Drops put Greg Little’s role with Browns in jeopardy

Cleveland Browns v Cincinnati Bengals Getty Images

Browns wide receiver Greg Little had the second most drops in the NFL last season and he’s picking up right where he left off.

Little dropped his second pass in three games on third down to kill a drive on Sunday and had a second ball go through his hands. It doesn’t go down as a drop only because Josh Gordon was able to catch it before it hit the turf. Browns coach Pat Shurmur said Monday that Little’s going to have to start catching the ball if he wants to keep his job.

“We can’t play a guy that’s going to drop footballs,” Shurmur said, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Shurmur said good things about Little’s work ethic, but said that there could be a change if Little continues to struggle with catching the ball. And it probably wouldn’t hurt if Little stopped doing his Usain Bolt impression after catches like a 17-yarder that got wiped out by a penalty on center Alex Mack on Sunday.

“I can’t speak for everyone else, but I’ve had my conversations with him about that. That can be said. Now whether people see me ranting and raving on the sideline at a player – trust me, I have my conversations with him,” Shurmur said.

Any changes to the Browns receiving corps are complicated by the fact that Mohamed Massaquoi injured his hamstring on Sunday. With just a few days before they have to return to the field against Baltimore, it’s a safe bet that Little will get at least one more chance in his current role.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Drops put Greg Little’s role with Browns in jeopardy”
  1. totallyuselessme says: Sep 24, 2012 3:47 PM

I like the kid and I like that he works hard and wants to be a great football player. You wish there were more guys like that.

But you gotta catch the ball, man. That’s just all there is to it. I hope he can get this on track. I know it took Heyward-Bey awhile. Even if he never lived up to his draft status, he’s still productive these days. Maybe Little will get it down soon.

2. thevza says: Sep 24, 2012 4:00 PM

Coincidentally, I “dropped” Greg Little from my fantasy team after Week 1.

3. avengersevn says: Sep 24, 2012 4:06 PM

Braylon 2.0

4. kane337 says: Sep 24, 2012 4:11 PM

Nice use of one of the four Julio Jones picks. Maybe the Browns should have picked Julio. lol

5. themanchine says: Sep 24, 2012 4:12 PM

Plax has good hands, is an EXCELLENT redzone threat, and has done a good job helping to develop young QB’s. Ben, Eli, hell Sanchez was even good in the redzone last yr.

6. golfdude65 says: Sep 24, 2012 4:20 PM

Bring in Plaxico to work with these young guys and at the same time play and catch the ball

7. doe22us says: Sep 24, 2012 4:20 PM

Players get too self absorbed with themselves. Act like you have been there before and this is in reference to the the over the top celeberations on either making a first down catch or stopping someone after they have made the first down. The most egregious of them is when someone is jubilating when their team is getting their backsides handed to them. I saw the Steelers/Raiders game in its entirety, and i thought Antonio Brown was going to blow up, anytime he made a catch. Slow down there habibi.

8. td40 says: Sep 24, 2012 4:59 PM

You gotta love the way this guy contributes next to nothing to the team, often embarrassing himself by dropping passes, getting smothered in coverage, running poor routes, or having a much smaller DB take the ball right out of Little’s hands for an INT (Philly game)- and then, on the rare occassion he actually does what he’s getting paid more money than I’ll ever see in my life to do, he gloats and celebrates like he just won the Super Bowl.

Idiot.

9. joemammy says: Sep 24, 2012 5:04 PM

If Shurmer needs to open up a roster spot for a free agent receiver, like Plax, he can very easily drop Owen Marecic off at the bus station.

I promise that no one will miss him…or care.

10. oldcracker says: Sep 24, 2012 5:12 PM

In this time of PASSING football, and the Browns leading the NFL in drops, the freaking GM, yes the man responsible for the draft, doesn’t see WR as a NEED!!!

How do I get his job??????

11. kwjsb says: Sep 24, 2012 5:56 PM

Soooo,
    Am I reading this wrong, It was fine for Browns recievers to drop 41 passes from McCoy but not acceptable to drop them from Weeden?
    This team is not that bad, but we need playmakers at T.E. & reciever. You cannot win if your outside guys do not scare the other team, and if they do not scare the other team, no running back will get room to run.
    But then again, i don’t make a million $$ a year judging NFL talent.

12. billsfan1 says: Sep 24, 2012 6:35 PM

the browns may have the worst WR corp in the league.. its a shame, you have a stud LT, what appears to be a really good rb and i see potential in Wheeden…. but he has to have somebody to throw too..

13. ytownjoe says: Sep 24, 2012 10:04 PM

Usain Bolt impression? It’s more like a Stepin Fetchit impression.

14. hikohadon says: Sep 24, 2012 10:24 PM

“I will always remember GM Heckert’s response, after the draft, about passing on WR’s early on in the draft for Weinke 2.0. He said he didn’t see WR as a “NEED” for the Browns. (Yet, he gives up a 2nd round pick next year for WR Josh Gordon)

How do I get his job??????”
    ________________

Could be he said that since they took the WR (Kendall Wright) he wanted right before that pick, and only a fool would draft a WR just draft one if you don’t have one rated that high. You want Brian Quick at 22 just so you can say you drafted a WR?

We’re happy you don’t have his job.

15. dirtybird28 says: Sep 24, 2012 11:26 PM

Colt or Weeden, no talented pass-catchers translates into too few offensive scores.

16. gallogj says: Sep 25, 2012 9:44 AM

Maybe his hands were tired from tweeting how much he DOESN’T CARE! He’s garbage…should be benched.

17. daveincleveland says: Sep 25, 2012 7:56 PM

Whether or not Greg starts is of no consequence to me. My interest is whether or not the offense will continue to lack imagination after Childress or Jauron takes over as interim head coach on October 17th.

18. TurkeyJoeJones says: Sep 25, 2012 11:00 PM

I know who will lead the Browns in drops this year. Its going to be Jimmy Haslam when he drops Big Mike, Coach Pat and Tom Heckert from his payroll.

19. sean222 says: Sep 26, 2012 7:43 AM

I think since this season is already a bust, let’s bring in Chad Johnson. Wide receivers can’t get worse and he will at the very least, get this team some press other than being the worst team in the NFL.