Brandon Marshall fires back at criticism from Warren Sapp

Bears wide receiver Marshall makes a catch over Rams cornerback Finnegan during the second half of their NFL football game at Soldier Field in Chicago Reuters

Former NFL defensive tackle and current NFL Network analyst Warren Sapp has had a few misadventures on radio lately.  Most recently, he has sparked a back and forth with Bears receiver Brandon Marshall by calling Marshall a “retard.”

“These kids that play the game today have no relevance for the past, have no conscious of what it is,” Sapp said on Friday’s edition of The Dan Patrick Show.  “I mean, Brandon Marshall talking about Shannon Sharpe, who is he to talk?  He’s the first 100-catch receiver, back-to-back, retard.  What you just did in Denver for three years.  You don’t know this?  No, of course he doesn’t, because it’s not about Brandon Marshall . . . it ain’t about the past, it’s about me.  It’s about personal success, pay me, and now I’ll think about being a team guy.”

Marshall responded through a video he uploaded on Twitter Monday morning.  Via the Chicago Tribune, here’s what Marshall said:  “I got a very disturbing heads up on something Warren Sapp said.  He called me ‘retarded.’  That’s really disappointing to hear that from an NFL legend, but I’m going to take this as a lesson.  And I think we all can learn from this.  Be very careful who you take advice from.  You want to surround yourself with good people, Godly people.  When I look at Warren Sapp, I can’t go to him and talk about finances because he filed for bankruptcy.  I can’t go to him and talk about my marriage because he filed for divorce.  I can’t go to him and talk about being a great father, because one day I’m going to have children, because he’s not active in his children’s life.  The lesson that we all should learn here is surround yourself with good people and be careful who you take counsel from.  I’m not saying he’s been there on my side giving me counsel.  But that’s not a guy that I can go to.”

Marshall then posted another video, roughly 15 minutes later.

“It’s one thing to give constructive criticism but when you talk down to someone, you’re rude to someone, you think you’re better than someone, that says a lot about who you are – not as far as outwardly, but deep in your soul,” Marshall said.  “So, it seems like it’s a bigger issue, and all we can do is try to encourage him to be better but at the same time, we’re going to hold you accountable, Warren.  Just like I’m held accountable. I’ve made my share of mistakes, and I’m going to continue to make my mistakes, but I’m never going to put myself on a platform or a podium where I think I’m invisible or untouchable.”

We’ve got a feeling that’s not the end of this one.

Permalink 106 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
106 Responses to “Brandon Marshall fires back at criticism from Warren Sapp”
  1. sabatimus says: Sep 24, 2012 10:00 PM

How do you spell retard?

2. Keyser Söze says: Sep 24, 2012 10:00 PM

Marshall is not wrong….I’m just saying….

3. numberoneinthehoodg says: Sep 24, 2012 10:01 PM

Bra-fricken-o!!!!!!!

4. catquick says: Sep 24, 2012 10:02 PM

GOT TOLD, WARREN!

5. afinemessi says: Sep 24, 2012 10:02 PM

Actually, Art Monk was the first 100 catch receiver, not Shannon Sharpe.

6. skins716 says: Sep 24, 2012 10:02 PM

oh damn.. right back at you 1000% sapp!! lol

7. tommyribs says: Sep 24, 2012 10:05 PM

Wow – Brandon Marshall just Bitch-Slapped Warren Sapp.

He just made Sapp look like a Punk, he owned him.

Good for you Brandon, Warren Sapp is a Turd.

8. sixjak says: Sep 24, 2012 10:06 PM

Warren Sapp is battin .1000. Lol.

9. jvibottomline says: Sep 24, 2012 10:07 PM

Great response by Marshall and true

10. xsfmed says: Sep 24, 2012 10:07 PM

Marshall : 1 Sapp : 0

11. gregerss says: Sep 24, 2012 10:07 PM

Wow. I’d say that Sapp got owned on that comeback.

12. ctiggs says: Sep 24, 2012 10:07 PM

BOOM Roasted!!!

13. c0rona55 says: Sep 24, 2012 10:08 PM

Oh no he didnt!

14. figpucker says: Sep 24, 2012 10:08 PM

I agree with Brandon on this. Pigs just flew by my window.

15. urlacher54 says: Sep 24, 2012 10:08 PM

I think Marshall responded well. Especially considering his penchant for causing trouble. Looks like we may be able to take his claims of growing up a little more serious.

16. onebucplace says: Sep 24, 2012 10:08 PM

Oh no, here’s comes the PC Nazi’s. If you go to YouTube to cry about being called a retard, that makes you just another YouTube retard.

17. sadskinsfan89 says: Sep 24, 2012 10:09 PM

O Cool

18. onebucplace says: Sep 24, 2012 10:09 PM

“…you think you’re better than someone, that says a lot about who you are”

I think I’m a lot better than a lot of people, it says I think highly of myself. In America that USED to be a good thing, it meant you’d try to better yourself etc. You come off like a whinny retard.

19. pandaaa69 says: Sep 24, 2012 10:10 PM

Bravo Marshall, Bravo…

20. kingbeason52 says: Sep 24, 2012 10:10 PM

BOOM!!!…roasted.

21. Maximus Decimus Meridius says: Sep 24, 2012 10:11 PM

Agree 100% with Marshall on this

22. edhochuli says: Sep 24, 2012 10:12 PM

Burn. Don’t even like Marshall but that was good.

23. nativedago76 says: Sep 24, 2012 10:12 PM

I am now a fan of Marshall….

24. jae121704 says: Sep 24, 2012 10:12 PM

Brandon Marshall – 1 Warren Sapp – 0

25. jackblackshairyback says: Sep 24, 2012 10:12 PM

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but Brandon Marshall sounds like the more mature one here.

26. lesliedevereaux says: Sep 24, 2012 10:13 PM

Wow! Brandon responded with some low-blows. Even though his response was aggressive, it’s good to see how he’s grown as a man off the field. Also, Warren Sapp is continuing to ruin his reputation.

27. psunick says: Sep 24, 2012 10:13 PM

Any outrage at Sapp’s use of the word “retard”?

Calling Craig!

28. doubledogcatch says: Sep 24, 2012 10:13 PM

My girl interned at inside the nfl and said everyone was really nice exept warren sapp. He was always throwing fits and yelling at people about his food or screaming at interns because he couldn’t figure out how to use a computer. He’s the “snookie” off nfl talking heads.

29. blue18hutthutt says: Sep 24, 2012 10:14 PM

Wow – Brandon Marshall taking the high-road? Man he’s come a long way – great roast of classless Sapp!

Sapp calling Brandon Marshall a “retard” in light of his struggles with bi-polar disorder is the epitome of ignorance and classlessness

30. sbdt says: Sep 24, 2012 10:14 PM

I have never been, nor will I ever be, interested in anything Warren Sapp has to say.

31. doubledogcatch says: Sep 24, 2012 10:15 PM

Retard? I can’t wait till sapp gets fired and disappears.

32. canadianvikingfaniii says: Sep 24, 2012 10:15 PM

I love it! More people should call out that idiot Sapp.

33. roastmeforbeingacardsfan says: Sep 24, 2012 10:15 PM

Warren sapp “I’m hurt dawg.”

34. mialto says: Sep 24, 2012 10:15 PM

Bucs fan here – the word “retard” is highly offensive especially to those families with individuals that face these challenges in our lives.

35. ericn42000 says: Sep 24, 2012 10:16 PM

Ouch!

36. objectivenflfan says: Sep 24, 2012 10:16 PM

Brandon and Warren sittin’ in a tree.

37. reignmaker5 says: Sep 24, 2012 10:16 PM

I like the old Brandon Marshall more than I have ever liked Warren Sapp. This Marshall seems to have more of a head on his shoulders, which is very encouraging. Sorry Warren, the truth hurts.

38. RockChalkMike says: Sep 24, 2012 10:17 PM

Pot, kettle.

39. arrruserious says: Sep 24, 2012 10:17 PM

Burn

40. 2ndaryinsanity says: Sep 24, 2012 10:19 PM

Good for you, Brandon! Way to tell Sapp off…best part is you spoke the truth.Sapp has no business pointing the finger at anyone.
    Looks like Marshall’s treatment for Borderline Personality Disorder is going well. There was a time not long ago where he would have not reacted in such a mature manner.

41. magicbucs says: Sep 24, 2012 10:19 PM

It’s funny cause both of these guys went to HS in central Florida. Sapp went to Apopka HS and Marshall went to Lake Howell HS which is where I went. I have to side with my “silver hawk” alum and not the “blue darter” that sapp is. I’m still torn since im a buc fan..

42. aj303 says: Sep 24, 2012 10:20 PM

In Sapps defense Marshall is an idiot. This is the same guy that has been cited for domestic violence 3 times, somehow smashed his hand through a tv, and started the altercation that lead to Darrent Williams being shot on New Years.

43. lj6917 says: Sep 24, 2012 10:21 PM

all the talk about marshall on this site and through the media, i think the guy took the high road on this one. sapp is just trying to say relevant because his career is crashing in front of him

44. khuxford says: Sep 24, 2012 10:22 PM

Ummm…did Warren Sapp actually say Shannon Sharpe was the first receiver with back to back 100 catch seasons and call Marshall ignorant of the past? Because that’d be funny. I can’t wait for Sterling’s video response.

45. bigdaddystyle says: Sep 24, 2012 10:23 PM

He’s Right.

46. rexgrossman8 says: Sep 24, 2012 10:24 PM

Pay him. Marshall not Sapp. Sapp would spend it on his book that no one’s buying.

Offtopic, in regards to Sapp. If you call someone a rat publicly (Shockey) and trash his name, wouldn’t the prudent thing be to take the same platform you bullied from and apologize publicly as well? Private apology was a cop out.

47. Kreedos says: Sep 24, 2012 10:24 PM

Marshall owned Sapp with his response. Classy and grown,good job Marshall. You seem to be maturing at a rapid pace these days.

48. bettmanblows says: Sep 24, 2012 10:24 PM

Burn!

49. gumbogumbo says: Sep 24, 2012 10:25 PM

Who in their right mind would continue to employ Warren Sapp after this?

50. jcb6427 says: Sep 24, 2012 10:25 PM

Warren Sapp is a douche. Who cares what he says. Like Marshall appropriately pointed out, Sapp is the biggest loser of all time. I’m surprised he’s still on the networks.

51. cutlertomarshall says: Sep 24, 2012 10:25 PM

Marshall, you are the man.

52. drewdatwit84 says: Sep 24, 2012 10:26 PM

As useless as Marshall is as a receiver, he does have a point here in regards to Sapp.
    People in glass houses should not throw stones, especially in Sapp’s case where his figurative glass house is shattered and broken all over the place.

53. easyeddie says: Sep 24, 2012 10:26 PM

Uh Warren, I’d be careful of calling anyone “retard”. I believe you meant “reverence” for the past. And “These kids……. have no conscious of what it is,” that makes no sense whatsoever.

54. commonsensedude says: Sep 24, 2012 10:27 PM

Great response by Brandon Marshall.

I think that given the fact that Warren Sapp is officially bankrupt and has six children by five different women, he really should be focused on improving his own intellect and decision making rather than crudely attacking anyone else’s.

55. onebucplace says: Sep 24, 2012 10:27 PM

Come on Warren, words hurt. I’ll shed a tear for you Marshall, no one no matter how big of a s-bag they are should be called names.

56. finbukake says: Sep 24, 2012 10:27 PM

Those 2 guys would suck the collective IQ out of any room.

57. warewolf94 says: Sep 24, 2012 10:29 PM

BURN!! Marshall owned him, Sapp is the real retard, with the Jeremy Shockey accusation and being the worst analyst on TV

58. ocho says: Sep 24, 2012 10:35 PM

A retarded man could not formulate a response as effective as the one Marshall just issued.

59. bombayjon says: Sep 24, 2012 10:36 PM

I hope Sapp is remembered af a bucceneer and not a Raider. Never

60. 3yardsndust says: Sep 24, 2012 10:37 PM

Time to fire Sapp from NFL Network. He can barely speak English, and his “analysis” is worthless. In five years, this guy will be sleeping under an overpass and blaming everyone else for his misfortune. Schmuck.

61. ademell1 says: Sep 24, 2012 10:42 PM

ROASTED.

There is no way anything Warren Sapp can say or do to make fans believe he is not the guy Marshall is describing. Mainly because a lot of us have known this for years with the incidents and dumb stuff that’s come from Sapp.

Marshall getting Sapp back on something he should never EVER be allowed to say as an analyst – love it.

62. drewbozeman says: Sep 24, 2012 10:43 PM

Sapp better watch out. I have a feeling he is walking on very thin ice at NFL Network. He should be worrying about losing his main source of income rather than criticizing Brandon Marshall.

63. rtk23 says: Sep 24, 2012 10:47 PM

Since when is Sapp a “legend” ?

64. dbronx42 says: Sep 24, 2012 10:49 PM

Brandon is the retarded one. Sapp didn’t even mention how many times Brandon was arrested for Domestic Violence. Or how he and his cousin were the main reason Darren’t Williams was killed.

Look how big of a contradiction he makes in this interview. It’s beyond hilarious.

Marshall said: “You want to surround yourself with good people, Godly people. When I look at Warren Sapp, I can’t go to him and talk about finances because he filed for bankruptcy. I can’t go to him and talk about my marriage because he filed for divorce.”

Yet later says –

You just roasted Sapp FAR WORSE than he roasted you. Guess your soul is pretty messed up huh?

65. geniusfan says: Sep 24, 2012 10:52 PM

Wow Marshall destroyed Sapp. I’ve never seen a player light into a media member like this.

66. beerbudsnbevo says: Sep 24, 2012 10:54 PM

Thus the term “Slap ‘em with your tongue”

I would suggest Sapp should change the subject quickly

67. onebucplace says: Sep 24, 2012 10:55 PM

“mialto says: Sep 24, 2012 10:15 PM

To BM – you are a truly bigger man in this story, you have publicly shared your demons, unlike others.”

Words only have the power you allow them to have. You know what Sapp meant, you choose to be a victim, thus you get no sympathies from me. If he walked up to you directly and called your kid that you’d have every right in the world to get angry and I’d agree with you. To fake outrage when you know for a fact that he used the word in a different context is just more fake PC nonsense.

68. jpb12 says: Sep 24, 2012 10:57 PM

Warren Sapp is bankrupt. Financially and morally.

Marshall still has his money. Sapp stole Al Davis’ money when he went to Oakland. Quit.

Not sure how he has a job. Can’t think of a worst analyst

69. oggj says: Sep 24, 2012 10:58 PM

I want to say something about how mature Brandon Marshall appears… but at the same time, aren’t there enough signs of the apocolypse already out there?

Well played, Brandon…

70. bengalskuta82 says: Sep 24, 2012 10:58 PM

Oh wow! May our good Lord help this two men..unbelieveable, grown men talk like this…

71. chi01town says: Sep 24, 2012 11:02 PM

Tell Sapp to go his big bar-b-Q eating fat azz home some where. We been tired of his mouth. Brandon Marshall is in the league still getting a pay cheak an Sapp is doing the only thing left he can do…
    Talk crap

72. orangecrush1 says: Sep 24, 2012 11:11 PM

Shannon Sharpe never had a 100 catch season. 87 was the most he had. However; Rod Smith did in consecutive seasons. Also Ed McCaffery had a 100 catch season. Sapp doesn’t know what he is talking about.

73. kindbass says: Sep 24, 2012 11:15 PM

Spoken like a true retard.

74. larryboodry says: Sep 24, 2012 11:15 PM

As good a player as Sapp was, he was an idiot then, and he’s an even bigger idiot now…Using the word retard is bad, using it to reference someone struggling with BPD (or any mental illness) is worse, and just showcases Sapp’s arrogant cluelessness and moral bankruptcy.

Brandon Marshall, since coming to the Bears, has been great, exhibiting none of the behavior patterns so many others insisted we’d see. I am thrilled for him that his BPD treatment is working, and wish him the best.

As for Sapp, him I simply wish gone.

75. vergaking82 says: Sep 24, 2012 11:19 PM

Warren Sap it’s an idiot! Period.

76. dlc618 says: Sep 24, 2012 11:22 PM

Sapp was an idiot on the field.. Now an idiot on TV and radio.

77. fdugrad says: Sep 24, 2012 11:28 PM

At this point, I am wondering exactly what the collective IQ of the “Brain Trust” of the NFL Network is. In ALL the sport community, is there not ANY other commentator/host/personality that they can hire? The fact that Sapp would use this term says many things about him–NONE of them good. Marshall’s response was well said. If he had added how loathsome this term is to individuals and families across this country, his response would have been perfect. Sapp, please ooze away. NFL, PLEASE do the right thing.

78. robigd says: Sep 24, 2012 11:32 PM

The worst part of this article is that Brandon Marshall is thinking of breeding one day.

79. peytonsneck18 says: Sep 24, 2012 11:34 PM

(In my eddie Murphy voice from coming to America ) YESSSSS IN DEE FACE! !!!!!!!

80. t22odd says: Sep 24, 2012 11:36 PM

Kudos to Marshall’s lawyer or Bears public relations for typing this up for him…..

81. cover2blitz0 says: Sep 24, 2012 11:38 PM

From a bucs fan way to go Brandon Marshall. Sapp is his own biggest fan and he’s all he has. Sapp was great on the field but off he leaves a lot to be desired as a fellow “human” being. Marshall has issues as we all do but at least he’s open and honest and doesn’t pass judgement on others

82. monsterofyourgirlsmidway says: Sep 24, 2012 11:41 PM

@drew the TWIT. I don’t consider any WR “useless” when he can get a 1000 yards in MIAMI with no qb. Say what you want about his actions off the field but he’s a beast on the field. Your ignorance exceeds that of Warren Sapp you loser. Way to go.

83. magicpiper says: Sep 24, 2012 11:55 PM

I agree with Marshall and I’m happy he took the high road to do it. And despite knowing what type of person Warren Sapp is, I find it highly offensive that he chose to all him a “retard”. Thats derogatory to those who have to live with the condition and their families and supporters. Because of that, I went to the NFL Network site and emailed them saying that Warren Sapp needs to apologize. Had a current player said that, you better believe they’d be forced to issue a public apology the next day. The NFL Network needs to reign Sapp in or get rid of him. He will be their downfall. Listen to Marshall, be careful who you take advice from.

84. fazsha says: Sep 25, 2012 12:07 AM

I score that as a TKO. Great job Brandon.

85. cubsisles72 says: Sep 25, 2012 12:08 AM

“relevance for the past”? Didn’t he mean “reverence for the past”? Guess Sapp is the retard. Please take him off the air. He is an ignoramus.

86. easyeddie says: Sep 25, 2012 12:10 AM

Hey Sapp, what does “These kids that play the game today have no relevance for the past, have no conscious of what it is” mean?
    The correct words are “reverence” and “consciousness.”. But I suppose we can’t expect a retard to know the difference.

87. assassins14 says: Sep 25, 2012 12:13 AM

The encouraging thing here is that Brandons comment are coming from a place of learned behavior, meaning he has been participating in therapy which is recommended with his issues. I applaud you Brandon and keep up the hard work, your actions will become natural if they already haven’t. I have a lot of respect for you and it has nothing to do with catching the football!

88. bedabear says: Sep 25, 2012 12:20 AM

I said it before and I’ll say it again. Sapp is better at running his mouth than running down QB’s.

89. 2ndaryinsanity says: Sep 25, 2012 12:34 AM

Brandon Marshall was diagnosed with, and is being treated for Borderline Personality Disorder…which includes long-term patterns of unstable or turbulent emotions. These emotions often causes patients to take impulsive actions and have chaotic relationships. Symptoms include: frequent displays of inappropriate anger; feelings of emptiness and bordom; impulsiveness (with money, substance abuse, sexual relationships, binge eating); intolerance of being alone; repeated crises and acts of self-injury such as wrist cutting or overdosing.
    Treatment includes extensive therapy and possibly medications to lessen mood swings.
    Brandon Marshall could have kept his condition quiet, because there are still a lot of misconceptions and negativity when it comes to mental illness (especially one that is not very familiar to many people). By speaking up, Marshall can possibly help/inspire others.
    I wish him happiness and sucess both on and off the football field

90. raidertone26 says: Sep 25, 2012 12:37 AM

Hilarious!! Sapp is a hypocrite. Pay me is what he told Al Davis, and “team” is a word he never used when he was with the raiders. He’s a joke.

91. cowboyscanada says: Sep 25, 2012 12:38 AM

Never liked Sapp as a player or tv guy. Not the brightest guy in the world.

92. mputelli55 says: Sep 25, 2012 12:39 AM

Better look for a new job sapp…. like how’s about.. “would you like fries with that?” Hahahaha

93. crise40g says: Sep 25, 2012 2:35 AM

Who gives a rat’s arse what Sapp thinks.

94. draconian1111 says: Sep 25, 2012 3:43 AM

Damn Warren! Nice glass house!
    You threw a stone….and…BOOM!

95. purplepeter says: Sep 25, 2012 4:48 AM

Respectfully disrespected. I like it. Brandon Marshall may have his flaws but I honestly believe he is working hard to become A better man and he is headed in the. Right direction.

96. randallflagg52 says: Sep 25, 2012 4:49 AM

Some alert the burn ward at the hospital, because Sapp just got torched!

97. johnnyjagfan says: Sep 25, 2012 7:58 AM

That was awesome, Brandon.

My old boss used to say “we’re not going to react, we are going to respond.”

Marshall must have picked that up somewhere along the way.

98. sufferingphilsfan says: Sep 25, 2012 8:51 AM

donald trump filed for bankruptcy..would you not take advice from him about money?

99. chadsay says: Sep 25, 2012 9:37 AM

“I can’t go to him for shoe advice because he auctioned off his Jordans…”

100. infectorman says: Sep 25, 2012 10:01 AM

How on earth is Warren Sapp allowed to say anything anymore?

Were I in charge of an advertising budget, I’d sooner allocate funds to the spots on the Jerry Springer Show than ANYTHING that actually broadcasts images and sounds that emanate from this titanic imbecile… What corporation wants to have their product or service associated with this guy? Seriously?

@ onebucplace:
    should you be lucky enough to have children, pray they are healthy and not mentally challenged…as you appear to be

101. steveb9995 says: Sep 25, 2012 11:09 AM

So Marshall is a diva and Sapp is a loudmouth. This is news how?

102. captainrick2285 says: Sep 25, 2012 2:05 PM

Marshall is right . He has made mistakes. Otherwise he would be with his original team. Sapp is a jerk but he is right. Shannon was the first BACK TO BACK 100 reception receiver. I thought Art was great but Shannon was first. Meanwhile…What did Marshall say about Sharp?

103. larryboodry says: Sep 25, 2012 9:22 PM

sufferingphilsfan says: Sep 25, 2012 8:51 AM

——————————-

I don’t know details on either man’s bankruptcies, but I would still take financial advice from Trump because still possesses a functioning brain.

104. onebucplace says: Sep 26, 2012 12:51 AM

infectorman – When you say how can Sapp be allowed to say these things — that makes you a PC Nazi. What that means is you don’t believe in free speech because there’s limits to it. If someone says something you don’t like you publicly campaign to have that person shut-up. Rather than say “Sapp is a real a-hole” you say he shouldn’t be allowed to say that. You’re a very stupid person, an awful human and overall, you’re extremely retarded.

105. larryboodry says: Sep 26, 2012 5:59 AM

@ onebucplace:

You are entitled to your opinions, and to express them, no matter how ignorant they make you appear…And yes, Warren Sapp is allowed that same right.

However, unlike you, Sapp is employed by NFL Network, a large media outlet that pays him well to represent them on-air…If something he says (like calling Brandon Marshall a retard because Marshall is struggling to conquer a mental illness) offends a large group of folks, this reflects badly on his employer as well as on Sapp, and could potentially cost them sponsors and subscribers…Thus, they have the right to fire him over this, especially since it has become a pattern with him.

Or look at it another way…If I don’t like my co-workers, and bad-mouth them all day at work, my boss would ask me to stop, and fire me if I continued…But after work at the bar, I’m free to say whatever I want…Just like Sapp can call Marshall a retard privately, and NFL Network would have no beef with him.

Freedom of speech is a fundamental right, but does not come without consequences if you don’t know when it is best to keep your mouth shut.

Just sayin’.

106. truecowboyfan says: Sep 27, 2012 4:28 AM

Nice Marshall, Well thought out response.

Sapp is one of the most annoying people in the world to listen to and watch on TV.