Fred Jackson has “a chance” to return next Sunday

Fred Jackson AP

There’s nothing like third-year tailback averaging more than 10 yards per carry to get a veteran tailback to heal quickly.

Bills coach Chan Gailey tells the team’s official website that running back Fred Jackson, who suffered a knee injury Week One against the Jets, could be back by next Sunday, when the Bills face the Patriots.

I guess I’m shocked,” Gailey said. ”When I saw it happen it happened right in front of me.  When I heard the prognosis, you’re mentally in that five to six week range.  I was nice to say three or four, but I was mentally thinking five or six.  To see where he is right now I’ve got to give a lot of credit to him and the work he’s done and to our training staff for the work they’ve done getting him back. It looks like he’s got a chance for the New England game and for sure the next game.”

The player feels the same way.

“New England is the goal,” Jackson said.  “But I’ve got to get cleared by a bunch of people to do that. We’ve all been targeting four weeks from when I was injured, but hopefully it’s not that long.  Hopefully I can get out there ASAP.”

Jackson may want to add an “F” in there, especially if his understudy, C.J. Spiller, continues to “F” up opposing defenses.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
16 Responses to “Fred Jackson has “a chance” to return next Sunday”
  1. skoobyfl says: Sep 22, 2012 10:00 PM

Add 2 TD to the Bills’ final score.

2. micker716 says: Sep 22, 2012 10:15 PM

Two elite RB’s is a nice problem to have – especially with a mediocre QB.

3. cletusvandam says: Sep 22, 2012 10:37 PM

If the Bills coaching staff takes 1 single touch away from someone performing as well as Spiller is right now they are all idiots.

4. randallflagg52 says: Sep 22, 2012 10:44 PM

So you’re saying there’s a chance!

5. gaykegayden says: Sep 22, 2012 10:56 PM

Cue the comments from some dude expressing anger that he has Spiller on his fantasy team no one cares about. He also is 32, collects unemployment, and lives with his parents.

6. billsboy88 says: Sep 22, 2012 11:28 PM

That’s one tough dude

7. preseasonchamps08 says: Sep 22, 2012 11:33 PM

Haha gaykegayden. He IS on my fantasy team, I don’t live with my parents, I’m considerably younger than 32, and I haven’t gotten an unemployment check in my life. All that being said, I still hope that Spiller maintains the lead back role in Buffalo.

8. monkeyhateclean says: Sep 23, 2012 12:21 AM

Worried about his job, Fred comes back too early, and gets hurt again. CJ finishes out the season as teh full-time starter and rushes for 2000 yards/13 TDs.

9. der6495 says: Sep 23, 2012 12:49 AM

“Take all the time you need.” – Every CJ Spiller fantasy owner

10. bangithard says: Sep 23, 2012 1:13 AM

Finley is still an average AT BEST TE

11. Corey Jeppesen says: Sep 23, 2012 1:18 AM

Tell him to take his time. Spiller is doing just fine.

12. gadzod says: Sep 23, 2012 4:00 AM

Sounds great! We can split the carries between the two so both have a better chance of getting healthy. That also keeps Fitzy from being forced to throw the ball! We don’t need Fitz to throw the ball, we just need him to not turn the ball over and manage the game. It will be AWESOME if FredEx is ready for the Patsies!

13. biffnasty says: Sep 23, 2012 6:59 AM

be a real shame to have spiller lose touches bc he has absolutely murdered it for my fantasy team. dont understand tho, dude has def proven he can hang, and out perform jackson, yet the bills would still start jackson if healthy? (@gaykeghoselover- close analysis but 30, college educated and 2 jobs, i bet ur a romney suporter an a eagles fan and with a small pen15)

14. EJ says: Sep 23, 2012 8:02 AM

You kind of don’t want to take any touches away from Spiller right now, but Jackson is also a play maker. I think you will get 100% with either one of the two on the field, might as well keep them both out there. Gailey has done a good job with getting both of them the ball. Having Spiller or Jackson line up as a Wideout, while one of the two is in the backfield. I’m sure that Gailey knows what he is going to do when he has Freddy back. Until then, let Spiller do what he’s been doing. He leads the NFL right now in rushing yards. I’m hoping to see him add another 200 yards today against the Browns.

15. bkostela says: Sep 23, 2012 8:50 AM

fred jackson clearly doesn’t have CJ spiller on his fantasy team.

16. yanksbills says: Sep 23, 2012 9:43 AM

Fred Jackson was last year’s league leading RB until a broken leg ended his season.

CJ Spiller is this years’s league leading RB.

What’s the problem here? This is only good news.

Oh yeah, both guys can catch the ball too.