Ed Reed fined $21,000 for hit on Deion Branch

Terrell Suggs,  Ed Reed AP

A big collision with Patriots receiver Deion Branch has left Ravens safety Ed Reed $21,000 lighter in the wallet.

Reed was fined because he hit Branch in the head and neck area at a time when Branch was considered a defenseless receiver. Branch did not make the catch on the play, but the Patriots picked up 15 yards because of Reed’s penalty.

Branch shook Reed’s hand on the field and said afterward that there were no hard feelings.

He’s a great player. He made a great play,” Branch said. “I wasn’t mad about the hit. I was mad that the ball came out of my hands. . . . We all know going across the middle you’re going to get hit. . . . Most time I have enough time to catch the ball and get on the ground. But he was on me so fast, I really didn’t have time to react. So, unfortunately I dropped the ball. He made a good play. We got a flag out of it. Who knows what it was.”

Reed had another big hit on Patriots receiver Julian Edelman in Sunday’s game, but the NFL reviewed that tape and decided not to fine Reed for that play.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “Ed Reed fined $21,000 for hit on Deion Branch”
  1. vasteelerfan says: Sep 28, 2012 7:03 PM

About time the cheap shot artists get their due. Cue the crying from the raven homers. Reed has been due foe awhile….

2. randallflagg52 says: Sep 28, 2012 7:09 PM

Big hits do not equal dirty hits. Even the announcers though this one was BS.

Props for Branch though for taking it like a man, and not getting up motioning for a flag, Branch seems like a class act. Some of his patriot teammates should take note, looking at you Tommy Boy.

3. randallflagg52 says: Sep 28, 2012 7:19 PM

vasteelerfan says:Sep 28, 2012 7:03 PM

==================================

Bro, don’t know if you forgot but your team has featured the likes of Hines Ward, Captain Head&Shoulders, and James Harrison. 3 of the dirtiest players of the past decade.

4. stlrldyfn says: Sep 28, 2012 7:20 PM

This time isn’t even close to getting their due. I am a big believer in karma so you will reap what you sow. All in good time…..all in good time.

5. ravenunitas says: Sep 28, 2012 7:22 PM

Really cheap shot artist huh ???
    Better look in your own back yard for the cheap shot artist…aka Ryan Clark and before retirement Hynie Ward.
    Bitter or jealously??
    Can’t wait to sweep you again…hahahahaha !!

6. ReinaLee says: Sep 28, 2012 7:26 PM

I dont really know how anyone could question whether or not this hit warranted a fine. 10 years ago I understand the question. But today??? Really??? Based on Goodell’s NFL, this is the poster image of “what not to do unless you want a fine”. LMFAO, I enjoy hard hitting, and I enjoyed the sportsmanship on both sides of the hit after it happened. I am not saying this was dirty, I am a little old school and thought it was a great play by Reed, I am simply saying, you have to know what the game will and wont allow in todays NFL, and everyone knows that a hit like that will draw a flag and fine every time. As they say in baseball, every home plate ump has his own “version” of the strike zone. So you have to pitch based on what his strike zone is, not what you think the strike zone should be. That concept applies here, you have to know what you can and cant do…

7. pickney1 says: Sep 28, 2012 7:37 PM

Respect to Deion Branch for not making a fit over getting hit. No wonder why Ed Reed ponders retirement the league has turned into the biggest
    hypocrites talking about player safety while wanting 18 games just to deepen their pockets.

8. scalfor3 says: Sep 28, 2012 7:40 PM

would’ve been clean if he’d hit him a little lower. cant be hitting the neck/head area and complain when you get the flag.

9. vasteelerfan says: Sep 28, 2012 7:42 PM

Mr. Flag, I couldn’t agree with you more( it pains me to say that about such a heartless moron as you). I want the steelers to clean it up, but I can’t make them. However, the steelers have been cited for bad hits more often. Mr reed has gotten away with way too much. Suck it up Mr flag your team does things wrong. Just man up and admit they are not gods as you think they are. They will choke as usual and you will blame the refs blah blah… Have a nice day!

10. omegaichiban says: Sep 28, 2012 7:46 PM

Hines just knocked the piss out of defensive players and they didn’t like it. Nothing dirty about him, and there were few if any teams who didn’t want them on their squad. #HeadOnASwivel

11. dubaradhandi says: Sep 28, 2012 7:49 PM

Reed is a dirty player. Got away from another hit on edleman because of stupid refs. With the defense ravens will be one and done..play off time.

12. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Sep 28, 2012 8:00 PM

Ed Reed best safety in the NFL. Let him do his thing.

13. ima9er4life says: Sep 28, 2012 8:26 PM

damn that was a nasty hit tho

14. randallflagg52 says: Sep 28, 2012 8:30 PM

vasteelerfan says:Sep 28, 2012 7:42 PM

==================================

A steeler fan in Virginia? Can you say bandwagon? I can’t take a word you say seriously. If you don’t root for your home town team you shouldn’t be a fan at all, you tarish the reputation of the few good steeler fans out there.

15. captfoxboro says: Sep 28, 2012 10:38 PM

The EDELMAN hit was equally as bad ( just wasnt called by officials )
    Smacks of Goodell Hypocrisy fining one and not the other …
    Protect the stars ( sacrifice the scrubs )

16. clemsonstillsucks says: Sep 28, 2012 11:39 PM

These boys know what they’re doing, as well as the receivers know what they’re getting into.

The NFL is just collecting attorneys fees for defending future brain injury claims…whether they be concussions or a syndrome of some sort.

17. lordrevis says: Sep 29, 2012 12:37 AM

i dont care about the fine. i dont care what anyone says. that was absolutely, positively not a dirty hit. that was an all time player making a great football play to prevent a receiver from making a catch in a key spot.

cant imagine what the nfl will look like in 5 years. probably half the qbs in the league will toss 5k yards +. what a flippin joke!

18. swagger52 says: Sep 29, 2012 12:44 AM

Brady should have been flagged for leading Branch to slaughter. I suspected Brady thought, I can either lay down before I get hit, or throw it to Branch and hope for the best. Either way…Penalty to help the Patriots.

19. mydadyourmom says: Sep 29, 2012 2:10 AM

Anyone who says Hines was a dirty player either doesn’t know the game or is a loser Ravens fan from the shattiest city in the US.

20. cylondetector says: Sep 29, 2012 4:15 AM

It was definitely a flag, but Branch did lower his head right before inpact which meant that the head/neck target was moving right til the last second – not sure how a defender is supposed to compute that type of information?!

Patriots fan, but also a fan of great players – Ed Reed is surely one of those.

21. al40110 says: Sep 29, 2012 7:05 AM

Instead of the NFL fining players for illegal hits, the player should be suspended for one game (without pay). If the player who sustained the hit misses any playing time, the player who made the hit, will be suspended for the same amount ot time. $10,000, $20,000 for some of these players is pocket change.

22. johnpfeifer4 says: Sep 29, 2012 7:08 AM

I think defensive players should start going low on receivers to avoid this penalties. That’s the only way to avoid the flags… But the result will be more blown ACL’s. If you poll the receivers, I’m sure they’d rather get hit high than low. Once a few players get injured going low, you will no longer be allowed to tackle receivers while they are catching the ball… Let them play!

23. infectorman says: Sep 29, 2012 10:04 AM

@randallflagg

“Bro”, hate to break it to you but continuously insulting “Tammy” Brady on a chat board only call attention to the fact that you got a chubby for him…

Even still, continuing to worship him ain’t gonna make him magically appear at your front door to sign your Brady Wallpaper in your bedroom or your Brady PJ’s…

P.S. no one cares about your tired, worn-out Brady drivel
    Get some new material

24. cmankinva says: Sep 30, 2012 8:24 AM

Powder puff league. The nfl is taking back every chance they can from the millionaires they have created. The hit was a hit. Look at tape over the years and tell me how that hit was a bad hit. I dont even watch the game anymore. there is nothing t watch. Its a bunch of men being forced to play to the almighty man up stairs and it seems to me they are playing peewee football.