Brandon Marshall apologizes for airing out Warren Sapp publicly

Brandon+Marshall+Chicago+Bears+v+Green+Bay+-L1wzSBZsdGl

Bears wide receiver Brandon Marshall grabbed some headlines for himself earlier this week after he released a pair of videos angrily responding to Warren Sapp after Sapp called him a “retard” on The Dan Patrick Show last week.

Marshall lacerated Sapp for the former defensive tackle’s marital problems, financial problems and his approach to fatherhood. Marshall addressed the videos with reporters on Thursday and said that he stood by his criticisms of Sapp, but that he regretted airing his grievances in such a public venue.

“That thing started like a year ago. It was actually Sterling Sharpe that made the comment, and I made the comment back last year. It took me by surprise last year. I will say, if I could do it again, I really meant everything I said, but I think it would have helped him more if I would have kept it private,” Marshall said, via ESPNChicago.com. “So I apologize to Warren Sapp for saying that publicly. Like I said, I meant everything I said, but where I’m at in my life I need to learn from that and definitely keep that private. It started off as something he said publicly, and I talked to him a little bit privately over e-mail and it didn’t go the way I wanted it to. So we’ll both learn from this and be better men.”

Unless Sapp decides to fan the flames in the next few days, that would seem to be the end of that.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “Brandon Marshall apologizes for airing out Warren Sapp publicly”
  1. jhein23 says: Sep 27, 2012 4:02 PM

Warren Sapp shoots his mouth of at so many people. But when it came time to promote his book he didn’t want to answer any questions about all of the problems he has brought upon himself and others.

2. cakemixa says: Sep 27, 2012 4:03 PM

He shouldn’t apologize for airing it out public. I mean, Sapp called him a retard on a radio show to begin with.

3. paulycoasters says: Sep 27, 2012 4:04 PM

Warren Sapp claimed bankruptcy, he’s the retard.

4. ppc50 says: Sep 27, 2012 4:07 PM

What he said was actually factual and a good response to Sapp’s comment. I don’t think he needs to apologize one bit. He is definitely maturing and I hope he continues on a positive path.

5. 4ever85 (aka Butch DeadLift) says: Sep 27, 2012 4:07 PM

If Sapp were smart, he’d shut the he77 up. Marshall dissected him like Hannibal Lecter.

Then again, Sapp and “smart” are antithetical.

6. dutchhmaster says: Sep 27, 2012 4:09 PM

As a Dolphins fan, I have a tough time supporting Marshall. But, he appears to have matured and has his head on straight at the moment. So kudos to him for that.

Plus, if there is someone that I dislike more than Marshall, that guy would be Warren Sapp.

7. nyfcat says: Sep 27, 2012 4:18 PM

Sapp swing, Marshall swung back. At least Sapp’s not a woman.

8. kattykathy says: Sep 27, 2012 4:20 PM

Way to go.
    Sapp is such a pathetic excuse for a man. I’m happy to see someone blast him like Brandon did.

9. jmoss850 says: Sep 27, 2012 4:24 PM

Man i smell a 3 td game for Marshall vs Cowgirls this week!!

10. godofwine330 says: Sep 27, 2012 4:29 PM

Sapp got Ether’d (for those unfamiliar with Nas it means he got burned). Those in glass houses, Warren Sapp. Those in glass houses.

11. irishnativeson says: Sep 27, 2012 4:31 PM

While I’m in no way defending Sapp, his reputation precedes him. Why, specifically did he call Marshall a retard? If it was related to football then he may have had a point. And for Marshall to attack Sapp over personal, as opposed to professional, football related issues, is kind of a bitch move.

12. hehateme2 says: Sep 27, 2012 4:35 PM

Now if he could just grab the ball like he grabs headlines he’d be on to something.

13. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins says: Sep 27, 2012 4:36 PM

It’s good to see Marshall beginning to think twice and realizing his actions aren’t always the best. With that said, there’s nothing incorrect about what Marshall said, and while he’s right that he didn’t need to say it publicly, Sapp did have it coming.

14. chi01town says: Sep 27, 2012 4:50 PM

Sapp this is your chance to let this go. Under normal circumstances I like the QB KILLA… but dont attack my team with a microphone an a TV camera. Marshall is Chicago’s #1 WR an one of the teams best players. Let this go Sapp the HOF is waiting for you.

15. manofsteel22 says: Sep 27, 2012 4:53 PM

Good for Brandon, great to see him being the bigger man.

That aside @jmoss850

You are aware Cutler is his Qb right ?

16. purpleguy says: Sep 27, 2012 4:58 PM

If he really wanted to offend Sapp, he should’ve said he was a lousy dancer.

17. Max says: Sep 27, 2012 5:01 PM

Two way street… I see nothing wrong with what Brandon said and how he went about it… Can’t throw stones if you live in a glass house.

18. vbe2 says: Sep 27, 2012 5:27 PM

Sapp is an uneducated fool. NFL Network NEEDS to fire his sorry butt!

19. thelastpieceofcheese says: Sep 27, 2012 5:41 PM

Sapp was right. Marshall is a retard!

20. namaths5thofwhiskey says: Sep 27, 2012 6:26 PM

Why is he apologizing for a very mature response? Cmon man.

21. 2ndaryinsanity says: Sep 27, 2012 8:04 PM

I think Marshall is being entirely too hard on himself. Sapp publicly called him a retard. Marshall gave a mature, rational response.
    Sapp got what he deserved.

22. larryboodry says: Sep 27, 2012 9:15 PM

irishnativeson says: Sep 27, 2012 4:31 PM

————————————–
    Marshall has Borderline Personality Disorder, so for Sapp to call him a retard (for ANY reason) is the real bitch move.

Sapp got what he deserved.

23. mrmafaka says: Sep 28, 2012 11:19 PM

Marshall need not apologize for publicly humiliating Sapp. When isn’t The NFL network demanding Sapp make enormous apologies for using the “R” word, I really believe had this been a white person that said the “R” word they would of taken Jesus off the cross and put them up there instead. When is the NFL Network going to give Sapp his walking papers, with his track record its just a short matter of time till he really says something even more offensive, the more they let him get away with running his jowls, the more he thinks he can do and say what ever he wants. Websters defines Sap as a ‘fool’ how appropriate.

24. twelsh36446 says: Sep 30, 2012 7:42 AM

Warren Sapp is a sap. The man has a mouth about the size of Texas talks crap about people , so anyone that talks crap about this sucker has a right too. He is fair game.