Goodell expresses regret, tells fans, “You deserve better”

Roger Goodell AP

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has e-mailed a letter to millions of NFL fans in which he offers some thoughts about the recently concluded lockout of NFL officials.

Although Goodell doesn’t actually say “I’m sorry,” or “I apologize,” he does express “regret” and acknowledge that the lockout was “unfortunate.”

“I believe in accountability, not excuses. And I regret we were not able to secure an agreement sooner in the process and avoid the unfortunate distractions to the game. You deserve better,” Goodell wrote.

Goodell also tells fans that he believes some of the changes in the new agreement with the officials will make for a better quality of game.

“For example, beginning with the 2013 season, the NFL will have the option of hiring a number of officials on a full-time basis to work year-round, including on the field. In addition, the NFL will have the option to retain additional officials for training and development purposes, and may assign those additional officials to work NFL games,” Goodell wrote.

If the officiating does get better, that would be a positive outcome of this new agreement. But Goodell is right: Fans deserved better than having to wait through three weeks of replacement refs in order to get to this new agreement.

Permalink 66 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
66 Responses to “Goodell expresses regret, tells fans, “You deserve better””
  1. binkystevens says: Sep 28, 2012 11:32 AM

Was that written specifically to Packer fans, or just everyone?

2. gadzod says: Sep 28, 2012 11:34 AM

Just wondering, which fans did he send emails to? If it’s to season ticket holders of NFL teams, I know I didn’t get one. With that said, I don’t think he is that sorry. If the refs didn’t blow the MNF game so bad, we would still have the replacement refs going into week 4.

3. 513guy says: Sep 28, 2012 11:34 AM

Just make sure you keep the Super Bowl in the states and don’t move a franchise to London. You’re on extremley thin ice.

4. eigglesnosuperbowls says: Sep 28, 2012 11:36 AM

I guess the owners said it was ok !

5. gweez76 says: Sep 28, 2012 11:37 AM

It’s not this. It’s a pattern.

The NFL should change their mindset.

You do not own the game. You are it’s stewards. I honestly believe that if they altered their thinking it would profoundly change the way the act.

To the benefit of the game, the fans and the NFL itself.

6. orangeclipper says: Sep 28, 2012 11:37 AM

You deserve to be fired. An overpaid, hack who sucks up to the owners

7. saintsfan26 says: Sep 28, 2012 11:39 AM

You are right Goodell. We do deserve better. Now please step down so that we can move forward with a better Commissioner.

8. hunst009 says: Sep 28, 2012 11:41 AM

9. daknight93 says: Sep 28, 2012 11:42 AM

this guy just can’t admit to a mistake…replacement refs did a poor job

10. realnflmaster says: Sep 28, 2012 11:42 AM

The owners were the reason why this happened. Not Goodell. You guys are idiots.

11. stevedigre says: Sep 28, 2012 11:44 AM

Watching Thursday nights game, it is so evident that the Replacement Refs were over their heads.

The regular guys keep the game moving and by the second half, I barely realized they were there (in the good way).

12. blaksteele says: Sep 28, 2012 11:48 AM

I would much rather hear the owners hold a press conference and apologize like men, instead of some lame letter.

13. rpiotr01 says: Sep 28, 2012 11:48 AM

Tells Packer fans, “You REALLY deserve better”

14. honeybadger14 says: Sep 28, 2012 11:48 AM

Zero respect for Goodell and the owners. Just a farce from top to bottom.

15. knackstermyea says: Sep 28, 2012 11:49 AM

How about “Free” NFL season pass for the remainder of the year for starters commish? Then i may be inclined to believe you.

16. dalucks says: Sep 28, 2012 11:49 AM

Just to compare, most fans have pensions so trying to get rid of the referee’s pension does not sit well with fans. Most fans do not respond well to seeing less qualified people doing the officials job because replacements will work for less money because some fans have lost their jobs to outsourcing. Dear Roger, actions speak louder than words. Your actions lack integrity. Please stop reading prepared statements selling corporate propaganda because most fans have heard that before from the 1% trying to screw the 99% again. Roger Goodell is looking more and more like Mitt Romney everyday.

17. yssupasigninnamnotyep says: Sep 28, 2012 11:51 AM

He has nothing to apologize for…the owners do.

18. MasMacho says: Sep 28, 2012 11:51 AM

Packer fans need to get used to the idea that they were not the only team victimized by bad calls (starting with the Benson lost fumble inside his own 5 just before the PickDown pass from Wilson that wasn’t even reviewed.)

But I couldn’t help but wonder.. did Roger mean “you deserve better Officials?” or… “you deserve a better NFL commissioner?”

19. 6packsteelers says: Sep 28, 2012 11:51 AM

The owners were the ones that were behind this in the 1st place; however Goodell is the commish. That being said he has a responsibility to mitigate these issues before they happen, not after a ridiculously blown call on MNF. Goodell is the worse commissioner in the history of sports and by the time he’s done there will be a lot less fans than when he started.

20. sooverit2012 says: Sep 28, 2012 11:51 AM

If you feel so bad please show up on Sunday at Lambeau field to apologize in person.

21. rexranius says: Sep 28, 2012 11:51 AM

I got it. Apparently, when I signed up for NFL fantasy football, I didn’t “opt out” of their e-mails. I sent back a little nastygram that will be read by an intern in some third world country if it gets read at all. He can spin it all he wants, but he lost, fans lost for three weeks, real refs win and fans win going forward. So you can thank Roger for intentionally screwing the fans for three weeks before making it right.

22. tharoostah says: Sep 28, 2012 11:52 AM

gadzod says: Sep 28, 2012 11:34 AM

—————————————————-
    He sent it to you- right here on the PFT page. c’mon man. What do you want Roger to do? buy some stamps and snail mail it to you to make you feel better?

23. joecool16280 says: Sep 28, 2012 11:54 AM

I think we deserved an actual spoken statement followed my questions by the media instead of a written statement that you can hide behind.

24. upperdecker19 says: Sep 28, 2012 11:57 AM

Who knew that puppets had email accounts?

25. jtylert says: Sep 28, 2012 11:59 AM

lol @ everyone blaming Goodell for the lockout and not the owners or the referee union’s ridiculous demands.

26. dalucks says: Sep 28, 2012 12:02 PM

I have one of those corporate propaganda letters from Roger Goodell and none of it is sincere or believable in my opinion. Whatever he is selling, I am not buying.

27. prrbrr says: Sep 28, 2012 12:02 PM

Rodger,
    Sorry your made out to be the lackey in all of this, but I guess it’s why those 31 Owners and 1 CEO pay you so well. The owners are an embarrassment to the teams that they own. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again… Each one should have taken out a full page advertisement in the local paper to apologize to the fans. The fact that none of them have done this further embarrasses their stake in the NFL.

28. coutre says: Sep 28, 2012 12:05 PM

anyone from the league getting canned over this debacle?

29. glac1 says: Sep 28, 2012 12:06 PM

The officials and their union are as much to blame as the owners… I don’t know why they’re getting a free pass from the liberal media. If they think they’re worth so much and are that great then I expect perfection in every game they officiate.

30. seahawks4alltime says: Sep 28, 2012 12:09 PM

31. sooverit2012 says: Sep 28, 2012 12:21 PM

““Also, what happens if the Packers were to miss the playoffs by one game? Wouldn’t that be awesome…”

The packers lost that game before half time. The last plays was horribly officiated and as a seahawks fan I say it was an interception by Jennings,… But you should also be honest that the Packers lost that game long before the final play.”

Last time I checked there were two halfs in a game. Hawks outplayed in Pack in the first half but NOT in the second half. So they didn’t lose the game before half time. But whatever.

32. bobzilla1001 says: Sep 28, 2012 12:23 PM

What NFL fans truly deserve is another commissioner.
    Roger Goodell is the worst commissioner in NFL history. And Goodell’s ineptitude has nothing to do with referees. He’s simply ruining America’s favorite sport.

33. geauxjay says: Sep 28, 2012 12:24 PM

As a Saints fan, I am still waiting for my apology for sacrificing my coach and draft picks so that they won’t get in trouble for their concussion lawsuit.

34. lbpackfan says: Sep 28, 2012 12:24 PM

seahawks4alltime says:
    Sep 28, 2012 12:09 PM

———————————————–

…so then the Seahawks lost the game in the second half? I am sorry, but this is an insanely stupid comment. Packers made adjustments at half…shutout** the ‘Hawks in 2nd half…they didnt get barely any yards…I think they had -1 going into that last “drive”…Packers shutout first half…then comeback and establish a running game..score on 3 possessions (2 FG’s…TD) in 2nd half to win** game.

There’s 2 sides of the ball…offense/defense…just like there’s 2 halves. Anyone saying “the Packers shouldn’t have put themselves in that position” is just plain stupid.

35. geauxsaintsforever says: Sep 28, 2012 12:27 PM

Is Goodell referring to the replacement refs or the fact that he completely botched his handling of the “bounty” investigation?

36. duece5 says: Sep 28, 2012 12:29 PM

binkystevens says:Sep 28, 2012 11:32 AM

Was that written specifically to Packer fans, or just everyone?

duece5 says:

Well, he did send to ALL packer players EXCEPT the offensive line!

37. rexranius says: Sep 28, 2012 12:30 PM

“The owners were the reason why this happened. Not Goodell. You guys are idiots.”

You are splitting hairs. When we say Goodell, we know that he is the owners puppet. His job is to speak for the owners and take the praise and heat.

“The officials and their union are as much to blame as the owners… I don’t know why they’re getting a free pass from the liberal media.”

Because Goodell (on behalf of the owners) were trying to screw them out of a pension and job security without anything in return. They knew what their market value was worth, but Goodell locket them out trying to force their hand. Apparently they were worth more than Goodell (and the owners) deemed at the beginning of the lockout because eventually the NFL budged.

Free market: Don’t work if you are underpaid and no one else is competant enough to do your job. Negotiate a fair offer. Go back to work. Unfortunately for the NFL, by having a monopoly you reap the benefits, but there are still some pitfalls if you don’t keep the machine greased and the refs are an important part of that machine.

38. duece5 says: Sep 28, 2012 12:30 PM

lbpackfan says:Sep 28, 2012 12:24 PM

seahawks4alltime says:
    Sep 28, 2012 12:09 PM

———————————————–

duece5 says:

KNOCK IT DOWN!!!!!

39. pack15forever says: Sep 28, 2012 12:31 PM

About 10 years ago when we looked at the commissioners of the 4 major sports (NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL) the NFL Commissioner was hands down rated #1. Everybody laughed at Bud Selig the MLB Commissioner and referred to him as “Bud Light”. He was rated dead last. Flash forward to today and I would say that Bud Selig is now doing the best job. There hasn’t been an MLB work stoppage since 1994. MLB attendance is an an all-time high. By adding a second wildcard Selig has increased fan interest and with 6 days left in the season none of the American League playoff spots have been determined. Meanwhile, the NFL had labor troubles with the players last year and locked out the officials this year. David Stern, the NBA Commissioner had a player lock out last year and Gary Bettman, the NHL Commissioner may not be having an NHL season this year.

40. 49erforlife says: Sep 28, 2012 12:33 PM

Enough with the blah blah blah about the Monday night game! The horse is dead stop beating it. Seahawks got the W, Packers got the L. Good or bad, right or wrong… IT’S OVER. NOTHING CAN BE CHANGED!

Stop wasting space on these blogs arguing like children. Everyone has an opinion, everyone supports their team, we all get that. But the call was made. Move on to week 4. PLEASE!

41. richc111 says: Sep 28, 2012 12:38 PM

Do you find it interesting the most of the whiners on these boards are from guys who’s favorite teams have won Superbowl’s. I am a Bill’s fan and we lost a game last year on bad call on a completed pass in Cincy. Gailey when asked about it after the games commented that you can’t allow you team to be put in the situation where that can happen to your team. We needed to be better. He didn’t Whine and cry like all of the Packer Fans are now. They sucked in the 1st half. knock the ball down. Do something other than whine. Don’t let the Ref decide the game for you. Of course I didn’t see the Packer Fans cry when some of the obviously missed calls went their was and kept their drives alive. Shake it off and move on. If you don’t get into the playoff by one game it is your fault You guys were 15-1 last year so you telling me if you miss the playoffs it will be the Ref’s fault.

42. bigperm33 says: Sep 28, 2012 12:40 PM

I will give Goodell some credit for getting the deal done and admitting regret. at the same time, it is still alarming that he didn’t see this playing out in the exact way it did. hopefully he keeps this in mind the next time he has some type of negotiations, and remembers what has to be the top priority is the game itself.

43. eyeh8goodell says: Sep 28, 2012 12:41 PM

Since you claim it’s not about the financial issues, you mind telling us how trying to bust the NFLRA was supposed to improve the “longterm” quality of the game itself? Didn’t think so. It was a power/money grab. Period. We’ve seen it before in your negotiations with the players, we’ve also seen it with your negotiations with the networks. Hell, you even inserted yourself into the Packers/Favre divorce by placing some ridiculous deadline on the Packers to move him, as if you ever had the power or jurisdiction to do something like that.

44. seahawks4alltime says: Sep 28, 2012 12:54 PM

Blame the refs if you are going to moan about it. Don’t hate the teams.

Bad calls kept drives alive for BOTH teams last Monday night, and if you don’t admit that then your opinion is not worth anything.

45. gobigblue310 says: Sep 28, 2012 12:55 PM

This clown is a insane, greedy egomaniac. He will be the downfall of the NFL. I would like to know who he is referring to when he says “the fans want a 18 game schedule” or ” the fans want a team in London”. I’m a diehard fan and I’ve never met anyone who would agree with that. I would honestly compare Roger to Hitler, and I guess in the grand scheme of things I’m glad he’s only running a professional sports league and not something bigger.

46. jimyritz says: Sep 28, 2012 12:55 PM

Goodell and the owners were trying to break the Union and they failed miserably. This will be a black eye that will live forever with Goodell…

47. jusford says: Sep 28, 2012 1:01 PM

Until you reverse the outcome of the Seahawks/Packers game, you’ll receive nothing but the middle finger salute!

You and the owners have already ruined the outcome of the 2013 season, even if the Packers win the Superbowl.

48. muskyhunter2542 says: Sep 28, 2012 1:01 PM

seahawks4alltime says:
    Sep 28, 2012 12:09 PM

___________________________________________

Who was leading with 8 seconds left? Who should have won the damn game?

Need I say more?

Well just in case…
    The PI call incorrectly called on Shields
    The lame roughing call on Weldon
    The blindside shot that Greg Jennings took, then to be penilized for it…
    The slow pace of the game.

49. richc111 says: Sep 28, 2012 1:03 PM

Hey Eye… that is his job! It’s not a money grab are you kidding me. What business in the world does the employees get a percentage of the Revenue NOTE: not profit. Because this is the way it is set up anything that increases the cost of running the league do not come out of the collective pockets of everyone in the league, like it should. The total increase in cost of this new agreement over the contract I am sure if in the 100’s of Millions of dollars. I know some people out there like to act that these owners just have 100 Million Dollars layin around. I bet you one thing, if you were an owner and it was my 100’s million dollars I would have him fight! Everyone has a job to do. NFL exec’s , players ref’s but don’t give one group hell and free passes to the others when the owners, players and ref’s are walking away with Million Dollar pay packages.

50. promickey says: Sep 28, 2012 1:06 PM

Roger could just say the devil made me do it.
    We would know he was referring to the owners.

51. richc111 says: Sep 28, 2012 1:09 PM

Go Big Blue … I will make the point again. Everything you mention 18 games international games is all things done to increase revenue, which will mean play salaries go up.. you see how it works. Let face it the fan is a cog in a big machine getting bigger. Hey in my world instead of everyone getting big increases in salary year after year I would like them to cut prices to fans. That is were all the money comes from. I have the NFL Ticket. The ticket has gone up every year for the past 5-6 year at least while you get less games. (Thursday, Sunday night and Monday games aren’t covered). If you pay and you watch, that is you job. If you don’t like they way it is run stop watching. But everyone (nfl, players, ref) know you won’t!

52. cardmagnet says: Sep 28, 2012 1:13 PM

The best thing Rog could do for NFL fans is resign.

53. bigjim50010 says: Sep 28, 2012 1:16 PM

If he were an independent commissioner, given the task to run the league, maintain its business policies and practices, and grow the product I actually would be ok with this. He is just a puppet for the owners. Grumblings started the beginning of the season and this charade of everything was fine, the replacements are doing well, was played out for 3 weeks. Until everyone… not just the die hard fans… everyone saw it Monday.

Like every human being on this planet, change was forced.

fricking puppet… the words of apology ring as hollow as Golden Tate claiming he caught the ball.

54. imback03 says: Sep 28, 2012 1:17 PM

Since when did the commissioners job description become do exactly what the owners say no matter what. If that’s all he does then he is not needed. Goodell is the worst in all of sports, he stands for nothing.

55. Beneath The Tin Foil Hat says: Sep 28, 2012 1:17 PM

They did? That’s funny; I thought the Packers had the lead before that atrocious call.

56. htfan says: Sep 28, 2012 1:20 PM

Refs have been effecting the outcome of games for a long time. To get better officiating in the long run 3 weeks of replacements was well worth it.

The pension..meh..they should have left it in place for those it was promised to and changed to a 401K for future officials.

As for a replacement bench of officials. I wish the NFL would have held out longer and obtained the ability to actually fire poor officials. If an official who is performing badly knows he will get paid regardless he has less of an incentive to improve.

57. seahawks4alltime says: Sep 28, 2012 1:21 PM

“Who was leading with 8 seconds left? Who should have won the damn game?”

Why were they leading? Because of bad calls! I’m not arguing that the bad calls just went against one team or the other, I’m just saying that both teams benefited from the bad calls and both teams got screwed heavily from the bad calls. In all honesty I DO think the Packers should have won the game, but I think it is ridiculous to base that solely on one play. It’s 60 minutes of football that make the difference, and if you remove all the bad calls in that game it still would have been close, but I honestly think the Packers would have come out ahead. But there is no honesty among the fans and that is a shame. The Seahawks offense was horrible ALL game long. But the defense was stout, to say the least. The Packers offense didn’t play like we all know they are capable of. and the Pack D played really well. But above all the refs had control of that game and they were slobbering all over it. And now we are all stuck with the outcome. There isn’t, or shouldn’t be, a Seahawks fan alive that is happy about that win. But it is a win, by the NFLs terms, and we all need to deal with that.

58. totallyuselessme says: Sep 28, 2012 1:28 PM

Between sweeping all the evidence under the rug and destroying it on the Spygate thing – not to mention no suspensions – the fumbling of the Bountygate situation, and then this?

I’m pretty well convinced Goodell needs to go. Not that it matters to me, but he’s a bumbler and a schemer and I don’t think anybody trusts him anymore.

59. jibberator says: Sep 28, 2012 1:28 PM

seahawks4alltime says:
    Sep 28, 2012 12:09 PM

———————————————–

OK, its decided then. The game’s victory is always decided at half time, there is no need to play a second half! Think before you post. The game isn’t over until the clock hits zero in the 4th.

60. sooverit2012 says: Sep 28, 2012 1:41 PM

49erforlife says:
    Sep 28, 2012 12:33 PM

_____________________________
    I agree it is time to move on. However, as a 49er supporter you should be just as upset with the call. You are now tied with the Seahawks. This could effect the 49ers too in the playoffs.

61. 1greatusername says: Sep 28, 2012 1:43 PM

dalucks says :

For the record, I don’t have a pension and I consider myself an NFL fan. Been to games in many different cities, even a playoff game once. I paid for overpriced concessions & froze my tail off on several occasions. That makes me a fan, right?

I don’t even know anyone with a pension. Almost everyone I know enjoys watching football.

@dalucks: Stick to prepared statements from your union propaganda sheets. Logic isn’t your strong suit.

62. tooba2026 says: Sep 28, 2012 1:54 PM

The packers lost the game before half time? Are u kiddin me? The score was 7-0, at the half. seattle offense put themselves in a position to lose that game just as much as the packers. seattle was 2-11 on 3rd downs,packers may have givin up 8 sacks in the first half but seattles offense did nothing to take advantage of that.

63. bikerhal says: Sep 28, 2012 2:02 PM

I wish he had embodied that attitude when deciding how to punish the Saints organization, and avoided penalizing us Saint Fans.

Not gonna say anything about the issue of whether the organization was guilty (more than any other team in the NFL) in the “bounty gate”, but I don’t think the fans should suffer too. As an NFL fan of 45 years, I am qualified to give an opinion on the erosion of the fan’s importance to the league.

64. judsonjr says: Sep 28, 2012 2:27 PM

I’m not as much sick and tired of talking about the call as morons bringing up less impactful ref mistakes from earlier in the game.

As a totally generic/fictitious example, you’ll hear fans say “Well that one PI call on 3rd down in the 2nd quarter allowed them to get a TD. So that evens out that call at the end of the game.”

The problem is that the call in the second quarter didn’t really give the team a TD in most cases. Usually it lets them continue a drive, and they still have to drive many yards to actually get a TD. Early in the game a missed call like this has little impact on a team’s chances to win since there is a lot of time for the game to play out.

As you get later in the game, there is less time to recover from a mistake. In a close game, a call the reverses a turnover, negates a long TD, or gives a first down on a 3 & 22 can effectively decide the game. That same play in the first quarter might only have a 5% impact on the teams ability to the game.

And ultimately this brings up the fact that luck is involved in the game. A handful of calls over the season can make a 10 win team a 13 win team. On the flipside, a handful of bad calls can take a 10 win team to 7. I think that’s why you are seeing the 4th-6th playoff seeds winning the SB, because there often isn’t any difference in the teams that win 13 and 14 games and the team that wins 10 and gets the WC, it’s just they were on the better side of luck, injuries, favorable schedule during the regular season.

65. frankiemontana says: Sep 28, 2012 2:56 PM

Dear NFL fans, please don’t hate me I had a job to do, I had to protect the greedy owners, NOW lets get back to football and will pretend that this never happened,thank you, Roger Fidel Goodell

66. araidersfan says: Sep 28, 2012 3:35 PM

What the apology should really be for is for 35+ years of inept officiating. The replacements only looked worse because they were newbies but the returning ‘heros’ were incompetent moonlighters.

What should’ve been done ages ago would’ve been to fire the existing refs and replace them permanently with full-time officials (no moonlighting) subject to constant practice training, performance reviews etc.

So now I guess we can all rejoice over the fact that with the return of the ‘heros’ the officiating will go from dreadful to merely awful. Huge improvement.