Jim Schwartz offers no comment on Matthew Stafford’s MRI

Detroit Lions v Tennessee Titans Getty Images

Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford left Sunday’s 44-41 overtime loss to the Titans late in the fourth quarter with a leg injury.

Those interested in his status for this week’s game against the Vikings will have to wait a little longer. Stafford had an MRI on Monday, but Lions coach Jim Schwartz didn’t offer any updates about the quarterback’s status when he met with the media later in the day.

“I don’t have any comment,” Schwartz said when asked about the results of Stafford’s MRI, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. Birkett also reports that Schwartz said he’d make a determination about his quarterback on Friday.

There didn’t seem to be a tremendous amount of concern about Stafford’s injury, which was described variously as a muscle strain or pull and which originally happened during practice last week, after the game. Waiting until Friday to name a starter, if that’s what actually plays out, suggests that there’s some uncertainty about his status.

Shaun Hill led the Lions to tie the game on a Hail Mary at the end of regulation, but the Titans prevailed in overtime of the wildest game that went down on Sunday. He would start in the event that Stafford is unable to play, something that would leave the offense in decent enough hands in Stafford’s absence.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
23 Responses to “Jim Schwartz offers no comment on Matthew Stafford’s MRI”
  1. 808raiderinparadise says: Sep 24, 2012 3:02 PM

Well last year Stafford guaranteed to play injury free all year.

Did he forget this year?

2. dagon27 says: Sep 24, 2012 3:02 PM

Love Shaun Hill! That helmet-less run for a first down against the Cardinals (he was a 49er at the time) on a Monday night a few seasons ago won me over. Not the greatest arm, but the dude has moxie.

3. hankhill says: Sep 24, 2012 3:03 PM

Jim Schwartz is so annoying. I feel bad that great players like Stafford, Megatron…heck even Shaun Hill…have to be led by a coach so hard to like.

4. det12 says: Sep 24, 2012 3:05 PM

IMHO I don’t think these is a new injury I said before that I thought Stafford had a injury because of his play I think he prole aggrevated it in the 49ers game when he tried 2 slide & it was kinda a awkward slide where it looked like he wasn’t really down & the game Sunday against the Titans he kinda fell the same way on a scramble play I could b wrong but I think it had something to do with the injury occurring on the chase down play

5. shaggytoodle says: Sep 24, 2012 3:06 PM

The Lions will be 1-3 after this weekend if they dont get thier stuff together.

6. noeffinway says: Sep 24, 2012 3:09 PM

Hill is an excellent QB. I believe he could be the starter on many teams in the league. Stafford will certainly be missed if he sits out this week, but we can definitely win with Hill. GO LIONS!

7. thekiy says: Sep 24, 2012 3:10 PM

They didn’t even ice it on the sideline. He’ll be fine.

Sadly I can’t say the same thing about the defense and special teams.

8. hehateme1 says: Sep 24, 2012 3:11 PM

He will be okay! He just needs to get rolling. Time for our run at the Superbowl! Its about time Lions fans!!! The first of many.

9. daburgher says: Sep 24, 2012 3:13 PM

man stafford is fragile… Hill is a solid QB.. i think they will manage if stafford has to miss some time

10. thepvyharvin says: Sep 24, 2012 3:13 PM

Please update us soon Schwartzy,,,the Vikings D wants to know whats on the menu Sunday,,,Cherry Boy Stafford or Szechuan Sean Hill. Either one is getting gobbled up!

11. cowboyhater says: Sep 24, 2012 3:14 PM

Does anyone have a QB I can grab off of waivers? I hate Fantasy Football!

12. mvp43 says: Sep 24, 2012 3:16 PM

Hmm……… that doesn’t sound good. He has such good people skills though…

13. dukemarc says: Sep 24, 2012 3:17 PM

Shaun Hill is one of the better backups in the league but the Lions aren’t winning more than 8 games with him as their starter.

14. Johnb21 says: Sep 24, 2012 3:17 PM

This is not news. Stafford said himself after the game that it was a strained calf muscle and that he just aggregated it after it occurred during the week in practice.

Also, Schwartz never talks about injuries… he has always been that way

15. Deb says: Sep 24, 2012 3:19 PM

Hope Stafford is okay. This guy has so much talent–if he could just stay healthy. As a Steelers fan, I have no rooting interest, but I’ve enjoyed seeing the Lions competitive again.

16. erod22 says: Sep 24, 2012 3:20 PM

Don’t worry, he doesn’t have a comment now, but before he takes the delay of game and kicks a field goal, he’ll accidentally comment anway.

17. ahs2 says: Sep 24, 2012 3:20 PM

That’s how they roll; no surprise to the fans or local media but still frustrating…

18. ahs2 says: Sep 24, 2012 3:27 PM

hankhill says:
    Sep 24, 2012 3:03 PM
    ———————————————-
    Right, because he treats his players the same as fans and internet posters.

19. purpleguy says: Sep 24, 2012 3:39 PM

I’m more interested in an explanation how there can be an offensive miscommunication on a pivotal 4th down play in overtime.

20. pappavike says: Sep 24, 2012 4:04 PM

The Lions are good with either QB at the helm! Vikes vs Lions will be a good game. I just hope the ref’s don’t decide the outcome!!

21. davikes says: Sep 24, 2012 6:12 PM

@cowboyhater – you can probably pick up Ponder. Ponder will probably have decent stats as the game should be a shootout. Neither pass defense is very good. I expect the Vikings to try and run a lot, but I still think the Lions will put a lot of points up and the Vikes will have to throw it to stay in it. Simpson will be back, and the Vikes will have some plays for him that aren’t on film yet.

22. theseekeroffun says: Sep 24, 2012 6:27 PM

Schwartz + Schiano = NO CLASS

23. pappavike says: Sep 25, 2012 2:41 PM

Man I want the regular ref’s back!!! Im a Vikes fan!! And want the packers to lose. But I’m also a football fan first and foremost! The Packers got ROBBED!!!