Pash lockout memo reads like a press release

Miami Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin speaks with officials about a call as his team met the New York Jets during their NFL football game in Miami Reuters

The NFL has updated its clubs regarding the negotiations with locked-out game officials via a memo from general counsel Jeff Pash.  It looks and feels like a press release.

Adam Schefter of ESPN has obtained the document, which addresses the recent negotiations between the two sides and addresses the areas of discrepancy that remain, from the perspective of the league.

Pash explains that, in addition to last week’s discussions, that parties met for six hours on Saturday and nine hours on Sunday.  The session on Sunday involved a federal mediator, who has no specific power over the two sides but who has tried to get them to reach an agreement.  Commissioner Roger Goodell participated in the weekend discussions.

The memo explains that significant gaps remain on all issues, and that the officials’ most recent proposal is “unacceptable in numerous important respects.”

Pash explains that the officials now want a shorter deal, at six years instead of seven, along with only a 10-percent reduction in their request for increased pay and a “ratification bonus” aimed in part to pay the locked-out officials for the weeks that they have missed.

And here’s the summary of the league’s position, which perhaps can best be described as being for the benefit of the media, since the clubs already should know what was being offered: “Game officials on average earned almost $150,000 in 2011. Prior to the start of the lockout, we proposed a 7-year deal that would have increased average game official’s compensation more than 7 percent to just over $161,000 in 2012, and further increase that average to more than $189,000 by 2018. In addition, we have offered a generous defined contribution retirement plan, with average contributions of $16,500 in 2012, increasing to more than $22,300 per game official by 2018. Officials also receive numerous other benefits, including severance equal to one year’s game fees and postseason bonus, a period of guaranteed ‘time off’ from the end of the season through mid-May of each year, first-class air travel, and
partial reimbursement for medical insurance for officials who do not have insurance through their other jobs.”

Perhaps the line that will raise the most eyebrows appears in the final paragraph: “We recognize that the current officials are under unprecedented scrutiny and we are committed to do all we can to help them continue to improve.”

They’re not improving. And the replay officials (who aren’t replacements) and the league supervisors (who aren’t replacements) aren’t helping.

The broader message?  The league is still circling the wagons, waiting for 61 or more of the 121 locked-out officials to collectively cry “uncle” and to then find a lawyer to draw up the paperwork that will recite, in the appropriate jargon, “uncle.”

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
59 Responses to “Pash lockout memo reads like a press release”
  1. dolphone says: Sep 24, 2012 7:51 PM

They *deserve* to be crying uncle.

150K+, per year? Plus BENEFITS?

Entitled orifices. They can get fired for all I care. We can make do with replacements just fine.

2. dapros says: Sep 24, 2012 7:54 PM

As the Commissioner is fond of saying, “its the integrity of the game that must not be diminished”. And by that, he means the unprecedented profits of his masters, the owners. I thought his mandate was to guard the integrity of the sport, and not just those who own the teams. Silly me.

3. smacklayer says: Sep 24, 2012 7:54 PM

Of course we all want the refgular refs back. But I surprised by all the vitriol towards to the NFL over this issue. It takes two to tango and the locked out refs are just as “greedy” as the owners. If the regualr refs are so “concerned” about the integrity of the game and players getting injured, they should just sign the CBA get back to work.

The point is that boths sides are greedy and from what am reading here, the NFL has given a pretty nice employement offer to them. Time to get back to work.

4. mediasloppy says: Sep 24, 2012 7:54 PM

This is a case study of why Union workers are the best qualified in their job. Make a deal and get the real ref’s back on the field. Everyone needs to bite the bullet in this process and the NFL will still come out ahead…

5. realfann says: Sep 24, 2012 7:55 PM

If the NFL were serious about negotiating a settlement, they would keep the negotiations confidential and not resort to press releases that put words into the locked-out referee’s mouths.

I hate the NFL for destroying our game.

I pray a player does not get permanently hurt because the replacements are letting teams get away with dirty and dangerous plays.

6. sundevils33 says: Sep 24, 2012 7:55 PM

Wow my attention span isn’t that long. Just GET A DEAL DONE

7. onebucplace says: Sep 24, 2012 7:58 PM

So sick hearing about this. Keep these union slobs locked out, hire the guys you have full time and give them benefits. If they screw up, FIRE THEM. That’s the great part about having non-union guys, if they suck, get rid of them. Otherwise pay the guys you have now better than you’d pay otherwise and just break up their crappy union. These people act like it’s 1899 and they’re working in a West Virginia coal mine. They’re a bunch of older men wearing striped shirts and clown pants that determine if a guy has a ball in his hands, stop taking it so seriously.

8. berniemadoffsides says: Sep 24, 2012 7:59 PM

Sign me up for this job immediately! Those salaries are nuts!

9. eagleswin says: Sep 24, 2012 7:59 PM

—————————

Gotta love that they want to get paid for games they haven’t worked. Also they want to reduce the contract length by 15 percent while only dropping salary demands by 10 percent.

Honestly, I don’t really care how many times you sound the alarm. Long term, the best answer for the league is to be able to hold the refs accoutable and have the ability to put the best refs on the field on the week, instead of just the ones who managed to get into the club and learn the secret handshake.

The league has offered a pretty sweet deal to the refs, don’t cry for them.

10. lutazanderman says: Sep 24, 2012 8:05 PM

Make all plays reviewable without the use of challenges for as long as the replacements are working the games!

11. johngavin says: Sep 24, 2012 8:06 PM

Wait. I thought the regular referees had to work other jobs because the NFL gig is only a “part-time job”. You mean to tell me that the average salary is $150,000? Give me that “part-time job”. Look, it’s not revelatory that the NFL is a greedy business. They have a singular, virtually monopolistic hold on their market and so, in America (sigh), they are entitled to squeeze every last drop. And I’m sure they have been real jerks in these negotiations. But, I’m not sure that refs should be getting paid what the players are. I think the NFL’s deal sounds reasonable for what they do.

12. eyeh8goodell says: Sep 24, 2012 8:10 PM

13. grudenlovesthisguy says: Sep 24, 2012 8:11 PM

Guess what NFL? You have no leverage. You can try to make your offer sound as favorable as possible, but the fact of the matter is you have no viable alternative to the real refs and it’s hurting your product.

People here say “Sign me up for this job” but those people would be worse than the scabs. That’s the point.

14. sixburghrules says: Sep 24, 2012 8:14 PM

@realfann says: Sep 24, 2012 7:55 PM

__________________________________
    The real officials will NOT keep a player from getting hurt! If it is going to happen it will happen

15. billsboy88 says: Sep 24, 2012 8:16 PM

$150K a year + benefits and so few work days one can still have another job? Sheesh, sign me up.

But, when the NFL has owners that are billionaires, players that are multi-millionaires (in their 20s no less) and coaches that are millionaires, I can see how the refs got to thinking that they were being short-changed. The replacements have shown that the NFL refs are a very elite group.

16. theysone says: Sep 24, 2012 8:16 PM

I’m an engineer. I make a significant amount less than these guys.

I made a poor career choice, as I have to work year round. (270 days, a year, on average, minus holidays and vacation)

These guys work, what, 60ish days a year, and make tons of mistakes, but still make well into 6 figs and get benefits as if they were full-time employees?

Give me a break! Sign the damn offer, no pay for weeks 1-3, and get your greedy butts back to work!

17. onbucky96 says: Sep 24, 2012 8:20 PM

I backed the league lockout w/the players, but come on man! Pay your officials and let them keep their pension. End of story.

18. onebucplace says: Sep 24, 2012 8:22 PM

eyeh8goodell says: Put it in perspective. They won’t even pay 200K to the guys charged with protecting the integrity of a 9 billion dollar product. If you can’t see that idiocy and sheer greed in that, you’re either stupid or you simply have no concept of a number that high…………a number that dwarfs the GDP of many entire nations on this planet.

———–

I’m pretty sure ANY American solider would take this salary in a moment for a part time job for a game and they protect something a lot more important you self important a ss.

19. 86chawk says: Sep 24, 2012 8:23 PM

This is a joke right? $150,000+ FOR A PART TIME JOB? And quite honestly, the real refs aren’t much better than the replacment refs. This league is seriously turning into a joke from the commish on down.

20. jwayne111 says: Sep 24, 2012 8:25 PM

All the Kings men and horses could care less about the whining.

Stay home refs…your getting nervous (asking for ratification bonus)

Quit talking to them NFL, they will come knocking before long.

21. tfbuckfutter says: Sep 24, 2012 8:27 PM

1) The NFL has no leg to stand on because every week the replacements are embarrassing the league is drastically cutting their leverage.

2) The officials won’t cry “uncle” because as mentioned, most have other regular employment.

and

3) I wish the players would refuse to play under the unsafe conditions the NFL is forcing upon them. That would end things real quick.

Just pony up already before more games are ruined. This is tarnishing the shield WAY more than any TD celebration ever has.

22. tfbuckfutter says: Sep 24, 2012 8:29 PM

86chawk says: Sep 24, 2012 8:23 PM

And quite honestly, the real refs aren’t much better than the replacment refs.

————————————–

That is such a ridiculous statement.

It’s like saying “Tom Brady and Josh McCown are basically the same because Tom Brady also throws incompletions and interceptions some times.”

The difference in the officiating is BEYOND palpable to even the most casual viewer.

23. jbniner says: Sep 24, 2012 8:29 PM

“What is wrong with the NFL’s proposal”? (as it’s outlined above), is a question that the media should be asking the locked out refs.

They’ve offered a raise and a reasonable retirement program with the expectation of greater accountability and ultimately greater referee performance.

The reality is that football is still being played, because of, not in spite of, the NFL. They took the step of getting replacements lined up, with the alternative being a referee’s strike and no football. It’s the refs who are holding the game hostage, and NFL who is trying to hold it together so the show can go on. While it’s true that we all should want the regulars on the job, the NFL simply should not cave.

24. xx4zu1 says: Sep 24, 2012 8:34 PM

Sounds like a good deal to me where can I sign up?

25. gtodriver says: Sep 24, 2012 8:35 PM

eyeh8goodell says:

“Put it in perspective. They won’t even pay 200K to the guys charged with protecting the integrity of a 9 billion dollar product. If you can’t see that idiocy and sheer greed in that, you’re either stupid or you simply have no concept of a number that high…………a number that dwarfs the GDP of many entire nations on this planet.”

That’s 200K per official. 120 officials (currently).

That’s $24,000,000.00 per year.

The question isn’t whether the NFL can afford $24,000,000.00 or not. It’s whether the officials are worth it.

I don’t believe they are – unless they are full time and willing to be held fully accountable (and fireable) for poor performance.

26. FinFan68 says: Sep 24, 2012 8:36 PM

Regardless of your stance for or against unions in general, what is wrong with this offer? I realize that the NFL is going to present it in the best possible light but from a numbers standpoint the average compensation seems like quite a bit.

27. mikea311 says: Sep 24, 2012 8:46 PM

the NFL is trying to and will break the union.

deal with it, there is no point in the constant whining, they aren’t listening…

28. camanda13 says: Sep 24, 2012 8:51 PM

I would think that now that the NFL has forced Time Warner to bend over and pay to add their network to the basic package they’d have some spare millions to pay the refs.

I hope the NFL goes the whole season with these goofs as officials. The negative press is well earned, whether the refs or the league is deemed more greedy in the end. I’m sick of being manipulated by the league. Hiding games on their personal network was a pretty blatant way to extort money. The 18 game season is coming soon. And I shudder at the thought of how much money I owe them for all the times I’ve used the phrase ‘Super Bowl’ without paying them.

29. dickmac says: Sep 24, 2012 8:52 PM

Spoken like a true believer in Willard Romney:)

30. thefirstsmilergrogan says: Sep 24, 2012 8:53 PM

the tipping point will only come when either the locked out refs cave or when some of the more powerful owners in the league (read Kraft, Jones, Mara, Rooney) have enough negative outcome from the obvious botched calls by the woefully outmatched replacement workers. If goodell is getting involved as of today, Kraft made a call.

31. thefirstsmilergrogan says: Sep 24, 2012 8:55 PM

and to the engineer: you obviously aren’t in the top 120 engineers or you would be making more than these guys….

32. drainbameged says: Sep 24, 2012 8:59 PM

dayyuuummm I need to become a ref! That’s alota cheese right there.

33. philliephaninva says: Sep 24, 2012 8:59 PM

“Game officials on average earned almost $150,000 in 2011. ”

This plus all the benefits AND they get the best damn seat in the house! I think I like the replacement refs even more now.

34. mja2001 says: Sep 24, 2012 9:07 PM

For for $160k per year, and my love of the game, I would-

A) Make this my sole job, not a “part-time job”, including watching film of games during the “work-week” to try to train my eye to catch what players are doing to cheat and get away with it

B) Make it my mission during the “work-week” to actually read/know the rule book by heart so I could get it right on gameday.

C) Watch tape to see how other crews work a game

D) Treat it like a real job and not a hobby when I’m not selling insurance Monday-Friday.

These refs, as good as they are compared to an entire fresh rookie crew working a game, have abused the really wonderful position they had for the most part. The good officials, there are some, are brought down by the ones just enjoying a cush job with great travel.

The point is, as an organization, the officials union failing to hold their refs to a high standard created this situation.

It makes for some painful watching this season, true. Ask those of us that watched the PIT/OAK game… the refs scored a bonus 11 points for Oakland between an obvious hold on the corner during McFadden’s long run uncalled and an offside that was actually illegal motion inside the 10 for OAK for a first down, then touchdown 1 play later. I say 11 and not 14 bonus points since a legit field goal was about 95% sure-thing at that point.

Next year will be better, and at least replacement refs will know they have to WORK at their job to keep it.

(ps, for those that will argue that 2nd flag I mentioned was proper, the defensive lineman was back out of the zone after NO contact with the offensive line, well before the offensive lineman “jumped”. He wasn’t induced, he was acting like he was scared out of his stance a full second after the fact, it was like a bad fake fall in soccer… but it worked. The Sunday night game officials correctly called the same type of issue in their game, illegal motion not off-sides. I really want to see officials call a good game, it isn’t much to ask for really.)

35. geniusfan says: Sep 24, 2012 9:07 PM

Noooooo. The replacements need to go back to Foot Locker like Brandon Spikes said. They are ruining the integrity and credibility of the NFL. I can’t even sit here and tell you who plays well and who doesn’t anymore. The replacements change the rules as games go along and call things differently throughout the game.

There is no consistency here. How can Julian Edelman get called for offensive pass interference when Torrey Smith doesn’t? They both did the same thing (namely nothing) but Edelman got a penalty.

I’ve loved NFL football since I was 7 years old. But now for the first time I don’t really want to watch it anymore. The refs are making this league impossible to enjoy.

36. stickyditka says: Sep 24, 2012 9:08 PM

I’m an attorney and McCaskey, Rooney, and Mara all make more money than me (by a lot more than the refs do, too.)

Obviously, I made the wrong parental decision.

37. skiss68 says: Sep 24, 2012 9:08 PM

The NFL is a 9 billion dollar a year business ans are offering a 7 percent pay raise. That is a joke. I wouldnt sign either just on principal.

38. abninf says: Sep 24, 2012 9:09 PM

I wonder how many of the union refs are posting on here lol. For those of you who are, as you can see you’ve lost the PR war. Not a good time to be a union member in this country in general. If you were really concerned with player safety then you wouldn’t want to keep poorly performing refs from being fired. So I don’t care if you ever step back on an NFL field or not. These replacements are making it more interesting anyway.

39. tdshouldbeinthehall says: Sep 24, 2012 9:13 PM

mediasloppy says:
    Sep 24, 2012 7:54 PM
    ———-
    Union workers are the best qualified is the funniest thing I’ve heard in a long time. Maybe they are better because they get a break every half hour so they are well rested. You can sum up a Union by the fact that they want to get paid for games they didn’t work. I would rather watch the replacements than give in to a union that wants less work and more money for it. You stick with the rest of the sheep and wait for the union to let you know when you can use the toilet, who to vote for, what to say, how to think, and well you get it. Unions are outdated. SHEEP!

40. jsratx says: Sep 24, 2012 9:28 PM

The Golden Rule is… the one with the gold, rules.

41. flsnupe says: Sep 24, 2012 9:28 PM

theysone says:
    Sep 24, 2012 8:16 PM
    I’m an engineer. I make a significant amount less than these guys.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If this is true, you should have either gone to a better school or studied harder.

42. justwinbaby29 says: Sep 24, 2012 9:34 PM

Condi Rice for NFL Commissioner! Roger, it’s time to resign!

43. drasarp says: Sep 24, 2012 9:43 PM

Commissioner Roger Goodell says, “its the integrity of the game that must not be diminished” and that player safety is of paramount importance. Yet, in order to break the game official’s union, he and the owners are glad enough to completely disregard the integrity of the game and the safety of the players. How? By putting unqualified and incompetent replacement officials on the field. That is, officials who have neither enough knowledge nor enough understanding of the professional game to control play or protect the players.

In essence what Goodell and the owners are doing is defrauding the fans and viewing public, in my opinion. They say they are offering officially sanctioned NFL football as their product when what they are now putting forth (by shamelessly using these replacement officials) is a disorderly, confusing and ruleless scuffle! In a word, what Goodell and the owners are doing is a sham.

Because the fans are addicted and have to get their weekly football fix, everyone is accepting these scuffles (this sham) as the real deal. And, Goodell and the owners are laughing all the way to the bank; integrity of the game and player safety be damned.

As for me, I’ll resume watching NFL football when the dispute between Goodell and the game officials is resolved. That is, when the regular officials are back on the field and the real game of NFL football resumes. Until then, I’m not letting myself be duped. I’ll watch some honest entertainment like a good movie.

44. pilonflats says: Sep 24, 2012 9:43 PM

Any man that calls another man a “SCAB” for wanting to do an honest days work to feed his family is himself far worse than a scab.

45. upperdecker19 says: Sep 24, 2012 9:58 PM

$150K a year for someone that is crucial to the quality and safety of the product is nothing when you consider that the boss (Goodell) is making $10 million a year to compromise the quality and safety of the product. Sounds in line with pretty much every industry/company in America.

46. dannythebisforbeast says: Sep 24, 2012 10:38 PM

Good job goodell. Judging by the comments releasing their salaries put fans back in your corner. Not sure why people didn’t think the refs made six figures before you informed them but either way
    Mission accomplished.

Still believe the lockout backfired because the nfl didnt prepare enough to have the replacements more up to speed and gave the regulars more leverage

What more aggravating the fact that the regulars make excellent bank and want more or the replacements are making 150k part time and suck at their job right now.

47. dannythebisforbeast says: Sep 24, 2012 10:46 PM

As the refs just call a terrible hands to the face penalty and then add 5 yards to the run instead of a 5 yard penalty. They are affecting outcomes of the game

48. lbijake says: Sep 24, 2012 10:52 PM

@onebucplace

Great concept. Take 200 returning service men and women to train for the full time replacement job. They have served our country and defended us. Now let us reward them with some jobs. Help the vets!!

49. gnarlesbarkley says: Sep 24, 2012 11:35 PM

These replacement officials are even worse than the NBA officials. I should know.

50. theysone says: Sep 24, 2012 11:52 PM

Well, the SCABS just cost a team a game.

1) Missed the offensive PI on the hail mary, in which #37 of the Packers was blatantly pushed to the ground.

2) #43 of the Packers clearly had control of the ball in the end zone.

Unbelievable.

OUTRAGEOUS! Heads need to roll.

51. flsnupe says: Sep 24, 2012 11:58 PM

I just witnessed the worst call in the history of the NFL. The Packers had the pick. lol

52. garza0080 says: Sep 24, 2012 11:59 PM

If you saw the end of the Monday night game you would know that you have to get this situation resolved, Packers clearly got robed. That was not a Touchdown! Seattle does not deserve that win. Let me ask you a question what if that was a championship game? the winner would not deserve the trophy. Owners if your team lost because of a BS Call would you pay the refs? Pay them after the fact, after losing the ring or the championship. How embarrassing lose a championship over a bad call ridiculous this lock out must be fixed ASAP. Clearly a bad call.

53. garza0080 says: Sep 24, 2012 11:59 PM

54. qwerty007qwerty007 says: Sep 25, 2012 12:12 AM

For everyone screaming for the real refs to bite the bullet and cave, claiming them part time employees (which I guess makes the players part time employees, by the same logic) I present to you exhibit A:

Packers vs Seahawks

Yes, for all the screwups the real guys make, over the seasons – NEVER have we had it this bad.

Maybe they are worth the $150K plus defined benefit retirement package…no?

55. murfdeezy says: Sep 25, 2012 12:16 AM

Most of you jokers are completely missing the point. I am an American soldier and yes I would love $150K a year. I would also love an engineering job that gives me 95 days a year off…what are you crying about? However, that doesn’t make me qualified to design bridges and buildings does it?? You think they are greedy because they work a part time job? I’m willing to bet keeping up with your rule book, constant rule changes, and everything else they do is a full time job. You don’t bag teachers for getting summer vacations…you know why…they still work. They have to prepare for the school year. Regardless, you are talking about paying a handful of guys a few more bucks a year. To pay them all and get a deal done would cost less than a 60 second NFL commercial for f@*k sake. Get real people. Don’t be pissed off because you’re not happy with your life…that’s irrelevant to these negotiations. Yeah, you want their job…just like the scabs did…but at the end of the day…who gives a sh!t….because none of you can do it remotely well. That is the point. It’s a difficult job and it takes a lot of preparation and discipline to stand out there and put it on the line with players, coaches, stadium fans, and millions of people at home judging your every decision everyday. How would you like that at your job?? It’s pocket change for the NFL and they put this little piece out to get you sheep jealous and changing sides. It doesn’t matter that you want their job….football still sucks without the real deal refs. This is not an outrageous request given how much money is being spread around to everyone BUT them. You likely piss and moan about how under appreciated you are at your job and you’re not surrounded by millionaires and billionaires. How would you feel if I guy who works the same season as you and never touches the field makes three or four times what you do?? Didn’t ask yourselves that question did you.?…while you were judging from your high horse. NFL sucks this year…bottom line.

56. eyeh8goodell says: Sep 25, 2012 12:20 AM

—————–

Being prior service myself I always get a kick out of civies who try and pull the “troop card” when they have no logical counterpoint. Have you served? If not, then shut your mouth as you’ve contributed nothing and have no place using military personnel to support your argument . And also speaking as prior service, nobody twisted my arm to join up.

And “self important”? LOL. I didn’t even mention myself in my post. You know what? Don’t even try to talk to a recruiter, as i’m sure your ASVAB score would be so embarrassingly low you’d be sent home to the chorus of laughter as the recruiter tells you to leave the premises.

57. simonbruyn says: Sep 25, 2012 1:25 AM

To everyone who said “if that’s how much they’re getting paid, then sign me up!”, what this whole fiasco has proven is that plain and simple the average joe can’t do the job of NFL refs. Otherwise the replacements would be doing fine.

58. slugacannaduff says: Sep 25, 2012 1:33 AM

I love all the “Sign me up!!” “I’ll take that job!” comments.

Is it so difficult to understand that when you can perform a job that very few others are able to do, you will be well compensated for it?

And it is clear that the replacements — even with exponentially more experience and talent for this task than any of the knuckleheads above — cannot perform to the level of real NFL officials.

What’s this? Calvin Johnson makes 20 million a year? Jeez, I’ll do that! Sign me up!!

59. mwindle1973 says: Sep 25, 2012 6:37 AM

Well, I think now an owner or two may be starting to break ranks. No owner wants to miss hosting a playoff game because of this dispute. Just not cost effective. It’s really too bad this happened to the Pack, because they don’t have an owner who can rant and rave. But I guarantee that the public outcry from this weeks games will be long and unending. It doesn’t matter if the scabs are perfect from this point on. They won’t get the credit if they do. This has pushed it past the breaking point. The league may not realize it. But it’s open season now. I don’t think they keep it quiet anymore. WHen they fine Bellichick it’s going to get worse. He had a question and the ref ran from him. I don’t think he was wrong for trying to grab him and get his attention. I think it’s an over reaction. He did what common sense would tell you to do. All this you can’t touch or yell at a ref crap is just that…crap. The coaches being able to discuss calls with refs is how things often get called right in the end. The scabs won’t go to the sideline when called over. The regular refs do. They know when to ignore the coach and when to go over and hear him out. The fact remains even if they get what they want the NFL refs will be the lowest paid major professional refs still. And the NFL is the richest and biggest professional sport. They should pay the most not the least. And every ref should be full time. Because they need to concentrate year round on improving.