Terrell Manning fought through painful disease in training camp

. AP

It’s hard enough trying to make an NFL team as a fifth-round rookie.

But when you’re dealing with a painful and frankly embarrassing illness that saps you of strength, it’s even harder.

Packers linebacker Terrell Manning dealt with an unknown stomach ailment throughout training camp, eventually finding out a parasite caused colitis, the swelling of the large intestine. That caused constant diarrhea and Manning lost 15 pounds at a time when he was trying to make an impression on coaches.

“There were times I’d be on the field, getting contact and running, running, running and I was like, ‘Dang.’ I’m about to use the bathroom on myself,’” Manning said, via Tyler Dunne of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. It was that bad. I remember one time I got hit and literally almost used the bathroom on myself. I said, ‘I can’t do it, I can’t do it.’”

Coaches and trainers knew, but he kept the news from his teammates, which along with trying to play his way into a job while not sleeping and losing weight added to the pressure he felt.

“Trust me, trust me,” he said. “That was always on my mind because that’s all anybody talked about — ‘he’s not doing this, he’s not doing that.’ In the back of my mind, I’m thinking, ‘Well, I’m doing all I can with what I’m given right now.’ It was very stressful, very stressful.”

As to why he kept it a secret, he replied: “Because to me, there were no excuses. If I’m not dying, I’m going to be out here. That’s the stance I’ve always taken with football. Obviously, I didn’t think I was dying until that night I felt like I couldn’t take it anymore. Even then, once they let me know what it was and gave me some medicine, I still went. I didn’t take any days off and I wasn’t going to.”

Manning said he’s gained back just over half the weight he lost during training camp (he went from 235 to 220), and feels better, medically and now that he secured a job.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Terrell Manning fought through painful disease in training camp”
  1. deltaoracle says: Sep 22, 2012 4:19 PM

Yeah there were several articles during the summer wondering why he wasn’t playing better. Glad that they got it figured out, and hoping he has a long, successful career with the Pack.

2. goldenperspective says: Sep 22, 2012 4:25 PM

That gives “turd watch” a whole new meaning!

3. allidoiswin55 says: Sep 22, 2012 4:32 PM

That suuuuuuucks! But you persevered! Thats what successful men do. Never quit! Make no excuses! and just keep working! Good Deal!

4. bjamesa says: Sep 22, 2012 5:12 PM

Exactly the type of players I want on my team. I love the personality of players the Packers have. Can’t wait for Monday night!!!

Also, its ironic that the Packers have to go the bathroom on themselves… Since they’ve spent the last two years going to the bathroom on everyone else.

5. clubergo says: Sep 22, 2012 5:50 PM

Colitis is not a Parasite it’s a autoimmune Disease and is very serious. he runs the risk of rupture of his colon. ..Wishing him a healthy long life

6. nesuperfan says: Sep 22, 2012 5:55 PM

Coaches conference:
    Coach 1: He’s losing weight, and that’s not good.
    Coach 2: Yeah, but he does a 4.2 40 to the toilet!

Seriously, I am glad he is doing better. Gastrointestinal problems are horrible to deal with.

7. bearzfan says: Sep 22, 2012 8:31 PM

bjamesa says:Sep 22, 2012 5:12 PM

__________________

This has to rank as one of the most ridiculous posts in PFT history. I honestly love Green Bay…that is, the actual Bay. Meanwhile, Packer fans are some of the most backward folks I have ever met. I guess if there is Packer news in the obituary pages of the Green Bay newspaper, it only stands to reason that this type of commentary is the result.

8. glowingstone says: Sep 23, 2012 8:05 AM

@bearzfan: Oh, grow up. For one thing, only a simple mind takes one post from a team’s fan and turns it into a characterization of EVERY FAN OF THE TEAM. And for another thing: did you really not notice that damn near half the posts on PFT are some variation of “my team is awesome and your team sucks”?