Hines Ward still gets a hard time from Ravens fans

Hines+Ward+Haruki+Nakamura+AFC+Championship+1AM5n8uY-Bsl Getty Images

Former Steelers receiver Hines Ward, now a member of the NBC Sports family, returned to Baltimore for Sunday night’s game between the Patriots and Ravens.

And Ravens fans aren’t ready to forget Ward’s time with the Steelers.

On his Facebook page and during Football Night In America, Ward explained his interactions with Ravens fans during his trek from New York to Baltimore.

“I’m at the gate heading to Baltimore, a flight attendant comes up to me and asks me,’You are Hines right?’ and I said ‘Yes.’ He says, ‘I HATE you!‘ So … I’m on the plane and the guy next to me says, ‘Are you Hines?’  I say ‘Yes.’  He says ‘I HATE you!’”

Then, when Hines checked into his Baltimore hotel, the employee working at the desk said, “Thank you for staying with us today Mr. Ward, and by the way I HATE you.”

Hines also explained that, during his playing career, the Steelers bus once passed a grandfather, father, and young son who were each decked out in Ravens gear — and who each were each giving the Steelers the finger.

We’ve got a feeling Hines will see a few fingers tonight.  Imagine how bad it would be if he wasn’t picking the Ravens to win.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
25 Responses to “Hines Ward still gets a hard time from Ravens fans”
  1. bigharold says: Sep 23, 2012 11:32 PM

Hey, … like Reggie Jackson said;

They don’t boo nobodies.

2. bostonbias says: Sep 23, 2012 11:34 PM

Just Baltimore being the classy city that it is…. :-)

3. billsboy88 says: Sep 23, 2012 11:48 PM

Roughly the same way Pittsburghers would treat a visiting Ray Lewis

4. stlrldyfn says: Sep 23, 2012 11:58 PM

I can’t believe after all those years Hines actually expected anything better out of Ravens fans. Typical behavior.

5. farty5 says: Sep 24, 2012 12:11 AM

I bet they wouldn’t care about Ward if he hadn’t given out so many cheap shots.

6. seahawksdan72 says: Sep 24, 2012 12:20 AM

thats funny,i hate him too.guess thats the way it is when you were a thorn in there sides for all them years

7. slammer69 says: Sep 24, 2012 12:27 AM

Come on folks. What do you expect from that classless town?

8. jasndc75 says: Sep 24, 2012 12:32 AM

hines was awful, though not as bad as emmitt smith

9. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Sep 24, 2012 12:38 AM

@ bigharold who said:
    Sep 23, 2012 11:32 PM
    Hey, … like Reggie Jackson said;

They don’t boo nobodies.

- – -

Not true. I’m the consummate quintessential nobody — and am on the ass end of mass derision on a regular basis.

10. stealersfannot says: Sep 24, 2012 12:41 AM

Well after years of cheapshots and after-the-whistle finegling, what would you expect?

The man thrived on getting under the skin of raven players and fans. Now he expects civility?

Puh–leez!

11. rascalmanny says: Sep 24, 2012 1:28 AM

One of the dirtiest NFL players…and now he wants love.

12. YouMadCauseImStylingOnYou says: Sep 24, 2012 1:41 AM

Surprised he didn’t get another DUI on the way from the airport to the hotel.

13. randallflagg52 says: Sep 24, 2012 3:26 AM

In Baltimore we can respect rivial football players, but we do not respect cheap shot artists and POS human beings. If anything horrible were to ever happen to Hines Ward he would deserve something 10 times worse.

14. pens5829 says: Sep 24, 2012 5:38 AM

Just proving why they’re a bunch of losers.

15. mancinibread says: Sep 24, 2012 7:00 AM

Morons, he wasn’t looking for civility, he’s loving it! Bmore will get to win their superbowl in Nov, the only one they ever will win. Thanks for making Philly look high class.

16. cometkazie says: Sep 24, 2012 8:09 AM

Says more about the fans than anything else.

How can you “hate” an athlete? These guys basically are entertainers.

17. gorilladunk says: Sep 24, 2012 8:19 AM

Like about 90% of what Hines says on TV, that story was pure bul#sh*t! This guy is pathetic as a broadcaster. I thought Emmitt was the worst ever, but as Cosanza reminded us “suddenly a new contender emerges!”

18. nonny1964 says: Sep 24, 2012 8:30 AM

I will give Hines cvredit for one thing… at least he has a sence of humor and common sence. Unlike the mouth breathers from steel town.

How does this site let people attacj this city and it’s citizens and remove comments WE make about the state of OH?

19. godofwine330 says: Sep 24, 2012 8:57 AM

Brian Billick is famous for saying, “I HATE that guy…but I’d love to have him on my team.”

That is the best compliment you can give a guy like Hines. I have to say I feel the same way. Tough, hard-nosed guy. I understand why most fans outside of Pittsburgh hate him, but he is cool with me, even as a Browns fan. I respect game, and I respect the game.

20. kalib933 says: Sep 24, 2012 9:53 AM

This is all about the guy and not the team. If it was Jarome Bettis on that plane, no one would have disrespected him because he was a class act. Ward was always a dirty player and no one will forget that. In all honesty I’m not a fan of the steelers or the ravens but I will say this;

21. ravenator says: Sep 24, 2012 9:59 AM

Why would they like you. Biggest cheap shot artist ever

22. cacaw420 says: Sep 24, 2012 10:50 AM

Hines also hates Ravens fans:

“Guess what Ravens fans: I HATE you too but I will miss you guys the most.”

The relationship between the man and the city is clearly chock full of class, on both sides.

23. fuzzynuts55 says: Sep 24, 2012 2:21 PM

As a lifetime steeler fan.
    Congrats on tough win ravens.
    Ravens players i respect.
    Went to first steelers ravens game last year. Some really disrespectful fans but also some cool ones. I have seen pitt fans the same way.

24. steelcurtainn says: Sep 24, 2012 2:32 PM

not surprised at that. Funny actually. The real reason they hate Hines is because the ravens could never beat the steelers when it counted. Oh and the fact that Hines Ward cleaned Ed Reeds clock way to many times.

25. mcovington21 says: Sep 25, 2012 8:16 AM

The only reason they hate Hines cause he gave back what they shot at him. He is and was no dirtier than any of those Ravens players who take some of the cheapest shots out there. Back in the 70′s you would not call these shots cheap. You are just pissed that he was on a 6 time winning SUPER BOWL team and stopped you from getting there. Hate is such a harsh word but what do you expect from the most CLASSLESS FANS I HAVE EVER SEEN. You cannot go to a Ravens/Steelers game without them using words worse than hate. This is just a game and for the word hate to be used against another human is DISGUSTING. The man is NOT a football player anymore so GROW UP RAVENS YOU SUCK