Eagles’ Rodgers-Cromartie, Babin fined

Jason Babin AP

Sunday’s loss to the Cardinals was costly to the Eagles, and it was particularly costly to two Eagles.

Eagles defensive end Jason Babin was fined $15,750 for a horse-collar tackle, while cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie was fined $7,875 for an unnecessary late hit.

Babin, who has now been fined twice in the first three games of this season, was not penalized for his horse-collar tackle, but the league office determined after looking at the tape that he should have been.

Rodgers-Cromartie was penalized for the late hit.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
13 Responses to “Eagles’ Rodgers-Cromartie, Babin fined”
  1. janvanflac says: Sep 28, 2012 5:55 PM

What’s next….$1000 for a false start or $2500 for a neutral zone infraction?

Ridiculous.

2. succulentnipples says: Sep 28, 2012 5:59 PM

Can I have a dollar?

3. clssylssy says: Sep 28, 2012 6:04 PM

I was waiting to see if they would catch the horsecollar that was so blatantly obvious to everybody watching and commented on by the announcers but missed by the refs. A horsecollar tackle to any moron who doesn’t understand the game is more dangerous than a false start!

4. crisper57 says: Sep 28, 2012 6:11 PM

DRC got pancaked by Michael Floyd on a run play. After the whistle, he popped up like a big man and waited for Floyd to turn his back before retaliating.

That was his “late hit”.

5. skolvikesskol says: Sep 28, 2012 6:12 PM

NFL players are who we thought they were. Fine ‘em!

6. chrisvegas says: Sep 28, 2012 6:19 PM

@clssylssy – You missed Janvanflac’s point. He wasn’t actually comparing offsides to a horsecollar tackle. He was using sarcasm to prove a point. The NFL is going overboard on some of these calls on defensive players, this is afterall FOOTBALL! Though I suppose a MORON like you wouldn’t understand that.

Maybe the NFL is trying to collect back some of the money they lost on paying the refs. I’ve seen alot of horsecollars and this one was deserving of a penalty, but fine? Nah..

7. bigdingyguy says: Sep 28, 2012 6:27 PM

When it comes to horsecollar tackle issue, the league needs to use a scalpel instead of a chainsaw. For the most part, its as safe as any other tackle in football when done with intent to bring a ball carrier down; when done with malice, its pretty obvious.

8. geniusfan says: Sep 28, 2012 6:44 PM

“Sunday‚Äôs loss to the Cardinals was costly to the Eagles, and it was particularly costly to two Eagles.”

I’m not sure I understand this. The loss wasn’t any more costly than any other regular season non divisional loss. The Eagles are still 2-1 tied for first in the NFC East and have a big game against the Giants this week, I’d say a loss this week would be far more costly than a non-divisional loss.

Ed Reed was also fined (he lost 21,000) but for some reason this site hasn’t reported it while they have decided to report the fines of two Eagles players.

Weird.

9. kev86 says: Sep 28, 2012 6:55 PM

The Blue ballerina is coming. Thanks Le Sean.

10. birdsfan17 says: Sep 28, 2012 7:16 PM

Since when do players get fined for a horse collar tackle? This was a legal way to tackle only like 4 years ago! I understand making it illegal, but a fine?? Give me a break.

11. situsavaisprier says: Sep 28, 2012 7:37 PM

I know it doesn’t apply here, but I’m always wondering. The WR is catching a pass, he is defenseless. So the defender gives the WR a clean hard hit and not only gets penalized, but fined. My question is what should the defender do? Congratulate the guy for making the catch?

And I completely agree the fines are really getting out of hand. Maybe they will start fining guys for trash talking and hurting other players’ feelings.

12. lilrob10201 says: Sep 28, 2012 7:47 PM

DRC barely hit him after the play was over.

13. bluebongzilla says: Sep 29, 2012 1:12 AM

“Since when do players get fined for a horse collar tackle?”

Basically since Roy Williams busted TO’s leg in 2006.