012 8:40 AM

yeah Ryan, you were never that good.

2. xpensivewinos says: Sep 21, 2012 9:04 AM

Where he left off was injury prone.

3. lrjets says: Sep 21, 2012 9:13 AM

The jury is still out for Peyton. Pray he makes it as a Bronco, or you’ll be needing his monies to pay high draft picks.

4. joetoronto says: Sep 21, 2012 10:11 AM

“Ryan Mathews: I feel right where I left off”

He’s always been as soft as a baby’s behind.

5. chargersdiehard says: Sep 21, 2012 10:36 AM

This guy had more carries in college than most backs get in their entire career. He is averaging almost 5 yards a carry and had a great year last season even after the lockout. Keep hating on him but he is the real deal and no more injury prone than any other back. Almost every team has a hurt running back, it’s the position in football where u take a beating constantly. Mathews will prove all you haters wrong and the Bolts are 2-0 on their way to 3-0. How many “experts” picked Denver or KC to win this division?

6. chargrz says: Sep 21, 2012 3:21 PM

Mathews never plays a full game. How many times have you seen him on the sidelines in the 4th qtr? Too many!He checks himself out every game nearly. He is a Wuss!

7. dougydougdoug says: Sep 22, 2012 11:52 AM

In only his second year, and in only 14-games, the Bull Dog was a top ten RB in 2011, with over 1,500 all-purpose yards, and a trip to the Pro Bowl.

So, whatever your opinion of the guy, it isn’t based on facts. Because the facts indicate that he was a premiere player last season.

I don’t think anyone is claiming that he is the second coming of LT or Adrien Peterson. But is he an important game changer for San Diego. Arguably, yes.