LaRon Landry “won’t slow down” after $15,750 fine

Antonio Brown,  LaRon Landry AP

Jets safety LaRon Landry was fined $15,750 for a horse-collar tackle on Steelers receiver Antonio Brown on Sunday, but he says the way he plays the game won’t change.

That all comes with my style of play,” Landry told Newsday. “I just got to be more cognizant of where I am on the field and just play a little smarter. But I won’t slow down. When I’m in the game, I’m not thinking about a penalty I’m about to have. I’m just playing a play to win, to do anything to help my team out. All the penalties, all the fines, I’m not really worried about. I’ll worry about that when the game’s over. But throughout the game, I’m just trying to make a play.”

Jets coach Rex Ryan acknowledged being concerned that Landry is developing a reputation as a player the officials should keep an extra close eye on, but he said he believes Landry is a clean hitter.

For his part, Landry says he plans to appeal the fine. It’s hard to see any reason he should win that appeal, as he clearly committed the horse-collar tackle and was correctly penalized.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
26 Responses to “LaRon Landry “won’t slow down” after $15,750 fine”
  1. logicalthinkersays says: Sep 22, 2012 9:30 AM

Yeah…he only slows down when, you know, it’s time to cover someone. Out of the league in two years.

2. geniusesq says: Sep 22, 2012 9:32 AM

If he wasn’t always injured, maybe he wouldn’t be behind receivers so much.

3. drainbameged says: Sep 22, 2012 9:45 AM

If your horse collaring doesn’t that mean you to slow to make a good tackle?

4. tizomps says: Sep 22, 2012 9:47 AM

Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. Coverage is non existent and acts like a child when he makes a tackle 15 yards down field.

Not a good football player.

5. jpb12 says: Sep 22, 2012 9:50 AM

Hits players who are already down

6. bduncanscott says: Sep 22, 2012 9:52 AM

The key words here are “when I’m on the field”

7. scoonie97 says: Sep 22, 2012 9:55 AM

Laron also added, “Did you see how good my arms look?”

8. stonecld33 says: Sep 22, 2012 9:57 AM

And they call incognito dirty.

9. csilojohnson says: Sep 22, 2012 10:02 AM

He is a dirtbag. 90% of his tackles are out of bounds. I dont think a flag was thrown on the horse collar. I know he was flagged for his third late hit. Dont recall a horse collar. Could be wrong though.

10. jaystus says: Sep 22, 2012 10:04 AM

Then he will be bankrupt faster than he normally will be.

11. hehateme2 says: Sep 22, 2012 10:06 AM

He’ll slow down the next time he’s hurt….. some jets just don’t get it.

12. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Sep 22, 2012 10:12 AM

I never get why players that get fined have to go into bravado-mode with publicly asserted comments like: “That all comes with my style of play … I won’t slow down … All the penalties, all the fines, I’m not really worried about…”

The message that sends to the Commish, who is empowered to levy fines, suspensions, etc. – is one of defiance and insubordination of sorts. By virtue thereof, it a message that virtually begs for a STEEP escalation of penalties on the next go-round.

If the player doesn’t wish to modify his behavior and fines of this magnitude have no effect —> the Commish will escalate the penalties to a much more severe level, up to and including suspension.

My point is, by voicing how little you give a damn about a fine of $15K+ — is likely hurting your team, your fans, your ownership group and YOU.

A better approach might be to keep one’s mouth shut and keep moving. And if one does feel the need to say something, a more contrite message of sorts would seem to be less harmful than a defiant tone.

13. cuse6468 says: Sep 22, 2012 10:18 AM

No one is asking you to slow down, eight ball.
    Play by the rules or hopefully someone another team will take you out, jerk

14. billsboy88 says: Sep 22, 2012 10:27 AM

Try telling David Nelson and Freddy Jackson that he’s a clean hitter. Landry injured both their knees in one game!!

15. burgandyandgold says: Sep 22, 2012 10:28 AM

Did he flex for the camera after tackling a guy on a 20 yard gain and first down?

16. cincinasty87 says: Sep 22, 2012 10:46 AM

Someone should tell this guy penalties in fact hurt your team and could very well cost you the game .. imagine that

17. vincentbojackson says: Sep 22, 2012 10:48 AM

Landry got exposed last week and his penalties compounded the Jets problems.

18. upstaterules says: Sep 22, 2012 10:59 AM

A cheapshot artist, goes after players’ knees!!

19. k0mbucha says: Sep 22, 2012 11:14 AM

Ahh …so now people are starting to see the real LaRoid that Redskins fans have been complaining about for years. The guy isn’t good at all at this point in his career. He’s a walking penalty flag, blows coverages and takes poor angles on tackles. Other teams know this and constantly attack him on 3rd downs which are converted at a pretty good percentage.

20. cobruhhh says: Sep 22, 2012 11:48 AM

Everytime I read or hear about this guy, I just think of Brandon Jacobs plowing him over and I smile ear to ear.

21. inthearex says: Sep 22, 2012 12:52 PM

Two words tough guy… Brandon Jacobs.

22. patriots87 says: Sep 22, 2012 1:38 PM

not gonna lie. def didn’t think “cognizant” was in landry’s vocabulary.

23. ham1 says: Sep 22, 2012 2:06 PM

Sean Taylor wannabe minus the speed, agility and talent. His career might have been different had he played next to Taylor for 10 years.

24. trevor123698 says: Sep 22, 2012 4:46 PM

i swear his hit on fred jackson was intentional. Nobody else in the league goes down low on every hit like he does. Its like hes looking to cause harm. i’d hate to play against this guy

25. bigjoe2269 says: Sep 22, 2012 6:43 PM

attention Bills fans please stop crying – both clean hits and guys go on the IR from your team from playing rock scissors paper

26. mackie66 says: Sep 23, 2012 11:40 AM

Name two players, other then T Owens who was injured by a “horse collar” tackle?
    Cant be done. The “horse collar” tackle rule is silly. If Im chasing a RB whos running down field for a TD and the back is all I can get, then Ill tackle anyway I can. stupid, stupid rule.