DHB released from hospital, is expected to make full recovery

Getty Images

After a scary moment on Sunday, after a helmet-to-helmet hit from Steelers safety Ryan Mundy that left Raiders receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey motionless on the field for several minutes, the team has announced that Heyward-Bey has been released from the hospital, after spending the night under observation.

“He is resting at home with a concussion and neck strain, and expected to make a full recovery,” the Raiders said.

It’s great news regarding what looked to be a much more serious injury at the time.

Heyward-Bey will not be permitted to play until he passes all league-mandated concussion tests, which are administered by an independent neurologist.

53 responses to “DHB released from hospital, is expected to make full recovery

1. Wonderful to hear. Rest up and don’t come back to football until you’re ready. Raider Nation’s got your back.

2. It was not a helmet to helmet hit. Mundy went for the chest and his helmet slid up into DHB’s chin/facemask area. No flag thrown. Let’s get the facts correct.

3. Good to hear. Tough to believe that wasn’t flagged for H2H & defenseless receiver, though I shouldn’t be with the performances of the officials.

4. Devastating hit.. glad he’s going to be ok.. hats off to the Raiders and their fans…. seems like everyone came together for those guys after the hit…
    – Steelers Fan

5. Well thats a blessing…….It seems once a guy gets a concussion, the second, and so on, are
    much easier to get. Once you crack you coconut, it seems as if it is never the same again. Small hits will knock you out. I mean it was not so long ago in last years game when DHB had to get carted off as well….I just hope this has no lingering long term effects.

Go Raiders!

6. Great news. Hope to see him on the field soon.

DHB is becoming the solid NFL receiver that Mr. Davis had envisioned.

Look for the RAIDERS to roll the broncos up in denver, Week 4.

7. Thank God for this news. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Haven’t seen Mundy’s hit, so I can’t comment on that. But watching the LSU-Auburn game Saturday night, I couldn’t believe how many players on both offense and defense deliberately lowered their heads and ran helmet-first into their opponents’ helmets. They looked like rams butting heads in a pasture. If no one’s attempting to teach proper tackling technique in college, no wonder it’s an issue when they get to the pros.

8. Will he make it back by next week?. . .is this a selfish thought?, cuz i feel like it is, but i just want my raiders to win!

9. God bless you DHB! I hope you have an easy recovery. Your a true leader and an outstanding young man. The Raiders rallied around DHB after his injury and worked hard to close out the Steel Curtain by scoring the last 13 points of the game. It was amazing to watch and I just wonder if this win will turn on the light bulb for the Silver and Black. I’m sure DHB will bs out for a few weeks just to caution on the safe side. That means Denarius Moore will have to play the X and either Streater or Hagan will have to man the Y. This would be a good time for Rookie Juron Criner to step up and display his talent on the grand stage. This kid can play and it’s too bad that he’s injured as well. DHB we are going to miss your leadership on and off the field. But the team must rise above the challenge and knock Peyton Manning and the Denver Donkeys into oblivion. Peace.

10. MUNDY launched himself head first at DHB(hands at his sides) then on the game winning drive he went helmet to helmet again with Brandon Meyers TE, he also now has a concusssion.

he should be fined for both hits and a 1 game suspension.

I could see Polamalu talking to Mundy on the sidelines about that hit on DHB.

Raiders win.

11. Praise God for that news and no, I am not surprised that it was a Steeler that did it. Worse yet Im not surprised that Steeler fans are defending the hit. Theyve gotten so used to seeing/playing dirty football that it all looks good to them.

12. The DEN LB had a much worse looking knock out play on special teams….both scary.

football is an idiotic sport really….love it though…count me an idiot.

13. Glad to hear. That was a scary few minutes. I was so relieved when he gave that thumbs up as he was going off the field.

14. Carson was late with some balls in traffic and I think there was another play were the wideout almost got decapitated.

15. Troy probably told him to not change a thing. Keep it up. Raider fans don’t get too excited. You know Carson Palmer is still your QB. And Pryor as a backup? Wow great QB’s!

16. Tough hit. Glad to hear he’s ok. Also saw the look on T. Romo’s face when he got popped. Not a fan of Oakland or Dallas, but a HUGE fan of not EVER seeing dudes layed out like that.

17. Good news. I turned in after he was on the cart and when I saw the paramedic fold DHB’s arms across his chest (instead of DHB doing it himself) I feared the worst until DHB gave the thumbs up.

18. ncsteeler83 says: Sep 24, 2012 3:22 PM

———————————————————

Umm you know you lost the game, right?

19. 808raiderinparadise says:
    Sep 24, 2012 3:00 PM
    ——————————
    I saw that too and thought that either he’s coached to play like that or is so incompetent that he shouldn’t be on the field. He drove Myers head into the ground with his helmet. I don’t think LeBeau or Tomlin condone that kind of play – they seem like good guys. There is a difference between playing physical and using your helmet as a weapon. Love and respect to DHB as he recovers. And Myers too.

20. “which are administered by an independent neurologist” That is paid by the league. Independent my arse.

Get well soon DHB but don’t come back until YOU know you are well. The NFL doesn’t last forever but traumatic brain injuries do.(a “neck strain” doesn’t leave you motionless on the field for 10+ minutes)

21. Pretty sick that Steeler fans, who are butt-hurt about our recent several wins against them,NCSteeler23, you are a sorry punk . Come to Oakland and talk to me, foolio!!

22. ncsteeler83 says: Sep 24, 2012 2:35 PM

———————————-

You’re right. It wasn’t a helmet to helmet hit. It was a helmet crown to chin hit; an even WORSE and illegal hit. Nothing “slid” up to his chin. Mundy lowered his head and blindly angled high. Poor technique and an illegal result per NFL Rule 12 Section 2 Article 7(a) and 7(b).

23. ncsteeler83 says: Sep 24, 2012 3:22 PM

——————————————–

And this coming from a fan who’s team got BEATEN by our Carson Palmer…SMH

BTW, Matt Leinart is the backup to Carson Palmer…not Terelle Pryor. But hey, what’s a little thing like facts to get in the way?

24. Glad to hear he’s better. I’m sure the concussion will go away before that neck pain, it was probably better his body went limp, but man that had to be some bad whiplash. I’m just worried about his longevity now, didn’t he get hauled off on a stretcher last year or the year before because of a bad hit to the head? Don’t know how many more of those he can take.

25. To be fair it wasn’t a helmet a helmet hit — it was a helmet to face-mask hit and it didn’t even look all that bad at the moment it happened. Must have just got him at a bad angle I suppose. But good to hear he’s going to be OK.

26. onebucplace…are you frickin’ serious? You and ncsteeler83 need to go crawl under a rock. It was a BLATANT launch at a defenseless receiver and was most definitely helmet to helmet.

And if you didn’t think it looked ‘all that bad’, then I can only hope you get hit like that someday…and we all get to see it.

27. the steelers have some passionate fans, but let’s call it like it is. this was clearly a helmet to helmet, helmet to chin/fasemask or head to head hit. However you want to say it, call it like it is. don’t come on here and try to argue the facts. There should have been a flag. There should be a fine. I don’t think there should be a suspension. I don’t think it’s fair to fine one player and suspend another player just because the person he hit got injured. I think this is Mundy’s first offense.

Come on steelers fans, be realistic and just admit it. when you try to make excuses and say it’s not something it clearly was you sound like a fool. it was a helmet to helmet hit. we got beat in oakland because we couldn’t get off the field on 3rd down and our redzone defense stunk. in fact, the defense stunk the whole game.

sincerely,

a steelers fan that calls it like it is

28. ncsteeler83 says: Sep 24, 2012 2:35 PM

These are the facts. Your team couldn’t run the ball. They couldn’t hang on to the ball. The defense stinks. The quarterback faked an injury and flopped like a soccer player in a failed attempt to get a flag. Mundy hit what he was aiming for. The Steelers lost a game they should have easily won.

29. calibear831 says: Sep 24, 2012 2:48 PM

*************************************************
    Absolutely no way he plays this Sunday.

The Raiders have a bye after the Denver game, he should be back for the game after the bye.

30. As a football fan, it was kinda fun seeing some old school hitting going on this weekend. At the same time, you never wanna see a guy not get up from a hit like DHB took. After watching some of the hits this week, I definitely understand why player safety is top priority. Get well soon DHB and glad to hear that you’re gonna be okay.

31. This is what I saw on the last drive Ziggy Hood being blocked by a O lineman and cut by #79 behind his legs at the same time. A very dirty play I don’t know who taught him how to do this, but I hope the NFL fines him the Max for this very dirty cheap shot and his intent was very clear to end Ziggy Hoods career. Other than that a good win for Oakland

32. #79 you cheap shot artist I hope that the rest of the NFL has seen your work and have a plan for the rest of what I hope will be a very short career you get back what you give out!!!

33. Very glad to hear this news! Get well DHB, hope to see you suited up and back out on the turf as soon as you’re up to it.