Putting the loss of Torrey Smith’s brother in perspective

sp043011smith1

Tragedy touches us all at one time or another, and it has hit Ravens receiver Torrey Smith very hard on Sunday, with the death of his younger brother, Tevin, in a motorcycle accident.

Torrey’s special relationship with his siblings makes this specific situation even tougher to process.  Torrey helped raise Tevin, along with Torrey’s other siblings, even though Torrey was barely more than a toddler when he began to assume the duties of a parent.

Today told Torrey’s story last December.  “She financially did everything,” Torrey said of his mother, Monica Jenkins.  “I just stepped up and was trying to be a good role model for them.”

“He was four years old and I remember him getting up and fixing bowls of cereal for his siblings because I’d worked all night,” Jenkins said.

“I’d help take care of my brothers and sisters, from microwave to putting everybody to bed to putting clothes on them.  Just taking a little stress off my mother,” Torrey said.

Asked to describe Torrey during the interview, Tevin said, “Very humble, kind.  Just all around good person.”  Another brother said Torrey is a father figure to his siblings.

Watch the video and you’ll have a better understanding of the depths of the loss that Torrey Smith currently is experiencing.  We extend our condolences to Torrey and his family, and we ask any of you who make a habit of praying to keep Torrey and his family in mind as they embark on some of the toughest days of their lives.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
42 Responses to “Putting the loss of Torrey Smith’s brother in perspective”
  1. smitty152169 says: Sep 23, 2012 10:39 AM

Coming from someone who lossed there brother at a young age my thoughts and prayers go out to Torrey and his family!

2. cidman2001 says: Sep 23, 2012 10:42 AM

That’s really tragic. Smith is an excellent player and a great role model. My heart goes out to Torrey Smith and his family……

3. chargersdiehard says: Sep 23, 2012 10:43 AM

Thoughts, prayers, and condolences to the family.

4. eastsideballa says: Sep 23, 2012 10:45 AM

That’s heartbreaking, my condolences to the Smith family. The prophet Muhammad peace be upon him once said “paradise is beneath the feet of the mother”. Torrey is a awesome human being for stepping up for his mother at such a young age may Allah make this time of difficulty easy for him.

5. nflguy007 says: Sep 23, 2012 10:46 AM

RIP Tevin…. also having been there, there just aren’t comforting words. I hope the pain eases for Torrey and his family. Thoughts and prayers are with you today!

6. gridassassin says: Sep 23, 2012 10:52 AM

For a website accused of spreading rumors and polarizing fans (none of which I ever believed), this is a very nice story, that puts the loss of a family member in the proper perspective.

This is a very ‘human element’ story Mike – thanks.

God bless Torrey Smith and his entire family in this very tough time.

7. ravenator says: Sep 23, 2012 10:56 AM

Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. We love and support you Torrey

8. ibleedgreen45 says: Sep 23, 2012 10:59 AM

makes me so happy to know the NFL gave this man and his family security for the rest of their lives – we all envy these players for the money they make but stories like this make me happy to know we do have some great genuine people playing these sports

9. bluefan204 says: Sep 23, 2012 11:01 AM

Much love and many, many prayers out to Torrey Smith and his family.

10. grogansheroes says: Sep 23, 2012 11:07 AM

As a Pats fan, my heart goes out to Smith and his family. What a great young man. And who are the idiots that give these posts thumbs down?

11. dolphins1121 says: Sep 23, 2012 11:12 AM

Just curious, are you all praying to the same god that allowed his brother to be killed, or are you praying to some different, kinder invisible magician that can help ease the pain?

12. dolphins1121 says: Sep 23, 2012 11:15 AM

I’m sorry but it angers me greatly when people of faith, in my eyes, insult the death of someone by saying they will pray for the family. Give them kind words, be a shoulder for them to lean on. Do something meaningful. Prayers are meaningless, and it is extremely hypocritical to pray to the same god that allowed the tragedy to occur in the first place.

13. bleedburgandyandgold says: Sep 23, 2012 11:25 AM

Having a younger brother I deeply care for myself I know I would be devastated if something like this happened to him. My prayers are with Smith and his family.

14. gpack22 says: Sep 23, 2012 11:29 AM

You are a man among men Torrey. Please continue to live your life this way and be a role model. Thank you.

15. bleed4philly says: Sep 23, 2012 11:30 AM

Ravens suck!

16. unbreakable02215 says: Sep 23, 2012 11:42 AM

Puts all this competition crap in perspective.

very sad

Torrey seems like such a great person.

Pats thought about drafting him. After seeing the
    type of person he is, I wish they had.

Life just sucks sometimes.

17. godzilla111111 says: Sep 23, 2012 11:49 AM

bleed4philly says:
    Sep 23, 2012 11:30 AM
    Ravens suck!

———————————–
    You are scum of the earth.

18. packerman1968 says: Sep 23, 2012 11:50 AM

Maybe if Mom was not spitting babies out every 9 months or so. Her 4 year old would not have to be up making breakfast for his siblings.

So tired of hearing about all these single mom’s of athlete’s who had 10 babys by 10 father and how hard they had it.

They have time to breed, but not time to raise thier kids.

Sorry his brother died.

19. ravenator says: Sep 23, 2012 11:51 AM

To the ignorant posts, I feel sorry for your parents

20. dickbutts says: Sep 23, 2012 11:53 AM

Who are all these people disliking the sympathetic comments going out towards the family? Whats a bunch of knobheads! Best wishes to him and his family.

21. bluefan204 says: Sep 23, 2012 11:54 AM

dolphins1121 says: Sep 23, 2012 11:15 AM

Life is all about balance. There are good things, and there are bad things. Prayers are a consolation to millions upon millions of people in good times and bad. If you feel they’re meaningless, thats your choice, but bashing others for offering up the only possible consolation that they can on an internet outlet for the family of the person lost absolutely reeks of ignorance. If you have nothing to add, other than your own angry agenda, then dont say anything at all. This is hardly the time to derail what was meant as a sympathetic tribute to Torrey Smith and his family.

22. bluefan204 says: Sep 23, 2012 11:55 AM

bleed4philly says: Sep 23, 2012 11:30 AM

Ravens suck!

Straight outta filthy Philly. No one should be the least bit surprised

23. gpry says: Sep 23, 2012 11:55 AM

@Dolphins1121. I am praying for you!!

24. bruiseddeath says: Sep 23, 2012 11:57 AM

I can not give this enough thumbs up…

25. ravenatorsmom1 says: Sep 23, 2012 12:02 PM

Thats really tough. Major bummer and Ravens will miss him vs NE

26. corvusmaximus says: Sep 23, 2012 12:05 PM

He’s a fine, earnest, hardworking young man and sensible folks will recognize his grief and acknowledge that.

@dolphins1121…

It ought not anger you. Not much of a religious man myself but when folks offer their prayers and condolences it is a sincere form of caring; of showing that some things in this life, outside of football, do matter.

You’ll see that one day, I promise.

27. yomomma27 says: Sep 23, 2012 12:17 PM

How are they brothers if they have different last names?

Oh…….I get it now…..kitty is loose

28. pftstory says: Sep 23, 2012 12:34 PM

Pray for Dolphins1121 also.

29. dkphilly1122 says: Sep 23, 2012 12:36 PM

Don’t assume all of Philly is scum like Bleed is. To the other idiot who criticized praying, everyone is entitled to there opinion and praying if they want to. I’m not a big god person, but to each there own. I feel for Torrey and hope he comes out the other side stronger than before. Especially considering I lost my twin brother so I CAN relate to his loss.

30. pftstory says: Sep 23, 2012 12:41 PM

There is an element of the story where Torrey Smith did great things with a bad situation. But as the person above who is tired about athlete’s mothers with kids of multiple fathers stated, there is reason to not avoid why Torrey had to do what he did.

While I’ll salute Torrey, I will question why there are so many situations where a BOY has to take the role of father to his siblings.

31. aa1829 says: Sep 23, 2012 12:49 PM

For Packer Nation, heart felt condolences.

32. thraiderskin says: Sep 23, 2012 12:57 PM

I remember his story from his draft process and this situation is especially saddening. Its a damn shame something so bad has to happen to a man who seems like such a great person. Good Luck T. Smith.

33. sschmiggles says: Sep 23, 2012 1:07 PM

You’ll see that one day, I promise.
    ________________________

Can’t agree with this enough. I’m an atheist, and if someone offered their prayers to me after a tragedy, I’d take it for what it is–someone going out of their way to try make my day better, in the most meaningful way they know.

People are pathetic.

34. msb360 says: Sep 23, 2012 1:07 PM

RIP to Smith and his family. Some you of guys are disgusting with the disparaging comments.

35. christopher525 says: Sep 23, 2012 1:28 PM

To everyone who “disliked” @eastsideballa’s comment, you ignorant, intolerant twats are the reason people in the middle east hate us so much. People have the right to worship, or not worship, whatever they choose. As for the loss of Mr. Smith’s brother, there are no words that can ever help in this situation, and having never lost a brother myself, I can only hope he finds peace in this terrible time.

36. 2ndaryinsanity says: Sep 23, 2012 1:29 PM

This thread is both beautiful and disturbing. The heart felt sympathy expressed here shows that (most) NFL fans realize there are times football games are just that…a game. And the NFL players are real people, with real problems, with both joy and sorrow in their lives.
    Then you have people posting ugly, hate filled things. This isnt a time to focus on the shortcomings of Smith’s mother. This family is experiencing one of the worst things imaginable- why would you attack any member of the family??? Why not celebrate that Smith stepped up and did what needed to be done? He didnt join a gang, or turn to drugs. He helped take care of his family, went to college, worked hard, and made it to the NFL.
    I just dont understand those giving a thumbs down to expressions of love and support being offered to Smith and his family.
    I wonder why over 70 people have given a thumbs down to eastsideballa’s comments. Is it because he he speaks of Allah instead of the Christian God? Just wondering.
    I also offer my condolences and prayers to Smith and his family.

37. packerman1968 says: Sep 23, 2012 1:42 PM

People face death everyday….you have to go put the big boy boots on.

Most of us only get 3 to 5 days before we have to go back to work. After the death of a loved one.

While his brothers death is tragic..it is no more important then any one else family member being killed in a accident.

38. 2ndaryinsanity says: Sep 23, 2012 2:25 PM

@ packerman1968….after reading your posts here today, you might want to see if you can trade a Lombardi trophy for a heart. Are you always insensitive and cynical, or is there something about this situation that pushes your buttons???
    Oh yeah…”single women spitting out babies every 9 months or so with 10 babies with 10 different fathers.”
    Guess you’re one of those negative, glass less than half full people.
    It is nice to hear a positive story about anyone… athlete or non-athlete, who not only overcomes obstacles, but is able to help others along the way.
    I truely feel sorry for you. It’s been proven that people who go through life with a positive attitude actually live longer.
    Try it sometime…you might actually like it.

39. stlrldyfn says: Sep 23, 2012 3:20 PM

As a Steeler fan I must admit that this is the first time I agree with ravenator

40. bucforever says: Sep 23, 2012 8:46 PM

Sorry for your loss Torrey! May God send comfort to you and your family.

41. sufferingbirdsfan says: Sep 23, 2012 8:51 PM

RIP

42. dolphins1121 says: Sep 24, 2012 11:32 AM

It is amazing to see how Christians gang up on me for my post being insensitive, and then turn around and down vote the Muslim who is offering his own condolences via his religion. Ah, the arrogance and hypocracy of theists. Your religion is obviously the right one out of hundreds or thousands that exist. You are right for offering prayers to your Christian god to someone in a time of need, but how dare another person offer their prayers to Allah.

And I’M pathetic. Ok.