Reggie Wayne’s getting older, but playing some of his best football

Andrew Luck,  Reggie Wayne AP

Reggie Wayne admits he was close to leaving the Colts, and that he left money on the table to stay.

But even though the veteran wide receiver was retained to be a security blanket for rookie quarterback Andrew Luck, he’s still getting it done on the field.

The longest-tenured Colt has been targeted a league-high 40 times this season, and his 23 catches are the fourth-most in the league and the most he’s had at this point in the season in his 12-year career.

He gets open,” Luck said, via Mike Chappell of the Indianapolis Star. “He has an uncanny knack for, when it’s a zone, [knowing] where the hole is going to be based on where the other routes are running. When it’s man, he’s got all the tricks up his sleeve.

“It’s an honor for me just to throw the ball to him.”

But staying in Indy was far from a given for the 33-year-old wideout, who had plenty of offers, and said he left “probably a minimum of $3 million” on the table.

“I was close. Very, very close,” Wayne said of leaving. “But just one team, probably two teams, Colts fans wouldn’t have liked.”

It’s thought one of those was New England, but Wayne grinned and said: “I’ll never tell.”

The three-year, $17.5 million contract, which included a $7.5 million signing bonus, might not have been the biggest he could have gotten, but there’s no place he’d have gone where he’d have been so needed.

“Oh, yeah, I knew I was,” he said. “I knew it was going to be like this, me and a bunch of new faces. Once we released all the guys that had been here for years, I knew it was going to be weird. . . .

“Sometimes I walk in this locker room and I’m like, ‘Wow.’ “But I knew what I was getting myself into. I would never have any regrets. I’m going to use this and run with it.”

And he’s still running, and catching, at a pace similar to when he played with another top-picked quarterback.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Reggie Wayne’s getting older, but playing some of his best football”
  1. bucrightoff says: Sep 27, 2012 10:41 AM

Hard not to like and respect Reggie Wayne. A pro’s pro.

2. rajbais says: Sep 27, 2012 10:42 AM

Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison are Both future Hall of Famers, Hands down!!!

Peter King Is wrong for saying that their possible lack of entry should be because they had Peyton Manning as their quarterback when Marvin Harrison was a productive rookie with Jim Harbaugh when rookie wide receivers had a harder time adjusting in the 1990s compared to the 2000′s. King told a Boston radio station this back in 2009 and I’m not joking.

Wayne and Harrison to Canton!!!!

3. philtration says: Sep 27, 2012 10:55 AM

Wayne made some great catches against the Bears in week one and they had good coverage on him.
    He bailed Luck out a few times in that game even though they lost.

4. andrewluckdontgiveawhat says: Sep 27, 2012 10:56 AM

Reggie Wayne = Not a diva.
    It’s refreshing to see a WR go about his business without the need for childish antics, and reality show escapades.

5. zoxitic says: Sep 27, 2012 10:59 AM

He was dropping and bobbling balls against the Jaguars.

6. eventhorizon04 says: Sep 27, 2012 11:14 AM

On behalf of the rest of the league, I want to thank Wayne for not going to the Patriots.

I like it when guys stay loyal to their original franchise later in their careers, and I like it when elite guys choose NOT to go to New England, so I love Wayne’s decision.

His mindset should be like Donald Driver – spend most of his career with a Hall of Fame QB (Favre) but stick around long enough to see the promising replacement grow into a Pro Bowler and perhaps Super Bowl MVP (Rodgers).

7. scotchrocks says: Sep 27, 2012 11:32 AM

Not sure if he or Harrison will get in. The WR slot is about to be jammed packed with people who all have cases to be in the Hall.

I’m still amazed Cris Carter isn’t in.

8. malvaren18 says: Sep 27, 2012 11:40 AM

Reggie Wayne is for sure the best player the Colts have.

9. ravenution says: Sep 27, 2012 12:05 PM

Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne were very good players, but not Hall of Fame good. Good personalities though…. as far as anyone knows.

10. homelanddefense says: Sep 27, 2012 12:30 PM

Im pretty sure he all but admitted that New England was the other team during this offseason. Almost positive I read it on here too.

11. colts419 says: Sep 27, 2012 12:35 PM

Hey ravesunation, go check Marvin harrisons standing on the wr relevant all time lists then say hes not a HOF’er.

12. aboveaveragejoe11 says: Sep 27, 2012 3:32 PM

Random observations about Wayne:

Colts fans are lucky to have had two of the best pairs of hands in Harrison and Wayne.

Reggie’s performance in week 1 was sick – I counted FOUR one-handed catches. It was a season’s worth of highlights in one game.

Glad to see there was no backlash about Reggie speaking out about Kerry Collins last season. He was 100% correct and Collins was worse than Painter et al, and that’s BAD.

Who takes less money to stay with a rebuilding team? Reggie! Reggie! That’s truly rare these days.

13. scchamil says: Sep 27, 2012 9:14 PM

rajbais says:Sep 27, 2012 10:42 AM

Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison are Both future Hall of Famers, Hands down!!!

Wayne and Harrison to Canton!!!!

ravenution says:Sep 27, 2012 12:05 PM

colts419 says:Sep 27, 2012 12:35 PM

————

You know what I think might be a small blip in Marvin Harrison’s otherwise sterling HOF resume… that time he shot a guy and then had him murdered for testifying against him.

Now Peter King might be right and voters might discount some of his stats because he had Peyton Manning throwing to him… but I’m pretty confident that if he loses points with the committee, it’ll either be that stat thing or the one time he murdered a guy. One of those two.