Darrius Heyward-Bey: “I’m very eager to get back”

Darrius Heyward-Bey,  Ryan Mundy AP

Despite having to be stretchered off the field and hospitalized on Sunday, Raiders receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey has no hesitation about wanting to get back on the field as soon as possible.

Always; I want to play football,” Heyward-Bey told the Contra Costa Times. “This is what I do for a living. So, definitely, I’m very eager to get back.”

So how soon is it possible? He’s listed as doubtful for Sunday and almost certainly won’t play against the Broncos, and after that the Raiders have their bye, so it will be at least two weeks before he’s back on the field. But from all indications the Raiders are optimistic that he could play when the Raiders return from their bye and play the Falcons in Week Six.

Heyward-Bey said his feeling is, the sooner the better. And he doesn’t feel any ill will toward Steelers safety Ryan Mundy for hitting him, either.

“That’s just football,” Heyward-Bey said. “I signed up to put on pads and go out there. That’s what happens out there. People get hit, people get hurt. It happens.”

Heyward-Bey said he and Mundy exchanged texts and there are no hard feelings.

“I told him, ‘Hey, it’s football,’” Heyward-Bey said.

And playing football is what Heyward-Bey wants to do, as soon as possible.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Darrius Heyward-Bey: “I’m very eager to get back””
  1. yssupasigninnamnotyep says: Sep 28, 2012 6:15 PM

Total class…he’s a great kid and works his tail off. Get back soon DHB!

2. atlho says: Sep 28, 2012 6:19 PM

Good Luck DHB. You rocked it last year. Would love to see you return for the falcs game

3. mrw423 says: Sep 28, 2012 6:22 PM

I’ve been a Raider fan for as long as I can remember and while I’ve never been incredibly huge on DHB as a player, there is no way I can’t love his attitude.

4. spellingcopfather says: Sep 28, 2012 6:27 PM

Sign Plaxco untill he comes back, if Plax sucks release him, if he plays well then let him finsh the year out!!!

5. dawsonleery says: Sep 28, 2012 6:28 PM

That was a brutal hit, DHB is handing this with complete class.

6. dealer009 says: Sep 28, 2012 6:37 PM

DHB continues to do the Raider Nation proud. Rest up good!

7. joetoronto says: Sep 28, 2012 6:37 PM

He loves the game and he’s a true team player.

Has anybody else noticed his blocking whenever McFadden breaks one?

8. tabdanger says: Sep 28, 2012 6:46 PM

An Al Davis draft pick with High Character? Hard not to like this kid and it’s obvious why Reggie kept him.

9. zeddicuszorander says: Sep 28, 2012 6:55 PM

He should’ve held onto the ball. Butterfingers.

10. demolition510 says: Sep 28, 2012 6:58 PM

Get well soon Dangerous Heyward-Bay

Suck it Cris Carter!

11. randallflagg52 says: Sep 28, 2012 7:12 PM

That’s a Maryland grad for you there. Lightning fast and a true class act. Same goes for guys like Torrey Smith, Vernon Davis and Josh Wilson.

Get well soon Darrius.

12. aaroncurryisbust says: Sep 28, 2012 7:12 PM

What a classy response. I thought he was going to be a bust but I’m so glad to see he’s turning it around and becoming productive. Good for you, DHB!

13. clickablecontent says: Sep 28, 2012 7:21 PM

I’m definitely not a Raider fan but DHB is handling this with class and a tough spirit. Made me warm to the Black Hole a little. Hope he gets back out there soon for you guys and starts tearing up the opposition.

14. freshchorizo says: Sep 28, 2012 8:25 PM

I admire DHB’s attitude and the work ethic he is known for in practice and on game day. BUT, I’m very curious to see what the recieving group can do with him on the sidelines. Hagan and Streater will get a lot more playing time this Sunday and it could bode well for the Raiders.

15. masterblaster78 says: Sep 28, 2012 9:37 PM

Most everyone called DHB a bust. I said give him 3 years and then judge him. He had a great season last year because of his intense work ethics. He works hard and long on the field even after most have already left. I’m sure the longer he plays the better he becomes. His hands are still a question, but he’s getting better. I still think he’s better than the prima-donna Crabtree who cried because he wasn’t the 1st WR taken in the draft. GO RAIDERS

16. sactomkiii says: Sep 28, 2012 11:47 PM

Good to hear he’s going to me OK. I thought he was dead when they first put him on the cart.

17. tdk24 says: Sep 28, 2012 11:55 PM

Just another reason why he was a better pick over Crabtree.

18. spellingcops says: Sep 29, 2012 2:39 PM

Considering he was the 7th overall pick, he’s been a bust thus far. At least the raiders picked Jamarcus over Calvin Johnson lol. #hownottorunannflteam

19. torturedraiderfan says: Sep 29, 2012 6:52 PM

Great attitude. Nice to see a WR that isn’t a diva. Another reason to feel good about the direction of the team.