Cam Newton denies report he’s seeing a “mind coach”

New York Giants v Carolina Panthers Getty Images

Would the Panthers like to see Cam Newton grow up? Of course they would.

But they haven’t sent him off for professional help.

On Sunday, ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported Newton was seeing a “mind coach” to help him deal with issues such as the sulking that got him a talking-to from Steve Smith.

But Newton refuted that report Monday, saying he’s sought no such counsel.

I have not hired a sports psychologist,” Newton said, via Jonathan Jones of the Charlotte Observer. “I have no idea where that came from. I have a strong support system in my teammates, coaches and family. My focus is on improving this week and getting ready to play Atlanta.”

Panthers coach Ron Rivera said he had no problem with it if Newton would, saying he’s worked with a sports psychologist for more than 10 years.

“I’ve got a guy on speed dial that is a sports psychologist that I’ve talked with since 1999, and he’s been outstanding with me,” Rivera said. “So I see no issues with it. I think it’s great that he’s trying to be proactive and help himself, if that’s what he’s doing.”

By my clinical diagnosis (after years of training as a shade-tree mind coach), what Newton has is a raging case of being 23. It does not have to be terminal.

He’s also not the first one to fail to win every game in the NFL after enjoying nothing but success in college.

He can go find a throwing coach, a mind coach or an acting coach, but until he learns to adjust to the ups and downs of having to play with people who are every bit as talented as he is, this will continue.

It also doesn’t have to be that hard. The Panthers could use a more consistent pass rush and more consistent play-calling on offense a lot more than they need Dr. Phil to start making house calls.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Cam Newton denies report he’s seeing a “mind coach””
  1. millertime30 says: Sep 25, 2012 8:37 AM

If I were a coach or a GM in any sport, I’d be tempted to have all of my players see a sports psychologist. #GetYoHeadRight

2. saint4life says: Sep 25, 2012 8:44 AM

Cam aka Superman is a head case and always has been. To many people have put him on a pedestal.

3. godofwine330 says: Sep 25, 2012 8:47 AM

@ Gantt’s – “By my clinical diagnosis, what Newton has is a raging case of being 23. It does not have to be terminal. He’s young and talented and charismatic and good-looking, and his 7-12 record as the Panthers starter is unlike anything he’s ever experienced.”

That is spot on. I mean you have it dead to rights. The biggest penalty the biggest stars suffer from is if you are great in college you are just that more likely to get stuck on a floundering franchise where winning isn’t common. The coach is likely new or 1-2 years in and the team probably beat your college team or they wouldn’t win by much. Losing is a disease… …as contagious as bubonic plague. And it sucks.

4. sidelineshot says: Sep 25, 2012 8:56 AM

And the soap opera begins … more sure to come.

5. chc4 says: Sep 25, 2012 9:26 AM

What’s he gonna say after the Falcons woodshed his Panthers this weekend??

6. steeelfann says: Sep 25, 2012 9:26 AM

You can tell by that fake smile.

7. hardate says: Sep 25, 2012 9:29 AM

Stinks of Vince Young 2.0

8. blacknole08 says: Sep 25, 2012 9:32 AM

I love having Cam apart of our team and Cam is our QB. But he is a megalomaniac (as witnessed by his celebration when we were still down by 2 TDs) and needs to check ego. He needs to see a sports psychologists or someone to deal with the pressure that comes with losing in the NFL because he really takes these losses too personally.

With all the success that he has had in the past few years, he is not used to losing. He is used to dominating in games, he is used to being the star. But it’s not about him; we win as a team, we lose as a team. Cam is just the captain steering our ship.

He is very talented and I hope he gets his head right.

9. rickastleydancemoves says: Sep 25, 2012 9:33 AM

In the words of Simple Jack, “I ain’t got a go-go-good brain.”

10. gochargersgo says: Sep 25, 2012 9:42 AM

Morpheus?!?!?!

11. Punk says: Sep 25, 2012 9:43 AM

Dude, if I’m Cam Newton I say, “I am not seeing a mind coach. But that is a really good idea.”

If I were a football player and they told me that wearing a tutu and doing ballet will make me better SIGN ME UP!

If talking to someone once a week to figure out ways to cope with the incredible stress that an NFL quarterback is always under, SIGN ME UP!

What could it hurt? If they told me to wear a particular shoe because it will help me win SIGN ME UP!

I don’t care where the advantage or perceived advantage comes from. You take advantage of everything you can to win football games!

12. marvsleezy says: Sep 25, 2012 10:00 AM

Its just semantics – Of course he didnt hire a mind coach – The team did.

13. ghostofgilchrist says: Sep 25, 2012 10:45 AM

Cam, just look in a mirror and repeat:

“I’m good enough. I’m smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.”

14. citizenstrange says: Sep 25, 2012 10:52 AM

Cam’s been seeing a mind coach forever
    Some kinda druid dudes lifting the veil
    Doing the mind guerrilla
    Some call it magic the search for the grail

Love is the answer and you know that for sure
    Love is a flower you got to let it (you got to let it) grow

15. samapoc says: Sep 25, 2012 11:27 AM

He’s seeing a BRAIN coach!!!

16. sb44champs says: Sep 25, 2012 11:43 AM

Who else would celebrate a score at the end of a game when still down by 2 or 3 TDs? Immature Cam Newton, thats who!!!!!!

17. CKL says: Sep 25, 2012 2:50 PM

There’s nothing wrong with seeing a sports psychologist. I sure hope that Newton isn’t falling into the trap that “to admit one needs outside help is unmanly”. From the quote here, it seems he might feel that way. Maybe someone should tell him that Tom Brady saw one when he was at Michigan and it made a huge difference for him.

18. gostlcards5 says: Sep 25, 2012 10:41 PM

@godofwine330:

Very nice use of the “Heaven Can Wait” reference. I would give you 100 thumbs up if I could!