Ex-Raiders center Barret Robbins released from prison

barretrobbins Getty Images

Barret Robbins, the former Raiders center best remembered for deserting the team on the eve of the Super Bowl, and for later going public about his struggles with mental illness, has been released from prison.

Robbins was released on Tuesday morning from the Dade Correctional Institute, where he has spent the past year and a half after a drug-related probation violation. Robbins became upset when the Miami CBS affiliate approached him and asked whether he’d be able to stay off drugs now that he was free.

I’m not worried about that and that’s not anybody’s business but mine. That’s something I’ll deal with myself,” Robbins said. “You know what, cancel this, erase this. Erase what you got, I don’t want any part of this s–t.”

Robbins was placed on probation after he pleaded guilty in 2005 to five charges, including attempted murder, over a fight with three police officers.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “Ex-Raiders center Barret Robbins released from prison”
  1. green41563 says: Sep 25, 2012 7:52 PM

Good for him. Mental illness destroys more lives than all other diseases, combined.

Just hope he can stay on the medication and make progress.

2. radrntn says: Sep 25, 2012 7:57 PM

I’ll never forget walking into the SB game in san diego, when my friend was listening to the radio, and said barrett robbins was awol, and they found him in tijuana……..he then said jimmy the greek stated that if you ever wanted to fix a game , fix it with the center……..that was an omen of waht was to come that afternoon.

Robbins was a beast. He was shot several times by the cops and survived that. I hope he is on his meds, and can stay on the strait and narrow.

3. jimnaizeeum says: Sep 25, 2012 7:59 PM

=================================
    Hope he doesn’t move near me.

4. humb0lt says: Sep 25, 2012 8:00 PM

They had to release him to free up a cell for Rolando McClain.

5. villa41 says: Sep 25, 2012 8:00 PM

This guy had the potential to be one of the best centers ever, not just for the Raiders but in the NFL as a whole. He played some really good football for Oakland and could have taken a spot along side Otto, Dalby, and Mosebar as the next great Raiders center.

It’s a shame. I hope he finally gets his personal demons sorted out.

6. mpoles says: Sep 25, 2012 8:05 PM

Robbins’s story is a really sad one. The Raiders are far better than most NFL teams at looking after their players, but a part of me thinks that the team let him down, both before Tijuana and after his career was over.

The cases are different, but this and the Seau case show that mental health issues can be very serious for former players. I don’t know what the answer is, but I’d like to see someone in the league or the NFLPA look into post-career mental health issues and at least consider if there is anything that can be done to make these cases less frequent.

7. nathanbetz91 says: Sep 25, 2012 8:55 PM

If anyone believes whole heartedly in the justice system in our country after reading this, then they are as insane as this guy.seriously like 7 years for attempted murder!?

8. onebucplace says: Sep 25, 2012 9:01 PM

If the Raiders had him on their team they might have only lost the Super Bowl 48-24 instead of 48-21. Of course if the refs didn’t give the Raiders a BS TD on Porters non-catch they would be back at 48-14.

9. covercorner says: Sep 25, 2012 9:08 PM

Are the Raiders going to resign him?

10. thefiesty1 says: Sep 25, 2012 9:21 PM

Sounds a little angry. Apparently didn’t get a enough rehab at Dade Correctional.

11. nofunleague says: Sep 25, 2012 9:22 PM

Humbolt, I thought you were going to say, to make room for Rodger and the replacement refs.

12. jason9696 says: Sep 25, 2012 9:33 PM

This guy is lucky to be alive. Didn’t the police shoot him a few times?

13. WingT says: Sep 25, 2012 9:55 PM

Whew, that’s good news. Rehabilitation complete

14. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Sep 25, 2012 10:00 PM

Jerry Jones needs a center….Don’t even think about it Jerry!

15. lazcop says: Sep 25, 2012 10:00 PM

Let me tell you. Miami beach police is Very dirty police dept. can’t believe all what they say. I know Barrett might have issues but I know how how Miami beach runs biz! Hope all goes well for Barrett. Great guy met him in Miami one time. Go Raiders!!

16. souldogdave says: Sep 25, 2012 10:07 PM

Humbolt, even tho you live for this, I must say once again you and your vw bus should just burst into flames. What a cheap punk you are!Hey, RYAN LEAF, you sd idiot.I wish I could meet you, just to confirm what a pathetic basement dweller you are.See you soon, the Raiders will destroy you.

17. Raider-in-PA says: Sep 25, 2012 10:37 PM

God bless Barrett… Nobody (especially DUM-bolt) what mental patients deal with on a daily basis…

18. surly1n1nd1anapol1s says: Sep 25, 2012 10:46 PM

How about this journos? Leave people alone.

19. prideandpoise says: Sep 25, 2012 11:05 PM

As much as I like sticking up for my Raiders, after reading his comments he made fresh out of leaving prison, this dude is a low life.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s back in jail in another 6 months. It’s one thing to have a problem and seek help, and it’s another to repeatedly make the same mistakes over and over again.

20. montsta says: Sep 25, 2012 11:59 PM

I thought this guy died? Hand o god I did. Was there some other raider player that died a few years back that had issues that I’m confusing him with?

21. j0esixpack says: Sep 26, 2012 12:02 AM

I say we give him a shot as replacement official.

He’s got to be an improvement

22. torturedraiderfan says: Sep 26, 2012 6:42 AM

I saw a piece on Real Sports about Robbins. He lost wife and kids due to his mental illness. He seems like a lost soul. Very sad. I really hope he gets his life back on track. He’s been through enough. He deserves some happiness.

23. raidernation210 says: Sep 26, 2012 12:59 PM

The Raiders did not lose the Super Bowl because of Barrett Robbins. They lost because John Gruden was the coach, it’s that simple. He built that team into a Super Bowl team, he made Gannon an MVP of the league so of course he would know how to beat them. He could have beaten them with the 0-16 Lions because he knew all their plays and audibles and tendencies, especially Gannon’s. Worst mistake of Al Davis’s career trading him.

24. warchief01 says: Sep 27, 2012 1:36 AM

Raidernation210 You are absolutley right. That’s the very reason they lost. With Gruden on the other team as head coach they didn’t have a chance when they walked in there. He new every play in the book and every move they made. Davis never should have let him go. He was probably the best coach they have ever had. One of the top three anyway with Madden and Flores. He was definitely a Raider. He just fit like he belonged.