Darrius Heyward-Bey in stable condition, will spend night in hospital

Pittsburgh Steelers v Oakland Raiders Getty Images

One of the day’s scarier scenes was the one that saw Raiders wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey carted off the field after a blow to the head from Steelers safety Ryan Mundy.

We’ve covered the particulars of the hit earlier on Sunday. Now we’re passing along an update about Heyward-Bey’s condition. The Raiders have passed along word that Heyward-Bey is in stable condition at a hospital in the Oakland area. He will spend the night there and we’ll keep an eye out for an update on his exact condition, which isn’t known as yet, on Monday.

“I didn’t go in there trying to hit him with my helmet. Things like that happen so fast. He may have come down to the level of my helmet. I have to see the replay, I don’t know,” Mundy said, via Steve Corkran of the Bay Area News Group. “Unfortunately, things like that do happen. From my standpoint, they’re never intentional.”

Heyward-Bey wasn’t the only Raider to suffer an injury after a hit from Mundy. Tight end Brandon Myers wound up concussed after catching a key 24-yard pass late in the fourth quarter when he was hit in the head by Mundy. There was no penalty missed on the hit, which came as Myers was lurching forward to try for more yards, but Myers was still knocked out of the game.

Mundy and the Steelers should have been penalized for that first hit, intentional or not. We imagine he’ll be getting a FedEx from the league informing him of a fine this week.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
35 Responses to “Darrius Heyward-Bey in stable condition, will spend night in hospital”
  1. irishfan109 says: Sep 23, 2012 10:20 PM

You never like to see something like this happen to anyone. Here’s to a speedy recovery!

2. raiderman81 says: Sep 23, 2012 10:23 PM

The regular refs need to come back soon or someone is going to die one of these games ! The hits today are crazy!! DHB…. VICK…. ROMO… wow. hope they are all ok !!

3. joetoronto says: Sep 23, 2012 10:25 PM

Thanks God, I was afraid he broke his neck.

4. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Sep 23, 2012 10:26 PM

That hit to Darrius should be flagged every day of the week and twice on Sunday…

5. raiderapologist says: Sep 23, 2012 10:29 PM

Mundy sounds like a Steeler fan. “He must have fallen into my head shot.”

6. bombayjon says: Sep 23, 2012 10:32 PM

I can give Mundy the benefit of the doubt and trust it was accidental, but it still should have been flagged. I hope he recovers quick.

7. goldrush36 says: Sep 23, 2012 10:33 PM

As much as I hate the Raiders that was a terrible sight to see, and it was nice to see the team bounce back from it. Hope he recovers quickly

8. talkingproud says: Sep 23, 2012 10:34 PM

Good to see that someone is stepping up and taking over James Harrison while he is injured…

9. villa41 says: Sep 23, 2012 10:36 PM

Get well DHB.

As for the Steeler fans, please no more excuses. Our secondary was ridiculously banged up, and we still won. Penalties? Come on. Oakland has been getting the short end of the stick forever.

Go to Primanti’s when you get home and have a sandwich. You’ll fell better.

10. nmrdr795 says: Sep 23, 2012 10:37 PM

Munday must have played with harrison and heinz ward notorious cheap shotters. Its a bang bang play i dont know if he was being cheap on purpose i really dont care. Just hope DHB is ok and recovers quickly gets out and is on the field soon.

11. greg2geez says: Sep 23, 2012 10:39 PM

No matter which monkey you dress in the zebra suit, replacement, regular whatever, the Raiders never get that call. Get well soon DHB.

12. maximus929 says: Sep 23, 2012 10:39 PM

That’s three illegal helmet to helmet hits by the dirty Steelers in this game.

Maybe the league office should investigate that organization… looked like part of their plan to me.

13. afc22 says: Sep 23, 2012 10:41 PM

Second time in two weeks Mundy has delivered a big shot to the head of an offensive player….i’m sure he’s right, it’s all an accident

14. stairwayto7 says: Sep 23, 2012 10:47 PM

As former Raider DB George Atkis sayd..SOFT!

15. pantherpro says: Sep 23, 2012 11:07 PM

Jack Tatum… Did you ever apologize? You’re trash just like Raider Nation!

16. jlb10 says: Sep 23, 2012 11:16 PM

he did “come down” you launched yourself at him. you are not supposed to leave your feet and act like your helmet is a missile you idiot
    dhb i hope you have a speedy recovery!

17. easyeddie says: Sep 23, 2012 11:22 PM

————————————-
    “Stable” is not a legitimate medical/hospital state or condition. It merely means that little if any immediate change is expected. It can mean critical but stable, serious but stable or good but stable and condition and is used so hospitals and media won’t violate Hipaa laws.

18. cereal blogger says: Sep 23, 2012 11:34 PM

Another dirty hit by a Steeler

19. bigdingyguy says: Sep 23, 2012 11:42 PM

I dont know… I know the rules today, and by rule it was a dirty hit. Its prety clear to me though that he wasnt intentionally leading with his helmet, and it shouldnt stain his reputation. DHB, I wish you a speedy recovery

20. billsboy88 says: Sep 23, 2012 11:45 PM

Mundy seems to be one of those guys who is having a really hard time following the helmet to helmet rule. Its a regular thing with him anymore…

21. tatum064 says: Sep 23, 2012 11:49 PM

Steelers hit dirty, but it didn’t matter. No matter what our record , we BALL out v. the Steelers.

Raiders have a 14-12 all-time record head-to-head v. the Steelers.

Legendary game.

Prayers to DHB

We did it for you, my brother.

1 NATION

22. oms0004 says: Sep 23, 2012 11:52 PM

This is what Greg Williams was advocating for… I hope that loser never finds his way back to this league. The players deserve better. “Kill the head” (kill my career)

23. slightlyhyphy says: Sep 23, 2012 11:52 PM

Later in the game Mundy also speared Brandon Myers with a helmet to helmet hit. Meyers sustained a concussion. At some point, these plays aren’t just coincidental. They are an indication of the way Mundy plays, or perhaps is coached to play.

24. Kyle Orton's Hangover says: Sep 23, 2012 11:53 PM

@PantherPro I never got your hatred for the Raiders, different divisions and even conferences. With that being said we’ve gotten a big play touchdown and team player out of Goodson, how’s Bruce Campbell and Louis Murphy working out? Don’t be too upset though, it’d not like a veteran receiver had to calm down your #1 QB on the sidelines because he couldn’t hack it… oh wait

25. johntonioholmes says: Sep 23, 2012 11:59 PM

Horrible officiating all game.

The Mundy shot was so clear and it was missed. Sander almost took a helmet to helmet shot earlier in the game–it should have been flagged because the defender led with his helmet and launched–but that was missed too.

Hood took a cheap shot to the knee with a minute to play in the game and nothing was said about it.

There should have been offsetting penalties at the goal line when Pitt scored the one TD.

Just awful all around.

26. johntonioholmes says: Sep 24, 2012 12:07 AM

Someone said it earlier. It was clearly illegal, but not dirty. Mundy actually led with his hands, not his head.

I don’t really understand the rule because earlier in the game, one of the Raiders’ safeties (I have no clue who it was) led with his helmet and launched at Emmanuel Sanders–but he didn’t make contact with Sanders’ helmet. Fouts about messed his pants trying to say that it was a good clean hit, but the guy led with the crown of his helmet!

I just don’t understand it because the penalty should be based on intent. Clearly, helmets are going to clang when guys are playing that fast. There should only be a flag if a guy is clearly trying to use his head as a bettering ram. Mundy didn’t show intent by lowering his helmet or launching upward at Heyward-Bey. That other safety, however, was inches away from his tackle being deemed “illegal” and “cheap.”

27. dylanssongwriter says: Sep 24, 2012 12:40 AM

the steelers just don’t get it…..

28. doggz109 says: Sep 24, 2012 5:10 AM

Hard legal hit….let the millionaires play and earn their paycheck.

Inside you know we all watch the game for these kinds of hits.

29. eleventyeight says: Sep 24, 2012 5:44 AM

As a Steelers fan i want to say that i have been pray for Heyward-Bey since that hit. I hope he is OK in a few day or at least suffers no permanent damage.

For all you Steelers-haters out there:
    Mundy was in perfect position to hit H-B in the stomach until Heyward-Bey lowered his shoulders. Even then both Mundy and Clark were perfectly timed to dislodge a caught ball. Apparently it is a heinous act of pure hatefullness since he dropped the pass.

It amazes me how much some people go out of their way to bash anything the Steelers do.

And Oakland-magically!- had zero penalties until the mid-third quarter. I, for one, have never seen any team have zero penalties for more than an entire first half while the Steelers had 7 penalties and a TD return voided for some phantom holding.

Oakland won the game. Palmer was always a threat to the Steelers when in Cinci. And the Steelers defense gave up far too many big plays.

We were missing two All-Pro defenders yet still kept us in it for most of the game.

No loss is a “good” loss but this one sue will offer the Steelers a lot of tape on how to do things better, especially the defense. When the Steelers lost All-Pro players like Aaron Smith, James Farrior, and a long-time starter in Bryant McFadden and a NT in Chris Hoke to retirement
    (Hoke would’ve been a starter anywhere else
    imho) in addition to Harrison and Troy it’s hard for any team to gain all that lost talent and experience.

So, as a Steelers fan i’m sad about the loss but i applaud the Raiders for their winning effort and i’ll keep Hey-Bey in my thoughts and prayers wishing him a full recovery.

30. chargersdiehard says: Sep 24, 2012 7:20 AM

Hope DHB has a quick recovery, as much as I love big hits I hate to see anyone hurt. Kid was having a solid season too so far.

31. spavs412 says: Sep 24, 2012 8:08 AM

It happens it’s fast and he is trying to crush a dude and jar the ball out. Hate to see it happen but it’s not like Oakland didn’t have a few low hits on Ben.. Both sides were trying to make plays this one was ugly and needs to be fined

32. raidernation210 says: Sep 24, 2012 9:17 AM

Gee go figure another penalty not called against the Raiders. But I am sure he will be fined from the league. I don’t see the difference in officaiting we still don’t get the calls.

GET WELL DHB!!! Great win for DA RAIDERS!!

33. raiders757 says: Sep 24, 2012 10:21 AM

“Oakland-magically!- had zero penalties until the mid-third quarter. I, for one, have never seen any team have zero penalties for more than an entire first half”

The Raiders didn’t have a penalty in the entire first half of the Dolphins game either. They’re playing much more disciplined football these days and it’s showing with the lack of yellow flags.

Get well soon DHB!!

34. sudz28 says: Sep 24, 2012 10:50 AM

I definitely hope Darrius is ok and fully recovers in time for next week – that was an ugly hit, and I was really worried until he finally gave the thumbs up as he was being carted off. Of course as a Steeler fan I don’t think it was an intentional head shot that Mundy hit him with, but I agree it should have been a penalty. Best of luck to DHB, and great game Raiders!

35. raiderapologist says: Sep 24, 2012 6:58 PM

johntonioholmes says: Sep 24, 2012 12:07 AM

The safety was Giordano, and he hit with his shoulder, not his helmet. It was an excellent stick, and perfectly legal. Fouts isn’t going to go out of his way to make excuses for Raider defenders.