Kevin Kolb plans to skip game if wife goes into labor

Kevin Kolb AP

Cardinals quarterback Kevin Kolb may be faced with a choice this season: Play in a game, or attend the birth of my child?

If he does face that choice, he plans to skip the game.

Kolb told the Arizona Republic that his wife is pregnant with their third daughter and due on October 4, the day the Cardinals play the Rams in St. Louis. If Kolb has to choose, he says, he will likely choose being with his family instead of being with his team.

“I don’t want to have to make that decision,” Kolb said. “I don’t make the rules, God does, so we’ll see what happens.”

Kolb is the second NFL quarterback to say this season that he’d skip a game for his child’s birth. Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, whose wife is pregnant, also said he’d put family ahead of football if faced with that decision.

In Kolb’s case, he may no longer be the Cardinals’ starting quarterback by the time his wife gives birth — Kolb may lose the starting job if John Skelton’s sprained ankle heals. But whether Kolb is the starter or the backup, it sounds like his mind is made up that he’ll prioritize being a husband and father over being a quarterback if the day comes when he has to choose.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
43 Responses to “Kevin Kolb plans to skip game if wife goes into labor”
  1. idonttipipaybills says: Sep 22, 2012 12:58 PM

Easy choice

2. sportfreak1996 says: Sep 22, 2012 12:58 PM

Listen, I’m all for family, but this is 2012, God only makes the rules if you let him. Induce labor on Thursday and get your ass on the field Sunday — this guy just doesn’t want to be an NFL QB.

3. logicalthinkersays says: Sep 22, 2012 12:59 PM

He got his cold cash so obviously no need to worry.

4. rr2000k says: Sep 22, 2012 12:59 PM

And no one will notice.

5. thekiller678 says: Sep 22, 2012 1:00 PM

Good news for the cards

6. kattykathy says: Sep 22, 2012 1:05 PM

Even though its the right decision, its not like the Cards will miss you. Skelton is just as terrible.

7. sdsockers says: Sep 22, 2012 1:13 PM

You’re a football player for a very short time. You’re a father forever.
    Go be with your wife and daughter.
    Family should come first, before anything. For those that think he should play football instead, I guess those men aren’t very good fathers (or husbands).

8. Wisconsin77 says: Sep 22, 2012 1:17 PM

This tells you all you need to know on if this guy is a franchise QB. Eagles knew what they were doing.

9. searchingwithmygoodeyeclosed says: Sep 22, 2012 1:21 PM

Cards are hoping the doc is correct on the due date.

10. citizenstrange says: Sep 22, 2012 1:23 PM

Here’s the math in round numbers.

A player has at most 20 games a year including playoffs.

In a 10 year career that’s 200 games.
    15 years = 300
    20 years = 400

Miss spring OTAs, miss training camp, miss practices but you better show up for work 200 times in 10 years. That isn’t really asking a lot.

11. theashleyguy says: Sep 22, 2012 1:30 PM

Hmmm…let’s see. Show up for the birth of your child and being there with your family and child at one of the most special days possible. Or show up for a coach and a team who could care less about you, already replaced you once and you’re only back because of injury, for the fans who ridicule you and want Skelton, and for the media who will create controversy wherever they can. Wow what a tough choice.

12. countyk66ers says: Sep 22, 2012 1:31 PM

She’ll wait until Monday.

13. celebratingnothing says: Sep 22, 2012 1:32 PM

I love how people use God as an excuse when it is convenient. God also says to give all your belongings to the poor. Don’t see him doing that. Don’t use God as a way to remove yourself from taking ownership and responsibility of your decisions.

14. illad3lph1a says: Sep 22, 2012 1:33 PM

Sport freak, clearly your not a father.. It’s a once in a lifetime event… It’s your child

15. phillyphannn83 says: Sep 22, 2012 1:35 PM

I read the headline and thoutht this was about tomorrows game, boy would that have made the next 24 hours interesting in addition to causing people to think he was duckin his old team!

16. geniusesq says: Sep 22, 2012 1:41 PM

When the baby comes out he’ll say, “dude what are you doing here? I started you on my fantasy team!!!”

J/K No brainer

17. geniusesq says: Sep 22, 2012 1:52 PM

Baby says ‘Sit Em’

18. ham1 says: Sep 22, 2012 1:58 PM

Be with the family and dont miss it.
    Look at the effects of the fat bozo coach who drafted you. Thats an example of somebody who didnt take time to be a father.

19. CKL says: Sep 22, 2012 2:00 PM

I’m a woman and I just don’t get this. You play MAYBE 20 games/year. If my husband had a job like that I’d say go do your job. Especially kid #3. Kid isn’t going to remember (yes I know, he and his wife will but this is about him as a dad as a whole), and all that’s important is that he’s a good dad. Being present when the baby comes into the world doesn’t indicate that one way or the other. It’s like when people say their wedding day was so important. No, the MARRIAGE is what’s important, not that day.

20. geniusesq says: Sep 22, 2012 2:06 PM

CKL will you marry me?

21. realfann says: Sep 22, 2012 2:16 PM

I was there for the birth of both of mine.

Vastly overrated. Way too much poop, blood and views of things that are better not viewed. Did learn a few new cuss words from the wife tho’.

/just saying

22. wabbitslayer says: Sep 22, 2012 2:23 PM

What’s the over/under on how long it takes the doctor to look at him during the delivery and say “That boy’s scared”?

23. logicalthinkersays says: Sep 22, 2012 2:36 PM

CKL I’m gonna frame your post in every room of my mansion. Finally the truth!!!

24. kingpel says: Sep 22, 2012 2:37 PM

Honestly, I think Kolb would miss a game to go watch Judge Dredd 3-D if he had the choice.

Not an Eagle fan at all, but man did they fleece the red birds in that deal.

25. spideysdog says: Sep 22, 2012 2:39 PM

I don’t know what the issue is. It’s a Win-Win situation.

Kevin WINS the opportunity to see his child born.

The Cardinals WIN the chance to win a game.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

26. cliffclavicle says: Sep 22, 2012 3:08 PM

Anyone who seriously believes the outcome of these games is “important” lives in a fairy-land of delusion.

27. jaredo10 says: Sep 22, 2012 3:19 PM

I believe the nfl schedule was released 9 months ago this sunday

28. ericn42000 says: Sep 22, 2012 4:10 PM

Congrats on your 3 rd child Kolb Family

29. baldeaglejohnie says: Sep 22, 2012 4:33 PM

Hoping this week’s game makes that decision easy for ya! ;-)……………………………………….

30. texasbuc30 says: Sep 22, 2012 4:37 PM

I’ve met his wife in college and she is a sweetheart. Good for him and congrats Kevin.

31. raidmagic says: Sep 22, 2012 4:39 PM

@celebratenothing,
    No where in the Bible does it say give all your belongings to the poor. Don’t hate on someone for their beliefs you will never understand.

32. mburkett1980 says: Sep 22, 2012 4:48 PM

I understand that not every person is the same and I’m all for family – I have two kids of my own and a third on the way.

But I also don’t have a job that pays me millions and has 16 very important dates that I’ve signed up for. I think if I am an NFL owner, paying a player a salary as large as his is, I’d expect you to be available for work whenever I want, wherever I want, but especially on those 16 specific days.

This isn’t a normal 9 to 5 job, and this is one of many things NFL players chose to sacrifice when they got into the league.

This is his third child, not his first, and as someone else alluded to, it won’t be the end of the world if you miss your child’s birth. What is more important is that you’re there for your child as he/she is growing up. The kid won’t remember you being there the day you were born.

Besides, being an NFL player, he and his wife should have planned their child’s birth around the football season, especially if he views being at the birth as a requirement. I once coached college football, and my wife and I did the same with our planning each of our kids.

Sorry if this offends anyone.

33. jimnaizeeum says: Sep 22, 2012 5:24 PM

“I don’t want to have to make that decision,” Kolb said. “I don’t make the rules, God does, so we’ll see what happens”
    ==================================
    You can time these events to fall outside of your jobs 16 week window…then no decision.

34. hrmlss says: Sep 22, 2012 5:24 PM

His wife has already let it be known she hates Arizona, and would prefer the East Coast, like NY. So she was hoping they would cut him preseason.

35. tdshouldbeinthehall says: Sep 22, 2012 5:54 PM

Wisconsin77 says:
    Sep 22, 2012 1:17 PM
    ———-
    Big Ben said the same thing and he is a franchise QB. Kind of kills your thought.

36. richc111 says: Sep 22, 2012 5:57 PM

Let’s face it. They are not having the baby on a Sunday. Just like Big Ben it sounds great saying all of this but there is a term called Induction which allows a couple to pick a date and time. But let’s say if it does come on a Sunday, is he crazy, unless he is ready to retire, or sue the Cardinals if he losses the starting position because he took a Sunday off how can’t you play! I told my wife about this and she was like there shouldn’t even be a question, he should play. As politically incorrect as it sounds he should play.

37. chademer07 says: Sep 22, 2012 6:01 PM

Some of you people are insane. You don’t miss the birth of your kid, simple as that. It doesn’t matter what job you have, what you get paid, it’s a day that you share with your wife. I don’t even have a child and I understand the importance of that day with even experiencing it.

38. conormacleod says: Sep 22, 2012 6:19 PM

Except that god is a delusion. He doesn’t exist. But if you want to believe in a god, that’s fine, just stop pretending your make believe god cares about sports…or even cares about human beings for that matter.

39. iced107 says: Sep 22, 2012 7:25 PM

Kolb’s having a kid?

Well it’s not like he’s had any protection in awhile

40. fordmandalay says: Sep 22, 2012 11:24 PM

So that’s at least 3 completions he’s made in his career.

41. fordmandalay says: Sep 22, 2012 11:28 PM

BTW, “no where in the Bible does it say give your money to the poor”? Try in Matthew 19:21. Geez I’m a Buddhist and I know that.

42. dmface says: Sep 23, 2012 12:12 AM

Well suppose his wife dies while giving labor. Suppose his wife and child both die during birth. I suppose the game is way more important than family. Suppose his mom is married to a man who is not his father and his mom dies. And his step dad is..lets say..a Ram fan. And step dad plans to have the funeral on game day sunday. Well he is making millions and has signed up for 16 important dates. Should he go play football on the day his mom is buried or should he attend his mom’s funeral service. I would make the decision of playing football because if i could miss my child being born I could surely miss my moms funeral. Both really no big deal.

43. hawkfan30000 says: Sep 23, 2012 1:22 AM

You it isn’t going well when even god himself is trying to bench you.